A Hopeful Future

Kris's Departure

The EXO members headed to Guangzhou for their upcoming performance for Chinese New Year.  They were very excited knowing that Kris would be there.  They landed safely, then walked through the airport with hundreds of excited fans and greeted everyone there politely.  Just then, the EXO members spotted some fans running toward the opposite end of the airport.

Lay wondered, “Hmm, that’s weird.  Why are they running away from us?”

Piercing screams and cheers erupted at the airport entrance and more fans of EXO started running toward the entrance.  The EXO members stood there in confusion and noticed some fans cheering “Kris!”  They understood immediately and jumped up and down like their fans to catch a glimpse of Kris.  The mob of fans started moving in EXO’s direction until the fans surrounding Kris mixed with the fans around EXO.  After politely squeezing through the crowd, Kris finally was able to see the EXO members face to face.

Kris laughed and said, “I came to pick you guys up from the airport.  Surprise!”

The EXO members cheered happily and greeted Kris warmly.

“Hello Kris!  Thank you for coming here.  I hope it wasn’t too much trouble…  It’s been a while!  How are you?” Suho asked.

Kris replied, “I’m great!  I just really wanted to see you guys!  Do you guys have some spare time?  I want to take everyone to my home today.”

Suho hesitated for a moment and looked back at their manager.  Their manager gave a nod of approval, and Suho turned around gleefully.

“Our manager says that it’s okay!  We can go!  Thank you for inviting us to your home, Kris.”

“No problem!  My mom has prepared lots of food for everyone.  You guys must be exhausted,” Kris said.

“We are fine Kris, but thank you for thinking of us!” D.O. shouted out.

Kris smiled and said, “Shall we go now?  Let’s go!”

They walked out of the airport together and reached the black vans ready to transport EXO and the sedan for Kris.  The members quickly boarded the vans and instructed the drivers to follow Kris’s car.  The cars carefully drove through the crowded streets.  After a 30 minute drive, they reached a more secluded area, with no other cars or people around.  Kris’s car stopped in front a small, but charming house.  Kris stepped out of his car and the EXO members followed.

“Wow, is this your house?  It’s beautiful!” Baekhyun told Kris as he marveled at the traditional Chinese styled home and the red and gold decorations put up for Chinese New Year.

“Thank you!  You guys hungry yet?  Let’s go in!” Kris said.

The EXO members filed in through the tiny door and entered the house which was filled with the appetizing smell of rice and meat.  Kris escorted a kind-looking woman to meet EXO; she had an apron on and constantly looked back on the kitchen to make sure nothing was burning.

“Everyone, I want you to meet my mother again.  I think some of you have already met her before,” Kris said nicely.

The EXO members bowed at once to Kris’s mother and assembled themselves into their regular line-up quickly.

Suho, with much effort, said in Chinese perfectly, “Hello, I am EXO’s leader Suho.  Nice to meet you again, Auntie!”

Kris applauded Suho’s impressive Chinese.  Each member used Chinese to greet Kris’s mom, who bowed shyly back at each member and responded kindly to everyone.  Although the first few minutes of greeting seemed awkward, soon Kris’s mother became very open to all the members and treated each member as her own son.  She had often heard their voices on the phone when Kris called from Korea and knew each member very well already.  After 10 minutes of talking to the EXO members, Kris’s mother suddenly realized she was cooking something and turned toward the kitchen quickly.

“Ah, excuse me for a moment.  I think I overcooked the dumplings!” she said hurriedly.

Kris’s mother ran toward the kitchen rapidly, and the EXO members started laughing softly.  They were reminded of their own mothers and felt very comfortable in the cozy home.

Kris said, “Come sit down.  Dinner’s almost ready!”

The EXO members sat down at the dinner table properly.

“Don’t be so polite, relax!  We are a family, right?” Kris smiled.

The EXO members loosened up slightly, but still retained their awkward positions.  Kris walked to the kitchen and grabbed four bowls of rice.  He set it on the table in front of the oldest members, and then grabbed another seven bowls for the others.  After he stared at his white steaming rice for 2 minutes, D.O. headed to the kitchen to help Kris’s mom with the food.  Xiumin followed D.O. and Kris’s mom assigned them to cutting up fruit for everyone.  D.O. and Xiumin cut the fruit precisely how Kris’s mom wanted it; she looked pleased and grateful for their help. 

D.O. came out of the kitchen with a giant clay pot in his hands.  He set it down carefully and opened the lid; the EXO members stood up to look at the aromatic soup Kris’s mom made for them.

“Wow, this looks delicious,” Tao whined hungrily.

Kris went into the kitchen and returned with baked fish and rice cakes.  Xiumin came out with tofu and a plate of dumplings.  The EXO members watched anxiously as the steaming food came out of the kitchen.  Kris started serving everyone quickly, and Kris’s mom helped with ladling the soup right when she exited the kitchen.

Lay said, “Auntie, you don’t need to serve us!  You’ve worked very hard to prepare all of this.  Please sit down and rest.  You too Kris!”

Kris’s mom said, “It is no trouble!  You are our guests.  And also, this is my way of saying thanks for always supporting Wu Yi Fan.”

Kris nodded and quickly hugged his mom.  The EXO members understood and watched Kris’s mom’s graceful pouring of soup and Kris’s generous serving of fish and tofu.  After everyone had been served, Kris motioned for the EXO members to start eating.  They obeyed him and began digging into the Chinese New Year food.

Luhan told Kris’s mom, “These dumplings are really yummy!  You didn’t overcook them at all!”

Kai said in Chinese fluently, “This tofu is very delicious!  You are a very good cook!”

Chen said in perfect Chinese, “This fish is very good!  Thank you for all the food!”

Kris’s mom smiled at all the positive comments from the EXO members and Kris watched everyone contently.  Kris thought it was a perfect dinner because he could happily celebrate Chinese New Year with his mom and the EXO members. 

After dinner, they ate the beautifully arranged fruit from D.O. and Xiumin.  Kris took out the red envelopes that he prepared for the members.  Kris passed them out to everyone, bowing to each member as he handed the envelopes to them.

They slowly took out the contents from each tiny envelope and found large amounts of money.

Sehun said worriedly, “Hyung, we can’t take this.  It’s too much money!  Here, take it back…”

Kris pushed the money back toward Sehun and said, “It’s really not that much!  It’s more of a friendly gesture.  I hope you all spend it on things that you guys like!”

The EXO members politely refused to take the money in the beginning, but Kris ultimately succeeded in making the members accept it.  They promised Kris that they would save the red envelope money and think of him if they used it. 

All of a sudden, the EXO members started teasing Kris and played pranks on him for no reason like old times.  Kris’s mom watched happily on the couch while the EXO members continued to bother Kris, who seemed happy instead of annoyed at all the teasing.  Chen made fun of every aspect of Kris he could think of, Baekhyun mocked every movement Kris made, Chanyeol laughed loudly at anything Kris did, Sehun and Tao kept poking and hugging Kris, and Suho occasionally reprimanded the members when they teased Kris too much, but joined the teasing later on.

In the midst of the laughter and fun, Chanyeol glanced at his watch.  11:45 P.M.

Chanyeol’s bright and happy smile faded quickly as he told the members: “Look everyone.  It’s almost midnight.  Should we head back?”

Suho looked at his watch and gave a shocked expression.  The members’ sounds of joy died down and they turned toward Suho.

Suho said sadly, “Yes, I think we should.  I hope you understand Kris… we have to do a New Year’s performance tomorrow and we have to get up early for rehearsal.  I wish we could stay longer with you, though.”

Kris exclaimed, “No worries!  I totally understand.  You guys are welcome to visit anytime you want to; my mom and I will prepare lots of yummy things to eat for everyone!  I wish everyone good luck tomorrow at the New Year’s performance.  I knew you guys were performing, and I already have tickets!”

“Really?  You really are coming?  Thank you so much!” Xiumin said excitedly.

“Of course,” Kris smiled.

Suho gathered everyone into a circle and shouted “We are one!” as a goodbye to Kris. 

They walked out slowly and Lay told Kris’s mom, “Thank you for taking care of us, Auntie.  We wish you much health and happiness!”

Suho said to Kris, “Saying goodbye has been getting much less painful nowadays.  We all know you will come see us again sometime soon.  See you tomorrow, Kris!”

Kris waved to all the members and said, “See you tomorrow everyone!  Good luck!”

The members and Kris kept waving at each other until the black vans had driven far away from Kris’s home, out of sight.

 

(At the performance)

Kris went backstage to drop off a gift basket for EXO.  He wanted to give an encouraging message before performing and looked for them in the waiting room.  Kris could not find them anywhere and was about to leave the waiting room until he saw the 11 members come through the door hurriedly.  They were getting a quick drink of water before going onstage.  The members met eyes with Kris and gave gigantic smiles.

“Hello Kris!  Thanks for coming!  We have to run to the stage right now.  Please enjoy our performance!  Hey guys, let’s go!” Baekhyun said quickly after chugging down half a water bottle.

“Okay!  Good luck everyone!” Kris shouted to EXO as they ran to the stage.

It was a short meeting, but Kris was satisfied.  Kris put on sunglasses and a cap to avoid any attention and then walked to his front row seat as fast as he could so he wouldn’t miss any of the performances.  A fan holding an EXO banner watched Kris sit down in front of her.  Kris pointed at her EXO banner and smiled at her.  Dazed, she bowed back quickly.  The fan kept watching Kris closely to confirm that it was Kris. 

Soon, EXO came up to perform.  Kris’s cheers were as loud as the fans’ cheers, and the EXO fan knew at once that it really was Kris.  EXO performed their new song perfectly, and Kris smiled through the entire performance.  They performed Growl next, and Kris sang along and danced.  The EXO fan laughed gently at Kris’s solo performance in his seat.  After much consideration, she gathered the courage to tap him on the back.  Kris turned around and gave a quick bow. 

She bowed back and asked him politely, “Do you miss them a lot, Kris?”

Kris replied, “Yes, I do.  But do not worry.  We have been meeting each other very often recently.  We are always one, right?”

The EXO fan agreed and said, “EXO is always 12 members to me.  Thanks for supporting them, Kris!  By the way, I really like your solo albums!”

“Thank you!  I will always support EXO.  I’m one of their fans, just like you!” Kris said.

The EXO fan nodded happily and hid behind her banner.  Kris and the fan continued watching EXO perform.  After EXO performed, they said goodbye to everyone in the audience with their catch phrase, “We are one!”  Kris clapped for the EXO members and said to himself, “We are one!  Good job, you guys.”  The EXO fan behind him felt content seeing Kris and EXO being just like family once again.

Kris met EXO many more times afterwards.  Whenever Kris came to Korea, EXO came to see Kris, bringing presents such as chicken and galaxy-themed gifts.  When EXO came to China, Kris would always take them to his mother’s house for a home cooked meal.  The EXO members and Kris never went more than 6 months without meeting and became closer than ever.  Kris and S.M. Entertainment were on good terms after a long 5 years.  S.M. even invited Kris to guest in one of EXO’s concerts.

After such a long time, Kris and EXO finally had all achieved their dream.  EXO and Kris stayed happy and healthy, which as a result allowed the fans to be truly happy.  After numerous obstacles and struggles, Kris and EXO found who their true friends and fans were.  Even after all the hardships, the strong friendship between Kris and the EXO members was never broken, and the 12 EXO members remained friends and brothers for life.