One: Coffee Bet

Melting a Frozen Heart

Kina POV:

"Oh! Minhyuk oppa!" I exclaim, "Wow, you've changed a lot man! I almost didn't recognize you!"

He laughs and pats my head knowing that this usually annoys me, "Thanks for that greeting. I see that you haven't changed much at all." he says. I push his hand away from my head and roll my eyes,

"Never mind. You didn't much change either other than your hair color." I say, but pause and glance back at him, "Wait. What are you doing here? Shouldn't be working on a promotion or something with Block B?"

He shrugs, "Well, the big boss said we can have a winter vacation with our families before we go back to our busy schedules in the new year. Are you coming back home for break?" he asks me. I bob my head to the side and crinkle my nose,

"I guess you can say, 'break'. I have a crap ton of things to study for thanks to med school." I whine. He glances at my large bookbag and shakes his head, 

"There you go again, always overworking yourself with your studies. Looks like you haven't changed at all! Here let me help." he leans over to grab my backpack, but I step back and vigirously shake my head,

"Oh no it's okay! I can carry this by myself! I already made it halfway here!' I assure him as I clutch my bag tightly.

A skeptical look appears on his face but he casually shrugs"Okay if you say so, but I better not hear you complain about it once, or else you owe me a cup of coffee!" he said with a smirk on his face. 

When I heard this bet, I straightened myself up and look at him right in the eyes, "Deal! I won't complain about it!" I exclaim.

He laughs and the two of us head back home. On our way, we began discussing about the various events in our lives within the past three years. He did most of the talking though, since he had more to say that I did it almost made me envious. I mean what more can I tell him other than my daily routine of getting up in the early morning, eating, going to school, studying, sleeping and repeating it all the next day?

"You're not talking much Kina. Are you alright?" he asks with concern. I nod my head tiredly,

"Yeah...I'm just tired because of all of this walking and this freaking heavy bookbag..."

He raises his eyebrows, "What was that? Did I hear you complain about your heavy bookbag?" he presses. I pause to retrace my conversation in my brain. 

Yeah he's right. I failed. Crap. I thought. Normally I would argue or deny it, but not today. I sigh and faced him in defeat, "Alright you win. I'll buy you coffee the next time we see each other." I said.

He chuckles, "Okay, but you do look really tired. Will you let me carry that bookbag for you?" he asks. I nod and slide it away from my body to give to him. Once it was off my back, I felt my body revive back to life! I stretched and quickly inhaled cold air because I felt so FREE~! Then I started coughing from the cold air.

"Yo you alright? My god, you're going to give me a heart attack one day because of your clumsiness!" he said to me once I stopped coughing.

I glare back at him, but quickly cleared my throat and said, "Thanks for carrying my bookbag for me..."

He chuckles quietly and grins, "You're welcome. Oh, well it looks like we're here." I stop walking and glance up to see the apartment complex where we lived back when we kids. Home. It's been a while. He takes my bookbag off his back and hands it to me, "It was nice seeing you Kina. Let's meet up again before we both go, alright?"

"Yeah definitely. I owe you coffee anyway. See you then!" we wave to each other and walk towards the opposite directions. As I walk up the stairs, I pause halfway to see the a light amount of snow falling slowly on the earth. Something told me that this winter break is going to be different from the holiday breaks in the past.