The Unfortunate Disease

Nothing to Say

        I never truly believed that anything could ever save me from this pit of hell I was already in. 12 months, if lucky, 14 months was my life span. And at the moment I was given the choice to sulk and feel sorry for myself until I lay, tear lust on my death bed...or live my life without regret, and do the things I desired most to do.

        Sadly I didn't choose either way, which sent me in a pool of mental distress. I remember becoming crazy, so bad that I talked to myself at times, and even scared the people around me. My mother decided to take actions into her own hands and send me to a medical facility. One that would "cure" me of my mental problems, but not my "unfortunate disease". 

        I do dread the long car rides I took with my mother to these "facilities", how she would give long talks and explain to me how it will help me gain back hope. But I tuned her out most of the time, and instead shut the world out with my earphones. I would go to these mental talk sessions every weekend at a place miles away from my home. The doctor say "getting away from home is the best medicine for a fresh start". I don't believe any of the bull they tell me, but after all I have the "unfortunate disease".

        But it wasn't all so bad. The sessions were open to other people who were going through similar things, and sometimes they were relatable. Not only were the patients relating to my problems...but so were the teachers...and that's where I met him.

        His name was Byun Baekhyun. But we were instructed to call him Mr. Byun. Of course he was a few years older than me, but he was extremely handsome. Which is weird since I never really felt a connection to someone in my whole life. I always felt disgusted by the immature boys in my classes, and thought all of them were the same selfish, jerk type of guys. Almost like the ones you saw in movies. He gave me somehow a different feeling...he was warm, laughed a lot, and I knew out of any guy in the world, he knew I was more than just a girl cancer ridden. 

        "Good afternoon guys. It's nice to see all of you. Can you believe that it's already been a two months since we all first met?" he asked smiling. It caused me to smile as well.

"So let's start off todays discussion by telling each other what we did this week" he asked pointing to the girl sitting beside him. She had reddened hair, some off dyed type of color. I recall her name being Seokyun. I envied that she got to sit beside him every session. I would have asked to sit seats with her...but what would be my reason?

"This week..." she wheezed slightly, trying to keep her breathing at a certain pace. I remembered that she was diagnosed with a lung dificiantcy. One that she described as almost like having an asthma attack 24/7, which seemed entirely scary if you think about it.

"This week...I went...to a library and read" she announced. "...with my friends"

"Did you enjoy it?" Baekhyun asked, looking at her shy eyes. She nodded then continued to explain. "I...went to read...because it help me...enjoy without...speaking" she nodded once more. Sometimes i wondered why she'd join a group where teenagers talked about their feelings, when she could barely talk at all.

"On to the next" Baekhyun gestured. The next person beside Seokyun was a rugged looking man. He had his hair slicked slightly back, and his clothes said it all. Tight pants with a black leather jacket? He was the rebellious type. I'd say he should be put in a juvenile facility rather than a mental institution.

"This week I did a little research on my problems...and I found a "cure" to it" he bragged. Baekhyun thought for a moment than nodded.

"How did you handle it?" Baekhyun asked. The man with the leather jacket only laughed.

"I didn't handle it well. In fact I was a bit pissed off" he stated.

"Why would you say that?" a female from across the circle asked. She wore braids in her hair, I remembered on the first day she said it was because it reminded her of the women that saved her. She used to be a victim of the Korean trafficking industry. She was saved after serving 8 harsh months alone. "Isn't finding a cure a good thing?" she questioned.

"It wasn't about the "cure"...I was pissed because there was no cure. Only lies" he said crossing his arms. "I believed there was one, but there wasn't" he stated simply. I cringed. This boy felt the same feelings I felt. Wanting to find a cure, hoping for an outlet; but disappointed only to find out that there was no outlet in this maze. We were one of the many, who felt completely lost and utterly trapped.

Baekhyun placed his hand to his chin and nodded. "I see..."

"There isn't anything to see Mr. Byun. It only makes me more depressed...and more so I fear dying more than ever" he said frowning.

"Cheer up. I'm sure there will be more opportunities to get out there and enjoy your life" Baekhyun suggested. But the leather jacket boy rolled his eyes as the conversation passed to me.

"What I did this week?" I asked almost in a question form. "I focused on my exams next week. They're the most important since it will determine the college I attend" I said.

"Why worry about school?!" the leather jacket boy suddenly said. I frowned a bit, but was also shocked by his sudden burst.

"I mean, you're a cancer patient as well aren't you?!" he spat out. "I gave up on school long after I found out about my diagnoses. I don't care about school anymore. It won't help. It won't solve anything when you're going to be dead in a few months!" he screamed. Baekhyun stood up and settled him back into his seat.

"Chanyeol calm down" he said pushing the young man slowly to his chair. The leather jacket man huffed to himself as he calmed down.

That must have been his name. I thought. Chanyeol.....it fit his personality. The rocker rebellious type. One who looked like a K-POP star.

 

After that horrendous gathering I picked up my bag off the chairs we sat on and headed for the door. Before I could leave a hand grabbed my right shoulder. Slowly I turned hoping to see Baekhyun, but instead I saw Chanyeol. He looks flushed, embarrassed, and couldn't look at me.

"Hey?" I asked raising an eyebrow. This fool was cutting into my time.

"I'm sorry for what I said before" he said sighing. I shook my head.

"Dude, it's fine. Really" I replied simply and headed back towards the door.

"That's all?" he asked. It caught my attention once more as I faced him. "I said all those mean things...about you not having hope and that there is no curable solution...I even said that you should give up on your dream" he said puzzled. "Can't you at least get mad at me and walk away?!" I laughed to myself and turned back to meet his eyes.

        "I stopped believing a long time ago" was all I said before walking out from the room.

 

A/N: Hello. How was the first chapter? A little short I might say, but it's kind of a PILOT chapter. Let me know how you feel towards this story.