Dangers of Love

Love Labyrinth

 

 

Word Count: 2,200

 

 

 

Love is a lot like magic

Kyuhyun has never really given a second thought about love. He knows it exists, and many people fancy it, but he has never truly experienced it. He’s had his little flings of crushes or appreciation, but he has never felt that feeling people always talk about when they fall in love; a heart that won’t stop beating loudly in your chest cavity, a stomach flip-flopping constantly, and a feeling of swoon or light-headedness. It just sounds ridiculous. Why would your body ever react that way to a mere human?

He’s even scoffed quite a few times to his best friend, Lee Donghae, who always came to him to rant about how awesome his boyfriend is. Really, Kyuhyun doesn’t get it.

However, Kyuhyun learned the hard way that indeed, those were the symptoms of the dreaded illness called Love, and sadly, there’s no treatment to it.  

Both love and magic brings emotions of joy and awe.

Kim Jongwoon was his name; the boy who cursed Kyuhyun with the foolish thing called Love.

Kyuhyun originally didn’t really pay much attention to him before. He was simply a senior to him which he doesn’t even have classes with. Kyuhyun has caught glimpses of him before in the hallway, but other than that, he has never seen him much.

He’s heard many rumors about that certain senior though; a boy with an amazing voice and sweet personality with a kind heart, something rare to ever come across. But an addition to him being an amazing person, from what Kyuhyun hears, he’s also really attractive. And unfortunately, Kyuhyun had to agree to that.

In a way, you could say Kyuhyun was attracted to him. Who wouldn’t be?

With soft features and a tiny, slightly pudgy face permanently adorned with a dazzling smile, the boy was simply breathtaking. He was average height, maybe even a little shorter, with a slim, almost petite with nice curves for a male. Feminine, is what Kyuhyun would define him as, which earned a slap upside the head from Donghae because Jongwoon was a highly respected senior.

Kyuhyun met the other when he decided to join the music club after school. He wasn’t interested to be a vocal member, and instead, just wanted to be the piano player for them. However, he didn’t realize that Jongwoon was the president of the club.

So when he walked in, he immediately froze by the doorway at the sight of the raven who was helping several freshmen’s. All eyes turned towards the lanky junior standing by the doorway awkwardly, their socializing disrupted by the boy as the room fell silent, the atmosphere heavy as Kyuhyun swallowed when the senior turned to look.

With his tail between his legs, Kyuhyun immediately turned and retreated, an embarrassed flush rising up to his face as he quickly left. But someone grabbed him lightly by the upper arm, causing Kyuhyun to whirl around, frightened. He was, however, greeted by the gorgeous sight of Jongwoon, head tilted in a slightly curious way.

“You must be Cho Kyuhyun,” the other said softly, and Kyuhyun wanted to melt on the spot by the sound of his smooth, husky voice. Luckily, he didn’t swoon as he expected, and instead, flushed an impossible red as he nodded once.

“Your friend, Donghae, told me you’d come in some time to audition as our piano player.” Jongwoon explained as he released his upper arm, knowing the younger was probably curious at how he knew him. “Don’t bother auditioning,” the raven starts, causing Kyuhyun expression to drop into a slight frown.

“I’m sure you’re the perfect person, judging by these beautiful fingers of yours.” Jongwoon grinned, his large almond eyes disappearing into small crescents as he reached down to grab Kyuhyun’s large hands. For once, Kyuhyun felt his heart race unexpectedly, and his world seems to spin for a moment as Kyuhyun risked staring at the other for just a few seconds longer. And Kyuhyun has to admit, it’s an amazing feeling.

Amazing memories are easily created through magic and love.

They didn’t start dating until three months later, right before Jongwoon left for college.
During those three months though, they managed to learn a lot about each other.

Kyuhyun first started out extremely awkward, feeling new and out of place in the family of choir members. Everyone knew each other well, and treated each other like brothers and sisters, especially Jongwoon. Everyone was extremely fond of him, and was easily comfortable in his presence to joke around. The club seemed to love him in general, Kyuhyun can feel the intensity of the respect and admiration they had for him when he’d speak and help them all out. And to be honest, Kyuhyun understands why; Jongwoon is more than just amazing. When he’d sing, Kyuhyun can feel himself tremble in the beauty of it, feel the tremor of each note in his chest and the emotion resonating in his heart.

After practice, Jongwoon offered to help Kyuhyun with the music since the younger was struggling a little to match how the choir is singing since they adjusted the music to their abilities, causing it to be less straight forward for Kyuhyun. Jongwoon was extremely patient, and he’d laugh lightly whenever Kyuhyun got flustered at his own stupidity. And to mend his damaged ego, the only thing the younger could do was tease the other lightly or give a snarky reply back, earning more beautiful laughter from the raven.

Of course, through those little extra times spent together, Kyuhyun began to fall harder for the other. And just as unexpected as the sudden emotion of love, his feelings were reciprocated.

Kyuhyun doesn’t understand.
He doesn’t understand why Jongwoon loves him. There’s nothing particularly special about him. Actually, he’s too awkward and shy for his own good. Not only that, he’s extremely unsocial and not very romantic either, always saying the wrong things at the wrong time.

However, after they made their relationship official, whenever Kyuhyun spoke negatively about himself, Jongwoon would always reach up and cup his face, forcing the younger to face him.

“You are yourself, and that’s all I want and love about you.” The raven would whisper, followed by a soft kiss to his lips before resuming back to reading their music, leaving Kyuhyun to sit there on the piano bench dazedly.

But many do not know, that they may also bring about corruption.

They moved in together after Kyuhyun graduated high school too, living in an average, but cozy apartment complex. They got married barely a year later through mutual agreement, and they were happy, truly happy.

At least they were for the first two years of their married life.

Even after so many years of being in a relationship, Kyuhyun still doesn’t know what to expect or want out of a relationship. He doesn’t know how to understand, or how to control it. All he knows is that he’s fallen head over heels for Kim Jongwoon, and he doesn’t know what to do. He gets possessive, greedy, and nearly obsessive for Jongwoon. He’d get jealous whenever Jongwoon’s out with his friend, or he’d feel lost without the raven next to him. He’d treat the raven like his queen; he’d pamper him and make love to him like no other.

And Jongwoon didn’t mind Kyuhyun’s selfish behavior. Instead, he gave what Kyuhyun craves for to satiate the possessive beast within Kyuhyun. The raven loves the younger just as much. He can always feel the intense gaze of the younger, Kyuhyun seemingly unable to keep his eyes off of Jongwoon. It wasn’t a lusty stare, no. It was more like Kyuhyun is afraid that Jongwoon would disappear, and he could only admire him every second he could get, watch his every movement or smile.
It was only because Kyuhyun had no control of his feelings because he has yet to understand them. The younger gets angry or frustrated at himself whenever he feels the beast within him rear its ugly head. He doesn’t know what to do. He feels like his love is too aggressive, too obsessive to deserve Jongwoon.

Although, Jongwoon does mind when Kyuhyun started to pull away.

Kyuhyun starts to pull away because of his fear.
 He’s afraid to scare Jongwoon away.  
He’s afraid to love him because of how obsessive he is.
He is afraid Jongwoon won’t understand.
He is afraid to hurt Jongwoon.

When you fail to believe in it, it’ll begin to weaken.
When you fail to trust it, it’ll begin to fade.

Jongwoon’s hurt by the distance that Kyuhyun draws between the two of them after awhile.
It had gotten to the point where it’d be a struggle just to greet each other in the same living space.
They’ve become strangers to each other.
Jongwoon doesn’t know what Kyuhyun wants anymore.
He doesn’t know how to fix it, how to comfort and reassure the younger that he loves him no matter what.

Arguments began to come between the two when Jongwoon couldn’t stand the cold shoulder he was receiving. He wanted answers, reasons, maybe even excuses from the younger, but Kyuhyun gave him none. It became a struggle to live this way, in denial and tensity.

Their arguments, however, ended with no winning side. They’d always storm off in separate ways, Kyuhyun to the living room to throw his anger out into his game as Jongwoon would sit in the kitchen with his face in his hands, crying silently.

Jongwoon was unhappy. And it hurt Kyuhyun to know that he was the one who caused it. Hi lover is suffering, he’s being tortured by Kyuhyun’s behavior. Jongwoon’s lost that dazzling smile, and the radiating beauty he used to have because of him.

Despite all these problems occurring, Kyuhyun doesn’t want Jongwoon to leave him though. He doesn’t want to lose the love he has finally got. He doesn’t want to give up just like that. He was selfish, and he knew it.

In order to patch up their relationship, Kyuhyun seeked help and advice from his friend Donghae.

“Buy him something.” Was what DongHae said, before further relaying. “Although many say love cannot be acknowledged and bought through things materialistically, items could actually be a great way to symbolize your love though. It’s like a reminder, a memoir of your guys’ love.”

And Kyuhyun did just that. He bought a necklace, something he knew Jongwoon would appreciate and wear.

However, he came home to an unusual sight.

Jongwoon was sitting in the dining room with a manila folder in front of him rather than hiding in his room where he usually is after work, his expression stoic.

He looks up briefly though when he hears Kyuhyun enter, and the blank gaze Kyuhyun was receiving, he knew the raven wanted to talk.

Kyuhyun walks over and pulls the chair out that was across the table from Jongwoon, sitting down slowly and tensely. Jongwoon sits back up straight and pushes the manila folder forward, the thing sliding to a stop right before Kyuhyun.

Warily, Kyuhyun glances up at the raven, only to see him look away as he leans back in his chair again and crosses his arms. The younger, with a heavy heart, reaches up and opens the folder to pull out the papers.

“You want a divorce.” He states stiffly as he skims its content, and notices that Jongwoon has already signed it.

“We need it.” Jongwoon corrected simply.

Angered, Kyuhyun stands up abruptly, knocking the chair over loudly as he slams the packet back down roughly onto the table, the raven not even flinching at the outburst.

“I’m not signing it.” Kyuhyun gritted out as he turns sharply to retreat to his room, originally the guest room.

“We can’t drag this out anymore.” Jongwoon’s voice rang out. “We can’t keep living like this.”

Kyuhyun stops in his steps, his heart halting with him.
It hurt; it hurt so much to know that Jongwoon has given up on him.
Kyuhyun has become a lost case.

The younger’s hand clenches in his coat pocket, his hand tightening around the small velvet box of the necklace he had just purchased. His head drops a little as he squeezes his eyes shut, his back still facing the elder.

No, they really can’t keep living like this.

He spins back around and strides forward to the table again, and grab the pen that was on the table. He drags the paper work forward and reaches up with the pen, but stops momentarily. However, the falter lasted barely a second, and with quick movements, he signed it.

A million things ran through his heart and mind as he shoves the packet back towards the other.
But what stood out the most within all of them, was regret.

He regrets letting the emotion of love consume him.
He regrets falling for someone so much higher than him.
He regrets not pushing the other away when he had the chance
He regrets letting this beast grow within him.
He regrets hurting the one he loved most.
He regrets wasting Jongwoon’s years away with a person like him.

But most of all, he regrets losing Jongwoon.

And like magic, love could be powerful, but at the same time, dangerous.

 

 


A/N: yeah, hi guys! Sorry for such slow and late updates. I hadn't really had the time now that I have marching band practice after school and work on the weekends....But anyways, this story was actually supposed to have a happy ending, but I got lazy in trying to change the mood of the story so I decided to end it with angst (haha sorry. Or 'you're welcome' to angst lovers like me). And yeah, as youc an tell, it's unedited, so there's probably a lot fo mistakes here and there. Sorry! I really need to check my work more often.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this one! 
Please leave comments~♥ Upvotes would be A-W-E-S-O-M-E too.