Relishing

First rain

Siwon held the umbrella tightly in his hands so that it might not be blown away by the wind. He still couldnt bring himself to realise the fact that the one who had him enamoured this much since yesterday had actually lent him his umbrella for the rain. Smiling in thought, he walked further and finally reached his house.

 

Removing his wet loafers, he folded the umbrella and let it rest near the entrance for the water to drip down. Having a last look at it, he went inside and as soon as he had done that, his mom questioned him.

 

"I was getting so worried and you didnt even take your umbrella with you!" his mom said as Siwon freed himself off his cardigan and searched for a towel to wipe himself.

 

"Thats alright mom. Someone lent me their umbrella."Siwon said and sat down on the dining table.

 

"I am so starving right now. Whats for dinner?" he asked as he tapped his fingers impatiently on the table.

 

"By the way, the one who lent you their umbrella....A friend of yours?" his mom asked curiously.

 

"Ahmm...you ..could say that!" Siwon said as his mom came back from the kitchen carrying a bowl of rice and an assortment of side dishes. Taking his chopsticks, he shovelled the food into his mouth and ate heartily.

 

"By the way! Where is dad?" Siwon asked as his mom returned with his plates to the kitchen.

 

"He was waiting for you all along but you were taking time. So I asked him to have his dinner and go to bed early." his mom said.

 

Siwon was attached to his dad a lot more. Right from his childhood he received maximum love and affection from his dad. He would take him out to parks to play baseball, let him play on the swings and let him ride on his shoulders when he was a young boy. Siwon recalled how his dad had been so distraught when he had been depressed on account of his breakup. Of course, its no denying that Jessica had mercilessly trampled over his heart but now things were about to change and he could just feel it. He promised to himself that he would never ever be the source of his parents' grief. He would live his new life and treasure every moment of it like one should.

 

"Good night mom......I love you" Siwon said and hugged his mom tightly from the back as she washed the dishes. Clutching tightly onto her son's arms, she smiled and she said "I love you too, Siwon-ah"

 

He made way upstairs to call it a day. Right then he received a message from Donghae who was currently busy with a photoshoot in Busan.

 

Cant sleep coz of this never ending photoshoot. Grrr...>(

I know you have office tomorrow so I'll have mercy on you....Good night!..Sleep well..:)

 

"Ah! This guy! Seriously! Cant stick to one place for more than 5 minutes!" Siwon said for himself and smiled recalling Donghae's jumpiness and hyper active demeanour.

 

Almost as if on cue, his thoughts went back to the wonderful evening that he had with his "Ice prince". He tossed to his left and let his mind take him back to those moments in the rink. Kyuhyun's beautiful smile had lit up his darkened life like a thousand watt bulb and gave him a renewed strength to make the best out of it instead of wallowing in self pity. The talented young skater had a weak immunity but despite that he never let anything come in the way of his dreams and had a positive outlook at life. Siwon had unknowingly drawn inspiration from that particular aspect. And then he remembered the few moments that were spent in front of Kyuhyun's house, the way Kyuhyun had pulled him in within the umbrella's protection so suddenly that their bodies almost collided with each others' and the thought of Kyuhyun's warm breath fanning his face due to the proximity gave him goosebumps. He went to sleep with a smile on his face.

 

The next day he woke up early in the morning. Blinking his eyes a couple of times, he rose from his bed and looked outside the window. The street was washed clean by the rain last night. Opening the windows, he noticed the leaves of trees and the sunshade of his window dripping wet. However the air was refreshingly cold and hence he decided to go for an early morning jog around the neighbourhood. Putting on his track pants and hoodie he went downstairs to find his dad just up from his sleep.

 

"Where are you going this early?" his dad asked.

 

"Just out for a jog dad!" he said and put on his sneakers. As he approached the front door, he saw the blue umbrella resting peacefully in a corner, all dried up.

 

I cant possibly wait till the evening to return this...He probably might be needing it today!

 

He then decided to return the umbrella to its rightful owner on the way. He grasped it tightly in his arms and resumed his jogging. As he approached Kyuhyun's house, he stopped and made his way inside the compound. However as he opened the gate it creaked and he cringed slightly noticing how quiet the entire street was early in the morning. But as he approached for the doorbell, he heard someone calling out his name from above.

 

"Oh! Siwon. What a surprise seeing you this early?" the voice asked and Siwon looked above. There he could see Kyuhyun standing in his balcony with a cute little white pomeranian puppy in his hands. For a moment, he couldnt decide who was cuter and more adorable. He smiled and thought to himself that it was the right decision to come here to see Kyuhyun under the pretext of returning the umbrella. Kyuhyun looked absolutely endearing with his hair let loose like that.

 

"Uh!..I..I wanted to return this to you." he said while Kyuhyun smiled and continued the puppy.

 

"Wait there. I'll come downstairs" he said and disappeared from his balcony only to reappear seconds later at the front door. Siwon figured out that it had not been long since Kyuhyun had woken up judging from the way his chocolate brown strands of hair were sticking out at odd angles. The puppy in his hands barked cutely at Siwon and stared at him with its beady eyes.

 

"I hope I didnt disturb you! How come you're up so early?" Siwon asked as Kyuhyun's dog barked again.

 

"Not at all. I am always up early for practise!" Kyuhyun beamed. The pup started squirming in his grasp and Kyuhyun readjusted his grip on it.

 

"You...I..mean..your puppy is cute! How come I didnt see it last night?" Siwon corrected.

 

"Isnt he..? Oh! He was probably taking a nap or something. He always likes to sleep beside me!" Kyuhyun beamed as he caressed the soft hair of the puppy.

 

"Whats his name?" Siwon urged.

 

"Thomas. Why dont you come inside?" Kyuhyun welcomed him.

 

"Oh! No. Thanks for inviting but I really should be on my way. I just wanted to return this." Siwon repeated.

 

"You didnt have to! What was the hurry for?" Kyuhyun asked.

 

"Oh well! I possibly cant hold on to this till evening. What if you needed it? So I brought it back." Siwon said and handed it out to Kyuhyun.

 

"Thats very thoughtful. Thanks a lot. Were you out jogging?" Kyuhyun said and let the puppy down. It barked again and scampered off into the house.

 

"Yes! Um...do you think its a good idea to have a pet running around inside your house like that. I mean you get sick easily, dont you?" Siwon asked out of concern.

 

"Oh! But Thomas is highly clean. Like squeaky clean! The house keepers make sure of that everyday!" Kyuhyun said.

 

"And I am not that weak Siwon, if thats what you're concerned about." he added and Siwon nodded in response.

 

"So.....you...have classes today?" Siwon asked.

 

"Yes! I usually practise for a few hours before getting ready for college. Where do you work anyway?" Kyuhyun asked.

 

"I work for an insurance company a few kms away from Seoul. Nothing fancy. Just a clerical job. Quite boring actually!" Siwon let out a laugh at the end.

 

"Hasnt your coach come back yet?" Siwon asked,

 

"No. He said that he was busy with the renovation work there. He'll probably be back by tonight or tomorrow morning" Kyuhyun said as Siwon hummed.

 

"Ha ha..you keep saying that you should be on your way but here you are making me guilty for talking you up at my door step." Kyuhyun crossed his arms and chuckled slightly.

 

How can I go when you have me glued to this spot like this! My feet refuse to leave!

 

Preventing himself from being carried away by Kyuhyun's cheery self, he coughed slightly and said "Ha ha....But its true. I should be on my way. See 'ya." and made his way outside. Once he reached the front gate, Thomas came running back outside and pulled at the hem of his track pants with its teeth. As Siwon tried further to release himself from the puppy's hold it kept on pulling him back. Chuckling at the puppy's cuteness, he bent down and its head. Immediately it released his pants and hung its tongue out as it enjoyed his caresses.

 

"Ha ha ...Look at that little devil. He is a er for whoever his hair" Kyuhyun laughed and came near.

 

"However he takes time to warm up to strangers. You're the only one he got accustomed to so quickly so far" he added as Siwon looked at him.

 

"At this rate, he probably wont let you leave. Come on Thomas! Thats enough. Come to papa." he called out. It immediately jumped back into his arms and let out a tiny bark. Siwon chuckled as he stood up and said "Papa? Seriously?"

 

"Uh...huh! Here boy! Say bye to Siwon." Kyuhyun said as he held the pup's paws and made it wave cutely at Siwon. At this angle, Kyuhyun looked like a mother doting on his new born baby and it was beyond adorable.

 

"You will come to the rink today?" Siwon asked as he stepped out.

 

"Um....I dont think I will coz I am planning on practising indoors today. I hope you're not disappointed" Kyuhyun said and sounded sincerely apologetic.

 

"No. Please dont feel bad for me. Though I wanted to watch you, its all the more important for you to remain indoors during such inclement weather." Siwon said as Kyuhyun nodded in agreement.

 

"Alright! I dont wish to take up more of your time. I'll see you around. Bubye Thomas!" Siwon waved at the puppy and it barked again. Taking one last look at the house, he saw Kyuhyun carrying the puppy in one hand and the umbrella on the other and heading inside. He then resumed his jog.

 

Meanwhile Kyuhyun got ready for college after finishing up his practice. He headed downstairs to find breakfast already set up at the table. Grabbing a bite at his sandwich, he eagerly skimmed past the headlines on the front page of the morning newspaper. However as he ate his sandwich, he felt a mild tightness building up in his chest. Thinking that it probably might be just him choking on the food, he gulped down half the glass of orange juice in one go. To his luck, it subsided immediately and he was able to breathe normally again. But he wasnt one to take chances. He opened his bag and found all necessary precautions ready in case he needed them for emergencies. He locked the front door and turned up Thomas in his neighbour's custody till he got back from college. His neighbours were more than happy to keep the cute puppy till he arrived since they had two kids at 4 and 3 years of age respectively who simply loved to play with it.

 

"Now Thomas, I want you to be at your best behaviour. Is that clear?" Kyuhyun crouched down and ruffled its soft mane.

 

"I swear, Thomas is the most behaved pet I have ever come across Kyuhyun-ah. You've raised it well!" the lady of the house cheered as Thomas jumped into her embrace.

 

"Kyuhyun-hyung and Thomas are here again!" her two kids came running out of the house in joy.

 

"Hey guys. Do tell me if he is being naughty alright!" Kyuhyun said.

 

"No we wont!" the kids chorused.

 

"What? And why wont you tell me?" Kyuhyun asked as he gathered the 4 year old boy in his arms.

 

"Because if I tell you then you wont let him play with us, right?" the boy asked innocently.

 

"Awwww! Thats right. I will cage him up, so he never comes bothering you two again!" Kyuhyun mocked and ruffled the boy's hair playfully.

 

"Please dont do that. Please Kyuhyun-hyung!" both the kids said loudly and shook his arms.

 

"Ok...Ok...I will let him play. I wont cage him up. I promise! Now..ugh...lets get you down!" he said as he lowered the boy to the ground.

 

"Hmm..Lets play Thomas!" the kids yelled and dragged the puppy inside their house.

 

"Take care of him. I will get him in the evening as usual after college!" he said and was about to head out when the lady called him out.

 

"Take care of yourself more Kyuhyun-ah. Its just that you've been getting thinner and thinner lately!" she said in a sullen tone.

 

"Hmm...I will. See you ahjumma!" he waved goodbye and left for college.

 

Kyuhyun's final exams had started today. Three days later, he would officially be entering his final year. And then his preparation for the Olympics would go on floors as Hankyung had promised. He couldnt wait for the day when he would proudly be standing on the rink representing his country in the Olympics. Just visualising himself standing there and listening to the crowd cheering him on loudly from the stands made him feel exhilarated.

 

Since Kyuhyun was studious, he always used to come out with the top scores in exams right from his school days. Everyone in his class was jealous of the fact that he could efficiently concentrate on both his studies and his figure skating without lagging behind in any. He wrote his exams well and decided to leave for home in the evening.

 

He waited for his bus at the bus stop for a few minutes outside his college campus. As soon as it arrived, he climbed into it and took his seat at the back. As he was tired, he decided to take a small nap till the bus reached his stop. However as he felt his eyelids droop just for the slightest bit, he sensed someone taking the seat beside him. Blinking his eyes open again, he noticed the person smiling back at him with the most gorgeous pair of dimples. Squinting his eyes a bit, he realised that it was indeed his greatest fan, Choi Siwon.

 

"Omo! Sorry if I disturbed your sleep" Siwon panicked.

 

Kyuhyun rubbed his eyes and felt quite refreshed. "No..Its alright! We are about to reach our stop anyway!", he bluffed. He knew that it would take atleast half an hour to reach his destination but something about Siwon made him bluff almost instantly. He blushed a brilliant shade of crimson as Siwon smiled again. What was it about Siwon that he had found so endearing? And not to mention his dimples! In reality, Kyuhyun had never seen anyone with a more gorgeous set of dimples than his. Of course, he had a dimple too right under his lip but it was too tiny and inconspicuous for people to notice. And something about Siwon's gentle demeanour made him feel safe and relaxed. It was a strange feeling for him to interpret. He felt himself getting warmer and warmer as he thought about Siwon a lot more than usual.

 

Siwon is such a nice person! I like his company a lot! I like being beside him!

 

"Are you tired?" Siwon asked out of concern.

 

"Huh!..N..No...Its just that I had an exam today, so I am kinda beat! Ha ha!" He laughed nervously.

 

"Oh! ok...So how did you do it?" he urged.

 

"I did pretty good! It wasnt that bad!" Kyuhyun said and his lips nervously. Siwon looked at him skeptically as he wondered about Kyuhyun's odd behaviour today.

 

He wasnt this jumpy in the morning! I wonder whats wrong! Could he be feeling sick again?!

 

"Are you ok? You dont have a fever, do you?" Siwon asked worriedly as he noticed a visible blush on Kyuhyun's cheeks.

 

"I am fine Siwon. Dont worry so much" Kyuhyun reassured as he settled back comfortably in his seat.

 

"By the way, I didnt know you and I boarded the same bus home all along!" Kyuhyun chirped.

 

"Neither did I. But from now on, bus journeys can never be boring!" Siwon exclaimed and looked at Kyuhyun.

 

"Well thats true! You and I will be seeing each other a lot more than ever!" Kyuhyun said but failed to grasp the underlying meaning on what he said. Siwon smiled thoughtfully after hearing Kyuhyun say that to him.

 

Both engaged themselves in lively conversations till their stop had arrived. They got down from the bus and proceeded to walk back home.

 

"So...dont you get bored sitting in your office having nothing to do except deal with numbers all day!?" Kyuhyun asked as he walked.

 

"Well...I used to get bored. But not anymore!" Siwon said.

 

"Oh! Really! Why is that so?" Kyuhyun asked innocently.

 

Ever since I met you....All I could think about is you and....only you! How could I possibly get bored!.

 

"Um...Well..I engage in recreational activities..in the office..." Siwon drawled.

 

"Like what? Soccer?" Kyuhyun laughed.

 

"I was about to say music. I listen to songs. And for the record, you have a dry sense of humour!" Siwon teased.

 

"Ugh! I do....not....take that back!" Kyuhyun swung his bag at Siwon who effectively dodged it.

 

"You do.."Siwon said again and ducked his head to avoid getting hit again.

 

Both were having the time of their lives talking and laughing with each other till they reached Kyuhyun's house.

 

"Wait a minute! I have to get Thomas back." Kyuhyun said as he ran into his neighbours house leaving Siwon standing alone on the quiet street. A moment later, he came running back outside carrying Thomas in his hands.

 

"You leave Thomas with your neighbour!?" Siwon asked.

 

"Of course. I cant possibly leave him alone in the house all day till I get back from college. And seonsangnim isnt home either. Besides, he loves playing with these kids" Kyuhyun said as Siwon hummed.

 

"Well...I guess its goodbye for now! Hopefully, see you again tomorrow!" Kyuhyun said and waved at him.

 

"Ya.....I..well...um...take care Kyuhyun. See you tomorrow!" Siwon fumbled as Kyuhyun giggled before heading inside. Scratching the back of his head sheepishly, Siwon continued walking towards his house..


 

Well...well..well..It looks like someone has started to feel something here!

And isnt Thomas just the cutest name for a cute little pup!..*squeals*

What do you think will happen? Will these two realise their feelings for each other before its too late?

Any guesses guys?

Keep guessing till the next update! See ya soon...Dont forget to drop your comments!