Hoping

First rain

Hankyung had been the country's favorite figure skater who had represented it in the Olympics many number of times in the past and had won numerous medals. Applause and accolades followed as his fame skyrocketed after that feat and he was hailed as the best figure skater this country had ever seen in decades. A few years later, he retired from professional figure skating and started an academy that taught not only figure skating for young and aspiring skaters but also dancing and martial arts. Being a professional dancer himself who was proficient in dances ranging from jazz and ballet to hiphop, he was looking for the perfect protege who would follow his footsteps and represent the country in the Olympics once again just like him. And he saw just the right amount of passion and hunger in young Kyuhyun.

 

Hankyung's family had been distant relatives of Kyuhyun's family for a long time. When Kyuhyun was barely four years old, he started taking interest in figure skating after watching Hankyung performing live in many competitions. And so his parents requested Hankyung to teach him as he had been nagging them. Hankyung, then in his teens, agreed to coach him personally and raise him into a skating sensation. But little Kyuhyun had such weak immunity that even the slightest shower of rain would leave him coughing and sneezing for months together. But his weak constitution never hindered the burning passion he had for skating and Hankyung knew then that he had found his protege in Kyuhyun at long last. So finally Hankyung officially became his coach and taught him all the tricks that he knew to become an expert in skating. Kyuhyun was a natural at this and being a bright pupil he showed rapid improvement, enough to impress his mentor.

 

Kyuhyun's parents were very protective of him as he had been their only child who had survived during birth and was living despite his weak immunity. Having lost two other babies earlier, one during birth and another when it was merely a year old, Kyuhyun's mother was dead set against him pursuing his higher education in Seoul. But Kyuhyun, being the stubborn child wanted to pursue his higher education and his skating in a big city like Seoul that had tons of opportunities. Coaxing their precious child seemed like a distant dream for the parents and they didnt want to see him heartbroken. Finally they relented and decided to ask Hankyung if Kyuhyun could seek accommodation in his house in Seoul till he finished college. Hankyung was more than happy to lend a helping hand to them and ever since then Kyuhyun had become a member of Hankyung's family.

 

Right now as Kyuhyun had the umbrella tightly clutched in his hands, protecting him from the rain, Hankyung was constantly giving him pointers on how to improve his moves. Kyuhyun was extremely devoted to his teacher as he considered him his role model and so he keenly listened to his advice. But as he rounded a corner, he accidentally bumped into someone who looked like he was in a hell of a hurry. The said person wobbled a bit on the wet cobblestone pavement that was slightly slippery due to the relentless rain and dropped his shoulder bag. Gaining balance immediately, the person crouched down and worriedly examined the contents of his bag as if ensuring that they are not damaged. The umbrella that he had had flown off somewhere in the wind so he was soaking wet from head to foot.

 

"Ah! Damn....I hope its not damaged!" he exclaimed.

 

"Um...sorry about that. I wasnt looking where I was going. I've been bumping into lots of people lately. Please forgive me. I am such a klutz! I hope you're ok. Please say something!" Kyuhyun ranted nervously.

 

"Whoa! Whoa! Easy there......I am ok and my equipment doesnt look too shabby. And I am sorry for running into you like that. Are you ok?" the person asked.

 

"Mhhmm...I am fine. But look at you, you're soaking wet. And your umbrella flew off. Its all my fault!" again Kyuhyun babbled. Holding up his hands, the person halted Kyuhyun from continuing further.

 

"Whoa! Whoa! Slow down or you'll burn out. Easy!" the person said and Kyuhyun finally stopped for breath.

 

"You dont have to worry. The rain isnt harmful. I enjoy it. See!" the person exclaimed and darted his tongue out to taste a few drops.

 

"But still...You shouldnt be standing in this rain for such a long time. Why dont we head inside for some hot coffee?" Hankyung offered for courtesy sake.

 

"No can do! I was about to go see a friend of mine. I need to dash before he comes in search of me holding a sledge hammer to kill me for being late!" the person laughed and Kyuhyun chuckled in response.

 

"Atleast take a cab!" Kyuhyun insisted.

 

Cocking an eyebrow in response, he said "To get to a place just a few blocks away? No thank you!"

 

"Where were you going in such a hurry anyway?" Hankyung asked.

 

"To the nearby skating rink! I have a lot of catching up to do with a long lost friend whom I happened to come across last night!" the person confessed. Both Kyuhyun and Hankyung nodded their heads in understanding.

 

"Anyway. My name is Lee Donghae. Whats yours?" he asked.

 

"Cho Kyuhyun. And this is Hankyung-seonsangnim, my coach" Kyuhyun introduced and smiled warmly.

 

"Pleased to meet you both. Now if you'll excuse me, I...gotta...runnnnnn!" Donghae said and began running. Suddenly stopping midway, Donghae turned around and yelled "Cho Kyuhyun....."

 

Kyuhyun turned around with a shock and saw Donghae standing a few feet away.

 

"You are absolutely cute when you blabber!" Donghae smiled and winked at him that facilitated a blush spreading across his cheeks. He felt warm and fuzzy and got confused as to why he was feeling so.

 

He called me.....cute????  Kyuhyun thought.

 

The next thing he knew, he was facing Donghae's disappearing back in the heavy downpour. Watching him run hurriedly, Kyuhyun smiled and turned around to go home.

 

"What a strange guy! Right Kyu!?" Hankyung stated as he walked beside him.

 

"Yes....Quite.....Strange" Kyuhyun trailed off and continued walking.

 

As Donghae ran in the direction of the skating rink, he couldnt help but think of Kyuhyun's panic stricken face. The slightly parted lips, the soft bangs that covered his forehead and the cute little mole beneath his doe shaped bright eye. He smiled and shook his head as he reminisced the scene that happened a few moments ago. He had to admit that he seemed to have been smitten by the young lad at first sight. Donghae was an outspoken person and always spoke his mind instead of bottling it all up. As a result, he had practically loudly stated that he found Kyuhyun cute without thinking how he would react. But one thing was sure, he couldnt wait to fill Siwon in with what he had experienced just now. All he wondered was whether Siwon was in a mood to listen to him! He hoped that he would!

 

Finally reaching his destination, Donghae supported his arms on his knees and breathed heavily. He let out a sigh of relief as soon as he saw Siwon, slightly wet, sitting outside on one of the benches bearing a distant look in his eyes and seemed to be deep in thought. Coming near him, Donghae heavily plopped down beside him and startled Siwon.

 

"So you finally came?" Siwon asked.

 

"I promised didnt I! And..ugh...sorry for the delay." Donghae apologised while resting his head back on his arms bearing a nonchalant look and wiggled his ankles.

 

"I can understand. The rain doesnt seem to let up!" Siwon asked.

 

"Not the rain. Just a mild........distraction" Donghae trailed off while Siwon cocked his eyebrow. Donghae had a strange smile adorning his lips and Siwon grew suspicious as soon as he saw it.

 

"Distraction? Lee Donghae....Dont...tell me..."Siwon trailed off and Donghae knew what he had understood....or rather....misunderstood!

 

"No no no no no, are you crazy?.....It wasnt , I swear!" Donghae swore while Siwon stared at him incredulously.

 

"Then....what?" Siwon asked again.

 

Sitting up straight, Donghae neared Siwon and said "I think I've fallen in love, my dear friend!" and hugged him tightly.

 

Siwon struggled in his embrace having difficulty escaping from the bear hug his friend was giving him. He finally managed to release himself as he felt himself nearly about to faint from shortness of breath. Catching his breath, Siwon asked "I swear Lee Donghae! You were probably an anaconda or a python or even a boa constrictor in your past life! *cough*...*cough*"

 

"Sorry about that. I just got excited. Ok listen. I just saw the most wonderful sight today! He looked like an angel in the rain, holding an umbrella....He was so ethereal...so enchanting...so...."Donghae seemed to drag on dreamily but Siwon interrupted him.

 

"Hold on! I didnt know "The Lee Donghae", "Ultimate Casanova" of the campus was a romantic." Siwon described while Donghae glared at him.

 

"And....He? A guy? You're gay? What else is new?" Siwon enquired and put up his arms in defeat.

 

"Hmmm...Of course Einstein! If the person in question is a he, then obviously he is a guy and I am gay! Yeesshhhh! You seriously need to revamp your top floor big time. Looks like you have no use for your brain for your clerical job!" Donghae barked sarcastically while tapping Siwon's temple.

 

"Well! Soooorrryyy for showing interest! By the way, you're late by an hour! And they are about to close the rink!" Siwon said and got up.

 

"No worries! We can go somewhere else. How about a movie? Sci-fi, action, sappy romance, horror, thriller? What do you say? I even brought my trusty digicam here to take loads of photos!" Donghae cheered up.

 

"Wellllll....I...guess you do owe me an outing! And the rain seems to have reduced a bit. I cant see the harm in watching a Sci-fi. You up for it?" Siwon asked hopefully.

 

"Bring it on! Dude, you havent changed one bit! If I remember correctly, you were crazy about Sci-fi right? Even took Jessica out on.....oh...oops! Sorry! I didnt mean to..." Donghae said.

 

"Its alright...Donghae! Its high time that I forget about her. I do have a life ahead of me and I cant possibly waste it cribbing over her!" Siwon said in a serious tone.

 

"Thats my boy! Now lets get going before the tickets sell out!" Donghae cheered him up and dragged him away to the movie theatre.

 

Meanwhile....In the practice room of their house....Hankyung and Kyuhyun were getting ready for a few flexibility exercises. They bent down, stretched their arms and legs and relaxed their bodies to make it pliable.

 

"Take a deep breath and hold it......1..2...3.....bend forwards releasing it slowly.....1...2...3.....Now raise your body while inhaling...."Hankyung instructed while Kyuhyun followed him.

 

"Now repeat the same by bending backwards Kyuhyun-ah. No need to rush. Do it slowly." Hankyung said. Kyuhyun nodded in agreement and started the routine. He did a few reps bending backwards when suddenly his vision swam. Shrugging away the feeling, he stood up straight as his breathing became laboured. He dropped to his knees and in seconds his breath came out in short pants. His eyes got hazy and he felt the overwhelming feeling of drowning. Seeing him gasping for air and coughing violently, Hankyung panicked but was quick to regain his composure. He ran towards Kyuhyun's room and readily brought him the inhaler.

 

"Its alright....its alright Kyuhyun-ah....Just relax....Breathe....breathe....relax..."Hankyung pacified and made him breathe through the inhaler. Taking in the vapour of steroids through the nozzle, Kyuhyun began relaxing almost instantly. Sweat dripped from his forehead as his vision cleared gradually due to the action of the medicine.

 

"Thats it for today Kyuhyun-ah! We possibly cant continue like this! And for god's sake, why dont you come out and tell me when you sense any sign of discomfort!?" Hankyung cried out desperately.

 

"*pant* Sorry seonsangnim! *pant* I thought that I'd be able to withhold it but..."Kyuhyun said. Holding both his hands within his grasp, Hankyung made Kyuhyun face him.

 

"Kyunnie.....please dont forget that your family is counting on me to take care of you! What if something happened to you? I wont be able to face them ever again! I promised them I'd take full responsibility!" Hankyung made him realise the fact that his beloved family was waiting eagerly for his return once he graduated.

 

"Sorry seonsangnim. It wont happen again. I promise that I'd tell you if anything is wrong with me" Kyuhyun said.

 

"I am holding you to that. Now go and rest. You have class tomorrow right?" Hankyung enquired while Kyuhyun nodded in agreement.

 

"Good night seonsangnim!" Kyuhyun said.

 

"Good night! Sleep well and if there is anything you need, I am just a call away" Hankyung said and hugged the lanky boy.

 

Kyuhyun trudged towards his bedroom and plopped down heavily onto the bed. Hankyung's room was right next to his, so if he needed anything at all, he could run into his room for help. He was forever in Hankyung's debt for spending countless number of  sleepless nights with him whenever he had come down with a fever or a stubborn cold. Once he even found Hankyung diligently wiping his forehead with a wet cloth early in the morning to bring down his fever. And never once had Hankyung complained about it at all. And at times Kyuhyun had even wondered if a scrawny little kid like him even deserved his teacher's magnanimity because according to him, all he did was fall sick and make life miserable for himself and his mentor. He was in touch with his parents and they would call him everyday to enquire if their precious son was doing good and he would blatantly lie to them even if he was running a high fever. He would readjust his voice a few times before answering the call so as not to give it all away and make them worry.

 

But the question in his mind right now was, for how long? For how long can he keep up this facade? Will he even be alive till graduation? Will he get to see his parents again? Will he even be able to accomplish his dream? Can he get through the preliminaries? Will he be strong enough to represent his country proudly in the Olympics this year and make Hankyung proud?

 

He knew that as the days passed by his existence is slowly withering away. The on slaught of illnesses had terribly weakened his body. He knew that if he was alive till now it was merely because of his strong will power to live his dream. Just the thought of achieving his dream had kept him going till now and thats what will keep him going till he achieved it. He decided that he had come this far and so will not let anything get in his way.

 

Just a bit more....

You cant give up now Kyuhyun....

 

Reaching out for his pills, he gulped them down with a glass of water. Tucking himself within the warm comforter, he closed his eyes and let his eyelids droop in exhaustion hoping to live a brighter and a more beautiful tomorrow.


I know some of you are probably rolling up your sleeves and getting ready to strike me...

Can hear some of you cocking your guns and aiming it at my head....

But guys rest assured...I stay true to being a wonkyu shipper and swear that neither would I let baby kyunnie die nor will I abandon Wonkyu...Kyuhae is just for the time being....

Its gonna be wonkyu all the way so please my loyal readers, dont bail out on me.....its my humble request!

Continue giving me your comments and support and love and all warm fuzzies....>)