Introduction to Pain

Twin Stars

It didn’t take long for the two to get seated despite the fact that the Italian restaurant they went to seemed to be a little popular among the crowd. Eunbyeol was guessing her best friend had subtly used his status and connection again when he talked to the receptionist. She knew the Kim’s are somehow related to the owners of the dining place, and she and her growling stomach was thankful for that.

Immediately, the two browsed through the menu they were given as soon as they entered the restaurant. A few minutes after, a waiter armed with a pen and a notepad appeared in front of them, a rather creepy smile pasted on his lips as he directed the question only to the lady in the table. “May I take your order?” He asked, gaze still fixed on Eunbyeol.

She was about to reply but Junmyeon beat her to it. “We’ll have a plate of Vongole, a plate of Chicken pesto in linguine, and a serving of baked mussels please,” he said with an air of regality in his tone. The charming smile was there so the poor waiter must not have noticed that he had touched a nerve. In fact, he even flashed the male customer an uninterested smile, just to acknowledge his order, and then brought his attention back to the girl.

Eunbyeol shook her head subtly for two reasons: first, to tell the waiter that she needed nothing else; and two, to regret the current situation the stranger had put himself into. She stole a glance on her best friend and as expected, he was staring at the man before them – with the same smile in his face, which people might easily mistake for a normal and kind one.

But then, that’s Kim Junmyeon’s magic. He can make people still feel good even when he is already setting the limit. It was a flawless tactic, which only the girl beside him can diminish into a fake stunt. She knew there was more to come.

And she was right.

“And also, kindly bring us the manager or a supervisor because I am taking note on how you’re being so bold, attempting to flirt with my fiancée in front of me,” he added as he slapped his wallet (which Eunbyeol didn’t notice he took out), his ID card out in the open.

It was obvious how the colors on the waiter’s face began to fade as soon as he realized who he had crossed. The feeling of pity was there, but Eunbyeol knew he deserved it. She was never a fan of suggestive and harassing stares and grins. And she was starting to grow uncomfortable with the waiter’s presence, so she had to give credits to Junmyeon’s sensitivity to actually defend her.

“Y-yes s-sir,” the poor staff stuttered as he scrambled away.

Junmyeon chuckled as he leaned back on his chair. “Serves him right,” he mumbled as he slid his wallet back into the back pocket of his jeans.

Eunbyeol smiled. “Are you serious though?” She asked.

The boy’s eyebrow raised as their eyes met. “About what?”

“About that waiter, of course,” she replied. “It wasn’t that much of a big deal anyway so will you still be talking to the manager?”

This time, Junmyeon actually laughed. “I am not going to tolerate anyone who will disrespect my best friend,” he said as he leaned forward to ruffle her hair. “But if your being soft-hearted is currently on, then I promise I won’t tell him off to the higher-ups,” he added with that usually charming smile of his.

Eunbyeol returned the pleasure of smiling back as she bent her head down to hide the now-flushing red cheeks of hers. The heart across her chest was thumping wildly again as she played every word her best friend just told her, and relished the comfort of that simple touch. How he protects her was beyond what she could ask for and she was just so lucky, right? Could it be…

“By the way, I need to talk to you about something.”

Her thoughts were easily cut off when Junmyeon spoke. Instantly, the atmosphere around them turned gloomy and strict; and Eunbyeol felt like something’s coming – something she wouldn’t like.

“What is it?” The girl tried hard not to stutter.

Junmyeon pouted and titled his head to the side as if thinking. “Well, you see, we’re in an arranged marriage technically,” he started. “And I realize that we need to set limitations on what we are going to involve ourselves on in terms of each other,” he said.

Eunbyeol’s world stopped at the word ‘limitations.’ “What do you mean?”

“I mean I want us to create a contract that we will abide by during our married life until we decided to divorce,” Junmyeon explained. “The contract should contain our conditions on this deal like the parameters of our individual privacy, and all.”

The girl felt like her mind was drowning from too much technicalities. The fluttering feeling inside her was now replaced with a dislikeable emotion. She abhorred the idea of a contract in their set-up because she knew it was a way of setting straight that they cannot be more than just friends.

And for the first time, she totally admitted to herself that she doesn’t like the sound of it.