The Catalyst

My Six Voodoo Dolls II

On the second week of classes, it should have been just a normal Thursday.

Onew stood behind the principal, making Jae Ren feel even more nervous. It was strange how she got called to the principal’s office in the middle of a class- more so with Leo sitting on the other chair next to hers. 

And, of course, it was just the beginning of the school year. If anyone were to get into trouble, she expected Ravi or Ken, not Leo.

"This must be a hindrance for you." The wizened man sitting on the other side of the desk said. His voice was gravelly and his skin was an odd scaly-green. "I apologize."

"This is about your papers, Leo." Onew began. "Because of the many other tasks at hand, the council only gets to review the files of new citizens at this time of year." He explained. "We found something... wrong."

Jae Ren tried to recall the documents she had settled with Onew. "Wrong?" She echoed, her eyebrows furrowing.

"Leo. Age 113. Legal name: Jung Taekwoon. Classification: Unknown or Guardian. Legal classification: Vampire." The Principal read from a folder. He stopped and handed the folder over to Jae Ren with his clumsy greenish hands. "Jae Ren-ssi. According to this, he's not your guardian."

"That... That can't be right... I was the one who filled these out." Her eyes scanned over the semi-rough, customized paper used for documents in Sanctuary. Sure enough, it wasn't her name written under 'Superior'. "This... This isn't... I wrote my name. I'm sure I did." She frantically murmured to herself.

"Jae Ren. This was from a file VIXX already had. The three older members, N, Leo and Ken, already had registered documents made by Jaekyun." Onew carefully explained. "The papers used in documentations here synchronize to each other. Leo's current information, the one you filled out, was merged to this one. But the error under the Superior was out-ruled by the older version."

"Why?" Leo stiffly asked.

He knows something. Jae Ren realized. Something, indeed, was wrong.

"The document was out-ruled because that former Witch-Superior is still alive. She's your Master." The principal stated.

Jae Ren slid the folder back on the desk. Her hands were starting to get clammy. "So... Leo isn't my guardian?"

"Leo. You are to be relocated to your original master-"

"Wait! This can't be right!" Jae Ren snapped. This was wrong, she knew. There was a mistake. "Jaekyun, their original creator, left me the papers for the passing! I wrote down the Pin and they're supposed to be registered under me!"

"Jae Ren, calm down." Onew softly said. Judging from his troubled expression, he wasn't happy about it either.

"Be that as it may," The principal continued. Something about his obsidian eyes made Jae Ren calm herself. "If Leo was never accounted for in the Passing Procedure, the Pin won't work on his files. He's registered as someone else’s guardian." He stared down at her. He didn't look like the type to be swayed by outbursts.

"... She's alive?"

Jae Ren took a glance at Leo. He looked calm. She didn't want to believe her eyes, but he looked relieved.

"Kim Seohae is alive. Onew is locating her right now for your relocation. Even though you're enrolled here, your first priority as a guardian is to be with your master." The old man stated. After having a glimpse of Jae Rens glazed expression, he excused them.

"Jae Ren, I'm sorry." Onew said once the door closed behind them. "I was about to call you as soon as I found out but the Principal was already informed..." His voice diminished, seeing as how she wanted to talk to 'her' guardian.

"How long were you planning to keep this from me?" Jae Ren asked. Her hands were down at her sides in fists.

She was furious.

"Or did you think I didn't need to know this?"

Leo looked down to avoid her glare. "It wasn't supposed to turn out like this..."

"Then how was it supposed to be? Tell me. How was all of this," She shoved the folder to his chest, "supposed to turn out?" She let go of the folder. "That time at the bench, back in the old house," She recalled, staring straight at him. "You called me 'master' so easily. You told me living came with prices. Maybe it was just too good to be true to have all of you in my life for free."

"Jae Ren...” He didn’t think anything would make her calm down. He was too surprised to think of anything else to do but try to talk to her.

She stepped away from him. "Get to class. Or do whatever you want- since I have no right to boss you around anymore."

"She's really mad..." Onew stated. "Will she be all right like that?"

Leo kept silent.

"Leo, I can help." The old warlock said. "But I feel as if you want to stay with Seohae. Or am I wrong? Judging from Jae Ren's reaction, she knows who Seohae is. Probably from N or one of Jaekyuns doings, I suppose." He thought out loud. "For now, go back home and pack your things. You can't stay with someone who's not your Superior. You can stay with me until the time being."

Leo quietly followed, living in his own world again. Right now, there was nothing he could say or do.

 

"Ken. Who's Seohae? Jaekyun mentions her in her journal several times but she never introduces her. I can't read any more because my eyes kind of hurt."

"Because you read it for four hours straight." Ravi stated, flipping through channels. "And why are you asking that guy? N hyung's around here somewhere."

"Shut up. I know Seohae, too." Ken threw the couch pillow at Ravi's face. "And N hyung is busy at the Library." He informed. "Anyway, Jae, Seohae is somewhat a taboo topic .”

"Why?" Jae Ren sat in between them.

"Well, I'm not so sure either. I only had less than a month of being alive before she left. Whenever I asked about her, the hyungs just shrugged and told me she won't come back. That's all I know. I think it'd be best you don't ask them about her yet. They might feel bad about it again- whatever happened."

 

"Jae you're going to break your chopsticks if you keep biting them so hard." Hyuk said, pulling her away from her thoughts.

"Where's Leo hyung?" Hongbin asked. "Is he skipping lunch?"

N shook his head. "That's not like him. Maybe he's caught up with something. Jae, why don't you message him?"

"Let him do what he wants."

With the slam of chopsticks on the table, she left without another word.

"Did something happen?" Ken asked, stunned. "She didn't even eat."

"Why do I have a bad feeling about this?" Ravi murmured to himself. He contemplated about chasing her but Hongbin said, "That would make it worse." He pointed out.

N nodded. "He's right. She's probably just in a bad mood." Though he couldn't shake the feeling that there was something much deeper than mood swings under her anger. He had a strong feeling that Leo's absence wasn't a coincidence either.

"You don't believe that, do you?" Ravi asked, raising an eyebrow. "Clearly, something's up with her mood."

"Shut up and eat. I expected you to be called to the Office. Just be glad they ignored you for breaking a window this morning.” N hissed.