Friends for a Moment

You + Me (This Equation Is Easy!)

"I thought you didn't date juniors," Kyuhyun smirked as he watched Heechul approach the table he was sitting at.

"I don't, but I can be friends with them," Heechul replied sitting down.

"But you obviously did yourself up right? You don't get dressed up unless it's a date," Kyuhyun went on.

Heechul blushed and smiled, tucking his blonde hair behind his ear. "I didn't put too much effort into it, so don't flatter yourself,"

"Oh so you just look this amazing all the time I get it," Kyuhyun nodded.

To Kyuhyun's pleasure Heechul's blush darkened and dimples appeared on his cheeks from his wider grin. 

"Yah, buttering me up isn't going to change my mind you know. It'll make me feel better but that's about it," he said.

Kyuhyun didn't believe him of course.

"Maybe I should watch out, I wouldn't want to be attacked by your prince charming,"

Heechul tugged on his hair, biting his bottom lip in a way that made Kyuhyun go crazy. 

"We're not really...I mean he's not really my..." he muttered.

"You're not dating?" Kyuhyun asked confused.

"No we just...fool around a little," Heechul admitted. "I think he's in love with me, but I...it's complicated."

"Complicated like football player complicated?" Kyuhyun pressed.

"Okay, new rule. When we're together you're not allowed to ask me about Siwon or Hannie." Heechul said.

Kyuhyun pouted. He noticed Heechul seemed to...change...

"What?" he asked.

"Don't...do that," he muttered. "You look so...cute..." he looked away embarrassed. "Makes me just wanna spill all my secrets, so quit it, that much cuteness is also not allowed. No more pouting or I'll take you home and lock you in my closet forever,"

"I wouldn't object," Kyuhyun shrugged.

"I think my father would take issue with me keeping a junior student in my closet though, so bad luck," Heechul replied. 

"Pity,"

Heechul chuckled. He ordered an expresso, to go, and Kyuhyun simply asked for the same, though when Heechul got up, taking his coffee, motioning for him to follow, he got curious.

"I can't sit in one place too long, makes me fidget," Heechul explained.

Kyuhyun followed him down the street, sipping his coffee and just enjoying being away from the house.

"So, Kyuhyun," Heechul said. "The situation at home, I'm guessing it's not good?"

"Dad's still pressuring me to follow in his footsteps, and mum doesn't really have an opinion on the matter." Kyuhyun replied.

"Do you have anything else you want to do? Any other passion?" Heechul asked.

"I..." Kyuhyun blushed deeply, which cause quite a bit of commotion for Heechul.

"Omo! Why are you -? You don't wanna be like a stripper or something do you?"

"No!" Kyuhyun squealed.

"Then why the flushed face?"

"I just..." Kyuhyun blushed again. "You told me I needed to find my inspiration. And...I think I have,"

"What is it? Is it something good?" Heechul cried.

"Something...incredible," Kyuhyun said evasively. "I've been taking vocal lessons for a few months now because Sungmin-hyung wanted to me to record some singing to go along with his guitar pieces. I never considered doing anything with it and I certainly didn't tell father what I was doing. But..."

"But...?" Heechul prompted.

"You're a first class student, you have lots of different skills and you manage to balance them together. Seeing you perform on stage, I could see how happy that made you. It was like....you were unhinged, free to be you. I want to feel like that too, and I really enjoy singing. Your music made me feel alive, and I...kind of made you my inspiration," Kyuhyun looked away, red as a tomato.

"Me?" Heechul stopped in his tracks, staring at Kyuhyun like he didn't know him. "I made you interested in singing?"

"You're so confined in the normal world, when you perfom I feel like I'm seeing the real you. That freedom, is something you represent, and something I want to be."

"Aigoo, that's too deep for someone so young," Heechul continued walking, though he looked more embarrassed than Kyuhyun had ever seen him. 

"Gotta start somewhere," Kyuhyun smiled. "Ne, Heechul-ah?"

Heechul smiled over his shoulder at him. 

They stopped to eat at a little sandwich place Heechul claimed was "the best" for lunch.

Kyuhyun however, somehow managed to make his sandwich explode while trying to open the package it came in, covering most of himself in it, sending Heechul into a wave of hysterical laughter.

"Yah would you shut up for five seconds and help me?" Kyuhyun whined in the bathroom trying to clean up the mess.

"Aigoo Kyuhyunnie, I'm sorry you just look so stupid right now," Heechul cackled.

"Thanks for reminding me. I could look like an idiot for a little less time if you'd HELP me," Kyuhyun raged.

Heechul went right on cackling. When Kyuhyun finally managed to clean up and drag his shamed out of the sandwich bar and back onto the street, Heechul held out half of his sandwich in front of his face.

"If you take it from my hand it won't explode, my touch is magic," Heechul explained with a cute smile, again showing those dimples Kyuhyun was starting to love.

Kyuhyun gave him an odd look before biting at the sandwich hovering in front of his face, and Heechul slowed down so he could feed Kyuhyun safely without choking him and dropping it on the sidewalk.

Heechul giggled. "We should do this more often, it's much more fun than being out with Masi and Hannie. Kyuhyunnie's much cuter for one,"

Kyuhyun blinked, finally registering the new nickname. 

"Hey," he said. "You called me Kyuhyunnie,"

"You don't like it?" Heechul looked crestfallen.

"No I...I like it it's just...unexpected," Kyuhyun admitted.

"I give nickname to the people I like, my friends and family as such," Heechul explained. "I rarely call Siwon and Hankyung by their names anymore, unless I'm upset with them."

"I thought we weren't talking about them,"

"I said you couldn't ask, nothing about me talking about them myself. I can tell what you want to know and no, I am not in love with either of them, though they're in love with me. They've been fighting over me since junior high, I kept it even by picking neither. They're both my friends I don't want to have to choose between them that's horrible."

"But you like Hankyung hyung more," Kyuhyun stated.

"Hannie's...gentler. Personality wise he's my type, physcially Siwon is. I'm feminine and delicate, I prefer strong men on my arm. It's not a requirement of course, I like what I like I look at physical appearance last." Heechul said. "Like I said it's...complicated. I've played around with both of them, but not much with Siwon anymore. He's gotten too...controlling."

Kyuhyun stayed silent, not knowing what to say. He was nothing like either of the men already in Heechul's life, how could he possibly hope to compete?

"I'm done with this 'ideal type' nonsense. I just want a guy that's fun to be with and I don't have to lie to in order for them to like me. I've never taken my wig off with Siwon, and I convinced Hannie the blonde hair was the wig," Heechul said.

"So...I'm the only one who knows it's your real hair?" Kyuhyun asked.

Heechul went a curious shade of pink. "You were the first one I told, there was no point of hiding it now. Even my family doesn't know I dyed my hair. I don't know I just...felt I could trust you,"

Kyuhyun's chest swelled. "Well, I think it suits you. It's unique and it's beautiful," he said flicking the blonde bangs. "Just like you."

Heechul ducked his head, tugging nervously on his hair. "Thank you," he murmured. 

The day came to an end far sooner than Kyuhyun liked, and he was forced to watch Heechul walk home on his own.

"We should do this again, it was fun." Heechul smiled.

"Next time I'll teach you to paly Starcraft," Kyuhyun said.

"Olny if you let me teach you piano," Heechul bribed.

"Deal."

Heechul beamed. "I warn you though, if we play console games I'll kick your , I'm the king of video games."

"Is there anything you're not good at?" Kyuhyun chuckled.

"Dancing." Heechul smirked. "And being romantic. And talking about feelings. Oh, and chess."

Kyuhyun laughed, even though it depressed him to see Heechul wave and turn to leave, leaving him to walk back into his cold apartment.

He snuck his way down the hall and into his room, his parents weren't home from work yet so he would pretend to be doing homework when they got back.

An hour later his phone buzzed with a text message. It was from Sungmin.

So how did you date go?? - Sungmin

It wasn't a 'date', hyung doesn't date juniors remember? - Kyuhyun

Well it must have been something special because Taemin tells me Heechul hyung literally won't shut up about it - Sungmin

Really?? - Kyuhyun

He says he's still talking about you. What did you do exactly? - Sungmin

I...nothing. Just, me stuff. - Kyuhyun

Well whatever you did, Taemin says it's the most excited Heechul hyung's been since the band released that hit single - Sungmin

Kyuhyun sat back, thinking.

If he were older...maybe it wouldn't be a problem. If it was just his age, not him personally...

He jolted as his phone alerted him of another message. It was from Heechul this time.

Kyuhyunnie, Sapphire Blue is to attend the opening of the new auditorim downtown...I was wondering if you'd like to be my plus one? Henry's bringing your friend Sungmin if you're worried about being alone - Heechul

What does being a plus one mean? - Kyuhyun

Basically you just come to the opening with all the officals and stuff, we're the opening act so you'll be our VIP, and then pretty much we party after and you're invited to come with us. If the major likes our performance it could mean big things for the band. That's a lot of pressure and...it would mean a lot to me if you came. - Heechul

Kyuhyun didn't have to think twice.

When is it? - Kyuhyun

Next week - Heechul

I'll be there - Kyuhyun

Really? Thank you Kyu, I appreciate it. I'll have to work your lessons around practise, unless you wanna tag along to that. Might be a chance to improve on your singing too, though you don't need much improving there - Heechul

Are you flirting with me Kim Heechul? - Kyuhyun

Mmmm.....maybe - Heechul

No dating juniors right? - Kyuhyun

Riiiight, flirting however is fine. I love to get under your skin babyKyu kkkk - Heechul

Oh it's babyKyu now? Way to make me feel ten years younger - Kyuhyun

Aw poor Kyukyu kkk I have to stop talking now, Hannie's here to study and he's making weird faces at me - Heechul

Wait why weird faces? - Kyuhyun

Cause apparently I'm making giddy schoolgirl noises when I read your texts and it's making him uncomfortable, in any case I have homework to do, I'll see you bright and early for your lesson tomorrow and I expect to see some improvement. I'll have a test for you - Heechul

Kyuhyun read and re-read the last text over and over. 

Heechul was a headache. Did that mean he liked him or what? This was driving Kyuhyun slowly crazy, but he couldn't help but feel it would be worth it.

Just a little time and maybe he could show Heechul his age didn't matter. 

Then maybe...just maybe...

Kyuhyun sighed, and got back to his studying.