1000 Won

Just leave it all up to Fate

He stared at the blank white ceiling with his legs dangling from the maroon couch.

            “Minho! Would you mind scooting? I can’t sit with your gigantic body sprawled on the couch now, can I?”

            He sat up and ruffled his hair. Changmin sat down beside him.

            “Bored? Let’s play video games!”

            “I’d have to pass on that. I’m not in the mood.” Minho shrugged his idea off, stood up and left Changmin alone.

            Truth be told, something was bothering him, something that he couldn’t talk about in front of his hyungs. He was Minho, the strong, cold, athletic and charismatic prince. His dilemma could ruin his reputation.

            “You left your wallet here! Finders keepers?” Changmin called with a sly grin on his face.

            “Hey! Give me that!” Minho ran back to him. Changmin was beginning to take all his money out from his leather wallet. Minho managed to grab a 1000 won. The other gave up and threw the wallet to its rightful owner.

            “Boring. Minho, your boredom is contagious. Please get out.”

            “Shut up, Changmin.” Minho said while stuffing the bill in his back pocket.

            “I should call my girlfriend. Speaking of girlfriends… Minho, you don’t have anyone special right now, yeah?”

            “Uh… no.”

Bull’s eye. Changim hit the spot pretty hard with a simple yes or no question. Minho felt his façade slowly crashing down. He must find a loophole now or suffer the wrath of Changmin’s endless taunting.

“Hey guys, listen to this!”

The two turned their heads towards the direction of the voice. It was the first time he spoke in hours. Onew lifted his head from his laptop and announced.

“There’s this ten year old boy who threw a message in a bottle from Oregon. He thought it sank and crashed so he hadn’t given it much thought but after a year, a nine year old girl from Hawaii found it by the seashore!”

Minho and Changmin both had their mouths wide open. Minho was caught off guard and started to smile at the story. How he wished he’d have the same fate too. When he looked at Changmin, his smile faded. The other had his twisted smile on again.

“Adorable story, right Minho?”  Changmin jeered.

“Uh, yeah. It’s nice.” Minho looked away, not showing any signs of interest.

“Wow, fate is amazing.” Onew gazed back at his laptop and scribbled on his notebook. Changmin dived and grabbed the pen from Onew’s hand.

“HEY! I was using that!”

“Shush! Hey, Minho!”

Changmin said while shoving the pen in Minho’s face and his hand made a lunge on Minho’s back pocket.

“What the hell are you doing?!”

“Shut up! I’m not gonna molest you, not in a million years! Ah, here!” Changmin triumphantly lifted the 1000 won above his head. Minho massaged his temples. Here goes Changmin’s “awesome” ideas again.

“The Great Changmin has found a solution to your boredom!” Changmin lifted his chin. He liked the ring of his name with that stock epithet. Onew’s ears perked up.

“Okay, let’s hear it. What shall it be this time?” Onew slid the laptop off his lap and sat down on the couch.

“Okay, so Minho’s pretty available right now and well, he seems lonely. Don’t you think so too, Onew?” Changmin explained.

“True, true…”

“Minho! I command you to write on this bill. It’s the closest thing we’ve got to a message in a bottle.”

“I’m not that desperate!” Minho scowled.

“Just do as I say! Who knows, this might lead you to the right person.” Changmin assured.

“He’s right. We’ll never know unless you try.” Onew added.

Minho gave up and grabbed the bill from Changmin and occupied Onew’s desk.

 

“I can’t believe I’m doing this…” He said under his breath.

He laid the bill down and started to point the pen yet it stood in that position for a long time.

“We’re waiting.” Changmin and Onew said from behind.

“Get away, you two!”

“Have nothing to write? It’s okay, we’re here to help!” Changmin said.

“Just write a place, a date, and something that you’ll bring for that person to recognize you.” Onew chimed in.

“Alright, alright, just let me be!” Minho screamed in frustration.

“Jeez, Mr. Flaming Charisma. There’s no need for your super saiyan here.” Onew said as he dragged Changmin to the couch.

 

‘Okay… a place, a date and something that I’ll bring…’

He was about to write park when he scratched the idea off his head.

            ‘That’s too common. Oh, what about a playground? Which one? Do I have to say that too?’

‘Now for the date… I could be as vague as I can, right? I should just say a specific month and let the other do the guessing. Let’s test if we have the same day in mind. About the object, roses are a bit too cliché...’

His eyes wandered around the room for any trace of flowers. How stupid he thought himself to be. How could a flat shared by guys have bountiful floras around? Just then he caught a glimpse of a bundle of banana on top of their kitchen counter.

‘That’s it! Something… yellow. A daisy perhaps? A bouquet of daisies!’

He scribbled madly on his money and leveled it to his eyes. Damn, he should’ve at least written neatly. Just then, a hand grabbed the bill from his.

“The hell? Is your handwriting this ugly?” Changmin teased.

“Let’s read it!” Onew hummed.

[놀이터에서만나요

당신은어느하나를알수있습니다

9월

오전9시]

“Meet me at the playground. You’ll know which one. September... 9 AM… What the hell is this? A bouquet of daisies? Only a fool would follow this!” Changmin said.

“Good luck, Minho. You’ll need it. Lots and lots of it.” Onew patted his back.

Minho stuffed the bill back to his wallet. He never had the intention of giving it out to anyone. Money is, after all, one of the things that go around a lot from one person to the other. It circulates as fast as blood. He was determined to make the 1000 won his forever. Minho planned to shove it to Changmin’s face on his wedding day in the future and reveal how he had the worse ideas ever.

That was until one day, he paid the bill by mistake. His life was about to take a huge turn for the better… or worse.

 

-------------------------------------------

A/N:

The news Onew had just shared is real, btw!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/hawaii-girl-finds-message_n_915649.html

It's too sweet. I can imagine what'll happen when the two kids grow up :))

Watch out for Taemin's appearance, okay? :D