Kris's Gifts

Kris's Departure

After the concert, the EXO members came together once again as 12 members and took endless pictures as a reunited group.  Tao took endless selfies with Kris, Sehun kept standing by Kris’s side and did not leave, and Chanyeol kept playing with Kris’s stuff and looked through all his belongings.  Chanyeol quickly found a large bag filled with different items from China.

Chanyeol asked, “Hey hyung!  What is this?”

Kris smiled warmly, “These were the presents I was going to give you guys!  Here, I’ll pass them out right now.”

The EXO members cheered happily and then looked at each other awkwardly when they realized they had nothing to give Kris.

Kris took out from the bag a small trinket in the shape of a snowflake.

“Xiumin hyung, I’ve had this for a long time.  Every time I saw this trinket, it reminded me of you and your frost power!  I’m going to give this to you now, okay?” Kris said nicely.

Xiumin took it from Kris gratefully and shouted out, “Thank you Kris!”

He looked around frantically for something to give back and found a small scrapbook in his bag.

As he handed it to Kris, he said, “These are some pictures I compiled of all 12 of us that I kept wherever I went.  Whenever I looked at it, I remembered you and the happy moments we all shared together.  I think you should have it now.”

Kris took the scrapbook and then admired the neatly arranged pictures of EXO as 12 members.  The pictures ranged from their debut era to the Overdose era; Kris remembered where and when each picture was taken.  He received Xiumin’s gift gratefully and then took out another gift.

“Tao, I know you like fancy things, so…  I bought you this watch!  I remember you liked this type of accessory.”

Tao looked at the simple, but elegant watch, with silver accents against fine black leather.  He had never liked any accessory as much as this watch before.

Tao went over to Kris, hugged him, and said, “Thank you very much Kris hyung!  I don’t exactly have anything to give you now…”

Kris laughed and said, “That’s okay!”

Kris then gave Luhan a deer trinket: “Here Luhan, this reminded me of you a lot!”

He gave Suho a fancy wallet and exclaimed, “Make sure you use it well!”

Kris handed to Lay a small unicorn plush and said, “This unicorn has helped me through some tough times.  I hope you like it!”

“Baekhyun, this is a dog plush!  I remembered your playfulness and occasional whimpering or funny loudness when I saw this dog.”

“Here Chen, this is some Chinese medicine for your throat.  You have to promise me to take this every day to protect your throat so you can sing well!”

“This is a hat for you Chanyeol!  Do you like it?  I tried to pick one out that seemed like your style.”

“Hey D.O.!  I have a new cooking book for you.  You can learn to make new Chinese dishes!  But I have a feeling you already know how to cook all this…”

“Here are some really helpful medicinal patches that you can put on when your waist or anywhere else is sore, Kai.  Here’s some for you too, Lay!  And Kai, these new dance shoes are for you!”

Lastly Kris came to Sehun.  Kris reached into the bag which seemed to provide endless gifts for one final present.

“This is for you, Sehun.  It’s a bubble tea keychain and a locket.”

Sehun opened the vintage style locket and saw “Yehet ~Kris” written on the left with a picture of him and Kris on the right.

“Do you like it?  The bubble tea keychain seemed to match you perfectly.  And now you can’t ever forget me with that locket!” Kris said excitedly.

Sehun smiled brightly and told Kris, “Of course I like your gift!  Kris… we will never forget you, ever…”

Kris nodded happily and said, “That’s good!”

Suddenly, EXO’s manager came over and notified them that they needed to leave.  They looked back sadly at Kris.  None of them wanted to leave; it was their first reunion in so long and they still had so many questions to ask Kris!  Kris had a serious and melancholy expression on his face, but quickly cheered up for the EXO members.

“Don’t worry, you guys!  We’ll see each other again soon.  I promise.”

The EXO members looked at Kris sadly; Kris smiled forcefully and attempted to hold back the tears.  The members watched him for a moment and quietly crowded around him.  They huddled together in a circle, like they always did.  The EXO members spent their last few minutes with Kris in silence.  Flashbacks of Kris’s departure hit all the members; they remembered how distant and cold they were when they sent Kris off 5 years ago.  They were determined not to let that happen again.  One by one, the members went up to Kris and gave him a final hug and goodbye.

“Do you think I can keep in touch with you guys?” Kris said softly.

Suho replied sadly, “Probably not…  We aren’t supposed to contact you.  We’re sorry.”

Kris nodded, “I understand.  Well, don’t worry!  The next time you guys are in China, I’ll be sure to go see you guys perform, okay?”

They agreed happily and prepared to leave.  After they gathered all their belongings, they took one last look at their former leader and brother and waved goodbye.  The EXO members walked out the building quietly into the cold night air.  Before the door closed, they turned around quickly to wave at Kris.  Kris waved back happily until the door slammed shut and he could no longer see the members.

Kris sat gloomily by himself on the couch.  There were still many artists there and the room had a cheery atmosphere, but Kris only felt emptiness.  It was too short of a reunion.

The EXO members headed back to their dorms.  Everyone felt empty too as they looked at their gifts from Kris and the countless pictures with him at the concert.

“Cheer up, you guys,” Chanyeol whispered.  “We will definitely see him again, okay?”

The EXO members agreed, but continued to admire their gifts and pictures sadly.