The Best Part

Love Labyrinth

 

 

Word Count: 2,839

 

 

“Here Hyung,” a voice says from across him, causing him to look up a little.

Yesung frowns a little at what was offered and kindly rejected it. “No thanks, Shindong.”

“But hyung!” The heavier set male whines, giving the elder a slightly offended look. “this is the best part of eating out at a Chinese restaurant.”

“But—“

"At least check what the fortune says!” Shindong says insistently, shoving the fortune cookie forward towards the elder.

Sighing in defeat, Yesung reached forward and took the small cookie out of Shindong’s hands, tearing open the clear package to get to the treat.

Shindong was already munching away on his by the time Yesung had cracked open his own to see what the little scroll of paper said.

Through a mouthful of the sweet dessert, Shindong read his own out: “Someone is speaking well of you”. He frowns a little as he stared at the sheet of paper. “ I hope it’s my girlfriend.” He grumbles.

Yesung laughs softly at the others expression. “She’s only gone for a few weeks, Shindong. Don’t worry.” He reassures, knowing that his girlfriend had went to Japan with her family for vacation. The point of this little friendly dinner outing was to comfort him actually.

“What does yours say, hyung?” Shindong asks curiously, watching as Yesung nibbled at a corner of the cookie, unfolding the small scrap of paper to read it.

“You will attend an unusual party and meet someone important.” Yesung read aloud, stuffing the rest of the cookie into his mouth.

“Hey, that doesn’t sound so bad.” Shindong says, causing the elder to stare at him oddly. “After all, I know you’re still suffering from that heartbreak your last boyfriend left you with. Maybe you’ll find someone at this “Party”. ”

“He had his own reasons as to why he left.” Yesung tried to justify, but the other just raises a hand to silence him.   

“I don’t care what his excuses are. It was stupid of him to leave you like that without giving you a reason. He can’t say ‘it’s a personal matter I have to deal with’ and leave you hanging like that for the past five years. Just because you guys have been together since you were kids does not give him the right to think that he could just leave so comfortably like that.”

“He’s coming back,” Yesung whispers, his hand coming up absent-mindedly to play with the ring on his opposite hand, given by his last lover as a sign that he’d return. “He promised he would.”

“Uh huh, with another lover.” Shindong spits out distastefully, but falls silent when he sees the others lowered head. He clears his throat a little and sits back up straight. “Anyways, uh, talking about parties…“ He starts, trying to change the subject again. “You remember Leeteuk? That really rich guy that our boss has a partnership with?”

Yesung  looks back up again, glad that the other subject was dropped, and nods briefly. Leeteuk was pretty well known around South Korea. Not only was he wealthy, but he was also quite friendly and respectable in the business area.

“He’s inviting our company to a party this Saturday for a successful contract signing overseas. You gonna go? You might meet that important someone there.” Shindong says with a wink.

“I guess,” Yesung shrugs nonchalantly as he stops fiddling with the ring, choosing to ignore the last comment. “I have nothing else better to do this weekend anyways. What’s the theme of his party?”

“You’ll find out.” Shindong says slyly, expression brightening. “I hear he has extravagant parties though.”


On the night of the party, Yesung was fully dressed in a white suit Shindong had specifically picked out for him to wear to the event.

He was in the bathroom fixing up his light blonde hair when he sees a small gleam, the light catching off his ring. He lowers his hand and stares at the silver band, the small diamond glinting brightly on it.

“This ring is my heart. My love for you.”
“I’m sorry, but I can’t tell you why.”
“ I’ll take care of this matter as soon as I can.”
“I’ll come back for you; for us.”
“I promise, my love.”

Yesung remembered those tearful words clearly. It’s been five years already, and he still hasn’t heard a single word from him.
Maybe it really is time to let go.

He reaches down and slides the silver band off, but his heart suddenly throbs in pain. He felt so without it, so vulnerable and hopeless. He’s always depended on this ring whenever he felt lonely. It was a symbol of hope for him, the only thing he could truly hold onto.
He has dedicated his whole life to that man.

And he’s not ready to give up just yet.


The party, just like what Shindong had said, was very extravagant.

If Yesung knew it was going to be a masquerade, he wouldn’t have agreed to coming at all. But Shindong somehow managed to drag him out of his house after slapping a golden mask onto him to hide his face.  

“I did not agree to come to a masquerade party!” Yesung snaps as Shindong continued to tug him through the large double doors that led him to what seemed like a brightly lit ballroom. It must be some kind of joke if this is actually happening, attending a very unusual party like mentioned on his fortune.

The large ballroom was packed with people that were hidden behind colorful masks, smiles permanent on their faces as they mingled in small groups with each other. It felt haunting and unnerving as Yesung glanced around, his sight filled with hollow-eyed masks and leering smiles.

“Shindong, please—“Yesung starts, only to realize that he was alone now, his friend long gone to mingle with others, nowhere within his line of sight. He panics a little, not knowing what to do in this strange situation.

He knew he shouldn’t have opened that damn fortune if it was going to remind Shindong of this party. Everything felt so unsettling.

Yesung stood in the middle of the ballroom, not knowing where to go, or how to escape. Hidden faces greeted him, smiled at him, and acknowledged his presence, but Yesung didn’t know any of them, he doesn’t recognize them through those masks.

He takes a step back in fear as he realized that he was left alone in an unknown place filled with strange faces and unknown people, but he runs into someone in the process. He gasps and spins around in surprise, only to trip over his own feet.

His world spins for a moment as he falls backwards, his hands reaching blindly for something to grab a hold of. But a pair of strong, foreign arms s out and wrapped around his waist firmly, pulling him back up almost as quickly as he fell, causing Yesung to stumble forward this time. The other smelled wonderful as he face planted into a firm chest, to Yesung’s embarrassment. An irresistibly strong musk-mixed-cologne that caused his eyes to flutter shut in pleasure at just a light whiff.

The blonde blushes furiously, cursing silently at how he managed to release his clumsy side out at such an elegant party. He pulls away shamefully from the other, trying to regain himself as he lowered his head to hide his evident blush.

“I-I’m so sorry!” He apologizes quickly, trying to step away from the strangers assisting hands since he was still stumbling a little from getting himself into such an awkward situation.

“Now worries, my love,” A low, silk-laced voice reassures, his assisting hand now holding Yesung’s elbow gently but firmly to keep him upright.  “Are you alright?” he says, directing concern towards the flustered male.

“N-No, really, I’m so sorry. I-I should’ve w-watched where I was going—“

“No need to be so worked up, my love. I’m fine.” The other chuckled, finding the others reaction amusing.

“I just,” Yesung starts embarrassedly, “I’m sorry. I’m so new to this kind of event.” He whispers sheepishly, looking anywhere but up at the other. He found it odd how the other kept calling him ‘my love’, but he paid it no mind, thinking that the other just enjoyed using affectionate titles to strangers who he does not know the name to.

“Really?”The other says, a hint of interest in his voice. “By the looks of you, I had assumed you’re the type that comes to these kinds of things often.”

“Wh-What do you mean?” Yesung frowns, not sure if he should be offended or not, still staring intently down at the ground, too ashamed to face his savior still.

He felt the stranger suddenly lean in close though, so close that he could feel the others breath brush his cheek.

“Because you’re beautiful, fitting to this elegant theme perfectly.” The other whispers, and Yesung burns several shades of red as he found himself rooted to the ground.

“You must feel suffocated, then.” The stranger says. “How about I take you outside for some fresh air?” he offers kindly.

Yesung feels his heart lighten a little. He really needed some space, feeling so small and foreign in the mass of people. He looks up at the other gratefully, finally able to see the other fully.

Handsome, is probably an understatement when Yesung saw him. Mysterious probably isn’t strong enough to describe him either. He was tall, standing at least a foot taller than Yesung, dressed in a full black suit with a white mask on. He was lean and almost lanky, but he held himself with an almost arrogant air. Yesung couldn’t see his eyes through the mask, but he had a smooth but strong jaw line that would make every girl swoon, matched with a pair of lips that was adorned with a permanent smirk on it. The thing that stood out the most on him was the honey-golden hair he had in light curls, Yesung finding it oddly familiar.

The stranger bows a little and offers a hand to the other, snapping Yesung out of his dazed staring. Flushing a light pink, Yesung shyly takes the man’s offered hand, allowing him to lead him elsewhere.

It was dark out when they managed to ease through the mass of people, Yesung finding himself standing in a vast flower garden.

“Come, my love.” The stranger urged, gently pulling Yesung forward again towards a pavilion over a lake.

Yesung eagerly followed the other silently, his eyes wide and shining as he looked all around him. It was breathtaking, the many flowers vibrant and glowing in the bright moonlight. The waters beneath them glistened with each ripple caused by the cool breeze that blew by.

The blonde released the man’s hand and grabbed onto the railing of the pavilion, taking a deep breath as his eyes fluttered shut, a smile gracing upon his lips. The warm night smelled lightly of honeysuckle and jasmine, calming and sweet.

“It’s so beautiful,” Yesung breathed, grinning as he finally opened his eyes again.

“It is, isn’t it?” The stranger smiled, joining the other by the edge of the pavilion. “Leeteuk specially requested me from America to help him design this.”

“You’re from America?” Yesung asks, stepping away from the side to turn and face the other curiously.

The man’s expression was stoic for a moment as their gazes met. “I…” he starts, before bringing up a hand to rub nervously at his nape. “I-I was there for a few years.”

Yesung’s mouth formed an ‘O’ as he nodded in understanding, turning again to face the lake. “It must be wonderful there,” he whispers, and the stranger could sense the happiness leave the smaller male.

“It’s alright. Why do you say that?” The brunette asks.

Yesung shrugs meekly, his gaze not once leaving the now still waters. “It was enough to take my lover away from me.”

“Hey,” The other calls out softly. “Look at me, my love” he pleads.

However, Yesung stays where he was, refusing to acknowledge the brunette.

“Please,” The stranger sighs, grabbing the blonde’s upper arm gently and forcing him to face him.

Yesung didn’t understand what he was doing with the stranger either. Why did he follow him out? Why is he talking so comfortably with him too? Maybe because it was how the other seems, so mysterious and secluded, but yet open to hear another’s story.

Yesung made the wrong move of looking up at the stranger, meeting those beautiful golden eyes; those intriguingly familiar eyes. And he finds himself lost in those warm eyes.

“No Matter how beautiful something is, or how tempting, I’d never leave you.” The stranger whispers, reaching up with a gentle hand to brush back the golden strands that fell over Yesung’s eyes. “My heart has always belonged to you, and as long as you don’t release it, I will always be yours.” And as he said those words, he reaches down to bring Yesung’s hand up, his head dropping briefly to press his lips to the ring. “After all these years, I’ve never stopped thinking about you. I yearned for your love, your smile, your beautiful heart. I love you.”

Yesung pulls back, shock evident on his face as the stranger looks back up at him.
“Who are you,” he demands, but his throbbing heart already knows who he is, especially when he finally notices the ring on the man’s hand, the ring that was identical to his.

The other doesn’t respond, not even when Yesung reaches up with trembling hands to remove his mask, revealing his face. He expected the small gasp, the stunned expression, and the infinite tears. But what he didn’t expect, was the sudden slap across his face.

“Tell me this is just another dream,” Yesung bites out, taking another step back as both hands came up to cover his mouth, suppressing back a sob. “Kyuhyun, please.”

And the brunette could feel his heart ache at how he says his name, so broken and hurt.

“Five years,” Yesung quivers. “I’ve finally gone insane, haven’t I? I should’ve given up when I was still strong. I should’ve let you go, forgotten you. This is another nightmare, I’m—“

Yesung was abruptly silenced by the others lips, strong arms wrapping around him and folding him into the familiar body; the body that would always press up against him at night, the body that was always so warm and comforting, the body that was dangerously sinful. Kyuhyun’s lips moved with a burning passion, ravaging at those lips he has been deprived of for so long, taking in every small cry and desperate sound Yesung made.

And Yesung’s melting, forever falling into those strong arms and melting into those sinful lips, the kiss claiming his entire being. He found himself lost all over again, lost in the others infinite love, and he can’t get back out. But he doesn't mind. He feels as if life has finally returned to him, his heart can finally beat with reason and hope. He's no longer alone, left in a dark, isolated world of his own creation.  

Kyuhyun knew the other admitted defeat when the smaller pulls away to drop his head into his chest, small hands clenching to the front of his shirt.

“I’m back, my love.”


Yesung has never felt this happy before. So safe and secure in the others presence, laying side by side next to each other, sharing a bed like they used to.

Kyuhyun was fast asleep, and Yesung couldn’t blame him since it’s almost morning soon, but Yesung himself couldn’t sleep; not when this all still seems like a dream.

He scooted closer to the warm body next  to him, moving so his head rested on the brunette’s chest, one hand coming up to rest on the sleeping mans stomach, Kyuhyun unconsciously moving to adjust to the new position, one arm coming up to wrap around the blonde’s waist.

Yesung smiled in satisfaction, his eyes fluttering shut in bliss, feeling the rise and fall of each breath and the soft heartbeat.

He still couldn’t believe his fortune cookie would be so accurate.
But he should’ve known better, especially when his phone started vibrating from the nightstand.

He reaches for it as quickly as he could so it wouldn’t wake the other, and answers it quietly as he tries to climb out of bed to talk elsewhere, but the strong arms around him refused to release him.

“Hello? Shindong?” Yesung frowns when he sees the caller ID, curious as to what the other wanted so early in the morning.

“Hey hyung!” The other greeted, too cheerful for his own good. “So, how was last night? How did everything go?”

Yesung’s brows scrunch together in thought as he slowly sits up. “What do you mean? There’s—“

But then it dawned on him.

“You set this up!” He hisses through the speaker, only to receive a happy cackle from the other end. “You and Kyuhyun purposely planned this out didn’t you?!”

Yesung shoots a glare down at the man beside him when he heard the once-sleeping-man, chuckle under his breath, tugging Yesung closer to him snuggly before looking up at the blonde with a sleepy grin. 

“Hyung, as I said before; the fortune cookies are the best part!”

 

 

 


A/N: Hey guys! I'm not a huge fan of this chapter.....but I do hope you guys liked it!(Even thought I didn't do a good job with editing it). Please leave comments! I love some comments for me ^.^ 
And upvotes would be awesome too ♥