The Illustrious Kim Heechul

You + Me (This Equation Is Easy!)

When next Kyuhyun walked into the classroom after another tiring day, it was to an angry looking Heechul.

He looked much the same as he did the previous day, but he fixed a disappointed look at Kyuhyun as he made his way to his desk.

"Your teacher tells me you had a...altercation with him today," he said.

"If you mean I yelled at him because he's a nosy moron then yeah," Kyuhyun huffed sitting down.

"What happened Kyuhyun-ssi?"

​"I was in the mood for working!" Kyuhyun exploded. "Then he comes up to me and starts lecturing me about how great my father was at school and how successful he is now and why aren't I more like him and I just got angry and started yelling. I couldn't help it."

"So it was just a bad day?" Heechul said gently.

"And he's a jerk," Kyuhyun added.

"Oh I know that."

Kyuhyun blinked. "Huh?"

"You have Professer Cha right? So do I, I hate that guy!" Heechul cried. "He's so invasive, he once told me I was as useless as a cat flap in a elephant house. The nerve! Trust me I know how you feel,"

Kyuhyun almost laughed. "He called you that? Why?"

Heechul smirked. "In my junior years I was a troublemaker, I was throwing protractors from the back of the room because I was bored. And it wasn't my fault either, he's just so boring! He only has one tone, like he's about to drop dead. And all I ever hear in class in blah blah blah numbers blah blah blah...puts me half to sleep."

Kyuhyun did laugh this time. "Same."

Heechul grinned. "He's not the nicest teacher, but you can't let that stop you learning, you know that right?"

Kyuhyun sighed. "Yes. Dad already told me this morning I was wasting my education if I didn't try to improve my grades. As if I don't already know that."

"Lemme see if I have this," Heechul said leaning forward. "You used to be good at math, then suddenly you're not."

"I don't have the patience anymore." Kyuhyun admitted.

"You stopped understanding?"

"I - yeah. Yeah, everything became impossible to understand so I lost interest," Kyuhyun half-lied.

"I see. Then you need to find something that inspires you, to make it interesting again."

"How?"

"We'll have to find out won't we? Now, these are some worksheets I want you to go through on your own at home. I'm going to go through the first question with you, tell me if you don't understand something."

Kyuhyun nodded, and as he followed along he pointed out things he already knew, asking Heechul to explain it to him. 

"So the answer's 45?" Kyuhyun asked as though he were unsure.

"Good." Heechul replied. "You're close. It's actually 45.67. In math the exact answer is very important."

Kyuhyun's eyes widened in genuine shock. He'd gotten it wrong?

"But you're close so that's a good thing. Now try the second one on your own,"

Minutes ticked by as Kyuhyun stared at the question, finally he wrote down an answer.

"Close again. It's not 26.7, it's 28.2. An easy mistake to make."

Kyuhyun's draw dropped. He was so sure!

Heechul smirked. "Not used to being wrong I see. I'm giving you hard ones specifically to test you. Now go ahead with the rest."

Kyuhyun did, and ended up getting 4 wrong. He couldn't believe this.

"This is my level of math," Heechul admitted. "So you're doing remarkably well."

Kyuhyun gasped. "That's your level?! No wonder it was so confusing."

"Gotcha," Heechul winked. "Knew that would throw you. It's not the problems that are stumping you, you've just lost your interest. You need to get that spark back. I used to be like you too until I found something to inspire me, I think you need to do the same."

"I...I'll try."

He glanced at the clock and shot up. "Oh hyung I have - um, something important to get to...if you don't mind - "

"No problem. Go ahead, we're done for today."

"Thank you hyung!"

Kyuhyun raced out of the classroom, taking the shortcut to get there faster.

He ran all the way down into town, to the studios. He ran up the stairs to the third floor and flung himself through the door.

"Ten minutes late,"

"Sorry sorry, I was held up." Kyuhyun bowed.

"Don't let it happen again." the old professor said. "Now, do you remember where we left off?"

"Yes sir." Kyuhyun replied.

"Good. Let me here you sing it for me,"

Kyuhyun began to sing, shy at first, but more confident as he went along.

He'd have to re-schedule his math lessons so it wouldn't clash with his singing lessons in future.

But how could he do that without alerting his father? If he learned he did singing classes....

Kyuhyun shuddered to think about it.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun stashed the recording device in the bottom of his locker under his P.E gear, closing it with a tired yawn.

Fooling into Heechul into think he was an idiot was hard work, it had been a week already since his lessons had started and his schoolwork had not improved, though Heechul insisted Kyuhyun's IQ demanded better.

He heard a locker down the hall slam and he jerked his head up. 

It was Heechul. He'd slammed his locker and was glaring at a taller boy who was leaning on the locker next to him.

Stepping closer discreetly, he curiously listened to their conversation. 

"Just a yes or no, that's all I'm asking." the taller boy was saying.

"Choi Siwon I've told you a million times already, I don't want you to talk to me anymore. This is stalking." Heechul snapped.

"You're not still mad at me are you?"

Heechul sighed. "A little. You can't flash your abs at me and expect me to forgive you so easily. What you did was cheating, and really hurt Hannie."

"You're taking his side?"

"Yes! He's a good person Siwon. Masi, don't do this to me," Heechul pleaded looking away from Siwon. "Don't force me to choose. Why can't you both be my friend?"

"You know Hankyung hates me."

"You tripped him! It was his big chance! You know that dance recital meant the world to him, and you tripped him! You're just jealous of him!"

Siwon shrugged. "I make a better football player anyway,"

Heechul rolled his eyes, leaning against his locker. "It suits you better."

"Look I'm sorry alright? Yeah, I was jealous and I tripped him. I've tried to make amends but he doesn't want to talk to me," Siwon said.

"I'll talk to him. We all used to be such good friends I don't want to see it end like this." Heechul replied.

"Thanks. You'll catch my game on Saturday won't you?"

"If I don't have to tutor," Heechul answered with a smirk. "I love to see you pull off those athletic moves Masi,"

Siwon chuckled. 

"Now scram, I have dance practice with Hannie," Heechul stuck out his tongue playfully and gathered up his books.

"At lunch?" Siwon called. "Is him sweaty and shirtless more interesting than me sweaty and shirtless?"

"Don't tempt me, I might run away to watch you practice instead! Keep those chocolate abs waiting Siwon, plenty of girls looking out for them today, be a shame to disappoint," Heechul teased.

Heechul disappeared around the corner and Kyuhyun hastily gathered his things and hurried to the cafeteria to find Sungmin. 

"Hyung, is Heechul hyung gay?" Kyuhyun asked as he joined Sungmin at their table.

"He practically screams it, why?" Sungmin asked, mouth full of food.

"Does he have a boyfriend?"

"Rumour has it he and Hankyung have a thing, or him and Siwon. Or both even. Hard to tell really. Why, you sweet on him?"

Kyuhyun blushed. "No, I was just wondering." 

"Did I hear Heechul gege's name?"

Kyuhyun looked up to see a guy that resembled a chipmunk sliding in next to them.

"Oh hi Henry. Kyu this is Henry, he's in my English class."

"Hi." Henry smiled.

"Hello hyung," Kyuhyun greeted, "How do you know Heechul hyung?"

"He's my brother's best friend, he's over at our place all the time. I heard he had a student, I assume it's you?"

Kyuhyun nodded.

"How's that working out for you?"

"It's alright, the work's not too hard. Hyung says I need to find something to inspire me though, I'm not sure what he meant by that. I'd hoped to find out by learning what made him so inspired to do all that work he does." Kyuhyun replied.

"I'm inspired by cute things and bunnies," Sungmin giggled.

Kyuhyun smiled.

"I'm inspired by my Mimi," Henry replied. "Helps me focus on my studies,"

"Who's Mimi?" Kyuhyun asked.

"My boyfriend back in China," Henry blushed. "He's a little older than me, my parents had us move out here a couple of years ago in the hopes we'd break up, but he's been learning Korean so he cane move out here when I graduate,"

"Oh that's so sweet," Sungmin sighed dreamily.

Kyuhyun chuckled. 

"If your Mimi inspires you, how do you keep going being so apart?"

"Knowing every day brings me closer to him gives me the strength to keep going." Henry replied.

"I wish I had something like that," Kyuhyun sighed.

"Kyuhyun-ssi!"

​Kyuhyun looked behind them to see Heechul across the cafeteria. He crossed it in a few strides and was at their table.

From the looks of it, he did indeed just come from dance practice.

He was sweating and breathing hard, his usually neat hair was out and spilling over his shoulders, his blazer open to reveal a casual shirt beneath it, and his tie was undone. His glasses were sitting atop his head.

"I forgot I'd printed these off for you. It's my first homework assignment, so do well. If you have any questions text me okay? Do you best,"

"Alright hyung. But hyung?"

"Yes?"

"I...no never mind."

Heechul nodded. "Alright then. Henry, we need you tomorrow tonight, can you come in?"

"Sure thing gege."

"Excellent, I expect you an hour early for rehearsal. I'll see you there, don't let Hannie make you two late alright?" Heechul sped off again down the hall, Kyuhyun staring after him in a daze.

He'd never seen Heechul so disheveled before. It was...y.

Really, really y. 

He swallowed.

"Not sweet on him huh?" Sungmin smirked.

Kyuhyun shuddered. "I just um - it's not that I just..."

Henry chuckled. "Aw look at that, adorable."

"Don't tease. It's not my fault he's gorgeous with his damned milky skin and perfect hair and voice like melted chocolate and eyes like starlight, a face that was made in heaven, smile that makes my insides melt..."

Kyuhyun shook himself. "I mean - shut up!"

But he couldn't be heard over his laughing friends.

"I hate you both." he pouted.

"Oh come on Kyu we're just making fun," Sungmin teased.

"Sounds like gege has you whipped." Henry added. "Pretty badly too."

"Henry hyung you know him, is it true he has a boyfriend?" 

"Well...he and Hankyung gege are close but I've never seen them that close. Siwon's another contender but Heechul's not really into the type like him, at least not seriously."

"Tell me what you know about him." Kyuhyun demanded.