two

send-off

 

 


Junsu had to continue his therapy here in Korea and of course, as a good boyfriend, I accompany him every session. He’s doing better each time and I couldn’t be any more proud of him. He wants to get better, I know he does. He told me so. And he’s pretty much determined to fight the motherer (Junsu’s word, not mine) that is Lou Gehrig.

"Raise your arms." instructed Doctor Moon to Junsu as he examined his arms. Junsu did, for approximately two seconds before both his arms dropped limply on his lap. He tried one more time but only failed ever so miserably. "You've lost a lot of muscle." Doctor Moon said. "Try using your hands more often, hmm."

I did all I could to help Junsu. We would play rock paper scissors on the staircase in the fire exit to get his legs some exercise. He could barely walk on his own. Without his crutches, he would drop on the floor as soon as he takes a step. Also, Junsu started to knit. Just the thought of it makes me giggle like a highschool girl. I never pegged Junsu as the artsy fartsy type. He just doesn't have the patience. But here he was, knitting a what I think is supposed to be a scarf.

"Getting better?"

Junsu glanced at me and smiled. "Hmm. But you're distracting me."

"Oh really?" I took a seat on his bed, resting my head on his shoulder. "How so?"

"By being there... just there. You're very nice to me. Although I forced you in--"

"I agreed, Junsu. You didn't even have to force me."

"I begged, though."

"That, you did but still... can we not talk about this please?" I poked his hand with a finger and pressed a soft kiss on his cheek.

We have no problem with intimacy at all. During the month that we've been together, we have grown closer than ever. We share kisses here and there, we even make love when we're sure that no nurses or doctor would barge in his room. Yes, we have done the deed. Contrary to what others think, Junsu can still get it up. He can't take it up the though so it's me who bottoms.

The door of his hospital room slid open and there stood Doctor Moon, smiling. "May I have a word with you, Yoochun?"

I looked at Junsu who pecked my lips and nodded. "Go. I'll be fine here."

"You sure?"

"Don't be silly. Doctor Moon's waiting for you."

Reluctantly, I left Junsu's side to join the doctor for a cup of coffee at the rooftop. I'm not going to lie, my heart is pounding so hard. I don't know why he wanted to talk to me, but I know it's about Junsu and it scares me. He must have felt my nervousness as he reached out to pat my arm gently, as if encouraging me to be strong.

"He's knitting very well." I don't know why I told him. I just did. I guess it's to inform him that he's doing a little better with all those hand exercises.

He acknowledged my statement with a hum. "As I said, he lost a lot of muscle. But that's good. Using his hands frequently would delay its effects." I took a sip of my coffee and nodded in understanding. Good thing he gives me a often. But doctor doesn't need to know that. "The thing about Lou Gehrig's is that everyday is different. Say, are you rich?"

"No."

"Are your parents rich?"

"Not that much."

"Then you should get discharged. You can come in once a month for a check up. It's a long term fight, Yoochun. People die because they have no money, not their illness."





It had been three months since Junsu was discharged from the hospital. He moved in with me and gets frequent visits from his parents, sometimes his brother Junho and other times, Jaejoong and Yunho.

We still go to his monthly check-ups and so far, he's doing pretty good. Nothing much has changed except, we've been making love almost every other day. Hey, his needs some exercise too, okay!

"Ready now?" I watched as he wheeled himself towards me. Last month, the doctor advised him to give up the crutches and start using a wheelchair because apparently, his legs are getting weaker and frankly, it's hopeless. Damn doctor doesn't like to sugarcoat, you see.

Junsu flashed me his million dollar smile and reached his arms out. I chuckled, kneeling in front of him and then cupped his cheeks to give him a passionate kiss. "Never been ready." he mumbled as I pulled away, caressing his spit slick lips with my thumb.

"Your brother's on his way. Jaejoong and Yunho are already there. You sure you're fine with your parents not being present?"

"I told you, I am. Let's go Yoochunah. I can't wait."

With a chuckle, I stood behind him, pushed his wheelchair and made our way to the nearby chapel. Yes, we are finally getting married and we have our friends and Junsu's brother as witnesses. The funny thing is, neither of us proposed. We just decided that we wanted to get married and we have to as soon as possible, even if it means we'll be the only ones present at our wedding. Well, Junsu wouldn't mind but I would. I didn't want us to have no witnesses because it would feel as if it wasn't a real wedding so I called the three up and fortunately, they agreed and were happy for Junsu and I.

"Why aren't you wearing any gloves?" I asked with a frown. It's been getting cold lately and he cannot afford to get sick. In his condition, even a simple cold can turn into something more serious. We can't take the risk.

I stopped on my tracks and adjusted the scarf he knitted himself. It was a pretty scarf, if I may say so. He made one for me as well and I'm wearing it. Not minding that I could freeze my off, I took my jacket off and inserted his hands on the sleeves so he could warm them up. He made no protests knowing that I would just ignore them.

Jaejoong and Yunho were on cuddling on a pew when we arrived at the chapel. The pair greeted us. Over the months, Jaejoong have gotten a little close to Junsu. I couldn't say they're friends because they rarely talk but I could tell they're very comfortable around each other.

A few minutes later, Junsu's brother arrived and so did the pastor.

Junsu and I couldn't believe our luck. Last week, I nervously came here to talk to the pastor. I was ready to beg so he could marry us. He only chuckled, patted me on the head and asked the date of our supposed marriage. Pastor Shim was a nice man.

It wasn't long until, in front of our beloved friends, we were pronounced husband and husband. Junsu had wanted to change his surname so from now on, he'd be known as Park Junsu.





I came home from work one night and found Junsu lying on the floor face down. . I rushed towards him and pulled him in my embrace. "Baby... baby, wake up. What happened?"

Much to my relief, he opened his eyes albeit slowly. He smiled. "My arms and legs went numb for a moment and I fell off my wheelchair. Then I fell asleep."

I held him tighter, my heart pounding rapidly. It scared me. It scared me so much. I thought I was going to lose him and I'm not ready for it. I don't think I will ever be.

I carried him to our bedroom and gently put him down before lying beside him. He nudged me with his nose and that meant only one thing, he wanted to use my arm as a pillow. I held him close, real close. I didn't think we would come to the point where we'd get married. I wasn't one for marriage but being with him made me realize that hey, being tied down wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

"I'm sorry." I heard him say.

"For what?"

"Worrying you. I've been getting hard to take care of lately."

Pressing a soft kiss on his forehead, I put my leg over his. "Shut up, Junsuyah. I'm your husband and I love you. Me doing anything and everything for you should be a given."

"But--"

"Hearing you say those words hurts me."


"...I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Just tell me how much you love me." With a soft chuckle, Junsu proceeded to declare his undying love for me until we both fell asleep in each other's arms.

A week after, I decided to take him to an oriental doctor, thinking that some acupuncture session would do him good. He tugged on my arm as we entered a slightly suspicious building. "Let's just go home, Chun."

I placed a kiss atop his head and replied, "Don't be like this. I know this isn't an ideal place for treating people but trust me, this place had good reviews on the internet."

"You're not even sure about that. What if those testimonials are made by the people here?"

"Silly Junsu. People would find out and that would be bad for their business. Now let's get going, shall we?" I said, not really giving him any chance to protest anymore.

"What are you waiting for, come in you two?" said the middle-aged woman at the door. She glanced at Junsu and I know she could sense his hesitance to go through the treatment. "Young man, one dose of this and you'll be cured in no time." She then showed us a glass of some weird looking concoction. Squeezing my husband's shoulder in assurance, I finally wheeled him inside the room.

Junsu nearly screamed when his tummy was prodded with the first needle. "Stay still. Don't be a big baby." the old doctor said and I had to frown at him. I wanted to tell him off for being rude to my husband but then, I'm scared to anger him. I don't want him poking him with needles in places he's not supposed to stick the things into. I stared at the doctor as he took a deep breath and then glanced at me. "He's blood type A, right?"

"No, he's not."

"Oh..." he shrugged. "I suppose blood type's not important."

"He's getting worse these past few days. Also, he keeps on getting fever." I looked at Junsu who was trying to stay still. "What else did you say was wrong?"

"Digestion problems..."

"It's because your muscles have lumped together." the doctor, whose name I have yet to know, cut him off.

"The TCM physician said the same thing last year."

"That's all quasi medicine." butted in the middle-aged woman earlier, doctor's assistant, I guess. She was carrying a tray of needles and placed it on the bed, just beside Junsu. "We're the real thing."

I nodded, and then watched as the old man continued sticking needles in my husband's body. It pained me to see how much he's suffering, but he's going to get better. I'll make sure of that.

"Is it true that he'll get miraculously cured after this?" I asked anxiously. I wanted to know whether or not my baby's suffering would be worth it.

"I suggest praying." he replied. "Miracles don't happen to anyone. It takes both faith and the patient's will to live."

"Is this even legal? Do you have a license?" Junsu spat, startling us all.

"Look at this man!" My eyes widened in surprise. I thought the old man was going to hit Junsu. "The bad energy has to be channeled out."

I ran a hand through Junsu's hair and bowed apologetically. "I'm sorry, doctor. He's a little too irritable these past few days." I have no idea what is going on in Junsu's mind, but he doesn't have to snap like that. "What's wrong with you?" I asked him in annoyance. "He says you could have a miracle. There is still hope!"

Junsu just took a really deep breath and closed his eyes.

Is there... something wrong?

I watched as his breaths had gotten shorter and he was sweating really hard. I don't know what's going on but I know it wasn't normal. Willing myself to calm down, I held onto his hand tightly as I called for an ambulance.





"He'll be alright once the fever is down, right?" I inquired, trailing behind Doctor Moon like a puppy as he tended to Junsu. Once done checking his vitals and making sure that he's stable, he faced me. I couldn't read his expression, but he looked serious. Too serious that it scared me even more.

"Do you realize how serious a fever can do to him? What did he do? Drink?"

"N-no..."

"Then wha-- I saw bruises on his stomach. Did he get acupuncture?"

"Well..." I trailed off, not bothering to wipe the tears streaming down my face. "It seemed harmless. H-how is he, doctor? Please tell me how bad it is..."

He sighed. "I understand how difficult your situation is. But do you know you could have killed him?" I froze. "We have to wait for the test results but from now on, he'll be bedridden."

No... no, I'm so sorry Junsu. I'm really sorry. "I-- I'm so..." I choked on my words as I sobbed uncontrollably. "I'm sorry, my love..." I whispered over and over like a mantra, hoping he could hear me even in his unconscious state.

"Mr. Park." Doctor Moon's voice snapped me out of my trance. "Do yourself a favor and freshen up. Junsu needs to get checked in."

 


 

☆☆☆☆☆



 


a/n: i think this would be longer than i expected. i'm not sure. but we're almost halfway through the story. or maybe we already are. again, some lines are taken from the movie. if you have questions, feel free to ask :)