Laws and Lies

Asphyxiation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

May 31st, 2014. 11:24PM.

 

She wakes up at 9AM, and Kai is already gone. It’s a weekday, so he’s likely gone to school, she surmises. Shifting onto her back, she notes her phone’s flashing screen, and picks it up, scanning its surface.

 

From: Boss

 

New court case. Report to office ASAP.

 

To: Boss

 

Background?

 

From: Boss

 

Folder on your desk.

 

She interned at the most prestigious law firm in Korea. The position was beyond selective. She’d edged out thousands of other hopeful applicants.

 

In return for her brilliance, the firm paid her extremely well. Her work was well-worth that of a full-time employee’s, and her annual sum neared $100,000.

 

But she wasn’t satisfied. Ambition came to her as instinct, not as choice, and it pushed her through death and hell.

 

Ambition was a drug of its own.

 

She wasn’t going to stop in Korea. She had plans.

 

Plans to become internationally known.

 

Plans to work in America.

 

Plans to break convention.

 

She knew that one day, ambition was going to kill her.

 

But until then, ambition would be her fuel.

 

She swings her legs over the edge of her bed, and stumbles over to her bathroom. A quick brush of teeth, minimal makeup, and Listerine is applied.

 

She dresses in black jeans, black blazer, and black pumps, and grabs her black Hermes purse, before she sweeps out the door.

 

June 6th, 2014. 11:07PM.

 

(Scene: EXO eating lunch. Chen is eating his sandwich bemusedly, not really tasting anything. The other EXO members are conversing animatedly. Xiumin notices Chen’s silence.)

 

(Teasingly) “How’s the girl, Chen?”

The entire group falls into a hush in anticipation of his answer.

 

(Not noticing the attention) “She’s not here today . . . “

 

At these words, Kai,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter