5 Years Later

Kris's Departure

Kris became a healthy, happy, and accomplished entertainer in China.  Because of his popularity in Korea, Kris attended a music festival in which EXO was also invited.  As he flew to Korea, several thoughts ran through his mind.

“How will the EXO members react when they see me?  Have they forgotten about me?  It’s been so long since I was in Korea…”

As soon as Kris got off the plane, he left for the stadium.  Even though Kris knew the EXO members probably forgave him for any misunderstandings, he could not help but feel uncomfortable and nervous.  He entered the stadium’s waiting room early and saw many familiar groups and artists.  They all smiled at him as if he was a longtime friend, and he greeted everyone warmly.  Kris looked around the area but could not find the EXO members. 

“They must be coming later,” he thought.

Kris decided to go outside and visit places he missed dearly.  He went to the S.M. building, where he fondly remembered his days as a trainee with the EXO members.  He looked at the familiar surroundings which did not change at all over the course of 5 years.  Kris was almost brought to tears at the memories of being an EXO member that suddenly came to him.  He continued to walk around, noting all the nearby shops and restaurants that remained as how he remembered them. 

After two hours, Kris headed back to the stadium.  The other artists there asked him how he was doing in China and chatted with him.  Kris noticed his Korean was not as fluent as before, but after a few minutes of conversation, he restored his former flow of words.  Kris continuously checked for the EXO members. 

“There’s only two more hours until the concert.  Where are they?” Kris muttered nervously.

A few minutes later, some loud voices burst through the door.  Kris recognized the voices at once.  Kris rushed to meet the EXO members, but there was already a large crowd in front of them.  After most of the crowd had dispersed, he was able to face them.

“Hello, how are you guys doing?” Kris opened shyly.

The EXO members glanced at each other quickly, and then turned back to Kris.  Kris waited for their response anxiously.

Suho said formally, “We’re fine.  And you?”

“I’m fine.  Thank you.  EXO is doing very well these days,” Kris replied nicely.

In a cold, but polite tone, Luhan stated, “I’m glad to hear that.  You have become extremely popular as a solo artist here.  I hope you will continue to be successful.  Please excuse us; we need to prepare for the concert.”

With a quick gesture of the hand, Suho signaled for the members to leave.  They quietly left Kris alone, who stood motionless and speechless.  Kris was baffled by their cold and formal greetings and quick leave.  He still wanted to talk to EXO; it had been 5 whole years since he met them or even talked to them!

Kris watched the EXO members as they cheerfully did their hair and makeup and prepared for the concert.

“They haven’t changed at all.  Everyone’s seems the same as before!” Kris thought happily.

The EXO members continued to ignore Kris, but gave polite nods of the head whenever facing him.  Soon, the concert started, and Kris could not wait to perform in the same concert as EXO.