A hidden secret

Love Box

Eun-Ae pushes the small door open, making a whistling noise and she peaks her head inside slowly disappearing into the darkness of the night. Seung-Hyun follows her towards the end of the alley and looks for the entrance Eun-Ae disappeared into. He finds a small door cracked open. Shivers run throughout his body telling him that this was not very safe, but he knew that Eun-Ae had gone that way so he had no other choice.

 

Some yells in the distance startle Seung-Hyun and he doesn't take another second to think about what to do. But the yelling voices hold him back and before he could make his next move, a body appears in front of the alley. Seung-Hyun jumps behind the wooden crate hoping whoever it was, they hadn't seen him.

 

“Who is hiding back there? Come out, come out, wherever you are... We won't hurt you?” yells the voice.

 

The voices but it didn't take him long to recognize who the voices owners were. It was the gang of boys who beat him up. But what were they doing here? Did they see him and follow him into the alley to finish him off? He couldn't risk it again so he quietly sneaks into the dark whole and closes the door behind him.

 

The gang of boys reach the end of the alley, meeting with a black wall.

 

“There's no one here Yong-Jo,” says a boy next to him.

“I think he realizes that you idiot!” says another behind him.

 

They are all quite down waiting for the leader response. Yong-Jo tries looking around for anything but it was useless in the dark. He waves his hand over his head and they all follow him out of the alley. He knew someone walked into that alley and he knew it was Seung-Hyun.

 

It was dark and dusty. Seung-Hyun had hard time breathing, convincing himself he might be claustrophobic or something but he wasn't quite sure if he was in a small space or not. He stands now confirming he was in a normal size room. He looks around trying to make something out of the black forms in the room but isn't very successful. He walks to his right meeting with some old dusty curtains. He pulls them to the side reviling a glass door. The moonlight shined through aluminating the room just enough to see what was on the floor. He spots another door on the other side of the room pierced open with a glimpse of light dripping out. He slowly slide his way along the walls to the door and as he gets closer, his ears pick up sobs. He pears through the door looking inside to find a girl sitting on the ground holding something. The candle light up the room but not enough to tell what she held in her hand.

 

“Please forgive me Oppa!” she sobs, wiping the tears from her eyes. “I didn't mean to erase you from my mind and now I am paying the consequences. Please Oppa, don't be mad at me. Eun-Ae is sorry, she's so sorry! I miss you so much!”

 

Seung-Hyun stood in shock. Eun-Ae set the object aside of her and cradles herself. Seung-Hyun peeks his head in a little more to get a better look at the object. It was a picture fame, and it had a picture of Eun-Ae next to an older boy.

 

Must be her brother... He must have died.”

 

The picture was a bit blurry but it was clear enough to see the faces. Seung-Hyun looked away from the picture and looked around the room. There was two bed mats spread out on the floor and a couple boxes in the corner. Then his eyes meet with something that concluded his thoughts. A black jar sat on the small table in front of Eun-Ae. Next to it were some dead flowers with a ribbon that had the words;

                                                                        ~ R.I.P Han Young-Su ~

 

He was right, her brother was dead.

 

Seung-Hyun slowly closes the door behind him. He had forgotten about the gang of boys and walked carelessly out of the alley and into the darkness of the streets. From across the street of the alley, sat Yong-Jo behind a bush. He was as well correct and steps back, disappearing into the darkness with a smile on his face.

 

 

The Next Morning

 

The house was quite that morning. All the windows were closed keeping the fresh air from the clusty air inside. Seung-Hyun was fast asleep in the chair next to Mi-Kum's bed and Eun-Ae sat on the floor next to the bed also sleeping. A sudden banging noise wakes Seung-Hyun. He jumps to his feet in panic, realizing he had fallen asleep on the job. He turns to Mi-Kum's bed seeing it was empty. Confused he head towards the door but a soft snoring coming from the floor stops him. Seung-Hyun walks over to the other side of the bed meeting with a body resting against the bed. Eun-Ae was sound asleep. It looked like she made it back safely but you could tell she had been crying because her eye lids were a bit swollen. He steps back grabbing the blanket off the bed and puts it over Eun-Ae then closes the door behind him.

 

Seung-Hyun looks for Henry in his room but finds no one. He walks into the kitchen and hears a door close. He quickly ducks under the table but the stranger caught a glimpse of his face before he could take cover.

 

“It's just me Seung-Hyun,” says Mi-Kum.

“When did you leave?” asks Seung-Hyun standing up.

“Not even a bear could wake you two up. I got up early to go to work and ran some errands afterwards. I couldn't stay a minute longer in that bed. I needed some fresh air!”

“How could you go to work like that? You need rest!” fights back Seung-Hyun.

“I am fine! I just haven't been sleeping very well. I'm getting old boy, but I am perfectly fine!” Mi-Kum rubs her neck trying to avoid the question.

“I think you should go see a doctor. If you don't want to go alone, I can go with. You can just say I am your grandson or something.” says Seung-Hyun.

“Don't worry too much about me boy, I am fine.” Mi-Kum says nervously, “Is Eun-Ae still asleep?”

“Yes, she had a long night yesterday. I think you should let her rest a bit longer,” says Seung-Hyun trying not to make it obvious that he followed her last night.

“I know she did. I heard her crying when she came back. Go take her to her bed. Her body needs rest too.”

“But... you want me to carry her to her bed?” asks Seung-Hyun nervously.

“You’re a man! She's not that heavy!” yells Mi-Kum.

 

Seung-Hyun puts her body down carefully on the bed. A drop of sweat from his forehead drops down onto the floor. Eun-Ae wasn't heavy just like Mi-Kum had said but Seung-Hyun had never been so close to a girl before. His older friends once told him being too close to girls made guys have weird feelings. He didn't quite understand what they meant, but it must have meant something bad, so he decided that girls were evil and couldn't be trusted. Maybe his friends were wrong. Maybe he was also wrong. He had treated Eun-Ae so bad, blaming her for interfering in his business, but in reality she did save his . He covers her with a blanket and stares at her face for a while. He observes her carefully, afraid she will awaken at any moment but he didn't want to leave. He brushes her hair from her forehead, reviling a scare. His hand comes up to his chest, almost as if he feels her pain. Seung-Hyun wondered what could of caused that big scar, but he didn't know her at all so he wasn't going to conclude anything. Her hair and that bandana she wore always covering her forehead so maybe it was something she didn't want to remember. Maybe it was a connection to her brother he thought and if it was, there was more to the story. He slowly moves her hair back, covering he scar once again and pulls away. Her lips were a nice plumpy pink color and her skin was a white creamy smooth-like color. He can't take his eyes away from her and a smile rose on his face. What was this feeling in his stomach? Butterflies? Why was he so nervous?

 

 

Afternoon

 

It was four PM and Seung-Hyun, Eun-Ae, and Mi-Kum all sat in the kitchen. The windows and curtains were now open bringing back the color into the house. Mi-Kum was sorting out some papers that made the atmosphere somewhat less awkward.

 

“How are you feeling?” asked Seung-Hyun looking directly at Eun-Ae.

 

Mi-Kum and Eun-Ae turn to Seung-Hyun surprised. Eun-Ae felt a wave an anger run through her whole body, still remembering the day she made a complete fool of herself by saving his life. But as soon as she made eye contact with him, all the anger disappeared. Something lingered in the way he asked her and his eyes gave out a sparkle of innocence but maybe it was just the lack of rest she had gotten.

 

“Why do you care?” hissed Eun-Ae, “Do you really care about this ugly girl?”

 

Mi-Kum sat back observing both of them. It seemed to her like they had somehow meet before and it was somewhat entertaining.

 

“I...” hesitated Seung-Hyun.

“I don't even want to hear it.” Eun-Ae says trying to sound made. She looked away from him trying to build her anger up again but she couldn't do it after seeing how serious he was. But at the same time, she didn't trust him and couldn't give in.

 

“I hope you are okay. You look tired.” Seung-Hyun says innocently.

 

Eun-Ae stands up fiercely, with her hand over her head just like when he first saw here. He felt his blood begin to boil but not because he was angry. The fuzzy sensation rece again in his stomach and he didn't know how to react.

 

“Whoa girl!” says Mi-Kum. She is holding onto Eun-Ae's arm and pulls it downwards, making her sit back into her chair. “It looks like you too need to talk about your past problems. Remember, violence never resolves anything!”

 

Eun-Ae sat in silence trying to figure out why she reacted like that.

 

“...Sorry I really didn't mean to hit him.” says Eun-Ae

“I want you both to take a walk and talk about it. When you guys comeback, I want smiles on those faces because it is your last day here.”

 

Eun-Ae didn't know if this was going to be a good thing or a bad one but she definitely didn't feel comfortable doing it. Seung-Hyun still with the fuzzy feeling says nothing and moves uncomfortably in his chair.

 

“Now go!” yells Mi-Kum regaining their attention.

 

They walk side by side moving along the sidewalk into the crowded city. Their pace is slow and every ten seconds their walk would turn into a pattern then fade. Five minutes had passed and neither had said a word. Seung-Hyun still bubbly, tries to put his words together and when he would open his mouth to say something, nothing would come out. Eun-Ae had no plan of speaking to Seung-Hyun and was ready to make her escape.

 

“I'm sorry...” Seung-Hyun finally says.

“You’re sorry...?” Eun-Ae says in a quiet voice.

“Yes... I'm really sorry. I was wrong. I should have been more appreciative towards you. You did save me and I am very thankful.” Seung-Hyun says catching a frog in his throat.

“You expect me to believe that you’re truly sorry?” snarls Eun-Ae.

“And I am also sorry for calling you...ugly,” spits out Seung-Hyun.

 

Eun-Ae stops in the middle of the sidewalk. She tries to look up at Seung-Hyun but she's afraid of drilling holes through his head. Seung-Hyun turns to her with a bad feeling in his gut knowing he will regret the words that will come out of his mouth, but only because he would be receive another slap on the face.

 

“Your...beautiful,” finishes Seung-Hyun.