The Most Memorable Encore

Kris's Departure

Kris performed second in the concert.  His charismatic rapping and singing delighted the fans, especially the EXO fans that were with EXO since their debut.  After his performance, Kris went backstage to cheer on the EXO members. 

“You’ll do well, everyone!  Fighting!” Kris shouted encouragingly.

“Thank you.  You put on a nice performance by the way,” Tao said with a small, but friendly smile.

Kris smiled back at EXO; they gave a quick bow and went on stage.  EXO performed their newest song as well as their debut song Mama.  Kris never wanted to perform again so badly before; he wished to be with EXO once again on stage.  The audience cheered loudly for their performance.  EXO finished their stage in the first half of the concert.

Kris quickly went to congratulate them and shouted, “Good job!  You did well!” in their direction.  Multiple other artists yelled out the same words.  EXO replied to all the artists with endless bows of gratitude.  They returned to the waiting room and Kris followed them in.  Kris still wanted to talk to the members, but they seemed to ignore him or stayed occupied with some other activity.

At last, Kris bravely went up to the EXO members and said, “Hello again!”

They glanced in his direction and nodded.

Kris continued, “I was wondering… do you still remember the 12 member formation for Wolf and Growl?”

The EXO members shifted uncomfortably and looked at Lay and Kai.

After a few seconds, Lay replied calmly, “Maybe…  Why do you ask?”

Kris hesitated for a moment, but went on: “Well, maybe if the fans want an encore from EXO or me, we can perform together, like old times.”

Kai had a sad and distant look on his face, but D.O. poked him and shook him out of his trance.

“Well, I think we can do that.  Let’s practice now, okay?” Kai said timidly.

Kris agreed happily and they left as a group of 12 to a large practice area.  They awkwardly found their positions in the Tree of Life formation for Wolf.  The members were so used to performing as 11 that they had trouble remembering their original spots.

After everyone had somewhat found their positions, they laughed at their disheveled tree but turned serious once the music started playing.  The first run through Wolf was terrible; they kept bumping into each other and mixing up their spots.  The EXO members did not give up and kept cleaning and perfecting their dance.  As he diligently rehearsed the performance with EXO, Kris felt immense happiness for being able to perform with them again; he was also surprised that he could remember the dance and lyrics so easily.  After ten runs through the dance, EXO had perfected Wolf with 12 members.

Xiumin looked at the clock and said, “We still have 30 minutes left.  Do you want to practice Growl, Kris?”

Kris really wanted to perform Growl with EXO again, but he looked at the tired members and replied, “It’s okay.  You guys should take a break.  Thanks for including me in your group again.”

Kris reluctantly turned around to leave but was stopped by Sehun.

“Hey hyung!  We can still practice it, don’t worry.  Let’s get into formation, guys!”

As Kris went back to find his spot in Growl, his eyes filled with tears.  Hyung.  It had been years since someone had called him hyung.  Kris also noticed that the members were gradually starting to talk to him using a more friendly tone, unlike the distant politeness they used when they first reunited.  Kris quickly stopped crying and readied himself before the music started.  Just like in Wolf, the members had a difficult time adjusting themselves to the old 12 member dance, but they adapted quickly.  After about 6 runs, they were able to deliver the same clean performance as 12 members.  The EXO members practiced until they had to come back on stage to say farewell to the audience.

When they waved to the sparkly lights in the dark stadium from onstage, the fans yelled, “Encore!  EXO!  Kris!  EXO!  Kris!”

Kris looked over at the EXO members, and they started walking backstage to prepare quickly for the encore.  Baekhyun yelled out “EXO Fighting!” and everyone yelled back “Fighting!”

Chanyeol observed Kris for a moment and walked over to him.

Chanyeol said, “Hyung!  Your costume doesn’t match ours.”

Kris gaped at his white suit which sharply stood out against the black and gold theme in EXO’s clothes.  Chanyeol went over to his stylist and asked her for an extra set of his outfit.

“Here, hyung!  I think you can fit in my clothes.  You’ll match with us now.”

Chanyeol handed Kris his spare costume and Kris took it gratefully.  Kris went to change quickly.  Chanyeol rejoined the rest of the group already on the stage, ready to perform.

“Where’s Kris?  Is he alright?” D.O. asked worriedly.

Chen looked around and said, “Oh no.  I don’t see him!  Should we go look for him?  We cannot start without Kris!”

“Don’t worry everyone, he’s just changing.  He’ll be out in a minute,” Chanyeol assured.

Kris rushed out rapidly and took his spot in the Tree of Life.  The fans screamed loudly when Wolf started and the lights shined toward the stage.  Everyone hoped that Kris would perform with them too, but knew there was a small chance.  Even so, the audience started counting the number of members on stage.  As they realized there were 12 instead of 11, the fans cheered louder and happier than ever.  When Kris’s part came up, the entire stadium erupted into joyful screams.  Some audience members were crying and others were smiling; fancams were scattered everywhere in the audience to document the rare stage.  Growl was just as successful as Wolf and induced more happiness in the fans.  At the end of their encore performance, EXO stood in their usual line-up.

Kris was unsure where to go until Chanyeol yelled out, “Over here Kris hyung!”

Kris made his way over to Chanyeol’s right.  It was just like before.  Finally after 5 years, Kris was able to stand with EXO once again in his usual spot.

Suho asked him, “Do you want to count off the ‘We are one’?”

Kris nodded happily and then yelled, “1, 2, 3.  We are one!  Hello we are EXO!”

Kris smiled brightly.

“Hello!  I am Galaxy Kris!”

The fans cheered wildly.  It was a dream come true for the fans to see EXO as 12 members again.  After thanking the fans for their support, they prepared to say goodbye to the fans with a final bow.  They clasped each other’s hands in a line, raised their hands in the air, and bowed for 15 seconds.  When they finally stood up straight, tears were streaming down their faces.  Kris looked at the fans and the EXO members contently.  His desire to be on the same stage with EXO performing their songs was fulfilled.  It was the most magnificent performance Kris had ever given, one he and EXO would never forget.

When Kris left EXO, the EXO members were extremely saddened but still wished him health and happiness.  Though Kris was not there with them, he stayed in the EXO members’ memories; he still was always considered a member of EXO by the other 11 members.  After a long 5 years, Kris finally returned to Korea and even performed with EXO once again.  To EXO, Kris’s departure and leave was nothing more than just a temporary absence.  Nothing more.