Penultimate

Executive Order

Two edifices were made identically to symbolize the partnership between the Parks and the Byuns. Since Chanyeol and Baekhyun are both acting president of the company, their offices are located in the same floors, and in the same arrangement, facing each other. Across the window, Chanyeol could see what is going on in Baekhyun’s department, and outside his office, Sulli’s desk was situated closest to his.

Baekhyun hated that Sulli often smiles and waves to the head on the other building. Ever since Chanyeol came back, he never see her without him, he couldn’t even get a time alone with her to talk things over. They were doing well as a couple but Chanyeol came and ruined everything. He doesn’t want to blame Chanyeol, but he can’t blame Sulli either.

Angered, he shuts the curtains in his office and calls her inside. As soon as she closes the door behind her, he pressed his lips onto her as he locked the door. Sulli kissed him back with the same vigour, expressing that they have the same thing in their thoughts. He places a kiss on her neck, how badly he wanted to on it to show everyone that she belongs to him alone. Baekhyun slides her sleeve to reveal her smooth shoulder. “We’re in the office.” Sulli pleaded but he on it. She moans as he did, and it was more than enough for him to want to take her.

“I don’t care.” Baekhyun whispered against her ear. “Tell me, do you love him?” Seconds have passed, Sulli didn’t answer his question. He stepped back, hands on her arms and looked her in the eyes. “Do you love him?”

Sulli looked down briefly before Baekhyun shook her and she looked back at him. “You can’t make me choose between the two of you, Baekhyun. I loved him, once, and he made me happy, too, but you can’t expect me to just break his heart. Baekhyun, please, don’t do anything. Let me be the one to clear this, okay?”

“Look, it’s my choice, okay? If it’s either you or him, and I would rather throw away our friendship even if it meant losing this company than to lose you.” Sulli’s tears fell from her eyes as he said those words. She wouldn’t let him do that, she wanted him to keep his friendship. Baekhyun cupped her cheeks, brushing the tears away with his thumb. “I’d rather be penniless as long as you’re with me, as long as I have you by my side, I can be happy. We will get married, probably even going somewhere far, where no one can break us apart.”

“You will marry me?” Sulli asked, thinking that her ears were playing tricks on her. Her tears stopped flowing for a moment, and suddenly all the emotions wanted to go out, she can’t stop them anymore.

“Will you marry me, Choi Jinri?” Baekhyun asked, and then he is suddenly crying, too. “This isn’t the way I planned on proposing to you, but will you make me the happiest of man?”

Sulli smiled, but she recalled about Luna’s plan—suddenly, the fate of the company is in her hands. But she made up her mind, ever since the beginning, that she will never harm him, and she would make him the happiest. She brought her hands to touch his face, looking at his eyes, “Yes! A thousand times, yes, I will marry you.”

Baekhyun’s hand joined hers, feeling her soft hand against him before pulling her for a passionate kiss. Sulli remained against the door, kissing him with just as much amount of longing. Their tears unknowingly stopped as they drown themselves into each other’s kisses. Baekhyun stopped kissing her to get something from his pockets.

Still in each other’s arms, he pulled out a red velvet case, and opened it. He gently held her hand as he pushed the ring into her finger. Jinri still couldn’t believe that she is engaged to him, staring at the ring on her finger intertwining between Baekhyun’s fingers. She was about to say something, but someone knocked on the door. She immediately pushed him away, smoothening down her clothes.

Baekhyun seated on his chair, with blood still heating his face as Sulli opened the door and the figure of Krystal Jung came in, closing the door behind her. “What are you guys doing? Chanyeol asked me to make sure that you aren’t giving her a hard time. ” Krystal said, referring to Sulli, a knowing look plastered on her face. She looked from the breathless Byun to the red Choi, and back to Baekhyun. “Your employees were giggling when I came here. They said that it’s been too quiet for ten minutes now.”

“We are only talking about a project.” Sulli quickly made the excuse, which was technically true, though the Jung didn’t buy it.

“If you’re not doing anything suspicious, why don’t we open these curtains so that your boyfriend wouldn’t get so worried?” Krystal said walking over to the windows, sliding the curtains open, and in came light.

From the other building about fifteen metres away they saw Park Chanyeol standing, arms on hips, his face looking worried as hell. Sulli forced a smile to him, to show that nothing is happening. He heaved out a sigh after seeing that Baekhyun hadn’t made her cry just yet. Baekhyun raised a hand to wave to his best friend, and Chanyeol continued on what he is doing.

“Am I interrupting something?” Krystal asked Baekhyun.

“No, not at all.” Baekhyun said, smiling a little when he met with Sulli’s gaze.

“Sir, can I borrow Miss Choi for a moment?” Krystal asked him.

“You may go, Miss Choi.” Baekhyun said as he looked over an empty folder. Sulli bowed and went out of his office. Krystal bowed and walked after her friend.

Krystal pulled her into the women’s bathroom, and locked the doors before saying anything. “Am I missing something, Sulli?”

“You’re missing absolutely nothing.” Sulli didn’t know if Krystal got the sarcasm behind but she sounded as if she’s caught red-handed.

Krystal looked around, checking each cubicle if there is anyone who could hear them. In a hushed voice Krystal said, “Was that still the way we planned? Luna thinks that you are going way overboard. At first I don’t believe her but please don’t tell me that you are making out with him in those locked doors?”

“I won’t tell you.” Sulli said both casually and intelligently. Krystal hated it when she uses her brains on matters like this.

“Look, Luna would kill you if you decided to break Chanyeol’s heart.” Krystal said.

“I know,” Sulli said.

“So what are you doing?” Krystal asked.

“I will talk to Chanyeol…” Sulli trailed off. She didn’t know what to tell her.

“Can’t you see a major trench war that is going to happen? Your colleagues are rooting for Baekhyun and mine roots for Chanyeol! Everyone knows what is happening, Sulli. You are the talk of the crowd, and I can predict that a series of lawsuits will take place the moment the two best friends actually fight.”

“Isn’t that what you guys wanted?” She asked.

“What are you talking about?” Krystal asked, confused.

“It was Luna’s plan, remember? And you’re in it, too.”

“The plan was to make Byun Baekhyun fall in love with you, and then you break his heart. So you’ll have your revenge, right? It didn’t involve having strong feelings for each other.” Hearing Krystal’s statement, she realized that Luna tricked her into this. Krystal didn’t know about the plan to destroy the Byuns. Krystal continued, “As your best friend, I’m telling you, I don’t care who will you choose, but you have to. Either way I think will result to a catastrophe.”

“I know, Soojung.” With that, Krystal left the women’s room and went back to the other building, where the department head must be waiting for her.

Sulli had been thinking about it the whole day. Krystal was right; she is the talk of the whole building. The murmurings are everywhere, whenever she entered Baekhyun’s office, when she ate with the two during lunch, and when Sulli entered Chanyeol’s car going home. They might think that she likes the attention of her two lovers. But she wanted to end it as much as they loved the drama.

When she entered Chanyeol’s hotel room, events in Baekhyun’s apartment came into her mind and it didn’t soothe her mind one bit. She dropped her bag onto the couch and sighed heavily. Chanyeol’s hands s around her waist from behind and tightened around her which directed her to another sweet memory with Baekhyun. “Sulli, is there something wrong?” Chanyeol asked.

“Everything’s wrong, Chanyeol.” She spoke softly, hoping that it didn’t sound harsh. Chanyeol isn’t a fan of sarcasm, and she knew that he wouldn’t figure it out. He spun her around and kissed her, hoping that it would make her feel good. But as soon as his lips pressed against hers, Sulli missed the way Baekhyun kissed her.

Chanyeol was about to kiss her again but this time, Sulli turned her head to the side. She lightly pushed him, he understood and let go of her. “Do you want to talk about it? I have time.” Chanyeol sat down comfortably on the sofa, his hand inviting her to sit beside him.

“You broke up with me. Don’t you remember?” Sulli said, bluntly, ignoring the space in the couch.

“I do, and I wish that I didn’t. Why would you bring it up right now when everything’s fine between us?” Chanyeol asked, reaching for her hand.

“It’s been a year since you’ve been gone, and you broke up with me. It’s just natural that I learn to love somebody else.” She said.

“But in the airport, you kissed me back. And you told me that you love me.” Chanyeol stood up, smiling.

“I was happy that you’re back, of course. Everything’s so sudden that I didn’t have time to think things over.” Sulli said. Chanyeol paced around the room, trying to get a hold of situation.

“Is it Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked. Sulli pursed her lips and nodded. “He doesn’t love you. And he hates you. Get over him.” He said.

His words only angered her. She spoke louder, “You’re wrong. We love each other. And we’ve been together before you come back.”

“Trust me on this. I know Baekhyun. He is not the serious type, Ssul.” Chanyeol started walking to her. “I love you, and I will set you free if you wanted. But there are other guys out there. You can have anyone, but not my best friend.”

“Why not him?” She asked.

“He is my ing best friend, Ssul! But he has always been my competition in your heart. It pains me the most to see you with him, even the slightest moment. And I am jealous whenever I see you from afar, working with him!”

“You know it’s been him ever since time began! I had always been in love with him, and you know that I only accepted you in my life so that I can be with him in the slightest moment! I loved you once, but you broke up with me, remember?! If you didn’t, then maybe, I would have a reason to hold on to us. But you are selfish and mean, Chanyeol. I’ve been thinking a lot about this and I’ve made up my mind.”

“I broke up with you back then because of him! You knew that I have loved you more than I loved anybody else in the world, but you are in love with my best friend! Byun Baekhyun is my best friend, Sulli! We have a lot of things in common! If I am selfish and mean, so is he. You should know that because you are smart!”

“Will you give up the company for me?” Sulli asked.

“What kind of nonsense is that, Ssul?” Chanyeol asked.

“Byun Baekhyun may be selfish, and mean, like you, but he is willing to give up the company for me. It’s one thing that you don’t have in common.” Sulli said with conviction. Chanyeol shook his head in doubt. Sulli continued, “And I’d rather be with the one who calls me by my birth name.”

“We’re breaking up right now, just because he calls you Choi Jinri?” Chanyeol said, not believing what is happening in front of his eyes.

“There is nothing to break between us, Chanyeol. You broke up with me, one year ago.” Sulli said, grabbing her bag from the couch, and was about to walk out when Chanyeol blocked her way.

“Give me a chance, Ssul. You can’t turn your back away now. We can figure these out. My parents are expecting me to marry you.”

“One more thing. Baekhyun asked me to marry him. And I said yes.” Sulli pushed him, and walked towards the door. But before she could completely leave his flat, he spoke the most despicable words that ever leave his mouth.

“If I can’t have you, then he can’t have you either, Sulli. Submit your resignation letter first thing tomorrow and leave our company. Leave the country, if you can. Disappear in our lives forever, Sulli.”

“What if I don’t?”

“I will make him fall. I will burn his family name. I will make him suffer. And you will wish that you have never been born at all.”

 

Sulli was just about to leave the company for good when she heard the commotion. People came running to see. From afar, she could make out two bodies in a serious conversation before the crowd completely covered them from her sight. She had the urge to watch the scene and dropped her belongings and made her way against the crowd. When she got in the first line, she found Chanyeol and Baekhyun at the centre.

Chanyeol was the one who initiated. Baekhyun’s voice bawled in pain when a fist landed on Baekhyun’s jaw. Chanyeol waited until he could recover before he attacked him again, but this time Baekhyun was able to dodge and send his knuckles onto his stomach, earning a groan from the taller boy.

A series of exchange of blows happened before their friends arrived to stop them. Kai and Kyungsoo got in their way and the others dispersed the crowd. As soon as the tension subsided a little, Sulli ran to Baekhyun’s aid. She no longer cared if the other people will see it, nor does she care about Chanyeol’s feelings. Everyone saw how Sulli loved Baekhyun, choosing him over Chanyeol, finally ending the war between the two departments.

In the emergency room in a nearby hospital, Baekhyun and Chanyeol sat opposite each other, talking casually as if nothing happened between them. Sulli was glad that the fight didn’t last for long. She bid them goodbye at the hospital. Baekhyun was confused why Sulli would be crying. Chanyeol tried hard not to cry, but he did in the end when Sulli disappeared in their view. At that time Baekhyun thought that Sulli still loved Chanyeol for a little bit, and that Chanyeol is still heartbroken that is why they cried. Baekhyun wished he knew so that he could cry, too. Little did he know that it was the last time he will be seeing of Sulli.

 


Author's Note: This story will end in the next update. Please anticipate it! e u e