Hyunseung's story

Red Hot Lips and Skinny Jeans

Hyunseung

Hyunseung had had a younger brother. Had. His younger brother passed away in Spring that year when he got admitted into Seoul University. That was the reason why he only went into his new class four days after the actual day. 

He told nobody of the grief he felt, and held his tears back when they threatened to fall from his eyes. He felt that it was wrong  to cry. And when he did, he was guilty. 

His brother, Hyun Joon, was only 6 years old that year. Their was more than 10 years apart, but Hyunseung regarded his little brother as the closest kin he'd ever had. He was gentle to his brother and loved him dearly, and his brother returned his love equally as well. No matter how ridiculous Hyun Joon's request was, he would gladly agree to it. 

Hyun Joon asked his brother, "Hyung, is it true that if I die, I would turn into an angel?" The family had, by then, found out that Hyun Joon was suffering from leukemia. Hyunseung's heart ached, and he held on to his brother's hands tightly. He couldn't help but notice how frail and skinny his brother had become. 

"Joonie-ah. You're not going to die, you'll get well soon and we'll play your favourite console games everyday and drink soda together once you're well, you understand?" Hyunseung croacked, resisting the tears which had gathered around the rim of his eyes. 

"Yes Hyung... I love you very much." Hyun Joon whispered.

With that, he left. 

Hyunseung did not allow himself to cry. He let go of his brother's hands, looked at him for the last time, and walked to the nearest hair salon to dye his hair, orange.

The hair colour was in memory of his dead brother. Hyun Joon had loved this paticular cartoon character with orange hair and had requested for an orange wig when his hair was slowly thinning due to the chemotherapy treatments which he had to undergo. 

*

That day after his first day at school, Hyunseung stood underneath a huge tree and looked up at the sky. He thought he saw his brother smiling at him as an angel. An angel with orange hair, like his. Oblivious to Hyunseung, Shinye was standing behind him, looking at him with a confused expression on her face.