Blue Iris

The Green House Dome

 

 

 

The 5 year old Jongdae absent-mindedly gazed out the huge French window beside the spot where he was quietly sitting, taking a small photograph with his mind to keep in his memory.

 

 

 

It was snowing again

 

 

 Just like every year.

 

 

 

The garden outside was covered with pure white snow, every tree had already casted off its leaves, every flower back to its soil, every animal hibernating in hopes of waking up to a more peaceful world.

The snowflakes were slowly falling, adding to the already thick blanket of snow that had previously piled up, exuding beauty. The sky was dull and dark from the view of Jongdae’s eyes.

 

Jongdae was feeling gloomy these past few days. Everything he did was practically below the standards his parents decided to place on him. He was a five year old for Christ’s sake!

You just don’t expect a five year old to finish 30 stacks of thick books with fonts as small as ants in two days.

You just don’t expect a five year old to study mathematics of the highest degree and level that only a handful of people can finish

 

 

 

Just no

 

 

 

 

 

But they did, they expected more than what was above average—superior even.

Just because his IQ was higher than most people.

 

 

 

 

The child turned his attention back to the scene before him.

 The earth looked like it had decided to die for a short while, and took Jongdae’s cheerfulness along with it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“WHY WON’T YOU ATTEND YOUR LESSONS?!”

“I’m sorry, father”

 “YOU’RE WASTING PRECIOIUS MONEY, JONGDAE!”

“My apologies”

I peeked at the window beside us.

It was snowing.

“If I had known that you were not attending your lessons then I shouldn’t have come home. I’m getting a migraine from all of this.” My father rubbed the side of his head while I stood erect like a mechanical robot, unmoving without an order, cold without a heart.

But you rarely come home, so why bother now? I thought to myself. I never did understand how my parents’ minds worked.

“Go.. Just go to the library, Jongdae... Reread all of the textbooks your tutor has assigned you today”

“Yes, father” I smiled on last time before walking pass the cold-hearted man in front of me and out of the wooden doors.

I slowly pulled the handles to close the gates of hell and with an assuring ‘click’ I sprinted towards the library, the place I know someone would appreciate me, the books.

 

And here he was reading again, turning each page with a careful finger. He had to treasure these books, or else he would be left alone again. Without anyone to understand his child-like self.

 

Because all what people saw was his genius-self.

 

 

 

But he was still hopeful, hopeful that someone would come along and change his stagnant routine of living.

Jongdae pushed up his glasses that were sliding off my nose for a while now, repeating the action twice a minute.

 

 

 

He was bored

 

Extremely bored out of his mind.

 

Playing outside sounded like a much better idea, rather than staying in a room full of dusty books all day.

Besides, in his 5 years of living, he never, and I mean never, played outside in the snow.

 

He had decided.

 

He was going to play in that field of snow if it was the last thing he did.

 

 

 

Jongdae grabbed his unfinished book about botany and a knitted blue scarf lying a meter away from him. Even if he was to play outside, he still wanted to bring something that would remind him that he still had responsibility.

His head peeked out the door, looking left and right for anyone who would be a hinder to his wishes. The corridors looked abandoned, barely any movement.

Seeing none, he made his way carefully to the back door, mostly used be the maids and butlers who went out of the house to run errands. Jongdae crawled his way to the door as silent as a cat. Pulling out a thin card, he swiped it in the security system.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Master card detected.

Master Kim Jongdae, access granted.

 

 

 

 

Jongdae soundlessly flailed his arms at the beep of the robotic voice. The door opened slightly, allowing the 5 year old to get a glimpse of the outside world.

 

 

 

Snow

 

 

 

Snow!

 

 

GODDAMN SNOW EVERYWHERE!

 

 

 

Jongdae squealed happily at his feet touching legit snow for the first time. He ran around like a crazy dog gone wild. He laid done on a his back and began moving his limbs to make the infamous snow angel he’s been hearing about from the old man, Jongdeok, the head butler.

 

After admiring his work of art, the curious little Jongdae decided to try out his stamina and endurance by running. He got down to his ready position, and with a silent bang in his head, he flew off, along with the wind.  He ran as fast as he could, as hard as he could without looking back. He felt the chilly wind slapping his face hard and slowly penetrating his petite built; but he didn’t mind. He was free. Free as a bird

Even though he knows he must obediently come back to his cage once this moment ends.

 

 

From a distance, he could see a bright light, illuminating the dim atmosphere. Jongdae began to slow down, walking towards the source; it was such an alluring sight, giving off warmth he’s never felt before, as if it was asking him to come near it. As he drew closer, he saw a flower materialize from the light.

 

 

 

 

It was a blue Iris.

 

 

 

He held out his shaking hands, hesitating a bit before, fully extending his arm. As he touched the petal of the flower, it began to glow brighter than before. Jongdae took back his hand and covered his eyes from the blinding light. After a few seconds, the light began to recede and a man emerged in the place of the flower.

 

In the dumb way of saying things, the man was sparkling (like a vampire, in fact)

 

 

 

He stood tall, towering over the small child with his gem–like eyes. His pupils had a hue of sapphire blue, mixed with a hint of sliver at the corner, complimenting the distant look the man had. His hair was a soft color of brown, flowing with the direction of the wind. His body was covered with a royal blue cloak, hiding whatever was underneath it. The air surrounding the man was different, it was pure and clean, completely different from the air Jongdae breathes.

 

 

 

How can he tell?

 

 

 

 

Mysteriously, he just can

 

 

 

 

The man’s eyes looked down to meet the awed child.

“Who are you?” the man spoke, a thick accent that sounded familiar to Jongdae’s ear but he couldn’t recognize, echoed.

“Uh…”

“….”

“Jongdae. My name is Kim Jongdae, mister. Or… are you even a mister? You look like that fairy godmother from Cinderella” I saw the man-err-fairy’s eye twitch. I blinked rapidly

 

 

Did I say something I shouldn’t have?

 

 

“Human child, why do you disturb my slumber?”

 

 

Jongdae’s eyes sparkled. Human child?

 

 

 

 

“Human child? I knew it! You aren’t human, are you? Mister Fairy!”

“That was not what I asked, child. Answer me”

“Mister Fairy, you shouldn’t be sleeping out here in the cold anyway. You should be at home, on your bed, snuggling with your teddy bear!”

“I do not understand what you are rambling about child but if you do nt cease your mouth, I will silence it”

 

 

 

Jongdae zipped his mouth

Okay not use in irritating someone who looks like he was sleeping for a long time and woke up because his blanket got stolen.

 

 

 

But looking at the man, he looks nice actually. Totally fitting to be Kim Dora Extreme adventurer Jongdae’s friend.

 

 

 

“Hey mister! I like your cloak? You wanna know why?”

“Why”

“It’s made out of the finest best friend material!”

 

 

The fairy just turned his back on Jongdae and started walking away to the opposite direction.

“Wait! Mister Fairy! Don’t leave! I’m sowwy for saying something stupid!” I grabbed on to his cloak. The man paused before turning to look at the troublesome child.

 

 

“Aren’t you scared of me, child? I’m clearly not one of your kind, I may be a hideous and dangerous monster in disguise. I can kill you with a flick of my wrist”

 

 

 

 

Monster? This fairy knew comedy?

Totally best friend material here!

 

 

 

“You’re funny mister fairy-“,”I have a name” “-you haven’t told me so I’ll sick to mister fairy-continuing on, I don’t think you’re that scary.” The fairy’s eyes narrowed.

 

 

“You don’t know me, child. Do not presume without evidence.”

 

 

“I’m not presuming without evidence. I’m stating a fact. Someone who is dangerous would nOt give off such a warm and comforting light, you aren’t fooling anybody. And if you really wanted to kill me, then you could have done so from the moment you came out of the Iris”

Jongdae smiled at him

 

“Besides, the Blue Iris, symbolizes Hope.”

 

 

 

 

The fairy froze, his eyes taking a surprised look. He knelt down to my level and in a flash, his velvet cloak wrapped me.

“Xiumin… my name is Xiumin”

Jongdae snuggled more into the embrace of his new found friend, Xiumin.

His name had a good ring to it.

 

 

 

 

 

“Xiumin”

“Hmmm?”

“Nothing. Just wanted to say your name”

“You’re a strange human child, befriending a fairy.”

“You’re an even stranger fairy, talking to me”

 

 

 

 

Xiumin just chuckled.

“Your eyes remain hopeful even in the middle of the darkness winter brings” Xiumin smiled the human child

“I have to remain hopeful that something is out there Xiumin! If I don’t, the darkness will swallow me whole” Jongdae smiles back

Xiumin’s face was covered with a shadow.

 

 

Oh no

“Are you okay, Xiumin? D-did I say something wrong? D-do you hate m-me now? Y-you w-won’t be my friend a-anymore?”

“No! Of course I will still be your friend! It’s just that… you remind me of someone very much that the resemblance just makes me shiver.”

“I-I remind you of someone?”

Xiumin cradled Jongdae in his arms, running a hand through the brown locks. Jongdae has never had someone do that for him before

 “He was a very old friend of mine… but sadly…. He died… but you know what? Up until this day, I can hear his voice faintly. Through the Blue Iris”

“Why the b-blue I-iris?”

“Because it was the flower he left me, before he died”

“Oh… in that case… he must have really treasured you!”

 

“Why would think that, Jongdae?”

“In my opinion, he wanted you to have hope. Hope in the fact that he would return someday. I-I’m not really s-sure but I feel that, that was what he wanted to tell you”

“Thank you Jongdae, really”

“No problem! You’re my friend now! I should always be by your side.”

 

 

 

Xiumin caressed cheek of the shivering child in his arms.

“You’re cold, Jongdae… I think it’s time for you to go home”

“Promise me something first, Xiumin”

“Anything”

“Be my friend forever”

“I promise. Go to sleep Jongdae, I’ll see you tomorrow”

Smiling one last time, the exhausted child closed his eyes. Before his consciousness completely fades, he feels the pure waft of air carry him.

 

Jongdae dreams once again

 

He dreams of the sunlight of spring, and the wind carrying him to places he wanted to be in.

 

 

“Won’t you forget me after this?” Sehun asks

“How can I forget the wind that carries my troubles away. I’d be crazy to forget you.” Jongdae closes his eyes to feel the wind tickle his face.

 


Yeah update everybody! Sorry for the long wait!

But first, can I ask a question?

 

Where do you all come from? Really, you my lovely subs are popping out as fast as I eat a tub of ice cream (which is probably a world record)

Let me just hug you all

 

<33333

Btw, I may take a long time to update since I still have other fics that are ongoing, plus I'm thinking or writing another one.

Meep

I am such a bad author

 

 

 

By the way, I have a special plan after this fic is done!

 

Keyword: Reverse!

 

Continue to support this fic of mine, and let me know what you think through your comments!

 

~SnowySpring