| Stunning

Unfinished Symphony

 


Oh sweet heart, you can't change. You can't be enough. You never will be. 


 

Blur. 

The days passed in a haze as if everything was in slow motion. Tiny voices echoing in her mind made her head pound as they whispered incoherent words to her, words that only add onto the pain and made her condition even worse than it already is.

Her body was still, almost lifeless as she lay on her bed but her mind was bizarre with all sorts of jumbled thoughts running through it. All the memories came crashing down on her, threatening to squeeze the very life out of her. 

She shut her eyes tight. 

Fragmented pieces of his smile, the distinct warmth of his hands, every single detail of his very being broke down into shards and stabbed her right where her soul was at its weakest. 

Rejection was never easy to handle, especially when you had unknowingly given your heart, your soul away to that one person who picked it up, breathed life into it, only to run away with it. He stole a piece of her heart away with him without knowing. He made her heartbeat quicken its pace without knowing. He sent electrical pulses to her just by touching her fingers without knowing. He gave her false hope, without knowing. 

Sulli couldn't figure out why it hurt so much. She never realised she had fallen so deep. 

For the countless time, Sulli reached out and flipped her phone over while her eyes were still closed. The ringing in her ears automatically stopped and she let out a sigh of relief. She couldn't bear to open her eyes and let reality sink in, because the moment she does so, she would have to accept the fact that this wasn't just a sick joke. This wasn't the worst nightmare she had, this was reality. 

Gripping onto the edge of her thin blanket, Sulli gradually fluttered her eyes open. A week has passed. She had been numb and bed ridden eversince. She hadn't ate much either, perhaps only vitamin water that her father had sent in at least five times everyday because she did not have the will to eat. 

Where is it that I'm not enough? Am I not skinny enough? Am I not pretty enough? 

She does not even want to think anymore. It only makes it worse.

But even so, the rational side of her forced her to process actuality. As Sulli does so, she realised that letting herself continue being like this would only raise the concern of everyone else. She realised that even in times like this life still goes on. Time doesn't stop. You get hurt for a while, but that is it. You have to make the first move to put everything behind you, no matter how much you struggle doing so. 

Sulli stripped her blanket off and slowly stood up. 

 

These feelings for her would probably take less time to get rid of, because these come from the heart, and time heals the inner wounds of the heart. 

What roots from the mind though, is not as easy to overcome. It is a constant battle that could last for months, years, forever. 

All eyes were drawn upon the new student as she walked in casually with a seemingly cheerful and bubbly aura. She smiled widely to them before fumbling around her bag only to fish out a piece of crumpled paper; her time table. Looking around her surroundings, she walked towards where she thought her contemporary class might be. Alas, while studying her map she bumped into a young man in his 20s, who looked like he was looking for someone. 

"Oh, hello there! Sorry, I was looking at my map trying to find my class." The girl said, waiting for the man to reply as he stared at her. She grew a little uncomfortable. 

"Um, alright. I gotta run. See you somewhere!" The girl sped off without even looking back as the man's eyes  followed her figure until she disappeared. 

He felt his stomach turn inside. It was something he hadn't felt for a long time.

Jinki felt attracted to her. 

 

Sulli tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear while making her way down to the studio just a few feets away from her now. She did notice the missed calls and text messages from Ms.Song, her choreographer. She hoped she wouldn't be angry with her for not attending class for a week. 

She entered her class discreetly. Today was group practise and solo practise, so other dancers were gathered as well. Ms.Song's eyes widened when she saw Sulli approach her. 

"I'm sorry for being absent last week, Ms.Song, please forgive me. I will work very hard this week to catch up." 

"Oh, Sulli. I was so worried of you. What happened?" 

"Some things occurred, Miss. I apologise." Sulli was a little surprised that Ms.Song hadn't scolded her but she bowed nonetheless. 

"That's alright. I'm glad you're doing okay now. Come on, let's get practising." 

Everyone more or less knew Sulli because she's one of the star dancers in contemporary. Many asked for her advice and many even thought of her as a role model. It's nice to know people think of her like that, but it sometimes also contributes to the pressure on her shoulders. 

Suddenly someone barged into the studio, cutting off Ms.Song's words as she explained the story of a particular choreography. All heads turned. 

"Ah, I'm really sorry for barging in like that," the petite girl said with an apologetic smile, "I'm the new student." Ms.Song only smiled at the girl who dyed her hair a shade close to blond. Her eyes seem to sparkle when she smiles.

"Well, what's your name, young lady?" 

"I'm Sunyoung. Park Sunyoung. Nice to meet you all!" Her smile was returned by many as they couldn't help but to immediately like her personality. Ms.Song was pleased that the other dancers seem to welcome her warmly. 

 

Sunyoung, the new girl, took a seat beside Sulli on the floor. 

"Hi," she whispered. Sulli replied with a smile before focusing her attention on Ms.Song. 

"Now, where was I up to? Ah yes, this story is about falling in love. Recall your teenage years, bring out a sense of purity and innocence when you dance to this piece. If you've fallen in love before, it would be easier for you to convey these themes to your audience, but even if you hadn't you should still be able to. Just imagine yourself in a situation like that and listen to the music carefully. Is that clear?" Everyone mumbled a 'yes' before getting on their feets, ready to learn the routine. 

Surprisingly for some, Sunyoung was able to grasp the routine very quickly and perform it well. Even Ms.Song was impressed. When they did it all together, she was extremely synchronised with the music, every beat and rhythm, it was there. She definitely outshone the others. She was almost as good as Sulli herself. 

After group practises were done, it was finally time for solo routines. Everyone went to their respective classes while Sulli stayed, since she has the same class. She caught a break out of murmurs about how great Sunyoung was on her first day and she felt a little uncomfortable. 

It only grew when someone came up to her and said, "That new girl is pretty good, isn't she? Looks like you have competition, Sulli." She tried hard to brush it off with a humble smile, agreeing with what that person had said. 

 

"Sulli, I should probably tell you that we have a new pianist here. He's very intelligent and is currently a part time pianist here while he's on his last year studying music," Ms.Song spoke after they were left alone. 

"What happened to Mr.Park?" Mr.Park was undeniably one of the best pianist that had ever been in this school, so Sulli felt slightly let down that he wasn't going to be there to play amazing music for another year for her.

"He resigned because of personal issues. I'm sure you can understand that. For now, it will be young Mr.Choi who I think, should be here any minute." Sulli didn't feel thrilled, but she did feverishly hope that he doesn't just sound as if he's really good at playing but actually is. After all, he's still pretty young. 

A few moments later a knock could be heard before the doorknob turned. Ms.Song turned and smiled at a well-dressed man that had just entered the room. Unlike most young pianists here, this one doesn't smile much and has big eyes that resembled a frog. He ran his hand through his unstyled hair as his lips curved into a tiny smile. 

"Hello Ms.Song, we meet again," his deep voice echoed in the room, "I'm Choi Minho, your new pianist." This one was directed to Sulli. He didn't extend his hand or bow, just a little nod. Sulli supposed he was older than her. 

"Just Sulli." She returned him a small smile as well. Ms.Song sensed that this was the end of their introduction so she quickly ushered Minho to the piano at the corner of the room and told him to make himself comfortable. She then walked to the side and sat on a chair, waiting for both of them to get ready. 

Soon, Minho asked politely if Sulli was warmed up and ready. When she nodded her head, he started playing. Initially, Ms.Song had told Sulli that there was a change in music, and the routine was altered. The plot of the story was similar to the group practise they just had. 

A familiar music was played, the tune flowing gracefully through all corners of the room as it struck Sulli hard in the heart. It was Jinki's favourite song, only that this was in instrumental version. All of a sudden her rational being started to wither away, bringing all the feelings back again. It felt like dejávu. Sulli looked desperate when she glanced towards Ms.Song, as if she was begging for her to ask him to stop playing, but she wasn't there. She had left the room for some unknown reason, leaving Sulli to dance with a heartache growing in her guts. 

She tried. She really did. She tried hard not to scream for him to stop, because it would be plain rude, but the music kept on going. It kept hurting her. Everything was crashing down. When she could not take it anymore, she collapsed, hugging her knees as she squatted on the floor. 

Minho was quick to realise this because he was stunned by her dancing. The way her brown orbs reflected so much emotions, so much hurt just fits right in with the song. Her steps were graceful but at the same time intense; she knew her rhythm right.  She was just... Stunning to him.

So when she stopped dancing, he immediately noticed this and stopped playing. He walked towards her quickly when he heard sobs, desperate sobs. 

 

Sulli didn't know how much time had past since she had been crying her heart out. It just occurred to her that she hadn't cried eversince the rejection. At that moment she felt so cold like she was snow, lonely with no one to pick up her broken pieces, until she felt something warm hugging her, protecting her frail figure. 

She melted into that person's embrace and wished she never had to let go. Ever. 

 


| Author's Note 

So, the awaited Minho has finally made an appearance as well as Luna(Sunyoung)! Fingers crossed you guys are liking this story so far, there is so much more to come. I've never fallen in love before, cause I'm still realllyy young to, but I do have a senior friend that has, and so she vaguely explained her feelings and I was able to write this out in my own words. Don't worry though, it is purely my writing. If you guys liked it, please comment. It would make me really happy! 

See you soon! 

P.S. Ms.Song is f(x)'s Victoria, in case you might be wondering. 

 

R o b i n -