Chapter 7: Your Face Shows It All

Safekeeping

Chapter 7: Your Face Shows It All

Yixing ♥♥ | Via Tumblr

curlyline.gif

 

        He growled under his breath as the bright sunlight broke through the windows, shooting straight on his face. Once he opened his arms, he could only stare at the close-eyed you who lay right beside him over the bed. He sighed in relief as there was still a reasonable amount of distance between the two of you, but he could not believe how you and him had ever allowed each other to fall asleep like this. His head fell blank suddenly - what time is it?


        Swiftly rolling up from the bed, no longer feeling any pain over his bandaged arm, he grabbed his phone and looked at the screen. 8:12. Oh no...turning in panic as he heard you groan tiredly when rising from the pillow, he stood like a rock, staring motionlessly at you, watching you stretch and move your body, until you finally noticed his eyes. "It's past eight already...we're late."

celtic-knot-band-tattoo-design.png
 
        You squeezed Luhan's arm tightly the whole way long even while running completely out of breath, as you forbade him to have the slightest thought of turning for a faster run. Changing was after all, forbidden when not necessary, especially in daylight, for turning too often would lead to one's body wanting more to switch from human to wolf form. Thus, their presences might as well be more easily detected by the hunters roaming everywhere these days.

        "How late are we..." Luhan managed to stutter between his heavy breaths, hurrying his paste while swinging his backpack higher over his shoulder. You shook your head in a hasty manner, barely able to speak. "More than half an hour already!" What kind of pretext were you about to make up to the professor? Your head rumbled madly, as Luhan tugged at your arm another time, asking that you run faster after him.

        "Sorry...Sorry!" You pushed inside the classroom door without any further thoughts, halting all too suddenly when Luhan behind you came slamming right over your back, almost causing both of you to stumble. In panic, you struggled to regain your balance, expecting to see an enraged expression on the teacher's face when lifting your head. However, you looked up only to see an empty desk and a class full of students staring at your way. Your mouth that had already dropped open to apologize remained gaped, as the expressions of all your friends varied. "You're late, class president." Suho muttered darkly in his seat, sending you a warning look. You sighed and dropped your head, "The professor?"

        "Gone for now," he answered flatly, "he went to a meeting and left this period as a study block. Count yourselves lucky and get into your seats, cause he might return any minute now." Though his words weren't harsh, they were enough to make you speed away immediately to the desk which you belonged in, forgetting completely that the vice president had no right to order the president in such a way. You barely heard the mumbling and giggles going around the room, while eyes lingered over you, and also over Luhan who took way longer to get to his seat beside Minhye. Of course, you forgot once more, how could he ever take his eyes off of your best friend?  

        You avoided Kai's mischievous smirk, while Sehun could no longer focus on his textbook before turning quickly to face you. "He's only been new for a day, and already he's made you late for school for the first time? Gosh, I think I am just starting to love this Luhan more and more..."

        Your eyes widened threateningly at him, sending him jerking back to his original position before you even needed to reply. D.O and Xiumin giggled girlishly from not far away, making you flip your head quickly, also at once causing them to turn back to their notebooks, pretending once more to concentrate. Only, Kai could never be scared of you. Lightly tugging at your arm, he began to smile teasingly, "What was that all about?"

        "Nothing!" You kept your voice as low as possible, "We just overslept..."

        "We?" Kai caught the word he wanted most, "We as in you and him overslept, together?"

        "Seriously!" your voice raised reservedly, yet your hand did not show any mercy when you hit him on the arm, not expecting it to be as hard as it turned out to be. And with the slight pain following, out came a scream from Kai's mouth that was loud enough for all in the room to hear, and now even the teacher who happened to have just entered the classroom. "God Celeste!"

        "Excuse me Mister Kim?" the man raised a brow dourly at his direction.

        Immediately sitting upright, Kai shook his head."The class president was just teaching me a lesson as she always has Mister. All's good now." Robotically, he took his pen and began scribbling words on his notebook. You who remained tensed beside him couldn't even help but smile after him. Despite the boy he still was, he would always be your boy who protects you and stays on your side...
 
celtic-knot-band-tattoo-design.png
 
        "I still can't believe it," you shook your head another time, your repetition even causing the quiet Minhye to laugh, "What?" she questioned playfully, before you gave her back a "you know it" look. "Kai gave up soccer to play badminton with you? He's always valued times with the guys so much, but now he would give it up for you..."

        "Stop," she interrupted lightly, knowing clearly what you were about to say, "and shouldn't I be saying the same for you? Our class president, our biggest role model, was late this morning with a new pupil whom you met for no more than a day." Her questioning eyes made you give a smile to hide your nervous thoughts, avoiding her gaze. "I may not show my curiosity but I know there is a reason Celeste. But as a good friend, I won't force it out of you."

        "As a best friend," you corrected quickly, casually hanging your arm around hers as you faked a care-free expression, "and as a best friend, I will trust you. Luhan and I just discovered that we live quite near each other. I agreed to go over to his place to help him catch up with the lessons he has missed before he came to our school, and we simply just over studied, then overslept."  You made your story sound as convincing as possible, but you couldn't tell from Minhye's plain expression if she believed it or not. Either way, she gave no more questions on the way towards the soccer field. Kai was quick to spot her and her away to the badminton nets where they began their very own game. That had only made you sigh blissfully upon seeing them so fit for one another, as Tao and Xiumin in their athletic uniforms soon began to cry your name impatiently, urging you to join.
 
celtic-knot-band-tattoo-design.png
 

        "You're not doing good as your usual days," Lay's voice popped suddenly from behind as you stood breathing heavily after having missed another shot at the goal. The other team of your friends were busy hugging and cheering each other. Amongst them there was not only Sehun, Suho, Tao, and D.O, but also Luhan. His smile remained reserved and soft as his team mates came around to embrace him and pat his shoulder over the good player that he was. Your eyes subconsciously lingered over him for a while, as you forgot completely of Lay who now stood silently beside you. "He interest you doesn't he?" his sudden words made you glance quickly upon him with wide eyes. "No, of course not. I've met people like him my whole life." You watched Lay look away with an unconvinced expression, "It's really all right Celeste...Luhan is a nice person. Everyone likes him very much so far. Suho has complimented him on his work, Tao and Xiumin couldn't stop chattering about how good he is at soccer, little Sehun seems to like him a great deal...gotta admit I'm even quite fond of him myself."


        You hesitated to answer as you returned a plain look back at him, hearing your own team mates, Baekhyun and Xiumin wave at you, calling for a break. This was no serious match, yet it had definitely done its work on bringing Luhan up the first step of developing his friendship with your small circle of buddies. Perhaps this kind of friendship may also come to be his protection, maybe even disguise...no one would notice his difference or what he truly is. You sighed in frustration once more when you noticed a straight-eyed Luhan, staring his way across the field towards Minhye by the badminton nets. She chuckled softly over one of Kai's typical joke whilst he handed her a bottle of water, his fingers away the strands of spare hair in her face which are now becoming sweaty after their small game. How could one not be envious of such closeness over two people who seem so perfect for each other? "Look there," you eyed Lay towards Luhan, then towards your two best friends standing before each other closely, "it's been going on like this since he's arrived. He can't take his eyes off of her."


        "And it displeases you?" Lay asked tentatively, not expecting you to nod. "Yes. No one likes my best friend without my permission." Your stern words made even the serious-faced him burst out in laughter, "And I'm assuming Kai has your permission?" He looked to you curiously when seeing you nod again, "I've known Kai long enough to know how much he really cares about Minhye. But this Luhan he...." you stopped suddenly, swiftly turning your mind to make up another lie, "he came from nowhere, how can I even trust her with him?" You bit your lower lip, your face clearly showing your dissatisfaction. Lay could only move a step closer to you, his expression suddenly becoming unreadable when you decided to turn back at him. "What is it Lay?" you muttered in your gentlest manner.


         "You don't really care about him being good enough for Minhye do you?" his sudden question made you frown in bewilderment, "I cannot read your thoughts Celeste, but I know you enough to see why you are truly unhappy, your face shows it all...since what happened last night, whatever affiliations you have with Luhan that made you late this morning, you dislike his attention on another, no matter if it is Minhye, your best friend or not. You cannot even concentrate on the game...haven't you always been good at soccer even amongst the guys? Yet today, you have barely made it to the goal once..."


        "Lay," you tried to interrupt him as calmly as possible to not seem suspicious, "trust me, you know me, it's not like that with him..."


        "No matter if it is or it not, you do want his attention," he answered firmly with determination, approaching you even further as you suddenly found him so close before you, "maybe this will do." He lay a hand over your arm, feeling how rigid you were as you were too confused to even question. His fingers squeezed your shoulders to lighten its tenseness. You nearly flinched when he unexpectedly moved closer and closer, his lips now but an inch away from you mouth. You trusted that from a certain angle, it would look no more like you and Lay were kissing. His eyes locked with yours for what seemed like forever, while you stared, too stunned to utter a word or even blink. There was so much in his gaze that you felt like you could read yet could not explain, as he gave a small shiver before you. He needed only move slightly to truly bring his lips upon yours, yet at last, he moved.


        When Lay finally leaned back, his expression returning to its lightless mode, as he gave no more hints on how he felt. Quickly eyeing Luhan's direction once more, he whispered dully, "It is done." You turned perplexedly to face Luhan's astounded expression, his eyes staring blankly at your direction, no longer remembering the girl he was just gazing upon for so long. And when you ce more, Lay had already stepped away far you, silently leaving the field as he gave not a single glance back at your direction.