Ugly girl

Love Box

She brings her hand up to the scar on the left side of her forehead. She would always try to cover the scar with something to keep her mind from bring back the memories. Whether it was an ugly headband, her hair or mud, it had to be covered. It was always covered.

 

Why now? Why had these memories come back after so long? She had tried so hard to forget almost forgetting she had a brother and now she can remember everything so clearly. Eun-Ae closes her eyes letting out more tears and gasps for the strength she once had.

 

It was hard to take it all in. The memories of her brother’s death were to strong and it took a long time to finally erase them but now it was useless to think she could do in in a matter of seconds. Her body couldn't handle this pain all over again and the worst part was that it was like it was happening all over again but with that boy. With Seung-Hyun. When she had first approached him lying on the ground covered in blood, it was almost like it was her brother instead of him. But she made her mind erase the thought before it sunk in. He was just like her brother though. They bother wanted her to leave, to mind something else and like she did the first time, she left. But there was once difference; Seung-Hyun didn't die. Strangely, Eun-Ae was thankful for that and didn't quite understand the reason behind it but it was probably human nature kicking in.

 

There's a soft knock on the bathroom door. It took Eun-Ae a couple seconds to realize someone was calling out her name through the door and she quickly whipped herself up from the floor.

 

“Eun-Ae... Are you alright?” asks a voice.

 

It was Henry. Eun-Ae wiped the tears from her face and cheeks, and then checks her face in the mirror making sure she looked like she was fine. Her eyes instantly lock on her scar and she hesitates not knowing why she was seeing it. She turns away instantly frozen in fear and hears Henry calling for her again. Regaining her attention and she quickly looks around the ground for her bandana. It must have fallen off without her noticing when she rested her head on her knees. She grabs it off the floor, wrapping it around her head and without looking in the mirror once more, she opens the door.

 

“Yeah. I'm okay. My stomach just gets weak around blood. How is he?” she says nervously.

“Seung-Hyung? He's okay now. You have been in here for an hour, but if you are okay you should come and meet him.” says Henry.

“I don't think he'll like that...”

“Oh come on! You’re beautiful, what's there not to like about you!” Henry grabs her arm and drags her out of the bathroom.

 

Beautiful. That word didn't exist in her world and hearing it being said to her was shocking. She did look a little bit cleaner now after she asked Mi-Kum to lend her some money for a shower, some new clothes and a haircut. Mi-Kum was kind enough to give her some of her own money for her but she needed it. It had been a while she hadn't seen Eun-Ae and it looked like she needed some help freshening up. But after cleansing herself and putting on new clothes, she couldn't forget looking into the window of the clothes store the other day. She couldn't forget the reflection she saw and Seung-Hyun was right, she was ugly. Her brother always told her to not take those offensive words too seriously. He told her the world relayed on others words to much, so it was better not to take notice in them. But Eun-Ae did the complete opposite. Lucky Mi-Kum did her the favor. Mi-Kum was everything to Eun-Ae and it bothered her asking her for money but she would repay her. She was the closet of a Grandmother she would ever have and Eun-Ae couldn't thank her enough. On the night of her brother’s death, she ran into Mi-Kum and she took her in for a couple days. The next couple days were rough, seeing her brother on the news. Official announced him dead and a clam for the body but no one did. Days turned into weeks and she became very close to Mi-Kum like a mother and daughter . After a couple weeks, rules were rules and Eun-Ae had to leave her home, but that didn't stop her from visiting Mi-Kum often.

 

Henry and Eun-Ae entered the room and Seung-Hyun was resting on the bed with his eyes closed. Mi-Kum steps out of the room to clean up and Henry followed behind her. Eun-Ae stands in front of the bed not knowing what to do. She observes him from her position and notices something strange about him. His eyes, his mouth, his nose, his face... There was something about him that made Eun-Ae get butterflies in her stomach. Some of the sun light hit his face, just enough to make his cheeks sparkle. It was strange how different he looked from when she first saw him on the ground covered in blood. Sure he still had a couple bruises on his face but she could still see his face clearly. Eun-Ae felt her cheeks begin to warm up and she brings her hand up to her face. Why was she feeling this way? After all he said about being and ugly girl, how could she feel bad for him? Human nature perhaps.

 

She takes a few steps forward meeting with his bed and slowly makes her way next to him. She leans forward just to see his face clearer but before she could pull way, the boy’s eyes are open. Eun-Ae quickly takes a step back and her face transitions to a flashing red.

 

“Did you enjoy the show?” says Seung-Hyun with an evilish smile.

 

Eun-Ae hesitates, waiting for her responds to come out , but her brain does not make the connections.

 

“Haha. Someone’s very shy,” he says.

 

Seung-Hyun feels pretty funny until he realizes that he recognizes the girl. He remembers those eyes, the shape of her face but from where? He looks away, trying to remember and when he does, his face goes pale.

 

“I can tell you remember who I am,” says Eun-Ae. “I didn't think I would ever see you again, especially here in this house. Grandma told me you would of died if she hadn't come to the rescue. I'm surprised you let her help you since she is a girl.”

 

It's her! It's that girl that saved me from the group of boys! This is so messed up, why her! Now she's rubbing it in my pathetic face. I wish I would of just died on the stop instead of taking this humiliation! Anything but this!”

 

“I can also tell you feel very humiliated right now.” Eun-Ae smiles from the joy of his embarrassment. “It’s funny how it bites people in the when they don't appreciate what others do for them.”

“Okay, yes. I'm sorry, I should have been thankful.” says Seung-Hyun with his eyes wondering around the room.

“Save your apologies for when you really mean them. I don't need them from ugly boys like you,” snaps Eun-Ae.

 

With a smirk on her face, Eun-Ae turns around and exits the room. It made her feel a bit better getting back at home knowing he is helpless and hopefully Seung-Hyun had learned his lesson.

 

Seung-Hyun had nothing to say and just sits in silence. He was full of anger but he knew he deserved that. He also knew he was wrong but he didn't want to admit it. Seung-Hyun closes his eyes and thinks about the words she said to him. “I don't need them from ugly boys like him.” He silently laughs at that sentence knowing how perfectly she got him back. He had called her ugly and now she did the same, but this time she looked different. Her hair was short and combed. She wasn’t wearing those rags and her face was a mellow pink color. She looked pretty angry like that and he noticed how her eye brows curved the fiercer she became. He liked that. She wasn't so ugly anymore.

 

“What are you thinking about Seung-Hyun?” asks Henry.

 

Seung-Hyun jumps not knowing where the voice was coming from. He sits up and finally notices Henry was standing next to him with a cup of warm tea. Giggling, he hands the cup of tea to Seung-Hyun and sits in the chair next to him.

 

“Who were you thinking about?” asks Henry.

“I wasn’t thinking of anything or anyone!” snarls Seung-Hyun.

“Of course you were, you were smiling! Where you thinking about Eun-Ae?”

“What?” says Seung-Hyun, almost choking on his tea.

“She's really pretty isn't she? I call dibs!” chuckles Henry.

“Dibs? Pretty? She is...”

“Careful what you say Seung-Hyun, I heard everything and so did Halmeuni. She told you, you don't want to set her off again do you? I have heard she breaks arms.”

 

Henry smiles in Eun-Ae's defense and leaves the room. Now Seung-Hyun was at the bottle and couldn't be more embarrassed.

 

 

The Next Morning

 

Henry and Seung-Hyun spent another night in Mi-Kum's home. Since Seung-Hyun needed more time to recover, she allowed Henry to stay too. Mi-Kum was so generous and allowed Eun-Ae to stay as well.

They all sat around the table in silence waiting for Mi-Kum to come back with the breakfast. No sound was made for ten minutes and each of them was waiting for someone to start the conversation. Finally, Henry breaks the thick coat of awkwardness and turns to Eun-Ae.

 

“So you are also a runaway?” asks Henry.

“Yes I am.” Eun-Ae replies nervously.

“Cool, how did you end up meeting Halmeuni?” smiles Henry.

 

There is faint expression on Eun-Ae's face. She didn't exactly have to remember the past to answer the question but she didn't want to lie to them either, well at least not Henry. She tries to breathe in slowly and grabs her own hand beneath the table to keep her calm. The memories begin to pour into her mind and water immensity fills her eyes.

 

Seung-Hyun turns to Eun-Ae wondering why she hadn't responded yet. He can see something is holding her back. She closes her eyes and Henry begins to panic not knowing what to say or do. She reopens her eyes and opens .

 

“It's hard to remember, it was so long ago. I have known grandma for years now.”

 

Henry gasped in relief. He begins to tell his story and erases the moment of panic that crossed them. But for Seung-Hyun, there was something that bothered him about that moment. There was something she was tried to hide and he wanted to know what it was. There was a scream of terror in her eyes when she re-opened them, and it must be killing her from the inside.

 

The door opens and a loud thump noise follows. The house is silent for a couple seconds, neither of them knowing what the thump could have been. Eun-Ae stands up and walks out of the kitchen into the living room. The door is wide open bring fresh air into the room. She steps closer to the door only to see a body laying one the floor. A Scream travels through the whole house freighting Henry and Seung-Hyun. They immediately rush into the living room and come upon the horrifying scene.

 

It was dark out. You could hear thunder from a distance and it almost seemed to play well with the situation. Eun-Ae and Seung-Hyun sat in Mi-Kum's room, watching over her while she lay in bed almost lifeless. Eun-Ae stares off thinking deeply about something while Seung-Hyun is observing her trying to figure her out. Henry comes into the room with a bucket of warm water and damp towels.

 

“It's my turn to watch her, why don't you guys go rest for a while. I'll be fine alone with her.” Henry says.

“Are you sure?” asks Eun-Ae.

“Yeah. Go on, you look tired and looks like you have been over thinking.”

“Alright, but... umm...”

“What is it?” Henry turns his full attention to her. Seung-Hyun already looking at her, notices the terror in her eyes once again.

“I need some fresh air, I will go out. I won't take long I promise.”

“Oh. No problem, I trust you but be careful.”

 

Eun-Ae walks out of the room. Seung-Hyun panics a bit and walks towards the door.

 

“Eh... I'll be back too.” Seung-Hyun says quickly and runs out of the house.

 

The moonlight was slightly blinding and Seung-Hyun waits until his eyes adjust to the darkness. He looks around for Eun-Ae but she is nowhere in sight. He begins walking down the streets looking in every direction. There were few people wandering the streets but just enough to make it hard for him to keep his eyes focused on one thing. Car lights blind him and a couple people push him out of the way. His chest begins to hurt and suddenly he was on the ground. He had tripped on an old soda can. Seung-Hyun lifts himself off the ground and kicks the can. With his chest aching even more now, he turns and heads in a different direction. He becomes frustrated and walks into an alley trying to find some place to sit for a while. But before his has a chance to look around, he spots someone at the end of the alley. He slowly inches himself towards the person keeping his distance when he finally realizes in was a girl. She was standing there staring at the wall that cut off the alley and it didn't take him long to recognizes the clothing the girl was wearing. It was Eun-Ae!

 

He quickly hides behind a garbage can to keep her from spotting him. Even though it was dark, with the help of the street lights, they shined bright enough to see the surroundings in the alley. He stood silently waiting for her next move and presses his hand against his chest to ease down the pain from the fall. A sob catches his attention freighting him a little bit. She was crying, but why he thought? Was it because of Mi-Kum? Suddenly she turns around. Seung-Hyun whips his head back, putting him in an awkward position. His chest was now throbbing in pain and he tries to adjust himself as quietly as possible. He hears footsteps grow louder by the second but then they stop.

 

“I can do this... Come on I can do this!” Eun-Ae shouts.

 

She turns around and heads to the end of the alley again. There was a big wooden crate that was against the left side of the wall. Eun-Ae struggles trying to move the crate out of the way, and with a few pushes, a small door appears. She twists the door knob, but it was locked, just like it was supposed to be. She runs her fingers through the cracked under the door and she finds what she is looking for. She slowly pulls out a small paper clip that was ship-shaped into a key like form and she inserts it into the key hole. The door clicks open and she disappears through the door into the darkness. Without thinking, Seung-Hyun jumps up and runs towards the end of the alley.