Chapter 5

When I Lay Me Down To Sleep

The next morning Minseok woke up to the smell of coffee brewing and a pleasant warmth across his thighs. 

He wanted to stay where he was, sleepy and content, but a nagging pain in his lower back forced him to take action.

It was only when he looked down to see Yifan sound asleep in his lap that he remembered the events of the previous night.

Minseok couldn't help but grin dopily down at Yifan. He heroically resisted the very strong urge to brush the man's bangs out of his eyes, wanting to see his soft face, for once peaceful in sleep.

His stupid grin stayed on his face even as he shuffled awkwardly sideways out from underneath Yifan's head, using a pillow as a replacement for his lap. He stretched half heartedly as he trudged over to the hall closet, retrieving a wool blanket. He used it to cover Yifan, tucking the edges in around his long body.

He went to the kitchen to distract himself, not wanting to be stuck staring at Yifan's sleeping form with hearts in his eyes for too long.

Inside he was met with Yixing and his quizzical brow, leaning against the counter with a cup of steaming coffee in his hand.

Minseok tried to will the blush away, but by Yixing's smirk, he knew he wasn't successful.

He went to retrieve a mug from the cupboard, hiding his face in the process, but was stopped by a pointed cough from Yixing. 

The dancer nodded to a second cup beside him on the counter.

Minseok smiled his thanks and picked it up, welcoming the warmth that seeped through his palms. 

"So, is he better?"

Yixing's voice was all seriousness now, and his face was set in a look of stern worry.

How Minseok loved Yixing in that moment.

"He's better."

Minseok's voice held an audible relief that the ever observant Yixing picked up on.

"Good."

Minseok nodded his agreement.

Yixing pushed off the counter and walked over to Minseok, patting him on the shoulder with one broad hand before leaving to his room, pausing to tuck a corner of blanket around Yifan just a bit closer.

Minseok sipped his coffee and pondered last night's turn of events.

His prediction had been right, Yifan was having nightmares. What about, was the question. The one the previous night had obviously been about the members in trouble.

That would have upset Minseok, too. It would have any of the other men, for that matter.

Their group in particular was known for their closeness. When one was hurting, another was ready to ease the pain. When one was broken, all the others were willing to pick up the pieces.

All except Yifan of course.

When Yifan broke, he collected his own pieces and glued himself back together.

Well, if Minseok had anything to say about it, that was going to stop. As of right now.

Minseok was not willing to let Yifan keep self-destructing any more.

Yifan was not alone. He had Minseok by his side now, who was ready to brave any coming storm with him.

Minseok was a man of his word, always had been. And that Saturday morning, with his heart full to bursting with an emotion he not yet dare name, he made a promise. This promise was not a light one.

Minseok promised,then and there, that whenever Yifan needed him, whether or not he wanted him, he would be there. Rain or shine, sleet or snow, in love or in hate, he would be at Yifan's side.

Looking over at Yifan's peaceful face, soft and contented and resting, Minseok realized something.

Keeping this particular promise would be no hardship.

~~~

Yifan slept for four more hours that day.

There was one point where it could have gotten messy, but Minseok hurriedly put a stop to it.

He and Jongdae were sitting on the floor in front of the couch, watching mindless television on mute with the subtitles on. Minseok's left hand was behind his head, gently grasping Yifan's long fingers.

Jongdae tactfully pretended not to notice.

About halfway through an episode of whatever drama they were pretending to watch, Yifan's fingers started to tighten minutely.

Minseok turned around, excited, thinking Yifan was waking up.

But the younger man's eyes were still closed, and a deep furrow had formed between his drawn eyebrows. His mouth was open and frowning, and his eyes were moving rapidly beneath his lids.

Minseok hurried to turn his whole body around. He leaned over Yifan, still kneeling in front of the couch.

He put his lips to Yifan's ear, murmuring reassurances and platitudes. He kept a tight hold of Yifan's hand with his right, using his left to rub soothing circles over the sleeping man's blotchy red cheeks.

Out of the corner of his eye, Mineok saw Jongdae rubbing gently on Yifan's back, humming a child's lullaby.

After a few more seconds, Yifan had resumed sleeping peacefully, the wrinkles on his forehead fading away and his death grip on Minseok's hand loosening.

The acrid taste of fear left Minseok's mouth as he sat back, keeping his eyes trained on Yifan's face for any further signs of distress.

Minseok felt Jongdae drop a hand into his shoulder, so he looked up at him.

'He's fine,' Jongdae mouthed, grinning impishly.

Minseok grinned back and nodded, embarrassed.

Jongdae ruffled his hyung's hair, ducking away from the playful fist swung at his legs.

He gave a mock salute before turning on his heel, and leaving Minseok to his promise.

~~~

Three months later, Yifan had slept peacefully every single night.

He attributed it solely to the fact that Minseok and Jongdae switched rooms, allowing Yifan to spend every night in the arms of his protector.

He had regained his appetite, and with it all the muscle mass he had lost. His cheeks were once again full and flushed with color, and his smile returned with all its former glory.

Everyone had noticed the change.

Yixing smiled at him across the table during dinner, kicking him viciously under the table as he did so. Lu Han let him sit on his bed. For thirty seconds, but whatever. It was a big step.

Jongdae slapped him on the back in the hall, beaming proudly at him and Minseok. Yifan had a feeling the little man knew more than he was letting on, but he didn't question it.

Zitao was the most... tactile, with his support. He clung to Yifan's side like moss on a rock, and often had to be pried off lest he climb into the shower with Yifan nightly. Not like it hadn't happened before (or since).

The most noticeable change in relationship, however, was his with Minseok.

Minseok and him had definitely become closer during the ordeal. They were almost always touching now. Holding hands during a movie, bumping shoulders during dinner, sitting thigh to thigh on Yifan's bed, talking about what ever they wanted too.

They hadn't started calling themselves anything yet, nor did they plan too.

They were content just being them. Minseok and Yifan, together.

And together they were.

Minseok had never felt as close to somebody as he did Yifan. 

Right now they were lying on Minseok's bed, facing each other.

Yifan's hand was settled comfortably on Minseok's hip, his index finger teasing the strip of pale skin revealed above his belt.

Minseok's hand curved around the  white length of Yifan's neck, feeling the reassuring pulse of his life through his palm.

Looking into Yifan's soft, dark eyes, feeling his heart swell with an emotion he now comfortably called love, Minseok had a thought.

Keeping his promise, Minseok knew, would be no hardship.

 

A/N: Well, this is the end of When I Lay, folks! Hope it was as fun for you as it was for me;D Your comments were all so wonderful, thank you so much! A sequel, fluffier to the extreme, might be in the cards, it depends on demand. See you later!