Almost Time

Forever and Always: Please Don't Go (1/3)

They rested in the middle of their big house by the ocean, enjoying every moment together. Amber was in her husband’s arms, smiling idiotically for no reason.

“Why are you smiling?” Key asked, playfully nuzzling her cheek.

Amber giggled. “I don’t know. I’m just happy I’m here with you.”

“Aww, I feel the same way,” Key said, pecking her on the lips when she pouted cutely. “Since when did my tomboy wife become so cute?”

“Since you married me; that’s when.” Amber slapped his leg and Key chuckled.

“Well then, why did I marry you? I fell in love with my tomboy best friend.”

Amber didn’t feel even a tiny bit disappointed because she knew Key was just playing with her. She repositioned herself to be even more comfortable in Key’s arms before answering, “Why don’t youanswer why you married me?”

Key sighed and looked up to the ceiling, considering his options on what to say. “Hm… that’s kind of hard. I could say that I thought you were beautiful—which you were and still are—but I married you because you’re you, Amber Josephine Liu. You’re the one my heart called out for when I needed somebody to be with me to stick by side every step of the way. That’swhy I married you.”

Amber blushed and smiled. That was exactly the kind of answer she wanted from Key. “I love you Ki Bum.”

“I love you too, Amber.” Their lips met and—

Her head thumped hard. Amber tried to open her eyes. They slowly lifted. The light streamed through her eyelashes, and her eyes had trouble adjusting to the light. She blinked a few times then allowed her eyes to open fully. Her pupils got smaller to where they were almost invisible, but at least she could see. The light streamed in from the window next to her. The lights above her shone down brightly, almost causing her to go blind. She blinked a few more times. She saw little light spots on her eyelids for a few more seconds, but they eventually disappeared too.

‘Where am I…?’she thought as she looked around the room. She saw an IV cord in her arm, and it all came back to her. She went to one of those dangerous underground dance clubs after being challenged by their best dancer, overconfident about her “soon-to-be” win. That apparently didn’t work out. She had lost, and almost everybody else in the club attacked her with everything they had.

She looked further than her arm and saw Key’s peaceful sleeping face by the bedside. She sighed sadly. She saw the stains on his face and knew he had been crying. She tried to raised her arm and shake him a little, but it didn’t work. She was down to calling out his name.

“Ki Bum oppa…” she whimpered.

Key immediately woke up. It had only been minutes from when he fell asleep. Key looked up at Amber and saw her shiny eyes. He felt the tears coming back when he heard Amber’s cracking and shaky voice.

“Ki Bum oppa, listen to me.”

Key nodded, pulling a chair over so he could sit next to her and listen.

“I’m sorry for going out against your wishes. I just thought I could beat them. Now I’m all beaten up, and I know I’m going to die soon, so don’t worry about it, alright? You have to live on your own without me for the rest of your life, whether you like it or not. If I was smart, I’d be able to stay with you, and we’d also have a baby. But I was stupid, and I’m sorry for that.” Amber could feel her energy draining quickly. She had overheard the doctor to the nurses when she was unconscious, but not completely. She heard him say that her minimum time was a day or two, but he had gotten it wrong. She could feel that it was coming much sooner.

“W-What are you saying?” Key asked a little psychotically. It sounded like Amber was saying good-bye… for good.

“Key—” Amber coughed a bit. “—I don’t think I’m going to live through this day, okay baby? Just trust me. You need to be strong and find someone better than me, someone prettier, more girly, and a lot more sophisticated. She should understand your schedule and not bug you about taking her places and buying her stuff just because you’re famous. You deserve better than that.” Her head started to hurt a thousand times worse than ever before and she could feel her eyes slowly closing, as well as her heart rate going faster as it tried pumping blood to her brain. But her brain just sent the blood out and into her skull, killing her faster than intended. The only thing that could save her right now was God’s work. If he loved her enough and thought she had to live her life to the fullest, then he’d save her. But nobody thought Amber deserved it except for nine people and one extra person watching her from somewhere far away.

“No, no, no, no, no, no!” Key repeated over and over as tears streamed down his face. Blood started coming from the corner of Amber’s lip and the monitor’s beeping sound started speeding up.

Dr. Lee rushed in with a hoard of other doctors. “Mr. Kim, I’m sorry, but you’ll have to leave right now.”

“No, I can’t leave! She needs me! PLEASE!!!”

Key’s pleas didn’t work. Two security guards dragged him out of the room and left him in the waiting room. His yells and screams to God showed all of the people in the room with him, f(x), and SHINee how much he really loved Amber. She was his world, and without her he couldn’t survive.

“Key, you need to calm down, okay?” Onew tried. He approached Key with Jonghyun and Victoria, ready to do anything to get Key to calm down. Onew and Jonghyun took him by the arms. Victoria stood in front of him and held Key’s face in her hands. She looked at him with sad eyes full of feeling. She knew how Key felt. Well, maybe only half as much as Key, but still. Amber was her best friend and she couldn’t help but be hurt that Amber was going to die. No matter how many of the f(x) and SHINee members cared about her, Victoria was probably the one who watched out for her the most, besides Key. She really loved Amber like a sister.

“But she can’t die!” Key cried. He let Victoria hold him as he sobbed into her shoulder like he had in Taemin’s the night before.

“I know how you feel Ki Bum, but you just need to accept the fact that God has finally decided it’s her turn to meet him up in Heaven. He’ll take good care of her, I promise. He’s the one who gave life to her and all of us, and he made sure Amber made an impression on the rest of the world with all of us; especially you Ki Bum. He wanted her to find you so she could have the time of her life while she lived here on Earth for such a short but successful and fun time with all of us. She’s made an impression on all of us, big time. But now it’s time to let her go. We’ll always remember her, and I’m absolutely positive that she’ll be waiting for you and the pearly white gates of Heaven.” Victoria wiped away one little tear that escaped her eyes. Her confession even got her to tear up.

Onew, being the responsible leader he was, rubbed Key’s back. “We should go home now,” he said softly. “It’s almost time for lunch.”

Key sniffled but nodded. He felt like absolute trash, but what did that matter? Amber probably didn’t feel a thing.

They all left, but was that the smartest move to make?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Okay, one more chapter to go in the first short story of this "trilogy" ^^