Forget Me Not

The Green House Dome

Ever since Jongdae was just a baby, his parents always left him in the care of nannies and the household staff composed of an equal ratio of 1 maid is to 1 butler, all trained to give excellent service to their future masters. The married couple were rarely home because their work had entailed them to travel abroad year in year out. And that had made the house a very quiet environment for all its inhabitants. Though they were home on important occasions, they seem more like guests staying over for dinner rather than the masters of the house. Before Jongdae got the chance to bid his goodbye, the couple would already be rushing out holding their phones to their ears and shouting at the caller.

 

Knowing the plight of the only child of the two, most people would think that he was very pitiful and lonely boy but in contrary to the beliefs of others, he was one bright child who can illuminate the dull interior of the house whenever his presence is felt.

 

If you were to ask the people working in the Kim Household as to what kind of kid Jongdae was, they’d answer you with different recounting of their own personal experiences with their young master, but one thing is always consistently coming out of their mouth.

 

“Young Master Jongdae is a very loving, cheerful and understanding child!”

 

That’s what Jongdae wants to believe anyway

 

 

And true to that statement, the very subject of all the maids and butlers was now roaming around the chateau garden along with one of his favorite caretakers, Sang Hyun.

Sang Hyun was an awkward teenager going through puberty who was just starting his duty as the personal butler of the young master of the house. He is also the child of the head butler and head maid of the prestigious Kim estate which puts him in a very stressful position. But the pressure he feels always seems to disappear at the site of his favorite master (or his only master for that matter) running towards him, smiling widely even after he trips.

The young butler-in-training considered himself lucky to be serving such a cute and loving master.

 

“Sang Hyun-hyung! They planted new Zinnias and Forget-me-nots today! They look so pretty and beautiful! I hope they continue to grow so that we can have plenty of these flowers to give to everyone in the house this coming Valentine’s day!!” the teenager just chuckled at his 10 year old master’s logic.

“Why Zinnias and Forget-me-nots though? Why not roses?”

“It’s because Zinnias symbolize daily remembrances… and Forget-me-nots symbolizes memories. I wanted everyone to remember me!”

“Why wouldn’t we all remember you? You’re our very precious master!” Sang Hyun kneeled in front of the little Jongdae, putting his hands on the younger’s shoulders. He pulled the child into his embrace, trapping him.

“You never know Sang Hyun hyung… You will never know…” Jongdae just whispered into his chest.

Sang Hyun’s eyes softened

Maybe Jongdae wasn’t all that cheerful at all. The way he views the world was child-like, but at the same time sophisticated. Most children would not have a care in the world…. But … this child… he had been stronger than Sang Hyun could ever be.

He was about to lecture the kid silently clutching his shirt, when he felt a light shove in the chest.

Jongdae looked up at Sang Hyun with bright eyes once again.

“I’ll go exploring now hyung! See you later!”

“Just be back before lunch so that we can all eat together!”

“Sure~”

Sang Hyun watched sadly as the child turned his back on him and started running in the opposite direction. When he sees Jongdae’s back facing him, he can never shake out the nervous feeling that his little man was not coming back.

 

Sang Hyun could only hope that it would just remain a feeling.

 

Just a feeling.

~

Jongdae was feeling quite adventurous today.

 

He had been stuck inside the mansion for how many days now, trying to attend to his lessons, his parents managed to push unto him. Despite his cheerful personality, he was a child genius that required a keen eye to monitor his progress and a more advanced kind of learning. His parents invite many different people in every possible subject matter, all acknowledged in their respective fields, to try and get Jongdae to learn from them. But Jongdae could only make the professionals’ mouth agape in awe.

 

 

He was in a different level

 

 

 

That was the general statement of all the individuals who came to visit him.

But Jongdae wanted his parents to understand that he was just a kid like other people his age were. He still needed to play and experience the great outdoors so he persistently argued for a garden to be built.  It was to become his territory, better yet, his sanctuary, and no one who did not gain his permission was unauthorized to enter his garden.

The outer portion of the garden was governed by tall trees of all kinds, situated there to act as the walls of the castle Jongdae was caring for inside. No one would be able to get into the inner landscape without knowing the trail leading to the green house. The green house was a large transparent dome with different kinds of species of flowers inside, in the middle, a large platform could be found. There was a small living room set at the right hand corner and a large king sized bed adjacent to it. In the middle, a stairway leading to a place only Jongdae and his ‘friends’ know sat mysteriously.

 

When the adventurer opens the doors to his haven, a chorus of greetings and welcoming hugs overwhelm his small built.

“Jongdae! You’re back!”

“I missed you~ You didn’t come for a week!”

“How are you doing? Still have those old bald people coming?”

“Baldies? Do you want me to beat them up for you?!”

“What? You’re being attacked by those hideous white haired humans? Let me at them!”

 

Jongdae could only laugh at his friends’ worry over him.

“It’s fine guys! I got them to stop coming! I was supposed to entertain those adults for at least two weeks but I managed to reduce it to one!”

“Good Job, Chen-ah!” a short man with an icy cold waft of wind hugged me from behind.

“Your skin is cold, Xiumin Hyung” I shivered at the cold air tickling my body.

“Sorry!” the man had squeaked.

This was Xiumin. The eldest of all my friends. He was a winter fae master who looks too young to be at least a hundred years old. But don’t be fooled by his young appearance; he was one of the wisest elders of their kind who has saved them countless tragedies with his vast knowledge on potions and spells.

“Move over Baozi! I want my much needed dose of Jongdae! I missed you so~~~~ much!” A doe eyed forest fairy tackled me to the ground, rubbing his cheeks against mine.

“I missed you too Luhan! Hehehe I really need to hear you play the harp again!”

“Of course! Anything for my favorite little man” he ruffled my hair messing it for the nth time since we met.

Luhan was a forest fairy with a bambi for his spirit animal. He can turn into it whenever he goes around the world, keeping forests and nature in balance. He was tasked by the Queen fairy to monitor all human activities in the Asian portion, which eventually paved the way for him to meet me. He also has a divine talent in playing the harp, accompanied by Sehun on the flute, and the two vocals, Baekhyun and D.O., they were an unbeatable choir of angels.

“Hey! D.O and I can sing for you! Go sit on the couch! We’ll bring the dome down! Right D.O?” A brunet remained suspended on air proudly smiling with a wide eyed earth fairy just a few centimeters behind him nodding enthusiastically

Baekhyun was a light elder in charge of well… light… he makes sure that every part of this world was able to recieve it. Despite his playful appearance, he was one of the greatest warriors of the fairy that defended his kind from the unnamed forces he refused to talk about. He used an unusual weapon, his voice. His voice had the power to shake world if used at full power. Now that was a power I would want.

D.O, or Kyungsoo on the other hand was a earth fae. He makes sure that the earth is able to gain a fixed amount of sustenance every day. He can also interpret the movements of the earth and translate them into words, so he got Kyungsoo to talk to the land found within his territory and he got a very positive feedback, accompanied with thankful murmurs and a celebratory gift of making the flowers, found in the dome, bloom all at the same time. Let’s just say that Jongdae didn’t come home and he was severely scolded the next day.

“Just sit back and relax Jongdae-ah” D.O said quietly as he pulled me to flight. He places me down softly on the couch large enough to accommodate every one of us. 

 

 

Just like one big family

 

 

Family

 

 

 

Jongdae could only sigh at the word.

 

“Are you okay Dae? You look unhappy. Do you need me to heal you a bit? Just to relieve the stress?” Yixing, the unicorn asked with a frown decorating his face. He sits beside me for good measure.

“No good Xing Xing! You shouldn’t frown its bad for the face. You might get wrinkles” I giggled slightly.

“So how was your day, kiddo? Did anything special?” The Dragon embodiment questioned. Kris hyung was a nice dragon. He doesn’t eat people like the myths imply.

“I bet you were bothered by those baldies for hours!” Chanyeol, my phoenix buddy let out an exasperated sigh.

“Yeah! We should really take you away from here! It’s not good for your well-being” The golden warrior agreed balling his fist. Tao was usually gentle and soft spoken, but with all the stress I’ve been receiving, he tries to keep his anger in check most of the time now.

“Sehunnie and I can take you out of this mansion in a flash and nobody would be able to see you!” Kai, the fairy blessed with one of the rarest gifts in fae history, scoffed. He was born with the gift of teleportation which was originally the gift of the oldest elder of their kind.

“Kai is right… We should just get you out of here…I’m sure you’d be a lot happier at our place” Sehun nodded at his own suggestion.

 

 

My eyes softened at their words

They were always worried about me.

But they never gave me the chance to worry about them.

 

“You guys are the absolute best! And I would love to leave this house,” everyone’s eyes brightened up at my words “But it’s not the right time…Maybe when I feel like it”

My eyes wondered to the Forget-me-nots sitting prettily not too far from where we were all sitting. I stood up and began to walk towards the flora, taking slow but sure steps.

I sat in front of the flower and began to admire its beauty.

“I’ll go… but when I’m sure the spell would be in full effect” I muttered at the flower.

 

“You mean to say, you’re about to use the potion?” Xiumin’s eyes grew serious

“Hmmm… After I leave the people inside the mansion a small gift” I pushed up my black framed glasses.

“Then you’ve made your final decision, Jongdae? You can never come back and you know it”

I turned towards the calm voice of the most powerful water fae. Suho was the current guardian of all the faeries and he held the next highest position after the queen. He was a trusted advisor but was also one of my most loyal friends.

I sprang up and ran towards him and tackled him in the stomach. He just laughed out loud and swung me around. He placed me down softly on the ground.

 Our eyes connected for a single moment understanding what we both wanted to say

 

Later

 

They would talk later

“Let’s go and listen to the vocals give their performance now, okay?”

“Hmm!”

Suho then carried me back to the couch, walking over the floor but not touching it.

“Let the fun begin!” Baekhyun tried to uplift the tension filing the air with his voice

Luhan and Sehun moved to the performance area and took their places on both sides of the vocalists. With the first strum of Luhan’s harp, the legendary performance of the two best singers of all fae began.

I closed my tired eyes taking in the sweet sounding notes the two were belting out. Only the voices of the petite men echoed inside the dome, bringing life to the little nature inside it.

 

Slowly, my senses were dulling…

Until the only thing I could sense was I drifting to sleep.

A much deserved rest, I convinced myself

A familiar scene passes by my eyes

 

 

I dream of first meetings and the winter approaching

 

I began to go back to the time when I first met my first ever friend, Xiumin.

“You’re eyes remain hopeful even in the middle of the darkness winter brings” Xiumin smiled the human child

“I have to remain hopeful that something is out there mister! If I don’t, the darkness will swallow me whole” Jongdae smiles back