Vending Machine

Just leave it all up to Fate

The heat wave was on full blast. After a long day of soccer practice, Minho’s throat was dry as a bone from thirst. The heat was suffocating him. He had to find a vending machine, fast. After scanning the area, he found one just around the street. His eyes were getting blurry from the sweat trickling down from his forehead. He took the first bill he saw, rammed it in and pressed the button for an orange juice. He forgot all about his thirst when he realized what he’d just given up. Inside the machine, the gears were eating his 1000 won up, the same bill he had written on. He did everything he could to get it back, like press the eject button repeatedly, but nothing worked. Minho kicked and punched the darned machine in nuisance.

            “How could I be so stupid!” He cursed himself.

            “There, there, Minho.” Onew consoled him.

            “You know, money from vending machines usually takes a long time to be taken out. Who knows, your machine could be taken out in a few more weeks. September would end by then.”

            “You think so?” Minho looked up with his eyes full of hope.

            “Or… by some weird chances of fate, it could be taken out and distributed tomorrow, or worse, right at this moment.” Onew added in a serious tone. The glimmer in Minho’s eyes vanished.

            “Thanks a lot.”

            “You’re welcome! Don’t worry! Everything’s gonna be alright!” Onew cheered and left him sitting alone on the couch. Minho sighed deeply. He knew everything wouldn’t be fine in the end and readied himself to suffer the consequences. Although, a small part inside of him was glad he got rid of the bill. The hands of fate might just work on him at the perfect time.