Sins Create Karma

No Way Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: Quite a lot of curse words and swearing. Here you go guys, get ready for the drama. >.<

When Jong In arrived to the church in the early morning with his mother, he went straight to Ha Yi's coffin in the front to go see her. While Eun Hee had been setting up and making sure the place looked clean and clear for the guests to come in, she was also hoping that Taecyeon would make it in time for his sister's burial. 

He said he was running late from the hospital, so she hoped that he could make it on time for the prayers for Ha Yi before sending her down through the burial. 

Jong In reached Ha Yi's coffin, biting down on his lip and sighing, "Is today really the day you're leaving us, Yi?" 

He imagined her voice answering him back; her low and modulated voice that always enjoyed talking back to him. That voice that he always enjoyed starting arguments with and enjoyed picking on half of his life. He began to touch her coffin, wanting to see her again and asked, "I told you I wouldn't let the person who did this to you get away with this. I know she was your best friend, but please don't be mad at me. She deserved it." 

From afar, Eun Hee called her son to get his attention, "Jong In!" He turned around with his hands linked together as she continued, "Can you go to the office in the back at tell the priest that we're here? I want to know if there are any other preparations before everyone starts coming in." 

Jong In nodded at her and then started walking towards the back, heading towards the church's office. Once he reached the front of the door, he knocked on the door three times and waited for an answer. 

After ten seconds, he finally heard the priest say, "Please come on in." 

Jong In pulled on the doorknob to open the door, seeing the priest sit at his wooden desk. He slightly grinned and bowed at him, "Good morning, Sir." 

"Your family's already here?" He asked, beginning to stand up. Jong In nodded at him and replied, "Yes Sir." 

He coughed a little and went to his bookshelf to grab the bible that he needed to recite for the service before they went onto the burial. Jong In went on and asked, "My mother was wondering if there was anything else we needed to do before everyone begins coming in."

He turned to look at Jong In for a few seconds and shook his head, "No. Everything is all done and prepared. You just need to wait for the service to start." 

Jong In nodded his head and turned around to exit the room. However, the priest stopped him and called out, "Mr. Jong In." Jong In confusingly turned around, giving him a query face. The priest studied him for a decent ten seconds before asking, "Are you a troubled child, Mr. Jong In?" 

"Pardon me, Sir?" 

The priest came closer to Jong In in order to see his face even closer, still keeping the same thoughts in his head. He repeated, saying louder, "I asked if you were a troubled child. You look like you're going through some problems." 

"I'm probably just stressed after losing my little sister, Sir," Jong In replied casually, trying to keep a straight face. "I'm not particularly troubled like you ask." 

"You know, troubled children always bring karma upon themselves, because they commit a selfish sin that brings pain to another individual." 

Jong In was completely frozen at this point, remembering what he did to Minji last night. He gulped apprehensively, not knowing what to reply with. Letting out a small cough, he answered shortly, "Yes Sir." 

The priest looked at him blankly, continuing on, "Sins create karma, Mr. Jong In. If you do good, the good will come back to you. But if you do something bad, you will receive much more pain. That is the work of karma. That is the work of punishment. Everything comes back to you in the end, but it will be more suffocating."

Jong In tried to keep a straight face, slightly shaking from his words. Jong In refused to feel guilty about what he did to Minji last night, he just refused. He was highly shocked and disturbed by that the fact that the priest was giving him words about karma, when he clearly didn't know what he did. 

After he wasn't able to hold it in, Jong In just rushed out of the door, trying to shake off what he just heard. 

"What the hell was that?" He asked himself, looking back at the door and had got the chills for particularly no reason.

One Week Later

“Why am I here with you?” Minji asked Seok Jin while they were walking the empty corridors of their university. Seok Jin laughed and shook her shoulders, while he jokingly said, “Because you came in the car with me.”

“Fool, you dragged me out of my house,” Minji replied, raising her voice. “You were acting all sweet and nice in front of my Omma. She doesn’t know the evil side of you.”

“I’m surprised she actually let you come with me,” he said, with a smile. “I thought I was going to get interviewed.”

“You didn’t though? I came downstairs and it looked like you were one of the victims part of her investigation.”

“I can’t be in part of an investigation,” Seok Jin joked, putting his thumb and index finger to his chin. “Look at this sweet face, no one can suspect me.”

“I’d suspect you first,” Minji joked, with an eye roll. As they kept walking, Minji asked seriously, “So why we here again? The semester ended like, a week ago.”

“I have to submit a research report for my Biochemistry Lab,” he answered. “It was for my final exam, but my professor gave me all of us an extension because she got sick the last week of finals. I'm just grabbing the report question from her." ”

Minji nodded in agreement and they kept walking. When he reached the computer lab, he nudged towards the waiting area in front of the room and said, “You don’t have to come in with me. I’ll be a few minutes. We’ll get something to eat after, sound good?”

“Okay dude,” Minji concluded with a smile as she watched him go into the computer lab. She took a seat at one of the soft chairs that was located right in front of the computer lab and began to play around with her phone, trying her best to kill time.

A few minutes later, she heard footsteps come inside the building from the side door, but she continued to ignore it.

“Minji?” She heard a deep male’s voice calling her name. She narrowed her eyes and looked up, seeing Chanyeol smile so widely at her. Her inhaled a small breath, a little surprised to see him at the university. She nervously laughed and asked, “Oh, Channie Oppa. What are you doing here?”

“I’m trying to find the convenient store that’s in this building, but I’m getting so lost,” he replied, sitting down on the chair diagonally across from her.

She wondered if he was with Jong In; which would be the only logical reasoning for him to be here because it wasn’t even the university he attended. She scratched her head and replied, “It’s at the end of the building, Oppa.”

“I’ve been walking around like crazy and I still can’t find it. Leave it to Jong In to leave me while he talks to his professor.”

Minji slightly widened her eyes, knowing that Jong In was around the campus. She stayed quiet and only nodded her head, linking her hands together. Chanyeol reached out to nudge her and begged, “Minji, can you please show me where it is? I’m so thirsty and I want a snack too. Jong In left me for a good thirty minutes now, you can just point out where it is and I’ll let you be.”

Minji looked at him softly, slightly pouting . Well, she would feel bad if she stopped talking to him abruptly just because she didn’t want to think about Jong In. Then again, Chanyeol was always the nicer one to her and actually interacted with her when he came by the house.

She sighed to herself, biting down on her lip. Can she ever stop thinking about him in the slightest bit?

****

“Do you want anything Minji?” Chanyeol asked, about to walk into the convenient store. She shook her head and answered, "No thank you. I have to go back to my friend, he said he was only gonna be a few minutes." As Minji was about to walk away from him, he grabbed onto her wrists to stop her and became a little serious, "How are you doing?" 

She looked down at his hands that was holding onto her wrist, then looked back at him. He slightly grinned and let go of her, putting his hands into his pockets. She scratched her head and tried to smile at him, while nodding, "I'm fine." 

Chanyeol knew the entire situation about Minji calling Ha Yi out the night of the accident, but he felt bad for her more than anything. It was only an accident, but Minji's poor heart probably thought it was her own fault for being the cause of everything. He put his back hand to her forehead, which caught off her off guard and shook his head, "No, you don't look fine. Listen, I know everything's been stressful for you but I don't want you to be so hard on yourself. It's hard seeing you not smile for so long." When he took his hands off her forehead, she could only let out a deep breath and force a smile upon her face. 

Replying to him, she pointed to and showed all her teeth, "I'm smiling, see?" 

He sighed to her loudly and pinched her cheeks hardly, making her squeal. He avowed, pointing at her, "That smile was so real, you can go be an actress with that awesome facial expression." Minji got slightly amused, hearing Chanyeol tried to joke with her. He sighed once more and tapped her shoulders, "I just hope you know... What happened to Ha Yi wasn't your fault at all." 

Oh no, it was down to this again. 

Minji felt a rush of sadness drown over her, making her look down in guilt. She sighed loudly and responded, "Oh trust me, it was my fault." 

"But it wasn't though," he assured, trying to get her to look up at him. "You need to stop being so hard on yourself. I mean, yeah... It's hard for everyone to accept that she's gone. But you can't sit around blaming yourself for what happened when everyone else doesn't blame you. It was just an accident, and accidents are bound to happen. I just want you to stop feeling guilty about yourself because no one is blaming you for it."

She snickered a little and looked at him, "One person blames me for it." Chanyeol narrowed his eyes at her a little, tilting his head in confusion. He had a sense it was about Jong In, but he didn't want to ask, because they hadn't been interacting with each other for a few months now. Chanyeol then shook his head and continued on, "Ha Yi wouldn't like it if you kept sitting around like this. She'd rather look down at you in peace, rather than having to worry about you feeling guilty. That girl was always worrying about you. Smile for her again so she can be in peace." 

Minji appreciated Chanyeol's sincerity towards her, but it really did not help her feel in less pain than she felt. Jong In still hurt her horribly in the end, and there was nothing to do to take it back. 

Trying not to cry, she replied, "It's hard to feel like I'm not guilty for this, but thank you for the nice words, Channie Oppa."

"I'm not only trying to make you feel better, Minji," he repeated, wanting her to understand. "I'm saying it because I mean it. You're such a happy girl, it's just hard seeing you go through this yourself." 

"I'll try." 

When she gave him a reassuring smile, he only nodded at her, deciding to drop the topic because she was clearly getting too sad. He looked back at the convenient store and nudged his head, "Come on, I'll buy you something. Anything you want." He unexpectedly grabbed her by the arm again and pulled her inside. When he let go of her, he grabbed the store's basket and hung it around his middle arm. He began to smile happily again, bringing her around the store, "Alright, choose anything you want. My treat."

"I don't want anything, Channie Oppa." 

He jokingly glared at her and demanded with a sarcastic tone, "You're getting something. I should buy you something since you make those amazing cupcakes for me all the time. Come on, choose anything, I'll get it for you."

"Oppa -," she tried to call, but he randomly started putting things in the basket he was holding. He grabbed onto chocolate bars and placed it in the basket, "I know you like chocolate, so I'll buy you that." He walked on and put in a custard snack, saying, "You like this too, I saw you making it one time, so I'll buy this for you."

She began to smile, seeing that he was trying his best to cheer her up. He walked around frantically, searching for another sweet snack and saw a box of brownie bites. He put it in the basket and continued, "Ah yes. You definitley like brownie bites so I'll put this in there."

"Oppa, am I even going to finish this all?" She began to say, lightening up a bit. He chuckled and answered, "Just store it up. Make sure you don't go hungry for snacks for another week or so, because I'll stack you up with all of them." 

He put random snacks in the basket for a few minutes, then started searching for drinks. He slightly hummed and asked, "What kind of drinks do you like? Milk? Soda? Gatorade? Red bull? Tell me, I'll put it in here."

"I think that's good, Oppa."

"Nonsense," he replied, shaking it off and walking towards the refrigerator. "I know you love apple juice, I'll get that for you too." When he opened the fridge up, Minji's phone began to ring loudly. When she pulled it out, she saw Seok Jin's name appear on screen. She slid her phone and answered, "Hello?"

"Min, where did you go?" He asked through the earpiece.

"I'm at the convenient store that's at the end of this building," she answered, seeing the pile of snacks that Chanyeol put in the basket. "Are you done? I'll head back over there if you are." 

"Oh okay. That's fine, I'll walk to you. I need to grab some water anyways. Just wait there," Seok Jin said, hanging up the phone abruptly on her. She sighed to herself and went back to Chanyeol, who looked like he was carrying a pile of rocks on his arms. She smiled and asked, "Channie Oppa, do you need any help carrying that?"

"No, no, no," he replied, shaking his head cutely. "You're the girl. I must be the gentleman and carry this for you. Did you want anything else at all? I don't think this basket can fit anything else."

"Who asked you to put the entire store in there?" Minji joked, making Chanyeol laugh a little. He suddenly became happy seeing her wide smile once again, hoping that this little gesture would cheer her up. He'd only seen her when she was lively, happy and smiling, so it was hard for him seeing her so sad. Chanyeol smiled and nodded his head, replying, "Alright, so I'll get this for you." 

When he began walking to the cashier, Minji asked, "Wait, did you end up getting your drink?" Chanyeol placed the basket filled with drinks and snacks onto the cashier, looking at her with widened eyes. He smiled nervously and scratched his head, "I forgot my own drink. Wait here, I'll be right back."

Minji rolled her eyes, seeing that Chanyeol was the same cute and adorable person he always was. There's nothing that can ever really change him. As the cashier began ringing up all the items in Chanyeol's basket, she stood there waiting for him to come back. 

About twenty seconds later, Minji heard the automatic sliding doors open, and expected to see Seok Jin come in the convenient store. To her surprise, Jong In was the one who walked through those doors, which made her heart stop beating. Her eyes widened in frighteningly, suddenly beginning to shake instantly. She bit down on her teeth, feeling like she was about to cry when she saw his face, remember everything that he did to her exactly seven days ago. 

Jong In looked over towards the cashier and saw Minji staring back at him, causing them to make eye contact. Jong In was also surprised to see her, since this was the first time he saw her after the incident. He knew she hadn't gone to the burial since he threatened her not to mess with his family again, so he was quite taken aback by seeing her now. 

When they met eyes, Minji didn't know what to do because she became terrified and shaken, looking for a way out of the store at this point. Jong In walked further into the store, but Minji stepped back startingly, knocking over all the tissue boxes that they had for display next to the cashier. She knocked all of them over and fell down herself, feeling like a complete idiot. 

As she was on the floor, Chanyeol came back with a bottle of soda in his hands and exclaimed, "Minji!" Jong In stopped walking forward when he realized Chanyeol was with Minji.

What the hell was he doing with her?

Chanyeol helped her get up from the floor, standing up abruptly. When she stood up, she quickly bent down to grab the tissue boxes that she knocked over, attempting to put it back to how it was but it became a complete mess. She apologized to the cashier and said, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do that." 

"It's fine, don't worry about it." 

"Minji," Chanyeol called again, grabbing onto her arms to make sure she was alright. "Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine, Oppa," she replied fastly, roughly pulling away from his grasp. "I gotta go." 

"Wait, your drinks -," Chanyeol tried to say, but she walked away from him so fast that he couldn't finish his sentence. 

When Minji saw an open space between the door and where Jong In was standing, she immediately ran for the door, wanting to get out of there as fast as possible. Jong In stood there motionless, waiting for her to leave as Chanyeol saw him standing near the magazine stand that was nearby the door. Chanyeol stared at Jong In and narrowed his eyes, wondering what the hell was going on. 

Minji dashed through the sliding doors of the convenient store, unexpectedly colliding her body against Seok Jin. Seok Jin groaned loudly, stepping back to see Minji, "Dang woman, why did you have to charge me like that?" 

"Let's go," Minji replied, ignoring him and grabbing onto his wrist to pull him out. Seok Jin stopped her, not moving his tall body out of the way, "Wait, wait, wait, wait. I didn't get my water yet. I'm so thirsty, I need to get something."

"I"ll buy it somewhere else for you, let's just go," she finished, forcefully dragging out of that area so they could leave. Before the sliding doors closed on him, he caught a glimpse of Jong In, who had been standing there looking like he had no life in him. Was that why Minji was leaving like this? Why did she seem so frightened by him? What the hell was going on between them?

Chanyeol stomped up to Jong In and asked, "What the hell was that?" 

"What was what?" Jong In asked back, trying to pretend like he didn't see that happening. Chanyeol became frustrated and confused, replying, "What was up with you and Minji?" 

"Nothing's even been up between that girl and I." 

"Oh yeah, is that why she ran away from you like her life depended on it?" 

Jong In shrugged carelessly and replied, "Guilty people always try to hide their faces." 

"Guilty? What the would she be guilty about?" Chanyeol questioned, starting to get angry. 

"Nothing. Nothing's up, alright? She's always been weird anyways." 

"Umm, note to Jong In," Chanyeol sassed, snapping his fingers at Jong In's face. "Minji is not the definition of weird. She's the nicest and sweetest person ever. You, Mr. Jong In, are the weird one."

"Whatever man," Jong In concluded, beginning to walk away from him to find something to drink. "Did you get anything yet? I'm hungry, I kinda want to go eat now."

"Do not whatever me, Jong In. What's going on with you and Minji? What'd you do to the poor girl that she had to run away from you like that? She was fine when she was with me but when saw you, she acted like she was going to die or something. What the did you do to her?" 

Jong In stared at Chanyeol vacantly, wondering how the hell he was going to answer that. 

"You did what?!" Chanyeol yelled at Jong In, standing up from his chair while Jong In sat still on the bed. After going out to eat, they went back to Chanyeol's house to hang out, while Jong In told him the entire story that happened between him and Minji. However, he didn't expect Chanyeol to be this pissed off at him. Chanyeol kept yelling and pointed at his face, "You're telling me that you ing  her. You took that poor girl's innocence away because you were angry and you  her." 

"I didn't say it was , Chanyeol," Jong In answered, snickering a little. "I told you I knew she liked me for god knows how long. I just wanted to give her what she wanted so she could leave my family and I alone."

"What the is wrong with you? I know girls like me too but I don't go out them!" 

"I didn't  her. Get it straight."

"You bastard!" Chanyeol insulted, feeling stressed out for Minji, because she was such a nice girl. "You obviously took her the wrong way for so long. Damn, why the did she like you in the first place? This wouldn't have happened to her. She's scarred to death because of you, you monster!" 

"What the hell are you yelling at me, dude? You wanted to know what happened between us, so I told you. Stop cursing at me already."

"Yeah, that was before I knew you her. Just because she had a crush on you didn't mean that she wanted to have with you. What kind of horrible person are you? How did that even process through your head that all she wanted was ?" 

Jong In glared at him and crossed his arms, leaning against the bed wall, "She called Yi out when it was pouring out. Did you see the result of that?" 

"Yeah, your sister died Jong In. I know, I was at the ing funeral with you. But you took the blame on someone who clearly feels guilty for it and you her for it. How do you think she feels now? I'm surprised she's even walking out in this world." 

"She'll be fine." 

Chanyeol was getting angrier by the minute hearing Jong In's ignorant responses. He replied, standing a lot taller than Jong In with his hands on his hips, "No, you bastard. You ing destroyed her. She won't be fine with this. You ruined an innocent's girl life, I hope you ing know that."

"When will everyone stop thinking she's innocent?" Jong In asked, with his eyes widened. "Why does everyone see something entirely different from me?" 

"Do you want me to punch some senses into you? Everyone sees what they're supposed to see. Minji isn't hiding anything from us, she's being herself. It's you who sees something different because of your ed up, idiotic brain!" 

Jong In stayed quiet, which made Chanyeol angrier, continuing on, "The good you see is in your ing girlfriend, whose as viscious as hell. So we all established that you became stupid ever since you met her. Does Krystal even know her boyfriend went off someone?" 

"Chanyeol, it was a one time thing. I gave her what she wanted and I told her to back off from me. Krystal doesn't need to know about it." 

"The only reason why I'm not telling anyone is because I feel bad for Minji. That poor girl is probably ashamed of being by a bastard like you. It's not because I'm trying to hide your cover because I'd be the one who would tell the police first!" 

Jong In began to get annoyed by his excessive yelling and just the television to try to get him to stop talking. Chanyeol angrily grabbed the remote control out of his hands and threw it on the floor, demanding, "I am not ing done yet, Jong In. I can go all night about this."

"What else do you have to say man? You've insulted me enough!" 

Chanyeol saw the yellow lillies that were placed at his nightstand, remembering that his mother loved putting flowers for him all around the room. He grabbed one lily out and told Jong In, "This is Minji." Jong In began to narrow his eyes at him, wondering where he was going with the conversation. He went on, pushing the flower into his face and explained, "Lillies are a symbolism of viriginity, beauty, modesty, sweetness and the purity of the heart. That is the representation of Minji." Chanyeol began to crumple up the pedals, crushing it and tearing it apart until it was down to little pieces. He threw right in Jong In's face to show his frustration towards him, yelling, "That's Minji now! You completely destroyed every single part of her, that's what I have to say!" 

"What the Chanyeol?!" Jong In shouted, standing up to grab all of the ripped pedals that flew into his mouth. "Why the hell did you just do that to me?" 

Chanyeol grabbed his sweatshirt and glared at him, angrily saying, "I hope you know that you ruined that girl's life. is not a small issue, Jong In. People get put through life imprisonment or execution because of . It's a ing crime and you committed it to an innocent girl. Unless you have a small guilt in the back of your mind about doing this to her, I suggest you make up for it or you ing go to hell." 

Chanyeol shoved him down on the bed, storming out of the room because he wasn't able to see his face anymore.

Jong In sat there on Chanyeol's bed, irritated by his excessive yelling and insulting.

He couldn't feel guilty... He wasn't going to bring himself up to feel guilty.

September 2009

On the first day of September, it was Minji's first day back for the second half of her freshman year. She was beginning her second semester at Seoul National University, but she felt more empty than usual. She sat by herself, studying the textbook that she had to purchase this morning after her first period class, reading and drinking milk by herself in the cafeteria. 

It was alright noontime, but she strangely wasn't hungry. Maybe it was because she dreaded walking into the university once again knowing that Ha Yi wasn't here anymore. She leaned against the wall, since she got a table that was located attached to the wall. She sighed to herself and tapped the table, trying to figure out ways to deal with the emptiness that she felt right now. 

She hadn't been getting hungry for the past few days, which was strange because her stomach would growl once she wakes up in the morning. It just felt like she lost her apetite. 

A few minutes later, Seok Jin walked into the cafeteria, spotting Minji sitting near the bathrooms towards the back. He looked around the cafeteria to see it was quite crowded, assuming she couldn't find a seat since she usually sits near the door. Then again, it was everyone's first day, it presumably gets crowded on the first week of classes. 

Seok Jin walked up to the table quickly and greeted her saying, "Hey, I got your favorite," He held up a bag of food in her face, trying to get her attention. She took her face out of the textbook she was studying from and smiled at him, while grabbing the bag, "Thank you dude. What is it?" 

"Woman, what do you always crave for?" He replied, taking the seat across from her. She grinned again, knowing that it was scallion pancakes, but she placed it on the table to leave it aside. He narrowed his eyes at her and asked, "You're not hungry? I haven't seen you eaten since our first class and you usually have a snack in the morning."

Minji pouted and shook her head, "I haven't been hungry the past few days. I'm probably stressed about sophomore year starting. Thank you though, I will eat it when I'm hungry. I just had a whole cup of milk."

"Oh, milk," he joked, putting a grin on his face. "That's so filling, Minji. Eat some real food, you're kinda worrying me." 

She smiled at his concern for her, grabbing the bag to force herself to eat the pancakes since he was generous enough to buy it for her. Seok Jin assumed that she was still sad about Ha Yi, but it's been more than two months since the situation passed, and she still hasn't come back to the same Minji she usually was. He wanted to ask her about how she was doing, but he didn't want her to break down again. 

Minji pulled one of the pancakes out of the bag and took a bite of it, continuing to read her book.

Seok Jin saw her reading a textbook and asked, "Did you get the textbook for our anatomy class already?" 

"Yeah," she replied with a nod, closing the textbook to show him. "I passed by the bookstore so I figured I might as well buy it." 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter