Chapter 10. Confessions and Wedding Bells

What Happens Next

Won got back from work and noticed something was off. He turned to the maid who came to welcome him, “Where’s my wife?”

“Samonim left a little while after you this morning. She said to give you this letter when you got back.” The maid presented him with the letter and walked out of his room.

Won sat on his bed and opened the letter. “Wonssi,” it read “I have decided to go and visit my parents for a few days. I’m not feeling very well and I thought I needed to get away to clear my head. Sorry I didn’t inform you before I left. I will be back soon, stay safe. Da-kyung.” Won read the letter three more times. It had been three days since the Christmas party and since he had kissed her. He had noticed that she had become jumpy around him, she couldn’t stay in the same room as him anymore. Won sighed deeply, ‘does she hate me again?’ he wondered to himself. “I shouldn’t have kissed her. This is bad.” He said. He lied back against his pillow and finally came to a decision. “This won’t do, I have to go and see her. I have to tell her how I feel, even if she hates me, I have to let her know. It can’t do any harm, right?”

Since it was only two days before Christmas day, he could take some time off work and go and spend Christmas with her family. He was overdue on a visit to his in-laws anyway. He started to pack his things when Tan came in.

“Hyung, where is Da-kyung noona? Are you going somewhere?”

“Eo, Da-kyung and I are spending Christmas at her parents’ home. She went before me because I still had to finish up some work at the office.” Won zipped up his bag and called his secretary. “I won’t be coming into work for the next few days, reschedule all my appointments and push all the work on hold till I get back. Tell the staff to take some time off till after Christmas.” He said and hung up.

“Hyung, are you leaving right now?”

“Why not?” Won carried his bag and made to leave the room.

“It’s late, you could go tomorrow morning.” Tan said and Won glanced at the clock, it was 10:45p.m. He hadn’t realized it was so late.

“Ah, I hadn’t realized. Did you need something?” Won said putting the bag back down on the bed.

Tan smiled behind his hyung’s back, if he didn’t know any better, he’d think his hyung missed his wife. “I wanted to buy a Christmas present for Eun-sang and I thought hyungsoo could give me a few ideas on what to get her.”

Won realized he hadn’t given Da-kyung a present for Christmas either. “How about we go to the mall tomorrow before I leave and go pick out a present together? I need to get something for Da-kyung too.” Tan agreed and left his brother’s room.

The following morning, Won was up earlier than normal; he could barely sleep last night from nerves. He went into Tan’s room and shook him.

“Ah wae?”

“Wake up Kim Tan. Weren’t we supposed to go somewhere today?”

“Hyung it’s barely eight. The malls probably aren’t open by now.” Tan replied and pulled the covers tighter around his body.

“What are you talking about? It’s the day before Christmas; there is probably a rush by now. Get up Kim Tan!”

Tan sighed and got out of bed, he shouldn’t have agreed to this. “Fine, I’m up. Happy? Give me a few minutes to clean up and then we’ll go. Have you had breakfast?’

“I’m not hungry.” Won said and hurried out of the room.

Tan sighed and then he started laughing, ‘how cute is my hyung?’ he thought to himself.

When they made it to the mall, there were people hurrying around doing their last minute shopping. Tan bought a necklace for Eun-sang and Won bought a pair of earrings for Da-kyung. Won bought new shoes for Da-kyung’s father and a coat for her mother, while Tan bought matching handbags for his mother and Hee-nam. When they were done shopping, Won dropped Tan off at a bus stop so he could catch a bus to Eun-sang’s house and he went on his way to Da-kyung’s parents’ home.

Tan got to Eun-sang’s house and noticed a strange car outside. He knocked at the door and Eun-sang answered. “Tanah!” she said and hugged him. She let him in and he saw Young-do sitting on the sofa with Hye-won’s little sister in his lap and Hye-won’s mother by his side.

“What is this?” he asked incredulously

“Annyeong Tanah.” Young-do smiled at him.

“Young-do decided to visit us this morning.” Ki-ae came to her son’s side and held his arm. “What is this?” she indicated the bags he was carrying.

Tan felt a little ashamed, he hadn’t gotten anything for Eun-sang’s friend and her family. He had totally forgotten they were staying with her. “Just some presents for Christmas.” He said. Hee-nam patted his shoulder and indicated that he sit down and he did.

“Eun-sang and I made breakfast, we hope you like it.” Hye-won said and left with Eun-sang to bring out the food.

While they were eating, Tan spoke. “Jueysonghamnida, I forgot that you were staying here and I didn’t get anything for you.” He said to Jin-ah.

“Ani, kwaenchana. Young-do already bought us a lot of things.” Jin-ah waved off his concern.

“Unni, you’re so lucky you know all these handsome oppas. Oppa, do you have a brother?” Hye-sook said to Tan.

“Ah mianhaeyo Agassi, my brother is already married.” Tan smiled at her.

 “What a waste.” Hye-sook scrunched up her nose and kept eating.

“Tanah, Young-do is taking us to the amusement park after breakfast, do you want to come along?” Eun-sang asked from beside him.

“Young-do?” Tan said.

“Kwaenchana, you can come along. The whole family is going. My mother is meeting us there.” Young-do said.

“Great, I can meet your mother then.” Jin-ah said.

They ate their food and chatted, everyone having a great time. After they were done eating, Tan called for his car to be brought so he could ride with Eun-sang, Hee-nam and Ki-ae and Young-do could ride with Hye-won, Hye-sook, Jin-ah and Ji-hoon.

 

Won arrived at the Yang household a little after noon. He knocked on the door and a maid opened up and welcomed him in. He walked into the living room and saw his wife’s parents sitting together discussing something.

“Anneoyonghaseyo omoni, abeonim.” He bowed to them both.

“Kim suhbang, welcome welcome.” Da-kyung’s mother said getting up to welcome him eagerly.

“You finally pay us a visit. But Da-kyung didn’t mention that you were coming.” Her father said.

“Jueysonghamnida, I’ve been so busy these past few months. I didn’t tell Da-kyungah that I was coming, it was supposed to be a surprise.”

“Ah geudae? No wonder she has been out of sorts lately, I guess she must have missed you a lot.” Her father said and laughed.

“Come come, I’ll show you to her room. She isn’t home right now, but she’ll be back soon. She went to buy some groceries from the market. I told her to let the maid do it but that girl always likes to go to the market herself. Here we are.” Her mother said and patted his shoulder and left him to go in.

Won walked into his wife’s room and smiled. It smelled just like her. Her bed was a little messy and there were flowerpots by the window which must have held beautiful flowers in spring but were empty now. Her desk was mostly clean except for a book that lay half open and a picture of her graduation. Her room was huge and he wondered if she cleaned it herself or if she let the maids clean it. He put his bag by her bed and looked around some more. There was a picture of her as a teenager with braces on her bedside table. “She looked so cute.” He laughed.

“Wonssi? What are you doing here? In my bedroom?” Da-kyung said. He turned to her, she was wearing a pair of black jeans and a green sweater that reached to her thighs. Her hair was up in a bun and her face looked flushed from the cold, her nose was red and her lips were redder, probably from constant biting to keep the cold away. He had to contain the urge to wrap his arms around her and kiss her.

“Surprise, merry Christmas.” He said.

When Da-kyung walked in the door, her mother had pulled her aside. “Da-kyungah, there’s someone here to see you.”

“Who is it?”

“You’ll know soon enough.” Her mother said and took the bag of groceries from her and went into the kitchen.

Da-kyung headed upstairs to change her clothes. She wondered what Won was doing at home. ‘Why am I thinking about him? I came here to clear my head, so why are thoughts of him coming back?’ she sighed to herself. When she got to her room, her door was slightly ajar. “What is this? I clearly remember closing it before I left. Omma must have told one of the maids to come and clean it.” She walked into her room and saw Won standing by her bed, laughing at a teenaged picture of her.  “Wonssi? What are you doing here? In my bedroom?” He turned to her and her heart skipped a beat. He was even more handsome than she remembered if that was possible.

“Surprise, merry Christmas.” He said to her.

“Are you the one omma said was looking for me?”

“Well, actually I came to visit your parents. I’ve been such a bad son-in-law, not dropping by since we got married seven months ago.” He said and put her picture back.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you I was leaving.” She said.

“It’s okay. What I want to know is why you needed to leave.” He said.

“I needed to sort some things out.” She said.

“Is this because I kissed you? I thought you said it wasn’t a big deal.” He said.

“No, not everything in my life is about you.” She snapped.

“Why are you being like this all of a sudden? If you want me to apologize for kissing you, then I’m sorry. You didn’t need to leave home okay.”

She sighed, what was wrong with her? “I’m sorry I snapped. Let me take your bag to the guest room.” She made to lift his bag but he stopped her.

“Don’t you think it would be strange if your parents find out we aren’t sleeping together?”

“But you can’t expect us to share a bed, there’s no sofa in my room.” Da-kyung said. She wasn’t really concerned about her parents finding out, she was actually feeling flustered at the thought that they would sleep together.

“I don’t mind if you don’t.” Won smiled at her.

“Wh-why would I mind? It’s fine, we are not hormonal teenagers.” She said.

“Just to put your mind at ease, I can build a pillow and blanket wall between us.”

“I said it’s fine, really. Did you eat yet?” she asked, trying to change the subject.

Won was enjoying teasing her and he didn’t even know it. “Not yet. Now that you mention it though, I realize I’m really hungry.”

She starts to leave the room and then turns back to him. “Why are you really here? Is it just to visit my parents or did you come to see me?”

“Does it really matter?”

Da-kyung looked down, she felt a little hurt. “I guess it doesn’t. Come down, I’ll make you something to eat.” She exited the room as fast as she could.

 

“Omma.” Young-do called out to his mother who was standing beside the gate of the amusement park.

“Young-doya.” She hugged him. “Who are these?”

“My name is Yoon Hye-won, this is my mother Kang Jin-ah, my sister Yoon Hye-sook and my brother Yoon Ji-hoon. It’s nice to meet you.” Hye-won bowed.

“Omma, this is Kim Tan’s mom Han Ki-aessi, Cha Eun-sang Tan’s girlfriend, her mother Park Hee-namssi and of course you know Tan already.” Young-do said and they all bowed.

“Omoni, have you been alright?” Tan asked,

“Ah yes, you’ve gotten more handsome and your girlfriend is very pretty.” She replied and Eun-sang blushed.

“Your son is such a charming boy, he must get it from you.” Jin-ah said and Young-do’s mom blushed and waved away the compliment.

“Ah, let’s go have fun and not stand around like a bunch of boring people.” They all went to ride the rides.

 

Hyo-shin and Rachel sat together on the sofa opposite Esther who watched them with sharp eyes.

“Omma, say something.” Rachel said.

“Are you pregnant?”

“Omma!”

“Omoni, it’s nothing like that. I really love Rachel and I don’t see why we need to wait any longer. I’m finishing my service soon and I would want us to get married as soon as possible.”

“What about your parents, what did they say?”

“Actually, we haven’t told them yet. We wanted to get your approval first. My parents aren’t difficult to deal with.” Hyo-shin said.

“Fine, let’s set up a date for the introductions to be made.” Esther said and started to leave.

“Omma, actually I would like it if we got married before sunbae goes back to the army.” Rachel said and held on to Hyo-shin’s hand while smiling at him.

“What?! Rachel, are you sure you aren’t pregnant? This is so sudden.”

“Omma, I really want to do this.”

“Fine, if it is what you both want we’ll do it your way. Just get your parents to approve and then we’ll pick a date.” Esther said to Hyo-shin and left the room.

Hyo-shin and Rachel held each other and giggled. “Are you happy?” he asked,

Her life was finally getting on track, she was marrying the man she loved and she was happy. Everything was finally falling into place. “Very happy.” She replied.

 

While Eun-sang, Hee-nam, Ki-ae and the children were having fun, Young-do and Tan went to get snacks and Hye-won was taking a break on a bench when Young-do’s mother joined her.

“Hye-wonah, are you and Young-do dating?”

“Aniyo omoni, we are just friends.”

“I can tell he likes you though. He has been very attentive towards you and your family since you got here.”

Hye-won blushed, “I’m sure he’s just being nice.”

“Hye-wonah, Young-do is a very special boy and I’m not saying this because he is my son. His father and I have given him a lot of pain and I will always feel sorry to him for that.”

“Omoni, I understand. Young-do has told me everything, but I think Young-do has managed to become a better person on his own, it has nothing to do with me at all.”

“So, you don’t like him?”

“Omoni,” Hye-won blushed again. The woman was so perceptive. “I have to admit he is very good-looking and maybe I like him a little bit, but we are still getting to know each other.”

“If you like him, I approve. I think you two would make an adorable couple. I like to see him take care of you, he smiles a lot when he does that.”

“What are you two talking about?” Young-do returned and handed a soft pretzel and a soda to Hye-won and one to his mother.

“Oh, just girl talk, you know.” She replied and patted Hye-won on the shoulder before she left them alone.

“Are you having a good time?” he asked sitting next to her.

“Yes, I’m just a little tired so I’m taking a break. Your mother is very nice. I like her.”

“You do, that’s good.”

“You’re very close with Tan, right? How was he when he started dating Eun-sang? I don’t those two have ever not loved each other.” She laughed watching Tan wipe Eun-sang’s face.

“Actually, those two have been through so much together. Some of it because of me.” Young-do said with a sigh.

Hye-won looked at him and saw he had a look of regret on his face. “Because of you?”

“Cha Eun-sang was my first love actually. She has always been in love with Tan, I think they must have loved each other since the first time they met. I gave her a hard time back then, my relationship with Tan was the worst. We didn’t speak to each other and we couldn’t be in the same room without coming to blows. We fought over a lot of things, said mean things to each other. I should have helped them out because they were facing a lot of opposition from Tan’s father and I picked on her a lot, I made her life hell because she chose Tan instead of me. I’m not a nice person Hye-wonah, I was a terrible human being.”

Hye-won was shocked, she didn’t think he was capable of such things. He seemed like such a nice person now. However, she figured since Tan and Eun-sang could forgive him and be friends with him again, he really must have changed.

“I understand if you’re a bit repulsed by me, I had no excuse to do what I did, my pain wasn’t a good enough reason. I shouldn’t have pushed them away when all they wanted was to mend fences with me.” He said.

“Young-doya, what’s past is past. What matters is who you are now. I’m sure they both understand that and they have moved on from it. You need to stop thinking about it and let it go. I admire that you have become a better person now. Everyone says it, Eun-sang and Bo-na wouldn’t shut up about it.” She laughed and sipped her drink.

Young-do smiled, he liked her laugh. “You have a beautiful laugh.” He said and she choked and spat out her drink. “Here, let me help you. Are you okay?” He wiped at her face with his handkerchief.

“I’m fine, I can do it myself.” Hye-won took the handkerchief from him and wiped her face by herself. She felt like a fool, why did she choke because he complimented her? Her heart raced when he touched her face. She made to return his handkerchief back to him but he pressed it into her hands.

“It’s fine, you can keep it.” He said and went to join the others who were queuing up to ride their last ride of the day.

 

Won and Da-kyung lay side by side in bed, a wall of pillows and blanket between them so high they couldn’t see over it.

“Are you asleep?” Won asked,

“No, not yet.” She replied.

“I just wanted to see you. I didn’t want to stay in the house alone in case it got too quiet again.” He finally said after a long pause.

“Wonssi, what-what does that mean? You said it the other time too, that the house got quiet.”

Won smiled, how could she not know what that means? Was she that naïve? “It means when you’re there the house gets really noisy. What else would it mean?”

Da-kyung scowled at his face through the wall. “When do you plan on going back home?” she asked,

“Why do you ask?”

“No reason, just curious.”

“The day after Christmas.”

“Oh.”

“I hope that is enough time to clear your head and figure out everything you need to. Good night.” He turned his back towards the wall and there was silence between them.

“Wonssi?”

“Hmm?”

“Merry Christmas.” Da-kyung said and turned her back to the wall.

 

10:30 am Christmas Morning at the Kim Household

Tan had invited his friends over to his house for Christmas, no one was home and he didn’t want to spend it alone. Eun-sang had spent the night and they had woken up early to make brunch for their guests. Eun-sang had convinced him to give all the maids the day off so they could g home to their families. “Would you want to spend Christmas working?” she had asked him, so he had agreed.

Bo-na and Chan-young sat next to each other, Hyo-shin sat next to Rachel and Young-do was just arriving with Hye-won in tow.

“Why are you two arriving together?” Rachel asked,

“I picked her up from home. That is a big rock sister.” Young-do said and ruffled her hair.

“Young-do, you do realize I am not your actual kid sister, right? You cannot touch my head.” Rachel said and straightened her hair back in place.

“Aigoo, so cute.” Hyo-shin said and ruffled her hair again.

“Ahh Oppa!” Rachel smacked his hand away.

“Sickening, very sickening.” Bo-na commented.

Hye-won excused herself and went into the kitchen to help Eun-sang out.

“Shoo, you’re our guest. Go back to the living room.” Eun-sang waved her out.

“‘Our guest?’ You two aren’t even married yet, what are you talking about ‘our guest’?” Hye-won grumbled as she walked out of the kitchen.

“Everybody, brunch is served!” Tan announced and they all came to the table.

“Please enjoy, we worked hard.” Eun-sang said.

“I even got a burn.” Tan replied and Eun-sang patted his arm.

“Merry Christmas.” Everyone chorused.

“We have news,” Hyo-shin said while they ate, “We’re getting married next week.”

“Are you pregnant?” Bo-na asked,

“No, why does everyone keep asking that? I just want to marry the man I love.” Rachel said exasperatedly.

“Don’t get mad, you’ll upset the baby.” Hyo-shin teased.

“We’re getting married the day after new year. It’s going to be a small and private ceremony just family and friends. We want to do it before Hyo-shin oppa goes back to the army.”

“Tan, Young-do and Chan-young, I’d like you three to stand up with me that day.” Hyo-shin said and they nodded vigorously.

“That means Eun-sang, Bo-na and Hye-won are going to be my bridesmaids.”

“But I barely know you.” Hye-won said.

“It doesn’t matter; you’re one of us now I can’t just leave you out.” Rachel replied.

“And I thought you hated me.” Bo-na said.

“Ah fine, none of you will be my bridesmaids.” Rachel threw her hands up in the air.

“I’m kidding, I’d loved to be your bridesmaid, if only for sunbae’s sake.” Bo-na laughed.

“Chukahae Yoo Rachel and Lee Hyo-shin sunbae.” Eun-sang said and everyone applauded the couple.

 

11:00 am Christmas morning at the Yang household  

“Kim suhbang, eat a lot.” Da-kyung’s mother said and put a large helping of food on Won’s plate.

“Kamsahmnida omoni. Where is Da-kyung? She left so early this morning I didn’t get to see her.” He asked.

“She said she needed to get something at the mall. We’ll just start without her; she called to say she’ll join us shortly. Don’t worry and eat your food.” She replied and sat down to eat.

Just as they were about to start eating, Da-kyung walked in carrying three shopping bags. “Merry Christmas everybody, sorry I’m late.” She said cheerily. Won wondered what she was so happy about. Da-kyung dropped the bags in the living room and came to sit at the table next to Won. “Omma, this looks good. Chalmeokwosimnida.” She said and put a helping of food on her plate. “Wonssi, eat well okay.” She smiled at him.

Da-kyung had forgotten to get Won and her parents Christmas presents, so she woke up early to get to the mall so she could beat the rush. She was lucky that she arrived just as the stores were opening so she was among the first customers. She picked out a scarf for her mother and a pair f cufflinks for her father, but she didn’t know what to get for Won. She walked through the mall thinking of what to buy when she remembered how handsome Won had looked in the cashmere sweater he wore the other day. She made for a store and bought him a blue one. “This would look good on him.” She was going to the cashier, when someone called her name.

“Da-kyungah?”

She turned to see who it was and stopped, shocked. “Oppa.”

“It is you.” He smiled at her.

“Oppa, what-what…?” she stuttered. He was still so handsome; she looked at him head-to-toe, still s handsome.

“Merry Christmas.” He said, still smiling.

“Thank you and you too.” She finally found her voice.

“Do you want to go and sit down and talk somewhere?” he asked,

“Neh, just let me pay for this first.” She indicated the sweater she was holding and he nodded.

“I’ll wait for you over by the food court.” He said and left.

Da-kyung paid and left the store as quick as possible. She was finally seeing Ji-hwan oppa again, her heart raced. She made her way to the food court and saw him sitting at a table. He waved at her and smiled and she waved back at him and smiled.

“Da-kyungah, it’s been so long.” He said as she sat opposite him.

“It has indeed. How have you been oppa?”

“How do you think I’ve been?” he asked,

“I’m sorry oppa. I’m sorry I broke your heart like that.” She replied, she really felt sorry.

“It’s not like you could have refused your father’s request, I know you love him very much. You always said your father was the man you loved the most in the world and that you would do anything for him. I always knew we had to break up at some point.”

“Oppa I…” she started but he interrupted her,

“What kind of man is your husband? Is he good to you?”

“Wonssi is a very kind and caring man. He takes good care of me.” She replied immediately and Ji-hwan looked a little sad.

“I was hoping I still had a chance, but it seems someone else already has your heart.” He said with a sad smile.

“Oppa, what are you talking about?”

“Da-kyungah, I saw you back there long before I called out to you. I saw the way you held that sweater, I saw the look in your eyes.”

“Oppa.” She said, she didn’t know what to say to him.

Ji-hwan got up and smiled at her, “I have to get going now, I still have lots of shopping to do. Merry Christmas. I wish you all the happiness and if your husband ever treats you badly, you let this Oppa know and I’ll break his legs for you. Okay?” he patted her head the way he used to do when they were in college and went away.

Da-kyung sat for a while and thought. She finally realized why she was so confused, “I’m in love with my husband.” She declared out loud. She knew she had to fight for him, she had to find a way to make their marriage last beyond the stipulated three years on their contract. She had to find a way to make him love her. She knew he already liked her but she didn’t know if he liked her enough to want to stay married to her. She was going to fight for him. She got up with renewed purpose, grabbed her bags and made her way home.

After breakfast, they all sat together in the living room to open presents.

“Kim suhbang, this coat is so lovely.” Da-kyung’s mother wore her present and twirled around to show her daughter.

“It’s nothing omoni, you look beautiful.”

“We didn’t get you anything.” Her father said gently.

“Kwaenchanayo abeonim, this atmosphere is the best gift I’ve ever gotten. Kamsahmnida abeonim, omoni.” He smiled.

“Appa, this is for you.” Da-kyung presented her father with his gift and he hugged her in return. “Omma, this is for you, it’ll go great with the coat Wonssi gave you.” She said to her mother.

“I love it.” Her mother said.

“Wonssi, this is for you.” She handed over his gift and he beamed at her.

He opened it and held out the sweater in front of him.

“Try it on.” Her mother said and he obliged her. “Aigoo, so handsome. Blue is such a good colour for you. Da-kyung has such a good eye.”

“Thank you Da-kyungssi.” He smiled and her heart fluttered. “This is for you.”

Da-kyung opened her gift and felt tears well up in her eyes, the earrings were absolutely beautiful. “I love them.” She whispered, “Thank you.”

Won didn’t think he had ever seen that look on her face, that look of deep gratitude. He had never heard her voice go so soft; he had never seen her eyes fill with tears. He felt very happy and very satisfied.

 

Author’s Note: Annyeonghaseyo yeorobun. I hope everyone is doing well? I’ve been feeling a little lost lately so if this chapter seems a bit helter-skelter forgive me. It’s all coming to a point I promise, I’m trying to find a way to get there and make the ride enjoyable at the same time. Thank you for reading and subscribing and please leave more comments. I want to know what you liked and didn’t like about the story. Kamsahmnida.