Chapter 5. Apologies and Farewells

What Happens Next

Won sat at the desk in the large suite they had stayed for their honeymoon, typing away at his laptop while Da-kyung stared out the window at the opposite end of the room. They were supposed to spend three weeks together on their honeymoon but they were already sick of breathing the same air. They hadn’t said two words to each other since they got to Venice. Da-kyung spent most of the day wondering around the city and Won spent most of the time working. It was raining today, so Da-kyung decided to stay in. She didn’t always have to leave the suite to avoid him, she could enjoy her honeymoon even if she hated her husband. They were going back to Korea in a few days, she was happy. She missed home, her parents and she even missed her new found friendship with Eun-sang. She glanced at Won who was still working on his computer and sighed. Eun-sang was a very lucky girl, she managed to fall for the brave and kind brother. She had spoken to Eun-sang a few times over the phone since she got to Venice and she had told her all about all the sights she had seen. They managed to talk about everything but whenever Eun-sang asked how she was getting along with Won, she always changed the subject. Eun-sang kept telling her that Won was very kind and caring but she just couldn’t believe it. She couldn’t wait to get back to Korea, she was feeling suffocated spending everyday with him.

Won had so much work to finish up before he returned to Korea. Vice-President Yoon had told him to take it easy on his honeymoon but he didn’t want to. He needed something to distract him from Da-kyung or he felt he might lose his mind. Having to stay in the same room, day in day out, waking up to her face every day, it was going to make him crazy. He couldn’t wait to go back home. Tan had accepted to go to Harvard, he had told his new secretary to make preparations. He stopped typing and glanced at Da-kyung, she was looking out the window again. He wondered what she was thinking about. He noticed her shoulders move up and down like she was sighing and then she got up from her place at the window. He immediately returned his attention to his laptop. “I’m going to get some lunch.” He heard her say and then she left the room. She had been doing that every day for the past week. He thought that perhaps she realized her ‘let’s not speak to each other’ rule was childish and ridiculous, especially in a place where they knew no one. She would say ‘I’m going to get lunch’ and then disappear for hours when they had first arrived. She would say she was going shopping in the store downstairs and not return until nightfall, he hadn’t cared at all before. However, after spending every day with her, he noticed she looked lonelier whenever she walked through the door of the suite. He tried not to notice but it was hard not to. He began to worry about her. He decided that when she got back from wherever, they needed to reassess some of those rules she laid down. He was going to approach this marriage like a mature person.

Da-kyung couldn’t stand being in the room any longer, rain or no, she had to get out. When she walked out of the hotel, she saw a stall where umbrellas were being sold and she bought one. She could walk around with this. This was the first time it rained since she got to Venice, people weren’t riding the gondolas, they weren’t sitting in outdoor cafes sipping on espressos. In fact, there weren’t a lot of people around and she found that she enjoyed it like this. Most people were inside shops or patisseries or houses and she was here, getting her shoes wet on the cobblestone path. She walked into a bakery and stopped to smell the warm aroma of freshly baked pastries. She walked to the counter and ordered a cinnamon bun and a mocha latte. She sat at a table by the window and her thoughts wondered back to Won. Before they left for Venice, Eun-sang had sat in her room while she packed. “Unni, are you planning on just ignoring Won oppa for the rest of your married life?” she had asked.

“What are you talking about?”

“Unni, I notice more than you think I do. I noticed that whenever he walks into a room, you leave. I noticed that you two don’t even greet each other.”

“Eun-sang, we had a plan and we had decided the course of action to take with regards to our marriage.”

“And what course of action would that be?”

“We are getting divorced soon.”

“What?! How soon?”

“Three years at least. Just enough time to strengthen the relationship between our two companies.” She had said as she folded another pair of jeans into her bag.

“Unni, is that really necessary? Do you have to divorce him?”

“I can’t stay married to a man whom I can’t stand. I can’t Eun-sang. It hurts to look at him.”

Eun-sang had sat on her bed and taken her hands, “Unni, I’ll let you in on a secret.” She had said while looking into her eyes. “Won oppa is more miserable and pitiful than he lets on. Tan told me that some times, he hears him crying in his study. It’s hard on Won oppa too. Can’t you at least be friends?”

“Here’s your cinnamon bun and mocha latte.” The waiter said, snapping her out of her reverie.

“Ah, grazie.” She replied.

She kept remembering her conversation with Eun-sang, “Won oppa is such a kind-hearted person. He is really lonely too, just as you are Unni. Even if you are going to end up divorcing him, can’t you at least try to be friends with him for now? He needs a friend so much.”

Won didn’t seem like a kind-hearted person to her. He had been cold towards her ever since they met. As if it was her fault that they ended up married or something. She sighed, she trusted Eun-sang’s judgment and if she said he was kind, then she’ll make a concerted effort to be somewhat nice to him. “I guess we need to re-assess the rules I laid down.” She thought.

 

Won shut off his laptop just as Da-kyung walked into the room, she was earlier today than most days, must be because of the rain. “Da-kyungssi, when you get changed, I need to talk to you.” He said and she nodded. They sat on opposite sides of the dining table, she in her thick white bathrobe and him in a grey t-shirt and black jogging pants. “Da-kyungssi,” he started, “we need to re-assess some of your ground rules. We are adults, and therefore we have to act as such. I know that you don’t like me but I am still your husband for these three years we are going to be married. I would prefer if we managed to be civil to one another. We should at least have the minimum courtesy for one another if we are to make people believe that we don’t hate each other, don’t you think?”

“President Kim,” she replied and he interrupted her.

“For starters, you should try calling me by my name. It is more believable than if you kept calling me President Kim all the time.”

“Wonssi,” she said as if trying it out, “I agree that some of my rules were a bit ridiculous and may seem troublesome now, so I came up with a few amendments. We may discuss certain aspects of our lives with one another and our work as well. You may inform me if you will be late and I will inform you if I will be late. This is part of the minimum courtesy among married people right? At least to make our marriage look more believable.”

“I’m glad I find you agreeable to making amendments.”

“But, we still have separate bedrooms and you can still love whomever you chose. Just because we are married doesn’t mean you have to be faithful to me.”

“Are you saying you’d like me to have an affair? Perhaps you intend to do such things too?”

“I’m saying, if you happen to meet a nice girl who moves you, you shouldn’t feel guilty because of me. I’m giving you free reign. In fact, I will support you and help you win her over.”

Won gaped at her, she probably didn’t realize how ridiculous what she was saying sounded. “You realize that if I find a girl who ‘moves’ me and I start going after her, my reputation will suffer. If word gets out, I’m going to be the jerk of a husband who couldn’t be faithful to his wife. No one would believe you gave me ‘free reign’, everyone would paint you as the victim.”

Da-kyung thought about it, he did have a point. “Fine, we have to be faithful to one another. But, if you fall in love with someone else, you have to wait till our three years has elapsed before you make your move. If you absolutely can’t live without her before the three years is up, I’ll divorce you and you will have to handle the fall-out from it. Agreed?”

“And what if you fall in love with someone and can’t wait till the three years has elapsed? Will you deal with the fall-out from the divorce?”

“Of course. Do we have a deal?” She asked sticking out her hand.

“Deal.” He replied and shook her hand firmly.       

“Unni!” Eun-sang called out to Da-kyung and waved. Eun-sang and Tan had come to pick up Won and Da-kyung who were returning from their honeymoon. Eun-sang was excited that Da-kyung was back because she had missed her. She was curious about how the relationship between her and Won had developed. Eun-sang was a good judge of people, and she had seen that Won and Da-kyung could be great friends if they just gave themselves the chance. They were thrown together by a cruel fate, but that didn’t mean they couldn’t make it work. She had hoped what she had told Da-kyung about Won would help her see him in a new light.

Da-kyung and Won made their way towards Tan and Eun-sang, while Won pushed the cart carrying their luggage. Since their agreement to try to be civil to one another three days ago, they found they were quite comfortable with each other. They didn’t have to act like they were happy when they couldn’t stand each other. They had acknowledged to one another that they hated the way their parents forced them together. At least, now they didn’t feel like they were enemies anymore. They were allies, united by the idea of making it work for the stated three years.

Eun-sang threw her arms around Da-kyung and hugged her. Da-kyung hugged her back and smiled. Then Eun-sang turned to Won and hesitated. Won smiled and opened his arms and she stepped into his embrace. “Welcome back.” She said.

“Okay, that’s enough hugging.” Tan said and pulled them apart.

“Are you jealous of your brother Kim Tan?” Eun-sang said and Won chuckled.

“Hyung, how would you feel if I hugged your woman all tight like that? You know what; I’m going to hug hyung-soo.” Tan grabbed Da-kyung in a hug that caused her to squeal and beat against his back.

“Ya Tan, let go. I can’t breathe.” She laughed and Tan let her go.

Eun-sang smacked his arm, “Aigoo, this immature boyfriend of mine.” She linked her arm with Da-kyung’s and they walked ahead of the men.

“Hyung, are you okay?” Tan asked when the women were a little distance from them.

“I’m trying to be. Da-kyungssi and I have decided to try to be civil to one another during the term of our marriage. We’ve decided to be allies instead of enemies.”

“Hyung, are you sure you want me to go to Harvard? I could just go a business school here. I’m sure there are plenty good ones around.”

“Tan, there’s no way you’re changing your mind. The way for you to help me is to go and get a top-notch education and come back and help me run Jeguk Group. Did you convince Eun-sang to go with you?”

“There is no convincing that girl. She wants to go to Seoul NU. She says she can’t accept anything else from our family. Can you imagine?”

Won recalled Hyun-joo saying those words to him when he tried to give her the wishbone necklace, the necklace that still sat in the desk drawer in his study. “Perhaps it’s best you listen to her and not try to force the issue.”

“I have no choice. Cha Eun-sang is stubborn and doesn’t let me do things for her but I love her and I wouldn’t want to lose her, so I’m going to respect her choices.” Tan looked ahead at the two women walking in front of them. He noticed Eun-sang was laughing at something Da-kyung had said.

“Unni, I’m so jealous. I wish I could go to Venice. It sounds so beautiful.” Da-kyung was unpacking her luggage in the master bedroom, she had refused to let one of the maids do it for her. Eun-sang sat on the huge king sized bed and listened to the stories of all the places Da-kyung had visited and all the sights she had seen. She told her about her first time riding a gondola and how the gondolier had sang ‘Con Te Partiro’.

“I’m so glad I went to Venice, next time let’s go together, hmm?”

“Even if Tan and I aren’t together anymore?”

“I like you because you’re you, not because of Kim Tan. I like you as a little sister.” Da-kyung touched her shoulder and Eun-sang smiled.

“So Unni, how are things with Wonnie Oppa?”

“We have decided to work together as allies. Friendship is still a long way off, but at least we are going to try to make things work and be nice to one another.”

“That’s good. I’m sure when Wonnie Oppa sees what a good person you are and when you realize what an amazing guy he is, you two will be very good friends.”

Tan walked into the room and planted himself on the bed next to Eun-sang, Won came in shortly after. They had gone to the company after dropping the women at home. Won had to see Vice-president Yoon about all the work he had done while in Venice and Tan had gone with him. They were trying to acquire an up-and-coming patisserie. Jeguk was going to invest in the business and turn it into a franchise. They were in talks with the business owner and he was being somewhat stubborn.

“Hyung-soo, what did you get me?” Tan asked drawing circles on Eun-sang’s palm with his finger and making her giggle.

“This. I saw it and immediately thought of you.” Da-kyung produced a cherub figurine. The cherub’s hands were clasped together as if in prayer, but it had a mischievous smile on its face.

“Is this what I remind you of? A cherub?”

“A naughty cherub.” Eun-sang corrected him while studying the figurine.

“Hyung, what about you?”

“Ah, I wasn’t able to go shopping because I was so busy. Mian.”

“This is for you. From one sister to another. You’re going to university soon, you need to look cool.” Da-kyung produced a box containing a pair of black high-heeled sandals.

“Omo Unni, these are so pretty! Kumawoyo Unni. I love them.” Eun-sang hugged the shoes.

Da-kyung was oblivious to the fact that Won was watching her. She was smiling so happily, he had never seen her smile like that. He thought she didn’t look so angry when she smiled like that. He wondered what things would have been like if they had met under different circumstances. Perhaps, they might even have been friends.

Tan dropped Eun-sang off at her house and took that chance to see his mother.

“Omma, I’m here.” He said walking into the house followed by Eun-sang.

“Adeul, how are you? You don’t come to see me often.” Ki-ae pouted, Tan joined her on the sofa.

“Hey, that’s why Eun-sang is here. Doesn’t she watch over you and take care of you?”

“I still miss you.” She said.

“I miss you too Omma. Hyung is back, he got back today.”

“How is he doing?” She asked.

“He’s fine I guess, as fine as he can be. Omma, I’m going to America soon.” Tan said.

“Wae? Are you fighting with your hyung again? I thought everything was settled.” Ki-ae was nervous. She still didn’t know where her relationship with Won stood.

“It’s not like that Omma, I’m going to Harvard business school. Hyung doesn’t want me to go even if he suggested it, but I have to for the sake of the company. I’m going to learn and come back and help hyung run the company well.”

“I’m going to miss you again.”

“Don’t worry Omma, I’m going to come home at holidays to see you and you can come over to America to visit me too.” He hugged her.

Eun-sang, who had gone into her room to change as soon as she came in, came into the living room. “Where’s my mom?” she asked Ki-ae.

“She went to the market to do some shopping. Remember we are supposed to make Kimchi tonight.” Ki-ae responded and Eun-sang nodded.

“Tanah, come to my room for a minute.” Eun-sang said and Ki-ae looked at her.

“Don’t you two get into any trouble okay?” she said with concern.

“Don’t worry Omoni, I’ll keep him under control.” Eun-sang said and pulled Tan along with her to her room.

“I finally get to see your room Cha Eun-sang.” Tan said. Her room wasn’t too big, definitely not as big as his. But it was comfortable. Her dream catcher hung over her headboard, the giant stuffed owl he had given her rested on its place on her bed. There was a picture of the both of them at his birthday last year on her chest of drawers along with pictures of her and her mom and her and his mom and a picture of him laughing was on the drawer beside her bed. “When did you take this picture?” he asked picking up the picture of him laughing.

“That day we went on the picnic. I had never seen you laugh like that, so free and child-like. I love that laugh.” She said sitting on her bed, he came to join her. “Tanah, I’m going to miss you so much when you go to America.” She said and looked down so he wouldn’t see her tears.

“Hey,” he said putting his hand under her chin and raising her face to his. “I’m going to call you, we can facetime, and you can come visit me. I’ll also come home on holidays. It’s going to work out, okay?” He said and she nodded. He hugged her. “Don’t flirt with those boys in your class, okay? Don’t let anyone make you sad, don’t miss me too much, don’t get hurt, eat well and sleep well.” He said and she laughed against his chest.

“I can’t guarantee that the boys in my class won’t fall for me though.”

He pulled away from her, “Yah! I’m going to kill them if they try it. In fact, you know what, we are going ring shopping before I leave. I need something to prove to those boys that you’re taken.”

“Kim Tan, you’re such a future jealous husband.” She kissed him.

He pulled away from her, “You don’t play fair Cha Eun-sang.”

“Wae,” she smiled mischievously, “shiro?”

“Ani, I like it very much.” He kissed her again. Suddenly, they heard a clapping noise from behind them. They broke apart and saw Hee-nam standing at the door.

Cha Eun-sang felt her face grow hot and Kim Tan immediately stood up and bowed. “Omoni, annyeonghaseyo.”

“What do you think you’re doing?” Hee-nam signed at Eun-sang.

“Omma, I was just- uh…”

“We need to start the Kimchi, come out.” She signed at her and left the room.

Kim Tan and Eun-sang dissolved into a fit of giggles immediately she left. “Yah, do you think we’re in trouble?” Tan asked.

“I don’t think so. Let’s go make Kimchi. You’re going to help, right?” Eun-sang said.

“I’ve never made Kimchi before.”

“Don’t worry, you’ll learn today. Let’s go.”

They all made Kimchi together, Eun-sang feeding Tan bits and pieces of Kimchi. When they were done, Hee-nam made Ki-ae pack some up so that Tan could take it back home for Won and Da-kyung. “Omma, you should stop by the house sometime and pay a visit to Hyung and Da-kyung noona.” Tan said and Ki-ae agreed that she’ll make time. Tan kissed Eun-sang goodbye and drove home.

Everyone was busy preparing to go to University as the first semester was approaching, it was Autumn in South Korea. Tan was preparing to go to America and he had a few days left before he had to leave so as to be able to get settled before the semester started. Tan sat on his bed while Da-kyung helped him select what he should take and what he shouldn’t. He had gotten to know Da-kyung over the four months she had been married to his hyung. He realized she was a warm person, she liked to take care of people and she liked to laugh. She was a good cook and she liked to tell jokes. She had a habit of pulling on her ear when she was sad and felt like crying. He had noticed it one day when he saw her staring at a picture. He had seen her that day by accident because she didn’t know he had come in. He guessed that must have been her boyfriend. He realized that she and Hyung were similar in a lot of ways and he wished they could help each other heal and become friends.

“How is your father Tanah? He must be angry that I haven’t been by to see him since the wedding. Is the country air doing him any good?” She pulled clothes off the rack and laid them beside him on the bed.

“I don’t think he’s angry. His health is improving these days. He says he misses the company. Hyung-soo, I want to ask you something?”

“What’s that?” she asked

“Do you miss your boyfriend?” he asked candidly. Da-kyung stopped folding and looked at him. “I know that you and hyung didn’t want to get married to each other. I saw you staring at a picture one day. He was your boyfriend wasn’t he? The man in the picture.”

“Yes, he was my boyfriend. I do miss him sometimes, but I’m getting over him little by little. I used to wish I loved him enough to stand up to my father and refuse to marry your brother but now, I don’t feel so sad. Wonssi is nice and I don’t hate him.”

“Noona, I know how you must feel about hyung, but I hope that you can make things work out with him.”

Da-kyung patted him on the head and smiled at him. “Don’t worry about anything.”

Tan liked her, he didn’t know anything about his hyung’s ex-girlfriend except the fact that hyung loved her and he was hurt when he had to break up with her, but he knew that Da-kyung noona was a good person and he hoped that they could help each other heal.

Da-kyung sat in her bed in her room that night. She slept in this room, but all her stuff was in the master bedroom. She would wait until the house was silent and quietly sneak out of the master bedroom to sleep in her own bed. She did this so the maids wouldn’t suspect and gossip. She thought about how living with Won for the past four months had been like. He was indeed kind like Eun-sang had said. He was attentive towards Tan, he was kind to the maids and he was even respectful towards Tan’s mother the few times she had come to visit them. He was even nice and thoughtful towards her. He had asked her if she needed a few days away from him, maybe to visit her parents. She hadn’t been home since she got married, so she had agreed to go away this weekend, the day after Tan leaves.

Friday dawned, and Tan was packed and ready to leave for America. His flight was around 12 p.m. so there was a lot of time for the people who wanted to see him off to make it to the airport. Eun-sang had arrived very early in the morning and fussed over Tan but now, as they made their way to the airport, she was quietly staring out the window. Won was driving and Da-kyung was in the passenger seat beside him. Tan and Eun-sang sat next to each other at the back. When they arrived at the airport, Young-do, Rachel, Bo-na and Chan-young were already there.

Two days before, Tan had gone to Young-do’s hotel to pay him a visit. Their friendship was getting back on track and they were beginning to become comfortable around one another again. They were playing a round of video games, when Tan paused the game and turned to Young-do.

“I’m leaving for America in two days time. You better come and see me off at the airport.”

“Kim Tan, I know we are friends again, but there’s something that you did that really angered me.”

“What’s that?”

“Rachel.”

Tan sighed, he understood what Young-do meant. Eun-sang had told him that she had apologized to Rachel about what they did to her. He knew he had to do the same. He had to apologize to Rachel for cheating on her and disregarding her feelings.

“Are you standing up for your sister now?” Tan teased.

“You don’t know how hurt she was because of Cha Eun-sang. You should have treated her better even if you didn’t love her.” Young-do responded gently.

“I know I should have done things differently. I should have been braver from the start. Can you bring Rachel along to the airport? I’d like to make amends before I leave.”

“I can do that.” He pressed play and they continued their game. “Have you heard from Hyo-shin sunbae?”

“I heard he is getting out of the army soon, I really admire that sunbae. He’s brave.”  

Kim Tan pulled his luggage along with him till he got to where his friends were standing. “I’m surprised you all came to say goodbye to me. I didn’t know you liked me that much.”

“I only came here because I was afraid Eun-sang would attempt to follow you on the plane.” Chan-young said casting a sideways glance at Eun-sang.

“I came because of Eun-sang too, so don’t flatter yourself too much.” Bo-na said and held on to Eun-sang’s arm.

“Rachel, can I talk to you alone for a moment?” Tan said to Rachel and she nodded. They moved a little way from the others and talked. “Rachel, I realize I never apologized for how I treated you last year. I want you to know that I’m sorry we fell out so badly but I hope we can be friends again.”

“Kim Tan, I did my fair share of nasty things to Eun-sang last year so I believe we’re squared. You don’t need to apologize to me, I probably would have been as selfish as you if I had the courage to do so. As for us being friends, that may not happen soon but we can part on amicable terms now.” She held out her hand and he shook it.

His flight was being called, so they both headed back to where the others were standing. “Cha Eun-sang.” He said her name and she went to him. She embraced him and inhaled his scent. “Wait a moment, I want to remember what you smell and feel like.”

“Ya Cha Eun-sang, it’s not like I’m going off to war okay. I’ll be back by Christmas.” He patted her head as she buried her nose deeper into his shirt. He pulled her away from him and kissed her forehead and pecked her lips.

“I’m going to miss you.” She said.

He smiled at that. “Hyung, hyung-soo, please take care of Eun-sang for me. Eun-sang, take care of yourself and don’t you dare cheat on me because I will know.”

“Arasso, I’ll try not to.”

The final call came in for his flight so he headed off to board. He stopped at intervals to wave at his friends and family and just before he went into the plane, he sent a huge heart over his head to Eun-sang and she dissolved into a fit of giggles. She loved him so much.

Author’s Note: The part in italics are flash back scenes. Please bear with me. Leave comments about my writing. Thank you.