Three: Wishbone the Stuffed Dog

Melting a Frozen Heart

Kina POV:

I threw all of my soiled clothes into the laundry hamper and changed into something casual: an oversized panda sweater with black sweat pants. I pour some water in the cordless kettle, and prepare the coffee. Once the prepping was finished, I walk back to my room to organize my things for a bit. Since Mom was at work again, I had to do the cooking and cleaning for the day.

It's been a while since Minhyuk oppa came to my house, and I wanted it to look nice. I take out my books and place them on my desk, but my eyes found something else. Besides my desk, there was a stuffed dog toy named Wishbone, and it was dressed in a historical English prince suit. Wishbone was one of my favortie childern's TV series back in America, and this episode was one of my favorites. I pick up the stuffed animals and hugged it, "Wishbone, what story can you tell me today?" I ask as I place the doll on my lap.

I play around with the toy dog till I heard the doorbell ring, "Oh the coffee! Minhyuk oppa!" I remember, and I run out to grab the door. Slowly opening the door, I peer out to see him dressed up comfortably in a green turtle neck sweater, a red and grey beanie, and leather pants.

"May I come in?" he asks with a coy smile on his face as I him inside. When he entered the house, he looks down at my hand, "That's a cute dog you got there."

I look down and realize that I was still holding on to my stuffed dog Wishbone. I proudly held it in front of me and grin, "Isn't he? His name is Wishbone! He was one of my favortie characters back in America!" I beam, "This is his prince outfit in one of the series. It was based on the story "The Prince and the Pauper", and old English tale of a prince and a poor boy swtiching lives for a few days because they thought one lived the easier life than the other." I finish. Minhyuk chuckles,

"I'm guessing this was one of your favorite episodes of the show since you remember it so well?" he asks. I nod my head as I place Wishbone on one of the living room couches and prepare the rest of the coffee.

"Yup, it is. You know, sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I was someone else...like a famous person! Anyways, how do you like your coffee oppa?" I ask as I pour the coffee in a random, dark green mug.

"Cream and some sugar please, and you're looking at one right here!" Minhyuk jokes as I give him his coffee reward.

I roll my eyes, "I know, but you're different. I already know how you are compared to how you display yourself on the big screen. You're sillier than how you present yourself out there, you know that right?" I remark, taking a small sip of my coffee.

"I'm different just because you know me? Thanks Kina!" he scoffs.

"You're welcome. Now I don't owe you coffee." I reply back. Deep inside though, I wanted to tell him how I was pretty damn lucky that I knew someone popular like Minhyuk oppa, but part of me also knew how much he had to suffer just to be where he is now, so I said nothing.

"And someone has to maintain a good image of Block B!" he defends himself.

I bust out laughing, "What image? I thought you guys were proud not to have one!" I tease. He looks away and places his hand on the back of his neck,

"Yeah you're right... we don't. Oh well, looks like that didn't work." he admits. 

"That's what I thought." I say triumphly and went back to my coffee.

We both sit in silence for a while, enjoying our warm coffee. The only noise that was present was the sound of the grandfather clock ticking in the living room. After a few moments later, he puts down his coffee cup and scrutinizes my stuffed animal. "It looks like a jack russell terrier breed. Taeil hyung loves them!" he says brightly. I put my coffee cup down on my lap and nod my head,

"Yeah it is. I always wanted a dog after watching Wishbone, but then we moved to Korea. Funny, how fast time flew by since then..." I say. He glances at me and nods his head,

"Yeah...it's been almost what? Twelve years since then? Man, how much time has gone by." he places Wishbone back down on the couch and stands up to stretch. "Thanks for the coffee Kina. I haven't had your coffee in a while." he says to me. I smile and nod my head.

"Come by more often then, and I'll make some for you. It's not that hard." I joke, but quickly became serious, "Well, I'm gonna have to kick you out now since I have to go back to my studies. See you later man." I say, picking up our empty coffee mugs and placing them back in the sink.

He frowns at me, but shrugs it off, "Alright, get back to your studies then. Have fun studying your brains off!" he says sarcastically as he puts his boots back on his feet. I walk towards the door to let him outside. He suddenly turns around and says, "If you're not too busy, come over tomorrow. I have a few photos to show you that I think you might appreciate!"

I grin, "Thanks. I'll call you when I get there. Do you still have my number?" I ask. He takes out his cell phone and shows me his contact list. Surprisingly, I was still on there, "Oh wow! That's a miracle! I'm still on your list. Cool."

"Of course you are! I wouldn't remove my childhood buddy for no reason!" he says to me.

I laugh and playfully shove him out the door, "Haha, you're cute. I'll call you when I'm gonna come over...or just show up, whatever works for me that day. See you tomorrow!" I say. He waves back to me flashing me a smile along with his dimples,

"Alright, see you!" he turns back and walks towards his apartment. I watch him descend down the stairs. Once he was out of my sight, I close the door and sigh. "Ah~ he still remembers me and kept my number even after all these years. That's nice of him..." I say to myself and go back to cleaning the coffee mugs. When that was done, I find Wishbone on the couch where Minhyuk oppa left him, and hugged it tightly.

"What's the story Wishbone~" I sing and walk back to my room to study.