Connections to the Past

My Six Voodoo Dolls II

"It's late. Your friends might be looking for you."

Jae Ren hummed.

"What?" GD looked at her weirdly. "Maybe the altitude isn't so good for you..." They were at the top of his house at the top of a mountain. He didn’t know why she suddenly asked to see where he lived.

"No. It'd just that you called them 'friends' this time. Usually it's 'kiddies', 'annoying runts', 'dorks' and a million other insults you change daily." She explained. She stood up from the stone stairs that wound around the mountain where GD's subdivision was. "Right. I should go. Thanks for your time."

"Not at all." He said, standing up as well. "You didn't tell me what was bothering you, you know. Don't you think you owe me that?" They had gotten close. It was as if they had known each other for years already.

"No... This is different. Goodbye, Jiyong. Thank you, again." She sprinted down the steps before he could even offer to walk her home. She didn't really spend much time there. She just wanted to see where the Tamer subdivision was; The Mountainous Region. That and she had to prepare herself for later.

She had to know N's side of the story- his perspective of just who Seohae was. Jae Ren knew a few details, and those only made her madder at Leo.

She was a thief and a murderer. Jae Ren angrily recalled the notes Jaekyuns journal. But she also remembered Leo's expression when he found out that 'thief' and 'murderer' was alive.

Then why... why was he so happy?

 

When she got back at the house, she wasn’t surprised to see all of them already gathered by the couch.

All except Leo.

"Welcome back." N smiled, albeit stiffly. "Sit. We need to talk." He patted the seat between him and Hongbin.

"Onew hyung called." Ravi explained. There wasn't enough room on the couch so he and Hyuk had chairs from the dining room pulled out. "Leo hyung would be staying with him until..." His voice trailed off. “You know.”

No one wanted to face the truth. Except N, who knew all along. Jae Ren didn't have much of any anger left for him. She could only think of why Leo seemed like he wanted to go back to Seohae.

Jae Ren should’ve been happy for him. She should have smiled and said she would miss him instead of shoving past him. Even she had her limits.

And N... why didn’t he tell her? He knew- she was sure, about Seohae and Leo.

"Honestly, we thought she was dead, Jae." He said at once. "There was a time when Jaekyun herself dealt with her. She came back home unscathed so we thought she was already... gone." He calmly explained. "Do you know who Seohae is, Jae Ren?"

She nodded, sighing.  "She killed my parents. That's it. She's a murderer."

The room grew silent.

"It wasn't dragons. It wasn't Seomin or some animal from the forest, it was her. It was Seohae. The destruction on my parents campsite looked like a dragon rampaged and burnt them alive... but it was her. All her." She had already mourned for them. All that was left now was anger.

"She did." N whispered. He was reluctant, but this wasn't the time for hesitation. "Jaekyun found out too late. Seohae moved in the shadows so well, it was almost impossible to detect her. By that time, Ravi was already created but she was just too fast... We got to the area where your parents were but the damage had been done.

"It was a secret that Jaekyun ordered Leo and I to keep until necessary. Ken and Ravi were kept in the dark." He listened to her silence. This, he thought, is the hardest form of torture Jaekyun could've given us. "Seohae used to be Jaekyun's apprentice. She was adopted into the house when Jaekyun heard news of a Witch Hunt in a nearby village. News of a baby that could float in the air spread like wildfire. She saved her and raised her like her own... They had the same magic so Jaekyun taught her. But no matter how hard Seohae tried, she just couldn't be as strong as Jaekyun..."

 

"Why can't I hear the winds like she does? What am I doing wrong?!"

"Master is at peace with herself. That is part of the reason why she can hear them." N calmly answered, watching Seohae read countless books about wind magic. He couldn’t tell her that Jaekyun had possessed that talent since she had been born, she had clearly told him not to frustrate Seohae any more. "You're too angry- too violent."

"Shut up. We both know Jaekyun had killed before. I'll become just like her. Watch me."

 

"At the time, she was obsessed with Jaekyun. She loved the idea of being her favourite. And when Jaekyun finally told us the truth about you..." N remembered how devastated Jaekyun was. It was one of the few times he saw her weak and actually capable of emotions. "She wanted to kill you, Jae. But she knew if she layed a finger on you, Jaekyun would be alerted at once. So she killed your parents instead. Seohae didn't know she was years too late and that you were already born."

"So she did all that, to inherit Jaekyuns power?" Ravi asked, puzzled. "Jaekyun didn't seem that special... I think Onew hyung is stronger than her."

N shook his head. "You didn't see her in her prime. When I was made, she could turn a whole city upside down with one hand. But as she created each of us, her power slowly seeped into Jae Ren. Her magic was what kept you from awakening early, Jae." N explained. "She was starting to find out Seohae's plans and sealed you to keep her away. Along with other threats."

"All this time... I thought Seomin was evil." Hyuk muttered.

"What does this have to do with Leo hyung?" Hongbin asked.

"Before Seohae started her plans, she was like Jaekyuns daughter. For her 16th birthday, Leo was introduced to her as a gift from Jaekyun. During that time, the Sanctuary was still keeping tabs on Jaekyun since she's still treated as a criminal. So Leo was registered under Seohae. That's why..." He stared at Jae Ren, giving her a silent explanation.

"Why did you keep this from us? Shouldn't we have known too?" Ravi asked, not happy. For the past decades he had lived on Earth, he didn't think such a large secret was kept from him from his own brothers.

"Jaekyun didn't want anyone to know. Leo and I were under strict orders." N answered. He had kept many things from them- his own brothers. Being born first, he was Jaekyuns right hand. He knew almost all of her plans. And she always had a plan.

Except this time.

He was sure Jaekyun would've taken care of this. If she hadn't killed Seohae, then she would have transferred the ownership to herself so it would pass down to Jae Ren. Could she have forgotten? She couldn't have intended not to.

Jae Ren was stunned by the truth. Was this what she wanted to hear? That Leo did belong to someone else? Seohae was really a criminal. "Then... why did Leo look so happy when he found out she was alive? If Seohae was that bad..." He should've broken in the principal in half- and Jae Ren wouldn't have minded.

N fidgeted in his seat. "That's... Jae Ren, I need you to keep an open mind about this." He said with a serious expression.

"Okay..." She was sure she had heard everything by then.

"Leo... he loves Seohae."