Embracing

First rain

Kyuhyun couldnt sleep at all and kept tossing and turning in his bed. He sure didnt have any inkling of discomfort or anything related to his health. He tossed to his left and saw Thomas sleeping soundly beside him. Reaching out with his hand, he the soft hair of the puppy as it squirmed slightly in its sleep. Lying flat on his back, he stretched out his limbs and stared sleeplessly at the ceiling. The ceiling fan hummed as it rotated while Kyuhyun recalled what had happened earlier that day. Siwon had slowly but surely started to make a mark in his life and it was no doubt that Kyuhyun was enamoured by his looks. The gorgeous pair of dimples as he smiled warmly at Kyuhyun and his soothing barritone with which he greeted him everyday made his heart race. Kyuhyun had wondered countless times how a guy as charming and good looking as Siwon had no girlfriend at all. Now that he thought about it, Siwon had never mentioned anything about him being committed to a girl in his life and for some strange reason Kyuhyun had deemed Siwon to be utterly trustworthy. He thought that Siwon wouldnt shy away from revealing something as major as being in a relationship now that they have gotten so close to each other. But then again he thought about the conversations that he had had previously with Siwon so far and none of them involved talking about matters of the heart. He sighed heavily.

 

He rose from his bed and sat up straight. He was now dealing with conflicting points of view of both his heart and mind. His mind was telling him to go ahead and ask if Siwon was indeed in a relationship while his heart rebelled against it. After a few more minutes of pondering over the issue, he finally set his mind to listen to his heart. He decided not to bring up the issue with Siwon as he did not want to sound so eager and all too willing. Afterall, he had only started realising his own feelings about the handsome clerk. He decided to take it slow and easy and not rush it right away. Reaching over to the glass of water on the bedside table, he drank it and sank into his soft bed. Though it seemed difficult, he forced his body to relax and fall asleep as he couldnt afford to doze off in the middle of an important exam the next day.

 

The next day, Kyuhyun woke up to the sound of footsteps that came faintly from outside his bedroom. He rose from his bed lazily and went outside and found the door to Hankyung's room opened widely. As he made his way into the living room, he saw his teacher lounging on one of the couches speaking to someone over the phone in a hurry.

 

"Seon..seonsangnim! You've returned!?" Kyuhyun asked.

 

"Ah! Good morning Kyun-ah. Sorry that I couldnt make it last night. I tried my best but the refurbishment was taking time." Hankyung said as he snapped his phone shut.

 

"Thats alright! I think I can manage without having you around to be honest!" Kyuhyun chirped.

 

"Ah really now! So you plan to kick me out of my own house, you brat!" Hankyung lunged forward and rubbed his knuckles playfully on Kyuhyun's head.

 

"Ow! That hurts seonsangnim. Let me go, I have an exam today and I need to get ready!" Kyuhyun struggled in his teacher's grasp.

 

"You sound awfully cheery today! Am I missing something?" Hankyung urged.

 

Kyuhyun knew the reason why he had been so happy lately. And as he thought more about it, he failed miserably at suppressing a blush painting his cheeks red. Hankyung glanced at Kyuhyun as he had his head hung low out of embarassment. A few seconds later Kyuhyun lifted his head and lied "Its just that I had done my exam well yesterday. So I am happy about it!"

 

"Oh..o..kay. Well good for you! I know that you had been managing your studies and your skating very efficiently and I cant tell you how proud I am that you're giving your best at both!" Hankyung said and ruffled Kyuhyun's hair again.

 

"Now go get ready! I'll drop you at your college on my way.." Hankyung said while Kyuhyun disagreed fiercely by nodding his head to and fro.

 

"No need for that. I..I..uh..I am gonna be taking the bus to college from now." Kyuhyun said shyly as Hankyung cocked his eyebrow in surprise.

 

"But Kyun-ah.." Hankyung began but Kyuhyun interrupted "Thats alright seonsangnim. I kinda enjoy going by bus. So...Please!" And soon Hankyung easily got persuaded by Kyuhyun's non-stop pleas.

 

"Alright then! If you are ok with it, I guess I am too!" Hankyung sighed. Kyuhyun smiled victoriously and sauntered back into his room to get dressed. The housekeepers took away Thomas for a nice bath while Kyuhyun busied himself with breakfast at the dining table. The puppy stared helplessly at its master and barked non-stop as a means of voicing its protest against his bath. It kicked and squirmed helplessly within the maid's grasp and continuously reached for Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun couldnt help but giggle at its cuteness. After finishing his breakfast, Kyuhyun approached the puppy and said "I know you dont like bathing Thomas! But please understand thats its only for the good of both of us." It barked again and stopped thrashing immediately and the maid took it for bathing.

 

"I'll be going then! Bye seonsangnim!" Kyuhyun yelled as he headed outside.

 

"Be careful Kyun-ah. Do you have your emergency medicines with you?" Hankyung enquired as he followed him out.

 

"Yes. I do! I'll be on my way now. Bubye!" Kyuhyun said. And as he made his way out the front gate, he saw Siwon waiting for him a few metres away. He blushed as his heart sped up at a frantic pace. He shook his head and suppressed his nervousness so as not to make it blatantly obvious towards his object of affection,

 

As he approached Siwon, he was welcomed with a heartwarming dimpled smile. Siwon couldnt help but smile lovingly at the young skater and greeted "Good morning Kyuhyun!"

 

"Um..uh..G..Good morning Siwon. Were you waiting for me?" he asked shyly and mentally slapped himself for sounding like a lovesick school girl.

 

Why are you stuttering? Just be yourself, you idiot!

 

"Uh! Yes I was waiting for you. I thought that we could go together since we both are boarding the same bus! So..shall we?" Siwon asked.

 

"Uh sure! Lets go". Kyuhyun and Siwon walked side by side and talked to each other till the bus arrived. Even in the bus, they continued chatting like old friends as they sat next to each other until they arrived at Siwon's office. He bid adieu to Kyuhyun before getting down from the bus. With a contended smile, Kyuhyun looked forward for the joyous days that lie ahead for him, especially with Siwon by his side.

 

He wrote his exams well as usual and was talking to Jonghyun, one of his college friends.

 

"So have you thought about taking anyone to the summer festival yet?" Jonghyun asked Kyuhyun.

 

"What? Summer festival? I completely forgot about it!" Kyuhyun said.

 

"Tch! You always stay busy with your skating! Why dont you think about girls for a change Kyun-ah?" Jonghyun whined.

 

"Look, if you and I both dont have a date by the end of this week, we'll go together and have fun! Just a relaxing guy time together! What do you say?" Jonghyun urged.

 

"Alright fine! I'll let you know soon. Now bye!" Kyuhyun said and left for home. And as he was waiting for his bus to arrive he was just struck with an idea like lightning. The whole prospect of tagging along with someone for the festival lit the imaginary bulb somewhere in the farthest corner of Kyuhyun's mind. And the person currently in his mind was Siwon. That is, if he doesnt already have someone in mind that he wishes to take.

 

And once his bus arrived, he got into it and settled in his usual seat wondering if it would be alright to ask Siwon. He was so immersed in thought that he didnt even notice that Siwon had taken his place beside him. Sensing Kyuhyun's obliviousness, Siwon waved in front of Kyuhyun's face "Hello!!! Kyuhyun. Where have you drifted off to?"

 

That made him snap out of his thoughts. "Oh! Siwon. When did you...?"

 

"Whats the matter? You didnt even notice me getting in! Is something the matter?" Siwon asked out of concern.

 

What should I do? Should I ask him now? Maybe later! But what if....what if it becomes too late??

 

"Kyu...hyun...."Siwon snapped his fingers this time.  "Ah! I am sorry. I was just ....uh...thinking about practise today. Yeah!" Kyuhyun trailed off but Siwon's worried look didnt tide over.

 

I will ask him tomorrow...There are still two days left for the festival to begin anyway!

 

As soon as their stop arrived, both dismounted from the bus and started walking leisurely towards their home. But Siwon suddenly stopped in front of a cafe on the way and asked "Would you care for some coffee?"

 

Kyuhyun nodded in agreement and they both went in and took one of the tables near the entrance. Siwon ordered a piping hot americano and club sandwich while Kyuhyun settled for an Oreo frappe. As he sipped his beverage, Siwon couldnt help but wonder why Kyuhyun had been nervous and fidgety about something. Several times he noticed Kyuhyun bringing himself together with great difficulty to say something and then retracting and scowling inwardly in annoyance. Although Siwon found his gestures quite adorable this was the first time he had ever seen this much hesitation and nervousness within the young boy. At one point Siwon had had enough as he placed the cup of half finished americano gingerly on top of the table and looked straight in the eyes of his crush. He watched how beautifully a visible blush bloomed on Kyuhyun's face and how his enchanting brown eyes were clearly out of focus. It seemed like the boy was desperately trying to look elsewhere avoiding Siwon's gaze while sipping his frappe in hurry. And so he reached forward and pulled the straw away from Kyuhyun's lips diverting his attention back to him.

 

"Whats going on Kyuhyun? I've been watching you for the past 15 minutes and I can clearly say that you wanna tell me something." Siwon began.

 

"Um..Well..thats" Kyuhyun began and his lips in reflex.

 

"Go on..I am all ears!" Siwon urged as he propped up his elbow on top of the table giving full attention to what Kyuhyun was about to tell him.

 

Sighing heavily, Kyuhyun said "Do you....I mean...Can you..uh..the..the festival...." Kyuhyun felt like his whole world was crashing down on him and that he just caved in a hundred feet under as he cringed and shrivelled at his own senseless stuttering. He hid his face within his palms and curled into a flustered ball as he rested his head on top of table thereby alerting Siwon's senses that something was indeed wrong with him. Siwon was almost convinced to get up from his seat and take a look for himself when Kyuhyun raised his head and looked visibly calmed down.

 

"Are you seriously alright? You're worrying me here!" Siwon said.

 

"No..no..I mean...I am alright. No need to worry. I really wanted to ask you something. So, here..I go!" Kyuhyun said and breathed in deeply.

 

"Since I dont have a date, I was wondering if you could come with me to the summer festival this weekend, if you arent busy and um...if..you...dont have...someone..else in..mind" Kyuhyun mentally congratulated himself for making a fantastic comeback with his boldness but couldnt help but let his voice falter at the end.

 

"Umm..Ha ha..ha ha ha ha..ha " Siwon began laughing like a maniac leaving Kyuhyun to wonder what it was that he had found so amusing at this moment.

 

On the verge of choking on his own saliva, Siwon coughed slightly and calmed down as he struggled to get back his voice. "Of course I would go with you. I am free this weekend and to be honest, I was about to ask you the same all along."

 

Kyuhyun's jaw dropped in shock. He was secretly hi-fiving himself after learning the fact that Siwon had been mustering up the courage to ask him himself.

 

"And frankly since I am single, I dont have anyone else in mind whom I'd wish to take either. So yeah...I would be more than happy to go with you!" Siwon reassured.

 

Talk about killing two birds with one stone....I just wanted to know if he would accompany me and here he is telling me that he is single as well!

 

"Thank you for agreeing Siwon. But its too hard believing the fact that someone as ...um..good looking as you is still single though!" Kyuhyun said as he set the glass aside after finishing his drink.

 

He thinks I am good looking! Wow! Way to go, lover boy! Siwon couldnt suppress his smirk.

 

"Well..um..thats..I wasnt single to be exact! I had a girlfriend back in college. Well lets just say that she got bored of me and dumped me for a businessman." Siwon said.

 

Me and my big mouth! Why did I have to ask him? Now I've made him sad! Kyuhyun thought.

 

"I am sorry..Siwon...I shouldnt have...." As Kyuhyun began apologising, Siwon suddenly grabbed his hands and said "Hey! Please dont feel guilty. Its all in the past now. Truth be told but with great difficulty I've managed to move on."

 

Reality dawned upon him when he glanced down to find his hands grasping the slender ones of Kyuhyun so he let go. Kyuhyun was happy that Siwon had found the courage to move on but several more questions kept nagging him at the corner of his mind. Was Siwon completely over his disastrous maiden relationship? Has he found anyone already? If not, then was he ready to be in a second one? Does Siwon feel the same about him? Would he consider accepting his feelings?

 

I am thinking selfishly....Of course he has to take a breather after suffering from a heartbreak!

I cant ask him now....I simply cant confess now.....It would be like forcing myself on him!

 

People say that friendship is the first step towards a beautiful relationship and that it can be made possible only when the concerned persons get closer to one another and know each other like the back of their hands. Hence Kyuhyun decided to maintain his close friendship with Siwon for as long as he could go. Finishing up their refreshments, both proceeded walking towards their homes as Siwon told him the whole story of his first ever brutal heartbreak. Kyuhyun felt sympathetic towards him and furthered his conviction to stay quiet for now. As they reached Kyuhyun's house, Siwon said "Thank you for listening to my sob story. I cant tell you how relieved I am to have shared this with you."

 

"Ha! What are friends for? If you ever feel the need to share anything at all, I am always there for you! And uh...I just realised that I dont have your contact number, so would you mind giving me?" Kyuhyun asked as he opened the front gates to get in.

 

"Of course not. I'll give you right away" Siwon agreed and both exchanged their numbers.

 

"So, um...you're practising indoors again today?" Siwon asked.

 

"You sure are desperate to watch me practise, arent you?" Kyuhyun said and giggled.

 

More like desperate for a chance to see you again!

 

"Unfortunately yes! But dont worry I'll make it to the rink from next week, I promise!" Kyuhyun cheered him up.

 

"Alright! I'll see you tomorrow. Good night!" Siwon said and left for his house. As Kyuhyun headed inside he was bombarded with questions by Hankyung on why he was late and such.

 

"I am sorry. I was hungry so I went to the nearby cafe with.....Siwon" Kyuhyun said as Hankyung caught sight of his blushing face.

 

"You like him, dont you kiddo?" Hankyung asked out of the blue.

 

"Seon..seonsangnim...how did...." Kyuhyun stuttered.

 

"Ah come on! I've been living with you for the past 5 years! You seriously didnt think that I'd be able to read you like a book? Especially when you've been talking him up and smiling at him lovingly like that for the past 15 minutes at the doorstep?" Hankyung said. He led them both to the living room and sat down beside Kyuhyun on the couch.

 

"Sooo...have you told him yet? That you like him!" he urged.

 

"You..you mean...its ok...to like him? You dont have a problem with it?" Kyuhyun asked in return. Hankyung draped an arm around his shoulder and ruffled his hair.

 

"Of course kiddo! Why would you think I'd have a problem with it? You sincerely like him and he seems to be a pretty genuine guy to me! Now tell me, have you told him yet?" Kyuhyun couldnt believe his ears. He surely hadnt hoped that his teacher would approve of his feelings.

 

"Not yet seonsangnim. He's had a pretty bad breakup and I dont think he would be even thinking of being in a second one. And I didnt want to sound so eager and willing and end up suffocating him in the process. So for the record, we're just good friends. We even exchanged numbers, see!" Kyuhyun chirped.

 

"And well...he even agreed to go with me to the festival this weekend." he added.

 

"He did? Really? I sense something cooking up! So who asked first?" Hankyung nudged Kyuhyun.

 

"I am thinking that you're the one who's most excited about all this. I asked him first but he said that he had wanted to ask me way before!" Kyuhyun said.

 

"Hm...Interesting. There is a possibility that he feels the same about you too, 'ya know!" Kyuhyun guffawed as soon as he listened to his teacher saying that.

 

"I wouldnt keep my hopes up yet if I were you! Although the prospect of such a thing being true would be great. But for now, its just friendship. Pure and unadulterated! " Kyuhyun said.

 

"Good for you that he agreed anyway! Shall we move to the practise room now. You've already skipped two days' worth of practise!" Hankyung said.

 

" 'Be there in half an hour." Kyuhyun said and went inside his room.

 

His phone beeped suddenly as he received a message from Jonghyun saying that he wouldnt be able to make it to the festival this weekend on account of his grandmother's illness.

 

Talk about things falling in place..Kyuhyun wondered and texted his reply that he had decided to go to the festival with a friend of his from the neighbourhood.

 

Things were indeed starting to fall in place for Kyuhyun and he couldnt stop himself from getting excited for this weekend.


Another update guys...I cant tell you how happy I am with the response that this story has managed to receive from all of you.

I have so many stories lined up for completion and cant even concentrate on updating one without interruptions, so please bear with me and kindly forgive me if my updates get slow and sloppy! I'll try my best to update other stories as well once I find time!

As for now, enjoy this latest chapter and stay tuned for the next one in a few days! Love ya'll..<3