for how long...

Come To Me (Little By Little)

Please listen to Slip Away-Nell



Minseok was happy.

He had everything he needed-a good life, a nice house, his income wasn't at all low, and most importantly, he had his beloved Chaelyn with him, safe and out of harms way. What more could he possibly ask?

Minseok was never really particularly fussy, and was always generally easy to please, so of course, he was happy with what he had. 

He was content, his Chaelyn was coming back to him, slowly, but surely - she spoke more often, her smiles weren't so fake and insincere as they used to be, and she laughed genuinely for the first time in months.

There were still the times when she would stare into space and reverted back to the Chaelyn he never wanted to see again; the cold, distant, sad Chaelyn. On those days, he'd despair, but he could do nothing more than just hope that it would pass, and pray that she would do nothing drastic, not at least without talking to him first.

Those days became rarer and rarer, and so, Minseok felt that it was finally time.

She had to know.



 

Chae, I have something to tell you. It's sorta a secret, so-

Don't worry Seok, you can trust me on this

Are you sure you won't hate me?

 



 

Standing in the doorway of her room, Minseok cleared his throat awkwardly, trying to gain Chaelyn's attention without him actually having to speak, which proved difficult due to Chaelyn's single-mindedness. After a few more fake coughs, Chaelyn finallly raised her head, looking away from the book in her hands and smiled warmly at Minseok.

"Hmm, what is it?"

His heart stuttered at her smile and benevolent words.

"Do you remember the day it happened?"

A pained look crossed her face, but quickly faded. Minseok felt terrible for reminding her. "Of course I do, why?"

"Do you remember me telling you that day that I had a secret? I wanted to tell you then, but that didn't quite work out. I still want to tell you, so-"

Chaelyn gazed at him with an emotion he couldn't seem to place. "You can tell me anything, Seok, anytime. It's the least I can do, since you've done so much for me."

"Are you sure you won't hate me if I tell you?"

"I could never hate you for anything, Minseok, never." There was that look again. 

It confused Minseok. 

He pushed aside his confusion and accurately threw the thin envelope he had been carrying with him for the ast two years in her direction with a sharp flick of his wrist; Chaelyn caught it effortlessly in her right hand in a deft, fluid movement.

"Read it."

Minseok fled the room hurredly, not wanting to be present as she read what he had been unable to say, his secret of two years.

Forgive my cowardice.

 



 

What?! When, how?!

Chae, what's wrong, who is it?

No, no, no, this can't be happening!

Chae, Chaelyn?

CHAELYN!

 



 

Minseok flinched at the piercing shrek that reverberated through the house and ricocheted long after it had ended, the raw pain, horror and betrayal echoing painfully in his head.

Minseok was terrified.