Five: Denial

Melting a Frozen Heart

Kina POV:

When I saw Minhyuk oppa spill the hot chocolate on his hand, I quickly run to him to see how badly he got burned,

"Oppa are you okay?" I ask immediately.

He laughs and casually nods his head, "Yeah I'm fine...it's just a slight burn, nothing bad." he says nonchalantly. I knew it was okay, but I took it seriously anyway. I grab his hand and drag him into the kitchen, "Yah, what are you-"

I turn on the faucet and stick his hand on the cool running water, "You need to treat a burn immediately, even if it's a minor one!" I tell him as the water hits my hand as well. It took some time to register that I was holding on to his wrist, but I knew that now was not the time to focus on such thoughts.

I had a burn to take care of. 

Once I saw that the inflammation has been greatly reduced, I grab a paper towel an dab it dry on his hand, "There you go. You should feel a little better now. Sorry for startling you." I say and rapidly walk back to the living room. I sit on the couch and shake my head. No Kina, NO! You don't like him. No, you can't like him, because he's a idol and you're just a nobody! Love doesn't exist remember? So forget about it! I thought as I keep shaking my head.

Ever since the divorce of my parents I learned that love wasn't real. It was a sugarcoated lie that shreds you away slowly and lasts temporarily. Once such thing called love is gone, it's over. So the best method, is to avoid it at all costs, even if it means to completely shut my heart.  

I hear soft footsteps from afar and quickly compose myself. Minhyuk oppa walks in and sits back down on the couch. "Thanks. My hand feels better. You're going to be a great doctor one day." he tells me.

I nod my head and take a sip of my hot chocolate again. "You're welcome. I needed such practice anyway. Thanks for being my guinea pig for the moment." I joke. He grins and sips his drink. I glance at him and quickly turn away when he looks at me,

"Is something bothering you?" he asks. I shake my head and keep drinking my hot chocolate. He looks down at his mug for a moment, then remembers, "Ah! I almost forgot about the photos! I'll show them to you. Wait right here." he says to me as he gets up and walks towards his room.

When he was out of sight I resumed back to my thoughts: He's just a friend who lives a life of his dreams and is adored by millions of fans. You're probably just another fan as well. So forget about it. "Yeah, I will..." I mumble to myself. He comes back a few moments later with a tin box in his hands, and places it  between us.

Opening the tin box, he takes a few photos and hands them to me, "Here are some photos I took while I was in America. I think you might recognize these famous sights faster than I can." he says to me as I shuffle through them.

"Oh you went to Washington D.C.! Lucky! Ahhh! That's the Lincoln Monument! Wahhh!" I exclaim, as I examine each photo. He watches my reaction, but says nothing. It didn't bother me though, since I was too busy looking at the photos. We began discussing about the historical landmarks and what activities occurred while Block B was over there.

"We got lost at one point in New York, and we had to ask the locals to help us. Thank god Kyung could speak some decent English to get through that hell!" he says to me while we examine some photos of New York City.

"Well you made it alive! That's what counts!" I say as I shuffle to the last photo of the pile. It was a photo of all the members making cute heart signs with with their arms while standing in front of a sculpture that was red and spelled out LOVE. I cringe. "That's cute. Love isn't even real." I say bitterly and shove it to the back of the photo pile to place them back in the box. When I look back up, I see a slight frown appear on his face, "Why are you frowing?" I ask. Normally he doesn't frown for such a long time, but at the moment he was.

"It's just..." he pauses for a moment, then continues, "Why do you think love doesn't exist?" he suddenly asks me.

Such question threw me off guard that I didn't know how to respond for a moment, "It just doesn't Minhyuk oppa. Love is a lie and it's a fails you once it goes away." I say sadly. I bring my knees to my chest and hug myself, "There's no such thing as true love. Do you think it exists?" I ask. He ponders on the question for a while. When he finally found his answer he says to me,

"Yes. I think true love does exist...if you let it come to you when it does." he continues, "It does go both ways. One can't keep loving, if the other can't accept it. If you really don't think it exists, it's probably because you haven't given it a chance." he finishes.

I shake my head, "Chances are risky. I don't like taking risks just to have my heart break. I've seen it happen way too many times from other people. I'm not going to be like them." I remark.

He nods his head and answers, "If you say so, but eventually someone will walk into your life who you will want to love, care, and cherish. Someone you know who will do the same for you and will do anything to make you happy. If he does come, will you still take the chance?" he asks. I give myself some thought,

"In theory, maybe...but he'd have to be one freaking amazing guy to be there." I answer.

He nods his head, but says nothing more and closes up the tin box, "I'm going to put this back to my room, I'll be back." he says as he takes it back to his room, leaving me alone on the couch again.

I bring my knees to my chest and hug myself. "I'm sorry Minhyuk oppa, but I can't like you because I don't want to get hurt..." I mumble and lean my forehead on my knees.