all I wanted...

Come To Me (Little By Little)

(Please listen to Run-Nell)

 

 

 



14-year-old Kim Minseok pushed his way through the crowd of lethargic, irritated students early on the first day of the new school year, trying to reach his best and closest friend, Park Chaelyn. As he ran closer, he noticed her shielding her left arm from the jostling from the sea of people and the pained, saddened look on her face

"Hey Chaelyn, are you okay?" he hovered over her with concern as soon as he reached her side, worried no end.

She nodded tiredly, pulling the sleeves of her jersey down further. "Yeah, I'm fine." 

Minseok wasn't convinced by her reassuarances, surely something was wrong? Normally, he wouldn't have pushed the matter further, but Chaelyn's safety was threatened by whatever it was that was bothering her, he was certain of it - and besides, her arm was obviously hurt. "Are you sure, Chae, your arm-"

"It's fine, Minseok, really", Chaelyn snapped irritatedly, shocking Minseok. Chaelyn was never like this, what had happened between now and the last time he had seen her?

"I really think we should go get that checked ou-"

"No, please don't." Chaelyn's tone turned from angry to pleading, futher confusing Minseok. If she was hurt, then shouldn't she need to go to the hospital - wouldn't she want to?

"But I-"

"Please?"



 

"How could you do this to me?!"

Minseok easily dodged the book she threw at him in her fury. "I did it for you, Chaelyn, everything I have ever done and everything I ever will do is for you! It always has been, you know."

"I don't care, Minseok! I loved them, and now they're gone because of you! How could something that ruined me be in my best ineterests?!" Chaelyn screeched, her face twisted in anger, but yet still beautiful and pure.

"I hate you, Kim Minseok, I HATE YOU!"

Minseok broke inside

 



 

For the first time in years, Minseok felt truly angry, angry at the world, and angry at himself. How dare they, how could this happen, how did he not see? All the signs were there, yet he still coudn't see. "Chae, this isn't healthy! You can't keep living like this, you could di-"

Chaelyn smiled weakly despite the tears in her eyes and on her cheeks and the blood that mingled freely with them. "Minseok, it's alright, I promise."

"That's not what I'm seeing, Chae." Minseok softened his voice, gently tracing the scars she kept so well hidden for all this time

"Just trust me." She stated with an air of finality.

He wasn't given a choice.



 

"Don't say that, Chaelyn, you promised me that you wouldn't hate me if I told you." Minseok pleaded desperately. "Please, do anything, just don't hate me."

"You killed my parents, I think I have the right to hate you, promise or no promise." Chaelyn spat, venom seeping into her voice.

"They were hurting you, Chae, I needed to protect you at all costs."


 



 

"Chae, I have something to tell you. It's sorta a secret, so-" Minseok started hesitantly, unsure of how she would take it, unsure if she could even take it at all.

"Don't worry Seok, you can trust me on this." Minseok was glad to hear her voice devoid of sadness for once. It was hard for her these days, the bruises getting more visible. It was time for her to know - several hours had passed and she needed to from him before they were found.

"Are you sure you won't hate me?" 

 



 

"So, the day you said you were going to tell me that seceret, before I got the call, you were going to tell me that you killed my parents?" Chaelyn queried, still seething. "Why would you do that, you thought it would make me happy?" She scoffed in disbelief as Minseok nodded slowly.

"Because they hurt you, because I wanted to keep you safe no matter what, I had to do it."

"Why did you want to tell me, I wouldn't have hated you less if I had found out from you."

"You don't know that, maybe you would've."

"It still wouldnt've changed the fact that you killed my parents. They may have hurt me over that period of time, but I still love them, and I always will. You killing them was unnecessary."

"But would you be alive today if I hadn't done what I did?"



 

Before Minseok could continue, Chaelyn's phone rang. Upon answering, her face drained of colour. "What?! When, how?!"

Minseok's eyes widened. Did they find the bodies already? "Chae, what's wrong, who is it?"

"No, no, no, this can't be happening!"

"Chae, Chaelyn?" Minseok called out her name, but he didn't get any response from Chaelyn. 

"CHAELYN!"



 

"I can't stay here anymore knowing that you are my family's murderer." Chaelyn, answering Minseok's unsaid question at seeing her suitcase on her bed.

"Chaelyn, please don't leave me!" Minseok's vision blurred, but he couldn't ignore the sight of Chaelyn furiously stuffing her belongings into her bags. He couldn't ignore the fact that she was leaving.

"No Minseok, I can't do this anymore. This has to end, here and now." Chaelyn turned her head away from Minseok stiffly, unwilling to look at him. "Don't worry about me anymore. My cousin, Chanyeol, offered to let me stay at his place. He never did like you anyways. I should've listened to him."

"Goodbye, Minseok"

Minseok shattered for the last time



 

I'm so sorry, Chaelyn, all I wanted to do was protect you, all I wanted was your heart. I never meant to hurt you like I did. I will never regret what I did, but I will always regret losing you, losing your trust. All I wanted was your love. All I wanted was you. There is no reason to go on, not without you. So, today, I pay the price for my sins, in hopes that one day, you might forgive me. All I wanted was for you to love me, I never meant for this to happen. This is my final goodbye, Chaelyn. I love you, I always have, so please, never forget me.

Minseok steadied himself and took a deep breath.

He let the last traces of sadness go and let the air embrace him.

Minseok was falling.