Shinye's story

Red Hot Lips and Skinny Jeans

Shinye

Initially, she was an introvert and dared not  speak up infront of strangers. People would ask her questions, and she'd only answer by nodding or shaking her head. Her parents tried to help her open up, but she'd lock herself up in the room and read. She would read all day long, and the only times when her parents would see her would be during meal times. 

She'd attained remarkable results for her finals and many universities wanted her to join them. She chose the nearest school - Seoul University, majoring in Science and Technology. 

On the first day of school, she appeared in a floral dress and a cardigan, with her geeky glasses perched on top of her nose. She chose a seat at the back of the class and waited, possibly for a student to take the seat next to her. Students passed by and chose every other seat but the one next to her. Shinye had had this hope of finding a true friend whom she could trust, but no one was offering this chance to her. 

For days, she sat next to still air. She watched as every other classmate of hers talked to their partners next to them. She became more shy and more introverted than she already was. 

However, during the fourth day of school, a lanky boy with orange hair came into class. He wore a T-shirt over a long-sleeved shirt with low-cut jeans. He was assigned to take the seat next to Shinye, for that was the only seat left in class. He casually walked over to his seat, and smiled a little at his partner.

"H-Hi. I'm Hyunseung. You are?" That boy with the orange hair introduced himself and offered his right hand for a handshake.

"Shinye." She mumbled, offering her hand in return. 

That was it. Their conversation ended right there. 

*

The Present

"Seung! Look at that, our tree." Shinye stopped in the middle of the road and pointed. 

Both Hyunseung and Shinye were on her bike, and they were on the way to an elementary school. Every month, they would visit the kindergarten thrice to give tuition to those kids there. 

Hyunseung lifted his helmet and looked at the tree. Nostalgia hit them, and several flashbacks appeared in their minds.

"Best friends for as long as we live." Hyunseung murmured, reminiscing about the time when they vowed to be there for each other regardless of what the situation was. 

*

Flashback

Shinye was walking home from school when she saw the backview of a familiar person standing under a tree, looking up at what seemed like the sky. 

Orange hair... She thought. Hyunseung? What's he doing there?