Blood

Love Box

Four Days Later

 

It was twelve PM. A dog had woken Seung-Hyun up with all its barking. As soon as Mi-Kum walking in through the house door, it was the end of his stay. He had to leave this comfy bed which also meant no more breakfast, lunch, or dinner. He thought about falling out of bed or trying to and fake hurting himself, but this old lady was smarter than she looked. She probably knew all the tricks in the book by now. Over the past four days, Seung-Hyun learned a lot about Mi-Kum and knew now that she was a cat lady, just like she has told him. It makes him feel kind good that someone can understand him. Understand runaways, and take them in even though she had no idea who they are or what they are capable of. Of course Seung-Hyun wasn't the violent kind of kid like most of runaways. He has seen things that only the most desperate are capable of and it was terrifying. But she understood how desperate they all were. For love. Love from anyone willing to care about them and once that bond is made, it's hard to let go.

 

It was now one PM. The sun light shined through the windows, converting the room into an oven. Seung-Hyun heard footsteps out in the hall and freezes hoping if it was Mi-Kum, she would think he was still asleep and let him stay a bit longer. Then he hears a soft knock on the door.

 

“Hey... Seung-Hyun? Are you in there? It's me Henry!” whispers a voice.

“Yeah?” replies Seung-Hyun.

“Halmeuni isn't here! She told me I was to leave when she came back from work at her thrift store but she isn't back yet and I am beginning to worry. What if something happened to her? She's never late... well she was never late from the days I have been here... but still,” says Henry.

“I know. It is strange. I have been up for an hour waiting for her too,” says Seung-Hyun.

 

Seung-Hyun panicked a little. What if she really was a fake and played with them, waiting for the last day to turn them into the authorities? He tries to erase the thoughts from his mind and attempts get up from the bed. The pain in his chest still remains just as strong as when the boys left him in the alley but he was strong enough to stand up. He makes his way to the door slowly opening it. He steps out and walks into the kitchen, Henry follows from behind. In the kitchen laid five plates with a net over them to keep the dust and bugs from getting into the food. There was a small note to the left of the net awaiting to be read. Seung-Hyun took the note and read it out loud.

 

                                                                                                      Boys,

I went out to help a friend; I'll be back in a later.

Meanwhile eat up!

 

                                                                                                                             -Halmeuni

 

 

“What a relief. Now we know why she is talking so long.” says Henry cheerfully.

 

~

 

“Don't call me Grandma! I don't like that. I told you to call me Halmeuni!” yells Mi-Kum at the girl.

“It's the same thing but just in a different language. I like Grandma better!” wines the girl.

“Aish! You are a brat! Now come and help me and carry these bags. I must get home now.” snarls Mi-Kum.

“Oh yeah, you have visitors.”

“It's their last day but I need to re-wrap one on the boys chest before he leaves. He had got beat up pretty bad and they left a big gash in his chest. I can't figure out how that happened unless they had a knife of course.”

 

A boy? Could it be the one I tried to save? That poor bastard should of deserved to be left there! Halmeuni always finds the most injured before they die, but why out of all of them, did it have to be him!”

 

“What's in the bags?” she asks.

“Alcohol, some gauze, and some fresh clean bandages. His wound was pretty deep and I can assure him that it will leave a nasty mark forever.”

 

Good! Maybe he needs another scare, to remember my ugly face forever!”

 

“Grandma... I mean Halmeuni, can I come along? After all, I haven't been in your home for a while and besides, I can help clean after them since you bought me some new clothes and took me to get a haircut. It's the least I can do after the favor!”

“Alright then, come alone my girl!” says Mi-Kum.

 

They arrive to Mi-Kum's house and they walk into the kitchen. The girl had missed this place so much and didn't remember exactly how long it had been since she was last in here. She would always see Mi-Kum outside of her home, in the city or at her store. She examined the kitchen, smiling at every detail until her eyes meet with Henry's. He stand up from the table and bows politely to both Mi-Kum and the girl. The dishes that once had their food prepared had been washed and the kitchen had been cleaned up.

 

“Hello Henry. Did you rest okay? How is your leg?” asks Mi-Kum.

“Hello Halmeuni! I slept wonderfully. My leg is better now. Thanks you so much for letting me stay in your home. (Bows) I will never forget you and your kindness!” Henry says.

“I am glad you are better Henry. Now where is Seung-Hyun?” asks Mi-Kum.

“He is in his room. His chest began to hurt again so he went to go lay down the remaining time. He says he is fine though.”

“I will go check up on him, meanwhile talk with my guest. She has a lot in common with you.” Mi-Kum takes the bags and disappears into the hallway.

“Hello! My name is Han Eun-Ae. I am also a run away.” she says with a sweet smile.

 

There is a soft knock on Seung-Hyun's door and Mi-Kum comes in.

 

“Are you in pain?” she asks in a worried tone.

“You are back?” replies Seung-Hyun avoiding the obvious answer for her question.

“I went to go buy some more supplies for your wound. Sit up. I will disinfect it again and rewrap it with new bandages.”

 

Seung-Hyun does as Mi-Kim says and sits up. He takes his shirt off and she begins un-wrapping the old bandages. As she more she un-wraps them, blood begins to soak through. As she un-wraps the last part, she notices that the gash was reopened and blood began to drip down onto the bed.

 

“Eun-Ae! Bring me some towels from the bathroom! Hurry!” yells Mi-Kum.

 

Eun-Ae comes running in seconds later with a couple towels. She hands them to Mi-Kum and can't help but notice all of the blood from the boy’s chest. He had a cut on his upper part of his chest about five inches long diagonally and his chest was painted black and purple. Seconds passed and blood continued dripping down his chest, onto is stomach, dripping onto the bed. Eun-Ae quickly looks away, her mind racing for safe thoughts. Mi-Kum quickly presses against his chest to stop the bleeding.

 

“Ahh!” yells Seung-Hyun.

“Eun-Ae, I know you don't like blood, but I need you to look this way and pour some alcohol onto a clean towel.” says Mi-Kum

“I…” Eun-Ae was frozen in place, unable to say anything.

 

Henry suddenly ran into the room with more towels. He eyes widen when he eyes come upon Seung-Hyun's chest. He looks away and grabs the bottle of alcohol from the bag and pours it onto the towel. Handing it quickly to Mi-Kum he grabs Seung-Hyun's arms and Mi-Kum quickly switches the towel on his chest to the one with alcohol. Seung-Hyun kicks his feet and bits his lip trying to keep the pain of the burning sensation inside. Henry tried to keep his arms pinned down to the bed but the smell of blood and alcohol made it hard for him not want to vomit and remain his calm.

 

“Ahh! It burns! Take it off!” yells Seung-Hyun in pain.

“I know it hurts sweetie. Just hang in for a little bit more.” says Mi-Kum.

 

Before Mi-Kum realized what the site of blood did to Eun-Ae, she had already run out of the room. She runs into the bathroom slamming the door shut falling to her knees and cradling herself. Seung-Hyun's yells and the blood brought back flashbacks she didn't want to remember. She closes her eyes and tries to think of something else but tears begin to run down her cheeks and the memories pour into her head.

 

~

 

She runs into an abandon house with her brother. They were being chased and had to hide. There was nothing in the house but boxes and wooden crates and they had no other choice but to hide behind them. The gang og men caught up with them smashing through the front door. All were dressed in black with their hair gelled back. They all look around taking separate ways until one of them spots Eun-Ae's brother. With no time to think, her brother makes a quick decision and pushes her behind a wooden crate. The men don't notice and grab him, dragging him to the middle of the room where the moon light shines bright enough through the half broken glass window lighting up the boy’s face. They kick him several times just for the fun of it and let him take the pain of the blows. While he is in pain, Eun-Ae tries to get herself up. She had hit the corner of her head when her brother had pushed her out of the way to hide her. It made her light headed for a couple seconds and left a nasty gash with blood dripping down her face. When she finally regains her balance she hears yells and peaks her head out from behind the crate. In front of her laid her brother getting kicked and punched by five men. They were all shouting at him in anger but she couldn't make out what they were saying to him.

 

“You think you can just steal from us like that?” yells one of the men.

They continue to kick him and blood begins coming out of his mouth. One guy takes a gun out from behind him and aims it at the boy.

“Wait!” One of the men says, “We can get good money for him if we turn the little rat in. They give good rewards for runaways!”

“No! This kid deserves a punishment. One that will keep him from ever stealing our money again,” says another.

The man smiles and takes a pocket knife out if his jacket. It clicks open and he waves it around in the air teasing the boy.

“I will give you one more chance to tell me where you have my money or else you will die slowly and painfully!”

“I told you I didn't steal anything! You have me confused! I don't know what you are talking about!” he yells.

“Wrong answer! I don't play boy!” yells the man and before Eun-Ae could blink, the knife was in her brother’s chest.

 

Nothing else is said, only the sound of Eun-Ae's brother gasping for air. Eun-Ae's heart suddenly drops to the ground. She covers trying to hold in the screams. The knife is taken out of the boy’s chest and the men walk away, leaving empty handed. Eun-Ae tries standing up but her legs fail her and she begins to crawl over to her brother who was crying in pain. She begins to wail and yells out his name. His vision becomes blurry and his body shivers in shock. Eun-Ae slowly approaches him and can clearly see where he was stabbed. A stab right where the heart lies. She begins screams his name, the tears blinding her vision.

 

“Oppa! Oppa! Oppa please! Please answer me! Please oppa, don't leave me! Oppa please, I need you!”

 

He can hear a voice. He can hear her calling for him. He turns his head his eyes meeting with Eun-Ae's. He coughs up some blood and tries to say something with the little strength he has left.

 

“E...Eun..Eun-Ae. Lis..s...ten to m...e. I I want y...you to r r...un. Far a...away. Go NOW!”

“NO OPPA! I won't leave you!”

“E...Eun-Ae. Oppa is s...sorry.”

“NO! No oppa, I will get someone to come and help you! Just..,just hang on!

His body stops pumping blood and his lungs use up the last of the air in his body. He blinks once, Twice. One by one, each finger stops moving and his arms dropping onto the ground. Lifeless.

 

~

 

Blood. Blood was something that Eun-Ae couldn't bring to her mind. Blood was her enemy, bring back terrifying memories. Memories she wishes didn't exist. The blood and Seung-Hyun’s yells now tortured her like no one else could ever imagine. She brings her hand up to the scar on the left side of her forehead. She would always try to cover the scar with something to keep her mind from bring back the memories. Whether it was an ugly headband, her hair or mud, it had to be covered. It was always covered.