Love Box

Love Box

Mi-Kum takes a second to think about what she will really tell Eun-Ae and Seung-Hyun. She cared about them very much, but both had already gone through so much and she didn't want them to get their hearts torn again because of her. How could she ever tell him that she has been so close to having a ? She couldn't do it, but she also couldn't let it happen in front of them ever again.

 

“I told you guys I'm fine. The doctor gave me some medication to take twice every day. I have just been getting lots of headaches which had caused all the fainting. You guys are forgetting my age!” smiles Mi-Kum. “Don't be too worried alright?”

 

As much as Seung-Hyun and Eun-Ae wanted to believe Mi-Kum even though her explanation sounded reasonable, it just was impossible to let it go. Mi-Kum was keeping something from them and they felt scared to try to figure out what it was. It only meant that it was all the more serious and they didn't know if they could take loosing someone else very dear to them again. A lot had happened the last couple days so they give the subject a rest, but it was always in the back of their minds.

 

It was pitch black outside and Mi-Kum layed in bed awake. She had let Eun-Ae and Seung-Hyun stay for the night for her rules didn't matter anymore. It wasn't going to be long before she could have a or faint again and maybe this time she wouldn't be so lucky. She was getting old, very old. She was in her sixties already and that's when the body begins to break down little by little. What most hurt her was the thought of leaving Eun-Ae. She was the only runaway who didn't leave her side. Like Eun-Ae, she also became very lonely at times but that's when Eun-Ae always suddenly appeared to cheer her up. She tried hard not to get attached to any of the runaways. She was only a guide, but Eun-Ae was different. Since the night she found her crying and wondering the streets alone, Eun-Ae snuck deep into her heart and made a home there.

 

At the same time, she was very happy to have meet Seung-Hyun. He was good boy and had a charming personality. She was thankful Eun-Ae had him as a friend for when she could no longer be here; Seung-Hyun would surly take care of Eun-Ae. She had to do something to keep them together. It was very obvious that there were some chemistry between them and all they needed was that boost up and Mi-Kum knew exactly what they needed.

 

Morning

 

Mi-Kum stayed home to rest that day instead of going to work at her thrift shop. It didn't stop her from organizing though. She sorted through some of her things, cleaning as she went but she was looking for something in particular. She was searching for a small wooden music box. This music box was very dear to her. Her husband had made it for her. He played the piano and had made a special melody just for them. That melody was like no other melody. It brought back so many amazing memories they had together and only they knew that music box existed. Now it was time to pass on the music box to some young love.

 

Mi-Kum spent the whole morning looking for the music box while Seung-Hyun and Eun-Ae sat in the kitchen making lunch together. Their smiles and laughs couldn't be confused for anything else other than sweet, innocent, young love but they were the only blind ones who didn't see it yet. If they continued to spend their time with one another they would eventually discover their feelings for each other but Mi-Kum had to make sure that when that did happened, their feelings for each other would last forever with the melody of her Love Box.

 

It wasn't till after lunch that she finally found what she was looking for. The box was wrapped carefully inside a cardboard box and it looked exactly like it did when her husband had given it to her over thirty years ago. The box was a darker type of wood, coated with a shiny transparent gloss to make it last longer. It had some black ribbon that was attached all around the border of the box. The lock was placed perfectly on the center of the side of the box and it almost looked like it was shaped like a heart. It was perfect. But the best part was what was hidden inside and it could only be open by the key what was wrapped around Mi-Kum's neck. She wore it ever since her husband died, so she would never lose it. But it didn't really matter since it was too painful for her to open the box. The melody brought many tears to her eyes so she decided to put it away only until the box was going to bring joy to another. Today was that day and now that she had it in her hands, she could give it to the ones who needed it.

 

Later

 

Seung-Hyun and Eun-Ae weren't back yet and it was already dark out. Mi-Kum began to worry, thinking something could have happened to them. She sat in the living room with the music box in her lab, anxious for them to arrive.

 

~

 

Eun-Ae walked alone side of Seung-Hyun heading home from the park. They had left earlier in the day to talk about Mi-Kum and what was best for her. Even after trying hard to believe Mi-Kum and believe that her health was okay, their minds couldn't believe it. They sat in the park till dark trying to figure out what they could do so Mi-Kum's health could get taken care of without them in the way but it was impossible for them to stay with her. If they wanted the best for her, they needed to be out of the picture. Mi-Kum was reaching a difficult age and they knew her health needed lots of attention which meant daily check-ups and maybe even a home nurse. That would be impossible if they were to stay there with her so their only other choice was to leave Mi-Kum. Seung-Hyun neither Eun-Ae knew how they were going to tell her but it had to be soon before it was too late.

 

~

 

The door to the living room opens as Mi-Kum looks up from her book. The box still sat on her lap but she quickly hid it behind her back forgetting it was supposed to be a surprise.

 

“Hello Mi-Kum, are you doing better?” asks Eun-Ae.

“Where did you too go? You had me worried sick! Did neither of you learn from the dangers of roaming out in the city especially in the dark?” scowls Mi-Kum.

“We are sorry, we had something important to talk about,” replies Seung-Hyun nervously.

“Like what?” asks Mi-Kum. She hoped it was about their relationship but little did she know that what they were about to tell her would break her heart.

 

Eun-Ae motions to sit on the couch. She sits next to Mi-Kum and trying to look her in the eyes but can't. Seung-Hyun sits on the couch across from them, clamping his hands together. The room felt like it was frozen in time, not knowing when it was or how long it had been since they had stopped talking. Finally after a while longer, Eun-Ae spoke up.

 

“Grandma, we love you very much but we are worried about your health.”

“My dear, I told you I was fine...” barges Mi-Kum.

“And we thought it was best for you and your health if we left,” finishes Eun-Ae.

 

Mi-Kum takes a second to pull words that came out of Eun-Ae 's mouth together. Were they really going to leave her? Were they going to abandon her like all the other children did? But who was she to hold them back, even if she would be lonely. They would be together no? That's what she wanted wasn't it? She was being selfish towards them, towards their young love but she shouldn't be like this. She had to remember that her love story would never be forgotten in her heart and in the Love Box she would pass on to them.

 

“Mi-Kum,” Seung-Hyun begins to say, “the reason we want to leave is not because we are tired of being here, but because your health will only get worse if you don't get the attention you need. We are only on the way and we tried to think of another possible solution to stay with you but you well know there isn't.”

“You don't know how much we will miss you and we feel terrible for leaving you here alone, but I would rather have you alive and come and visit you when a chance comes up,” Eun-Ae beings to shed tears and a knot forms in provoking her form finishing her sentence.

“We hope you understand that we are only doing this for you because we care. I care! You saved me and now it's my turn to save you even though it will be more painful,” says Seung-Hyun.

 

Mi-Kum reminds silent. She knew they were right and her health needed attention but it would be even more painful to let them go. Her mind was set. She couldn't let them see her health get worse so she had to accept their decisions.

 

“Okay. I understand and if that's what you wish I will go along with it. I will go to the doctor and get the help I need weather it's there or at home.” smiles Mi-Kum keeping her emotions in.

 

Eun-Ae throws herself at her now balling soaking Mi-Kum. She couldn't keep her sadness any longer inside for it was too much. Seung-Hyun throws himself on top of them as well making Mi-Kum know as well he was full of sadness too. Mi-Kum finally let it out and they all share that moment of tears and love ignoring everything else.

 

After they were all settled down, Mi-Kum make herself stay positive since she had a surprise for them and didn't want to spoil it any longer. She told them to wipe their tears and smile because it helped her smile.

 

“I did a lot for the both you two, but you helped me as well even though you don't see it. My job is to help children like you, the runaways because I know the feeling they carry of being lonely and to think you have nothing to live for but we all have something to live for. For me it was my husband. I am living for him and helping others but my time here is passing by very fast and I want to pass on the love I have for him. I want to share with you too something very dear to me that kept my heart pumping and kept me breathing. It's something that I want you to keep save for me when I'm gone but once you guys open it, it will be ours.” explains Mi-Kum.

“What is it?” asks Eun-Ae anxious to know.

“It is something only for both of your eyes. Only your ears can listen and only our hearts can feel what brings this gift. But in order for this gift to work, it needs true love,” finishes Mi-Kum.

 

Instantly Seung-Hyun's and Eun-Ae's faces turn red and the room suddenly gets stuffy. Seung-Hyun motions away from Eun-Ae and avoids looking at Mi-Kum. Eun-Ae looks only at the brown fuzzy carpet knowing where this was going.

 

Mi-Kum smiles and slowly pulls out the music box from the back of her and sets it once again on her lap. Seung-Hyun and Eun-Ae look up with beaming red faces wondering what was so special about the wooden box. Then Mi-Kum undo's her necklace revealing a small sliver key and hands it to Eun-Ae.

 

“The key is yours my dear,” smiles Mi-Kum now turning to Seung-Hyun. “And the music box is yours Seung-Hyun. Please take good care of them since my husband made the music box and this is the only key to open that box. There is no other way to open the box, not even if you try opening it by force, the box will not work properly.”

“But why are you giving this box to us, I don't understand Grandma,” says Eun-Ae.

“You will know when you open the box with your true love, that's why the box is called Love Box,” sings Mi-Kum.

 

If Mi-Kum gave the key to Eun-Ae and the box to Seung-Hyun, the only explanation was that she thought they were in love. They both blushed at the thought of is because they both knew it was true. Eun-Ae hated Seung-Hyun at first but the more she spent with him, the more she began to like him. It went the same for Seung-Hyun, and he fell in love with her. He had learned that girls weren't all that bad as well. The only problem was confession to one another. They were both afraid the other wouldn't feel the same but now it was time to confess. They would open the Love Box together and find out if they were really meant to be.

 

“Open it at the correct time, when you both are ready to confess to one another but don't rush it. Open it somewhere special where you can come back to one day and remember all the good memories you had together. Make it as special as this music box is to me,” says Mi-Kum tearing up again but happily smiling.

 

One year later

 

Seung-Hyun and Eun-Ae sat under a cherry bloom tree holding hands resting their heads against one another’s. Mi-Kum had passed away several months ago because of a and it was still hard on them. All they wanted to do is sleep the pain away but before Mi-Kum left them, she told them never to let their chins down. To keep on living for one another and their future would be bright. The police had gotten stronger on hunting down runaways so they had to be even more careful and blend into the crowd. Seung-Hyun had turned seventeen and Eun-Ae had turned sixteen, it was only a matter of two years and they were completely free. That is if they didn't get caught.

 

They had spent a year together searching for opportunities to leave this smaller city to a bigger city but it would be all the harder to survive without get caught. It seemed like they never got the perfect opportunities, not even to open Mi-Kum's special gift. That was a bit different though. They wanted it to be the perfect time but maybe they were expecting too much? They both thought about it but never mentioned it.

 

“What are you thinking about Seung-Hyun?” asks Eun-Ae.

“Just about our past, and Mi-Kum,” replies Seung-Hyun. “How about you?”

“Same. But, I keep thinking about something in particular that we having talked about in a while,” says Eun-Ae.

“And what is that?” asks Seung-Hyun.

“The Love Box that Mi-Kum gave us...” Eun-Ae plays with the key that hug around her neck. “I know she told us to wait for the perfect time but I think we have waited long enough don't you think?”

“Yes, I agree. That has also been on my mind. I want to know what's so special about it. Since tomorrow is our first year together, would you like to open it then?”

“Yes! I would love that!” yells Eun-Ae in excitement.

“It is settled then! Tomorrow will be the special day!” cheers Seung-Hyun giving Eun-Ae a kiss on the forehead.

 

Tomorrow would be a special day indeed for both Seung-Hyun and Eun-Ae but what they didn't know was it would also be a life changing. There love grew tremendously over the year since they met and they got even closer when Mi-Kum passed away, but this special day would only make their love for each over stronger. They would truly feel what true love was and have it flash before their eyes but the Love Box would make sure their love lasted forever.

 

The next evening

 

There were only a couple more hours of sunlight left and the weather was perfect outside. Perfect, for their special day. Seung-Hyun and Eun-Ae had walked all over the city enjoying their time together talking about what their future might bring them and about what they thought the Love Box held inside. Now it was time to settle down and set up a nice picnic in their favor park under the same cherry blossom tree they always sat under next to the tiny pond.

 

They both brought small bags with them carrying some of their things and of course Seung-Hyun brought the music box all safely wrapped up. They sat in the park eating and laughing, not carrying about anything or anyone else. It was supposed to be a special day and their minds were on them. After a while of talking, the sun began to settle shooting off pink and purple colors into the sky. A perfect way to end the day.

 

“I think it's time,” smiles Seung-Hyun with excitement.

“I think it is too!” giggles Eun-Ae.

 

Seung-Hyun reaches for his bag and pulls out a small blanket. He un-wrapped the blanket revealing the small wooden box still looking like the first day Mi-Kum had given it to them. Eun-Ae takes the necklace with the key off her neck and holds it tightly in her hand.

 

“Before we open it I want to tell you something,” says Seung-Hyun nervously.

“Me too,” smiles Eun-Ae nervously.

“I'll go first.” Seung-Hyun adjusts himself to face Eun-Ae and takes her hand. “I am thankful to have met you today. It has been a wonderful year by your side and I hope I can stay here with you forever. I hope this Love Box saves our memories like Mi-Kum said and I hope we cherish them forever.” Seung-Hyun gives Eun-Ae a peck on the head and lets her speak.

“I am very glad I meet you too Seung-Hyun. I don't know where I would be now without you. You have helped me through so much too and I am so lucky to have you by my side. I as well hope the gift will make our love last forever.” Eun-Ae throws herself at Seung-Hyun and they take in the moment sharing their body warmth.

 

They slowly pull away and Eun-Ae motions the key towards the box. Once the key is in the key hole she looks up at Seung-Hyun and smiles. He nods for his approval to turn the key and she does.

 

The box clicked open and they both slowly open it. A soft melody began to play. It was like no other melody though; it was heart filling, heartwarming and almost heart breaking. It played over and over again, neither of them wanting to stop it. It was their melody now and this moment would be saving with the Love Box forever. Mi-Kum was right, this was a special box and only the ones who heard it, would understand.

 

Not caring about anyone or anything else, the police were doing an ID inspection in all public places since they knew that runaways tended to hang around till dark. As the music box played and played, the closer and closer the police officers got and before they could turn around to see who was approaching, two officers stood over them.

 

“Please show us your ID's,” says one of the officers.

 

Suddenly, it felt like the life was ripped out of both of them. It was over. They were caught and there was no escape. Seung-Hyun and Eun-Ae hadn’t realized how un-carful they were and now it was too late to notice their mistake. Before the officer could say another word, Seung-Hyun looked at Eun-Ae and Eun-Ae looked at Seung-Hyun, holding each other’s hands tightly before their freedom was taken away from them. They would be separated and possibly never see each other again. Seung-Hyun thought hard, they could just let themselves get taken away right there and then or they could run. Run for their love. And without taking another second to breathe, he shouts at the top of his lungs.

 

“Run!”

 

Seung-Hyun grabs his bag and the box with one hand and Eun-Ae's hand with the other. Eun-Ae jumps up following Seung-Hyun’s pull and grips the key with her free hand tightly. The officers transmit something on their radio and try catching up to them. By now Seung-Hyun and Eun-Ae know Seoul well and know short cuts on every street. They cut and push through the crowds of people jumping over and under things, turning and skidding every corner of every street but it was useless because there was a police cars appearing in every block. Seung-Hyun was out of breath but he couldn't slow down, he had to escape with Eun-Ae.

 

Suddenly something pulled them back, both of them falling to the ground. Seung-Hyun got up instantly and turned to see what pulled them back and saw an officer that had caught up to them and had Eun-Ae by the arm. Without thinking, Seung-Hyun lunges himself at the officer setting free Eun-Ae.

 

“RUN EUN-AE!” yells Seung-Hyun.

“But I can't leave you here!” she cries back.

“I SAID RUN!”

 

She begins to run. She runs faster and faster, wanting to look back but she couldn’t allow herself to do it. Tears begin to fill her eyes and her surroundings become blurry. The special day and the perfect moment had all slipped away in a matter of seconds and there was nothing she could do about it now. She loosens her hand and puts the necklace with the key around her neck again and before she could look back up, her face had met with the ground. She had tripped and was in the middle of the road unable to get up. She turned her head trying to figure out why she couldn't get back up and then realizes a bigger problem. There was a car coming straight at her. It was speeding up instead of slowing down and she instantly opened , trying to yell for help but nothing came out.In the background she heard a familiar voice shouting her name but she couldn't figure out who it was and as it got closer and closer, the car did as well.

 

“EUN-AE GET UP! EUN-AE PLEASE GET UP!” screamed Seung-Hyun it tears.

 

She didn't respond and he didn't know what else to do. He wasn't close enough and the car was coming to fast. It was over either way wasn’t it he thought? So why not die with his love? Without hesitation, Seung-Hyun throws his body onto the street next to Eun-Ae covering her head in his arms and in the next second the front of the car hits their bodies and darkness comes upon them.

 

He did it for her. If he couldn't save her, he couldn't let her die alone, but that was all in his mind. Seung-Hyun and Eun-Ae rested in the same hospital room. The room echoed with the sound of the machines. Both were in a deep sleep, dreaming of nothing other than the darkness that hit them, but they were still alive. Breathing, and together. A bag rested next to Seung-Hyun's bed and a necklace sat next to Eun-Ae's bed on a small table.

 

Two couples walk into the room, observing the teens asleep. They nod and sign a paper. Then the man dressed in a gray suit puts the papers into his suit case and bows to both couples.

 

“I will let you know the dates of the adoption. Thank you very much.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

End