"Please stay strong."

Forever and Always: Please Don't Go (1/3)

He ran next to the group of doctors that were pushing his beloved on a bed to the ER. He was tearing up the further they got into the hospital. He never wanted her to go, but he had to; she was just too stubborn. Now look where her stubbornness had gotten her.

“Amber, baby, please stay strong,” he yelled to her as she reached out for him from the gurney just as she entered the ER. The doctor that stayed with Key told him to stay in the waiting room. Key, very regrettably, walked back to the front of the hospital, sniffling and wiping his nose. His first thought was to call all of his friends and tell them what happened. But first he’d have to call his and Amber’s managers to tell them that neither of them would be in for the next week or so.

You see, they were both famous, but none of their fans knew they were actually a married couple. If anybody knew other than their band mates and managers, they’d be kicked out of the business.

So anyway, Key called all of his friends, all of the ones from SHINee and also f(x).

“We’re on our way,” they had all answered.

Key sat there in the chair leaning over his knees, supporting his self by his elbows on his knees. He checked the time constantly, and every time he did, it seemed like time just slowed down more and more.

‘Geez, how could she even do that? She knew I didn’t want her going out there. And since when did she ever risk herself in dance competitions? She knows that the locals underground dance competitions always have a serious consequence,’Key thought. He wiped his tears away and checked the time again. Yep, time kept getting slower and slower.

Key stood up and walked out the door. Being in the hospital just put too much pressure on his heart.

When he looked at his reflection in the glass door before walking out of the building, he realized life was just a reflection of what he really needed and wanted.

Don’t you get it? Life is a game to play, but only when love isn’t involved. Life should be fun, amazing, and everything a human needs to survive. But food, water, and love is also what humans need to survive. If you take half and half of each side of life, it all adds up evenly. Even though it’s always great to get out there and have fun, you’ve got to watch yourself and make sure you don’t screw up and ruin your chances with the other half that makes the biggest difference in your life. Because if you mess up, you aren’t going to make people very happy. Remember to always be happy and treat life like glass—fragile, yet strong, but also with that reflection Key saw in the hospital door. That’s all we need to survive.

Key inhaled the sweet night air, enjoying how fresh it was. It cleared his senses, but definitely didn’t take any weight off of his heart. He sat on the stone bench outside of the hospital, watching the stars. He was always fascinated at how beautiful they were. But he was also amazed, after four years of being married to her, at how Amber was so much more beautiful than them.

Key saw plenty of things in Amber. He loved her sense of fashion. He admired her passion for dancing. He was always amazed when she pulled off a better rapping skill than her, and he always enjoyed watching her looking all tomboyish and acting like she didn’t care what anybody said about her. Then again, that was exactly her. We can rap that all up in two words, though—Key’s wife.

“Hyung!”

Key looked up. Taemin was running to him with his arms raised above his head, flailing around. Key laughed at how funny Taemin looked while wiping more tears from his blood-shot eyes. He allowed Taemin to steal him into a hug; he needed it at the moment.

“Oppa, what happened to Amber unni…?” Sulli asked shyly, worried about the answer. She knew (along with all the other SHINee and f(x) members) that Key and Amber had the purest of relationships, and Key never cried this much except when something really bad happened to Amber, and vice versa. So it was pretty big.

“She went to a dance club without telling me and she lost to the best one there and all of the other dancers teamed up and—and—and…” Key sobbed into Taemin’s shoulder as Taemin rubbed his hyungs back comfortingly. Normally Key was the one to comfort him, but Key needed to be the one comforted. His actions scared everyone, especially Jonghyun and Onew. Minho was just in the back, being quiet but also very worried for Key. Sure Key was the other rapper, but he was also Minho’s role model, believe it or not. Minho really appreciated how Key was always so confident and could talk to people like he had known them for ages. That was just the kind of guy Minho wanted to be, but he was always too shy to act that way. It was just… Minho.

All of them walked in the hospital, not caring who saw them, fans or not. The fans noticed how Key was crying and every member of both bands were helping him walk.

They sat in the room together, worrying together, and crying together. Victoria was heartbroken, Sulli was worried, Luna was nervous, and Krystal was just plain out of her mind. Minho and Onew kept pacing around in the waiting room as Taemin stayed by Key and Jonghyun comforted the girls.

Before any of them knew it, the doctor came out. The girls had fallen asleep, along with Jonghyun. The other SHINee members were fighting their closing eyes to see what the doctor said. Key, on the other hand, was still wide-awake, nerves getting the best of him.

“Kim Ki Bum?” the doctor called out. Key immediately shot up, scaring the pants off of poor little Taemin who had just fallen asleep against Key’s shoulder.

“Yes?” Key asked, walking quickly towards the doctor.

“We’ve done a somewhat successful surgery,” Dr. Lee said, pursing his lips.

Key’s heart sped up thinking about what might’ve happened.

“Here, follow me,” Dr. Lee said, motioning for Key to follow him down the hall. Key willingly went after Dr. Lee.

They arrived at Amber’s new room. It smelled like medicine and gauze. Amber was lying in bed, deeply asleep. Key’s heart broke even more at the sight of his wife with needles in her arms, scratches and bruises on her body. He walked up to Amber’s bedside cautiously, as if he’d disturb the balance of the world if he walked too fast.

“Amber…” Key whispered, wiping the perspiration off of his wife’s forehead.

“Mr. Kim, we got all of the internal bleeding almost completely fixed, but… not all of it. Her internal organs in her stomach are just fine, but the bleeding in her brain is slowly killing her. By my X-ray and the information I gathered, she only has three days to live. She’ll be lucky if she wakes up by then.” Dr. Lee said everything as softly as he could, but he also had to say it—the one thing Key didn’t want to hear, let alone even knew about. Dr. Lee whispered his last words before he left the room.

“The baby didn’t survive either, Mr. Kim. I’m sorry.” And with that, Dr. Lee shut the door.

Before Key came to realize fully what the doctor said, he asked after the door shut, “What? Baby? But Amber wasn’t pregnant… was she?”

It was the one thing they didn’t know about in their relationship. Well, Amber knew that she nearly two months pregnant with her and Key’s first child, but she couldn’t tell him for the sake of their jobs. She didn’t want him to get fired, let alone hated by f(x)’s fans and she knew that she’d be hated by Lockets if they knew Key got her pregnant. They didn’t even know that they had been married for four years.

The reality of it hit Key, and the tears flowed even faster. “Oh my… you knew… Why didn’t you tell me Amber?” he cried to the sleeping beauty in front of him. He dropped to his knees and stared at her bruised sleeping face in disbelief. He never expected Amber to keep such secrets from him. He had always wanted to be a father, and he had gotten lucky enough to get the love of his life pregnant. But she didn’t tell him, so he couldn’t keep her safe. He felt like the worst husband.

It took him hours to stop crying. After all of it was done, he fell asleep. He didn’t want to, just in case Amber needed something when—if she woke up.

And she did.