Chapter 1. The Price of The Crown

What Happens Next

The final exams of the seniors of Jeguk High was finally over, they looked forward to their vacation. Tan, Eun-sang, Chan-young and Bo-na are at Myung-soo's workshop. "Tan, how is the planning for your brother's wedding coming along?" Chan-young asked. He and Bo-na sat on the sofa, cuddling one another. Tan let out a loud sigh. He and Eun-sang sat on opposite sides of the table. "It's going. Da-kyung noona has started sending out invitations, I think your father should get one soon." He replied. No one else in the room knew how unhappy his brother had been ever since he and his girlfriend, Hyun-joo broke up last year. His brother was always sullen and never smiled. He wished he could bring back his brother's happiness. They had begun to mend the broken bridges that the battle for Jeguk had caused and they were finally in a good place. "When is the wedding going to hold?" Chan-young asked again, Bo-na's hair. "Next saturday. You all need to show up because I'm going to be a groomsman." Tan replied, he didn't tell them that the real reason was because he needed all the support of his friends for his brother's sake. "Tan and I need to go dress shopping. Da-kyung unni doesn't have any friends, so she requested that I be her bridesmaid." Eun-sang said as she got up. "Aish, do I have to go with you? Isn't that something you should do with Lee Bo-na?" Tan complained. She whispered something in his ear and he smiled immediately. He jumped up from where he was sitting and grabbed his girlfriend's hand. "See you later." He waved to his friends and pulled her along.

He drove her to a boutique in the Gangnam district and they head into the store. It is a very up-scale and high-end boutique and Eun-sang gasps immediately they walk in. "I can't afford anything in this store. Let's go somewhere else." She said and turned towards the door. Tan held her hand and pulled her back. "Don't worry, I'll pay." He said. "What? I can't allow you to do that." She replied. "Why not? I'm your boyfriend after all." He said. "But..." She started. "If you complain, I'm going to kiss you right here." He said mischievously and Eun-sang smacked him on his hand. "Fine. I won't complain." "Good, I'm going to sit over there and wait for you. Just pick any dress you like." He said pointing to a sofa opposite the changing room. Eun-sang walked up to an attendant, "Excuse me, I need a dress. I'm going to be a bridesmaid. I need something that is classy and beautiful but won't upstage the bride." She said and the attendant told her to follow her. She pulled three dresses, a cream lace calf-length halter dress, a blue floor-length satin dress and a purple knee-length chiffon dress. Eun-sang took the dresses and went into the changing room to change. She tried them and finally picked the lace one. Tan and Eun-sang head to the cashier and he keeps pestering her to let him see the dress but she refuses. "You'll see it when I wear it." She said and he pouted. "Please?" He said while handing his card to the cashier. "No. Tan, be patient." She said and collected the bag. They got into the car. "Cha Eun-sang, you promised me something if I come shopping with you, I'm waiting." Eun-sang placed her hands on both sides of his face and kissed him. "Don't you need shoes?" He asked and she smacks him. "Let's go." She said. "Why do you always hit me? Has anyone ever told you you have a violent temper?" He said as he started the engine.

Da-kyung sat in her bedroom inspecting the invitation card she was going to have to send out today. She was sad. She had to break up with her boyfriend because she was going to marry the cold and unfeeling Kim Won. What did he do that was so great anyway that he would treat her so coldly. She thought to herself. It wasn't her fault that he couldn't fight for his woman. Why couldn't he at least be nice to her, they were in this boat together. When she was dating her boyfriend Ji-hwan, she knew she wouldn't be able to marry him anyway and told him so many times. They had agreed to go as far as they could. She missed him, she wished her destiny was different but it wasn't. Her father wanted her to marry Won and that was who she would marry. After all, that was the price she had to pay for her crown. Her mother came into her room carrying her daughter's wedding dress. "Da-kyungah, the dress is so lovely." Her mother said and Da-kyung sighed again. She didn't care what the dress looked like, she just wanted to get this wedding over with. She planned on meeting Kim Won later and laying down some ground rules between the both of them. She got up from her bed and picked up the invitation cards. "Omma, mianhae. I can't stay and chat right now, I need to send out these cards and place a call to the wedding planner." Her mother understood. She noticed her daughter looking sad these days, she knew about the poor boyfriend and she felt sorry for her. She knew it was hard for Da-kyung to talk about the wedding so she decided to leave her alone. "Arasso. I'll just leave the dress here and you can check it out later." "Komawo omma. Cham, I'm going out for a little bit later tonight, so if Appa asks, let him know." "Oediga?" "I'm going to meet President Kim." "Oh okay, I'll let him know. Will you be having dinner with him?" "Neh. I might be a little late, so don't wait up for me." Her mother got up and left her daughter alone. Da-kyung picked up her phone and called the planner, after discussing some issues she had with the cake, she hung up. She then filled out the names into the cards and began to stuff them into envelopes, all the while trying not to burst into tears.

Won sat at a restaurant and waited for Da-kyung. He glanced at his watch and scoffed. She was already twenty minutes late. When she arrived, she sat opposite him. "You aren't going to apologize for keeping me waiting?" he asked, "Do we have that kind of relationship?" She replied. "It is simple manners Da-kyungssi." "I'm sorry. Listen I came here to say a few things to you and I would like you to at least pretend to listen so we can end this quickly." He tilted his head while she continued. "I know you don't like me, and I certainly do not like you, so this is how it's going to work. When we get married, we do not become interested in whatever the other person does. I won't ask you about your life if you don't offer to tell me. I don't care what your favourite food is or your favourite colour or what perfume you use. We do not share the same bed or the same room. You do not ask me about my work or my life. You are free to fall in love with whoever you want but please keep it a secret. The whole world knows we are getting married, so please don't let them suspect that we hate each other. After three years, I will give you a divorce and we will never have to see each other again." Won looked surprised and a little disgusted, "Is that all you came here to say?" "Yes, that is all. I have to leave now, I have some things to attend to. If you like, you can ask your lawyer to draw up a contract listing all the terms I've mentioned and we can sign it on the wedding day." She picked up her purse and walked out the door. Won shook his head. He really did not like that Da-kyung. He missed Hyun-joo so much. He wished he had been braver like Tan, he wished he had held on to her, fought harder for her. He wished he had told her he loved her, but he didn't and so he lost her. It wasn't fair that he had to be stuck with a shrew like Da-kyung but his father wanted him to marry her, and that's what he would do. It was the price of the crown he wanted to wear.

Author's note: I want to thank everyone who read my story. This is the first post and more will come soon. I wanted to show what I assume to be Da-kyung's pain since the drama only showed Won's side. Da-kyung doesn't want to marry Won, in the drama, she is shown as an uncaring character but I wanted to show that she was also affected by their family's decision. Hopefully, everyone can leave me comments and let me know what they think.