Fitting in a Sore Thumb

Course of Lightning
Please log in to read the full chapter

Walls aren't as tough as it seems. No matter the days spent on building them, they would surely crumble, expected or not. They filter out the tremendous impacts, leaving little gestures to march in like ants. 

As a critical kid of my age, I had been a prominent rebel in town, moving schools as if changing attires. My parents hadn't been the sweetest; they were busy bees struggling to survive in this relentless, unsparing society.

That day had rolled in like thunder, startling this little world of mine without any sort of hesitation. I had been forced to flop onto a piece of coloured wood, peering at a lady who was far too young to be a mother. 

"...And finally, we have a new student who is joining us today, please be nice to her and Lea is it?" The lady queers as she bid me a smile, a little to ecstatic for my taste. I cringed at the typicality of her words, and also her insufficient manner as she replaced the last letter of my name with an 'a' instead of an 'o'. Rude, don't you think so?

"No, it's Leo" I murmured, in a viciously low tone. 

The lady, Miss Sunny, gasped in a flustered manner, obviously agitated as she apologised in broken sentences. "I- sorry, Leo wasn't it" Miss Sunny let out a final round of distressed laughter, before a hand prominently shoots up into the air, attracting the whole class' attention.

"Is Lea a girl or a boy?" 

Scrunching the thickness of my brows, I gave my reply in the form of a questioning gaze. Kris, the boy whose name was known after difficulties of reading his nametag from such a distance, blinks at me repetitively, acting all guiltless and innocent as Miss Sunny opened , before closing it seconds after. What a waste of energy, why did she have to close it again when she could've lashed out permanent curses and a good hour of scolding on that black and white ball of ism.

"Kris, Lea- I mean Leo is of course a girl!" Miss Sunny tried to mend the situation back into place, despite knowing that it was almost impossible, since she herself had messed up earlier, and just a few seconds ago (which really irked me, like, how could she have mistaken my name for 'Lea' twice in a row? How despicable of her.)

After a few minutes of processing Miss Sunny's reply, Kris' hands shot up again, his eyes almost glowing with curiosity. 

"If Leo's a girl, then why is her name Leo?"

Cue the roll of the eyes.

"Isn't Leo a boy's name?" Kris prodded further. 

My hands balled with a twitch of my left eye; the deranged being in front of me was this close to acquiring a personal first-hand taste of my fist. I would hardly recommend it though.

"W-wh

Please log in to read the full chapter