Chapter 2

Keeping Promises

Dinner was pretty great.

The food was expensive as hell, as was expected. The fondue pot was shiny brass carved with tiny dragons curving around the rim, polished until it gleamed.

The fruit was fresh and sweet, and the meat was well-cooked, not bitter in the least. 

Yifan didn't even get any chocolate on his sweater.

Minseok managed to spray the flawlessly white tablecloth with bits of chewed up fruit at one point, though, laughing so loud that the maitré d shot him a vicious glare.

Yifan thought it was adorable, even as he wiped pulpy strawberry off his forearm.

Minseok was pleased to note that Yifan was becoming less tense and eager to please as the night wore on. He'd even allowed Minseok to feed him a bit of chocolate-covered watermelon, hardly blushing at all.

Things were easy between them, as they had always been.

They talked about their next album and the noisy elderly couple at the next table over and whose turn it was to do laundry next. Nothing heavy or especially meaningful, just stuff they'd talk about if it was midnight, lying in each others arms and whispering secretly.

On the whole it was enormously satisfying, and Yifan was glad he'd gotten over his irrational nerves.

The night was going perfectly, so far.

~~~

Minseok had wandered outside while Yifan stayed in the queue at the front, having won the Rock Paper Scissors battle to see who would pay.

It was chilly outside, and the breeze smelled of rain. Minseok pulled his coat a little tighter around himself, looking up at the dark, rolling clouds.

"'Scuse me, oppa."

Minseok looked down to see a little girl, no older than eight, on her tip toes staring up at him.

"What is it?" He crouched down to get on her level, softening his voice and smiling brightly.

She was holding a plastic shopping bag in both her little hands, the sides bulging with what seemed to be rectangular, cardboard boxes.

"I'm selling chocolates for my Girl Scout troop, would you like to buy some? They're only 2000 won a box!"

Her voice was sickly sweet, and her eyes were wide and glittering.

Minseok glanced nervously inside the restaurant, biting his lip.

He had money, it's just that it was for the bus ride back to the dorm. Of course, they had just eaten chocolate, but maybe they could share the bars with the others at home?

Mind made up, he dug in his coat pocket for his wallet, pulling out a few notes.

"I'll take one box, please!"

~~~

Yifan walked outside to find Minseok with his eyes trained on the ground, holding a bulbous plastic sack in his hands.

"What's that?" Yifan asked curiously, looping an arm over Minseok's hunched shoulders.

"Just some chocolate bars."

Minseok mumbled, scuffing the toe of his sneaker on the sidewalk.

Was that... guilt?

"Where'd you get chocolate from?" Yifan chuckled.

"A Girl Scout conned me."

Yifan raised an eyebrow.

"She conned you? How?"

"I told her I only wanted to buy one box of Ghana bars, thats it! But she looked all disappointed, and we had enough money for another box so I got another one, but then it turned into this vicious cycle! I'd buy a box, she'd look sad, I'd buy another one. Before I knew it I had the whole bag!"

Minseok sounded so dejected Yifan couldn't help but laugh at him.

"You softy!" He pulled Minseok tighter into his side, rubbing his arm consolingly. 

"Don't worry about it, we can share them on the bus."

Yifan started to pull them along to the bus station, but Minseok planted his feet. Yifan turned to look at him, confused.

"About that."

Yifan frowned.

"You didn't."

"I did."

Yifan groaned. Now they'd have to walk the four blocks home. Most likely in the rain, by the looks of the clouds.

He wanted to be annoyed, and if it had been anyone else, he would have been. But this was Minseok. Tiny Minseok with a soft spot for cute kids and a really adorable pouty face.

Yifan sighed fondly and took the bag from Minseok's hands, peering inside.

"At least you got Crunch bars."

Minseok finally looked up at him, excited.

"I knew they were your favorite!"

Minseok leaned up and planted a loud kiss on Yifan's cheek. Yifan smiled down at him and returned the gesture.

"Well, we should probably get going."

Yifan walked on, swinging the plastic bag in his left hand. Minseok quickly grabbed onto his right, entwining their fingers with a practiced ease.

Both turned their heads away from the other, using their shoulders to hide secret grins.

~~~

It started raining after about half a block of walking.

It was a downpour of biblical proportions, water pooling in the cracks in the sidewalk and running down the street in a flood.

Mothers clutched their umbrellas in one hand and their children in the other, and old men gloomily trudged indoors from their shops.

Minseok and Yifan were soaked to the bone, not having brought an umbrella or worn water-resistant coats.

Yifan had tied off the top of the plastic bag to keep the boxes inside from dissolving, though he didn't know how much good it was doing.

He and Minseok tried to stay underneath shop front awnings as often as they could while still moving forward, but even that hardly helped.

Both men were shivering and a bit miserable, hair plastered to their foreheads and clothes sticking uncomfortably.

Seeing a small alley way formed between two souvenir shops, Yifan saw an opportunity to take a break from the pelting rain for a few minutes.

He pulled Minseok over to it, shuffling inside until both of them fit comfortably. It smelled a little dank, a little rotted, but bad smell was better than being continuously pummeled by frigid water. At least, that's how Yifan reasoned it.

Minseok grinned up at Yifan, teeth close the chattering.

"This is fun." He joked.

Yifan just snorted.

Minseok released Yifan's hand to rub his together, his fingers pale white. 

Yifan dropped the chocolate at his feet and sandwiched Minseok's hands between his own. He smiled at Minseok's grateful look before rubbing them, leaning forward occasionally to blow hot air over the icy digits.

It wasn't until Yifan saw Minseok's blush that he realized he was resting the tips of Minseok's fingers against his lower lip, still blowing. 

His own cheeks flamed bright red, and he closed his mouth, now just rubbing the smaller hands with his own.

The silence wasn't awkward or tense, but it was a bit expectant.

Minseok, always the aggressor, took the plunge.

He angled his head up just before Yifan angled his down, a warm current flowing through his body as their lips connected.

It was a chaste kiss, close-mouthed and gentle. It was far from their first, but their current situation made it feel special in a strange way both of them felt but neither tried to explain.

Like every other time Yifan kissed Minseok, he felt a thrill of giddiness rush through him. Something about Minseok's pretty, bow-shaped lips made him want to keep kissing them forever, never having to let go.

So maybe Yifan was a bit of a sap, whatever.

But breathing was a must, and the two eventually pulled away. They kept their foreheads together, though, not able to resist each other for too long.

Both were smiling like loons, so stupidly in love with each other it filled them to the brim and threatened to overflow.

They could have stayed there longer, standing in the dark in silence, but the cold eventually got to them, so they grabbed the plastic bag and went on their way.

 

 

A/N: So, like Yifan, I am a sappy loser. Comment if you liked it, hated it, or didn't care about it.