/ brainstorming

☆ Hallucinated Dreams Reviews + Writing Advice ☆ Closed ☆
 

Want to write a story?

Well then, start planning ahead!


// CONTENTS PAGE:
1.1 Preparation
1.1 Ideation
1.2 Expansion
1.3 Organisation


// 1.1 PREPARATION:
As strange as it sounds, some sort of preparation is required before writing, especially if you want to write a story with quality. The only way to 'prepare' is to actually read; when you read, you get an idea of how other writers write and thus, you can understand how you can write your own stories better. It is best to read lots of actual literature. Also, before you begin writing, you can also try and read reviews of stories and fanfictions or even review fanfictions written by other writers yourself. When you review, you can identify mistakes made by other writers and be reminded not to make the same mistakes yourself. At the same time, you can pick up strengths that otehr writers possess and emulate them.

// 1.2 IDEATION:
First and foremost, before you can even think about writing a story, you should have an idea of what the story is about. If you already have an idea, good for you! However, if you can't think of any yet, here are ways you can brainstorm:
(Note: These can be used for writers' blocks as well)

a) Observe your surroundings.
This may seem like a strange method, but it can be effective especially when you want to write stories that are symbolic. Just go out to the park and look at the flowers, trees, people or even the weather. Who knows? Perhaps, you can find your inspiration there and start writing.

b) Think about the mood you want to set.
Do you have an inclination to write fantasy, historical or sci-fi stories? Do you want your story to be solemn or cheerful? Once you have an idea of the kind of story that you want to write, you can then branch down to the details of the actual plot itself.

c) Read other works, listen to music, watch movies... etc.
Anywhere can be a source of inspiration. If you are struggling to find an idea, then don't sit down there and think of one. Do something else; maybe you can take a look at other stories or maybe you can take a stroll and see what others are doing. Only then will ideas arise in your head.

d) Writing nonsense.
Does this make sense? Maybe it doesn't. However, it can be an effective way. Sometimes, the reason why ideas may not be popping up in your head is due to the fact that you're thinking too much. Hence, just let loose of yourself and write. It doesn't have to be about something very significant. It can just be about a plain old boring day in your room. Either way, just write whatever that comes into your mind; perhaps as you're writing, you can gain inspiration on what to write for your actual story.

// 1.3 EXPANSION:
Once you have got your idea, it is time to plan out the details! Most people usually skip to the realisation aspect instead of planning things out (something I am guilty of sometimes) but planning is actually very helpful. Why?
1. You can detect plot holes beforehand. 2. Your story will be more consistent. 3. The rough outline is already out, so you're only left with executing the story. That means your job will be much easier later on.

Here are the 3 key factors that you have to consider while expanding:
1. Setting: Sounds insignificant, but you have to know where your story is set before you can do anything else. The setting should be relevant to your story's plot and genre/s.

2. Characters: Just the rough personality traits will do. Tip: Try not to create too many characters unless you're planning to write a long story. The smaller the cast, the more time you have to develop them fully. If you notice, there are rarely any published books that have many characters.

3. Plot: Get a grasp of the storyline of your plot. This is especially important for mystery stories so that you can check for plot holes beforehand. At the end of the story, all the major questions should be answered logically.

// 1.4 ORGANISATION:

Now that you have understood how your story is going to go, organise the scenes and points. It will save you much trouble because it is easier for you to follow through the notes. You can simply organise them based on the 3 key factors. The presentation method is up to you; it can either be on a doc or mindmap.


ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is the introductory chapter because I think some people may have trouble with this. The actual chapters concerning the writing itself will come soon enough!