Fate is a Twisted Thing

Messenger of the Deceased

I finally finished it. This is almost for sure the last part. 

Chapter includes topics of suicide and character death. Read with your own discretion.

The first part of this was inspired by a suggestion from a reader AngelD. Thank her for the first part. She sparked this idea, I just ran away with it.


Aron had always liked to look back on past experiences and keep them fresh in his memory. Now, reminiscing had become much more frequent for the medium. It was both lovely and saddening. Some memories were precious and others he'd just rather forget. Some were the best events of his life but would only come once regardless of how much he wished to live it again. 

Memories could be fleeting things that faded with time. Aron found that the more he focused on recalling them, the more detail he etched into his mind. 

Photographs would never be able to replace the sights, smells, sounds and feelings of past experiences that your mind remembered. A picture was small window into the real, life-like recollection that could be stored in your head. It couldn't compare. 

Aron couldn't afford to let a single memory fade away, good or bad. His memories were gifts that he refused to lose. 





Today was the day. After five years together, it was time to tie the knot. Both of them certainly weren't getting any younger. Aron was pushing thirty and figured now was as good as any to claim his long time boyfriend as his and his alone. 

The medium had dyed his hair again. This time it was a dark red colour that worked wonders with the classic black and white tux he was sporting for such an important occasion. Jason and Baekho were in the room with him, already breaking into the champagne. Such responsible Best Men. Ren and JR were in a separate room with his soon-to-be-husband probably trying to perfect the already perfect Minhyun Hwang. 

Aron's nerves spiked, excitement and anxiety mixing into a pit of butterflies that sat in his stomach. People said it all the time; marriage was nerve racking and the red-head learned the hard way that they really weren't exaggerating. 

"Ron, you'll wreck your suit if you keep wringing it with your hands like that," Jason piped up, his head of dark hair tipping back to consume a glass of champagne. 

"Having second thoughts?" Baekho teased, grinning. 

He wouldn't quit bugging his friend. The blond had already gone through this step in life with Ren. They got married in the States last year and with a husband like Ren, Baekho certainly knew of nerves. Now that Aron was in his position, he took great fun in bothering him.

Aron released the hem of his jacket and began pacing again. "What time is it?" 

Jason checked his watch. "It's exactly two minutes since you last asked me." 

The medium groaned and caved, reaching for a glass and pouring himself some champagne to hopefully calm himself. 

Baekho and Jason just laughed at him as he drowned the alcohol. 

Eventually, JR came to the door and announced that the ceremony was going to begin and Aron needed to get into place. The ceremony hall was all designed by Minhyun and Ren. Aron could hardly pay attention to the flowers and colours around him. It was a small gathering under a big white tent with an ocean view of the Californian coast. Aron's own sisters and grandparents were seated to his right and two chairs were left for the attendance of Aron's parents' spirits. He could see them, so solid that they looked like they were physically there even though the medium knew that couldn't be possible. His father looked so proud and he could see tears in his mother's smiling eyes. Minhyun's own parents had come as well, seated in the rows to Aron's left. It was a bittersweet reunion for the Hwang family. Their relationship with their son was still rocky at best but they were working on it. Aron was just glad that they came to witness their son's marriage. Minhyun really needed it. Jason and Baekho were on Aron's right and JR and Ren were on Aron's left, leaving a spot for the maid-of-honour, Minhyun’s best friend. Aron could see her, though no one else could. She deserved the role most definitely. The only one missing was the groom.

Nothing, absolutely nothing could compare to the overwhelming love and happiness that the medium felt watching his fiancé walk down the isle with his sister towards him. The tall brunet looked dashing in a white suit with a black tie. His smile lit up his whole face and Aron found himself brightly returning the grin.

Minhyun made it to the front, taking his place in front of Aron and the minister. The two held hands as the minister began the ceremony. Aron didn’t really like the cheesiness of some romances, but he honestly only half heard the words spoken at the ceremony. Minhyun’s face was much more interesting. It wasn’t until they were supposed to say their vows that Aron began paying more attention.

Minhyun started, holding his almost-husband’s gaze with a wide smile. "Aron, we met under unreal circumstances, became friends and fell in love. I can't help but feel as if it was all planned out, all pre-determined. You saved me, patched me back up and took my mended heart for your own. To be standing here today, facing you, about to enter a sacred commitment with you; I couldn't be happier.

“As your husband, I vow to offer up my advice and guidance in difficult decisions. I promise to take care of you and chase the bad spirits away. I promise to remain loyal and to only see you well into the afterlife. I vow to cherish you and love every one of your faults. I've fallen in love with your strength, wisdom, and goofiness. You make me smile and laugh more than I ever have before meeting you. I hope you will continue to bring light and joy into my life for years to come." 

Aron squeezed the taller male’s hands, a smile stretched across his lips. "Minhyun, you've accepted me; a stranger who claimed to talk to the dead. In my world of loneliness, you brought me back to the world of the living and for that I will be eternally grateful.

“As your wedded partner, I promise to protect you, as I promised to a spirit so long ago. I vow to take care of you in every way I can and bring unending happiness into your life. Sometimes I can be difficult but I hope you continue to love me as much as I love you. I will support you in all your decisions and offer up comfort when needed. You are my forever, in this life and the next." 

Minhyun’s eyes grew misty and Aron could see him trying not to cry. The minister finished up the ceremony, ending it with a kiss. Aron and Minhyun’s sisters were crying and Aron’s Californian friends were cheering and whistling. The medium kept a hold on one of his husband’s wrists and lead him down the isle again, trying to avoid the rice his buddies were aiming right at his head.

Aron pulled them to a stop under a tree in the back part of the gardens. He didn’t say anything; he just pulled his husband in for a kiss. The pair shared a sweet moment under the shade offered by the branches above them.

Aron didn’t want to let Minhyun go but the younger male pulled back first. “Ronnie, we can’t miss the party and speeches.”

The medium just shushed him. “Let me enjoy a minute with my husband, Mr. Kwak-Hwang.”

Minhyun broke out into a grin and pecked the red-head on the mouth. “We’ll indulge tonight. For now, let’s go visit our family.”

“Alright, alright, one more kiss.” Aron reached up and stole another kiss.

The newly weds then decided to join in on the party, mingling with family and friends. Aron’s sisters found them first and the two of them immediately ran to their new brother-in-law, completely ignoring their actual brother. Minhyun laughed and awkwardly tried to hug them both without falling over. Aron rolled his eyes and possibly pouted – just a little bit. Luckily, Minhyun’s own sister, Sujin came over and hugged the neglected Aron.

“Congratulations, Aron!” Sujin smiled widely and hugged her brother once Grace and Hannah let him go.

“It’s official! Minhyun isn’t getting away from us,” Grace warned in English, still clutching the tall brunet’s arm.

Aron rolled his eyes. “He’s mine, not yours. Law says so.”

Grace childishly stuck her tongue out at her older brother and Minhyun laughed. His English had improved a lot and Grace and Hannah had also taken up learning Korean. It made it easier to communicate.

“Are these your sisters, Aron?” Sujin asked in her native language.

The medium introduced the three of them rather hesitantly. He and Minhyun had had conversations of this fateful meeting numerous times. Now it was really happening.

Grace and Hannah greeted Sujin and the three women began talking animatedly. The medium tired to tune them out but it was fruitless. Grace once again stole his husband and was speaking rapidly to him in the Korean that she knew. The older male was surprised by how much she had learned in such a short amount of time.

“Why did your parents have to make you both so pretty?” Grace boldly gushed in Korean, basically caressing Minhyun’s face.

Aron groaned internally at his sister’s manners – or lack of – and pinched her arm. “Speak appropriately,” he reprimanded her in English.  

Grace yelped and rubbed her arm, effectively letting go of Minhyun. Aron snatched back his husband and Sujin laughed at the expression on her brother’s face. He no doubt felt like a sack of potatoes being passed around in a children’s game.

“I’ll take it as a compliment,” Sujin replied, smiling. “Your sisters are cute. Exactly how I pictured them.”

Grace beamed and Hannah glanced down a little shyly. Aron scoffed. “They’re the devil incarnate, I swear.”

Grace smacked him and Hannah crossed her arms, glaring. Aron laughed.

“Minnie, why did you have to marry my brother again? He’s so cruel. Why couldn’t you just marry one of us? Preferably me.” Grace grinned widely, fluttering her eyelashes.

Minhyun laughed, by now used to their antics. He did spend a week in California a few years before with Aron. There he was completely exposed to Grace and Hannah’s odd behaviour.

“Because I love your brother. He isn’t cruel, he’s an older brother. I’m sure you’re used to it by now.” Minhyun glanced over at his husband and smiled.

Aron threaded their fingers together.

“But still,” Grace whined.

Hannah patted her back and caught sight of Ren and Baekho across the tent. “Rennie!” She squealed and she and Grace took off to go harass the blond couple.

“They’re very lively. I’ve always wanted a little sister,” Sujin admitted, watching them take off.

“Is that why I was subjected to makeovers and tea parties when we were ten?” Minhyun grumbled.

Aron tried to hide a snicker. It didn’t work and Minhyun pinched his side. “Ow!”

“Don’t laugh! I bet Grace and Hannah put you in a few dresses when you were younger.”

The medium shivered at the memory. Minhyun was spot on. Aron could still remember the times he was quite literally tied to a small plastic chair at the age of twelve, dressed in one of Hannah’s princess gowns and a tiara. Those were some dark times.

Sujin just laughed and excused herself when she saw a couple guys standing behind the new couple, probably looking to congratulate them. Aron smiled widely when he saw a few of his high school friends. He hadn’t seen them in years but he still felt close. He had emailed them regularly.

“Congrats, man!” Jesse smacked the medium on the back, nearly throwing him off his feet. The burly surfer was as tall as ever, even towering over Minhyun.

“I’m happy for you, Ron.” Tom grinned, his suit tie already half undone. The sincerity Aron saw in his eyes was undoubtedly real but it was so odd to see it. Tom had always been unsupportive of homoual relationships and was very open about his opinions. But yet, here he was publicly announcing that he was happy for his friend. Maybe time really does change people.

The third guest stood a little ways back from the other two, hands shoved deeply into his pant pockets. Jaewan, Aron’s fellow Korean friend, had his head low, with a deep scowl etched into his brows. The others called him by his English name, Jayden but Aron often spoke to him in Korean when they called and Skyped each other.

“Jaewan, have you met Minhyun yet?”

Jaewan finally met their eyes. “Is he your first ? Or second?” He spoke in Korean so Jesse and Tom remained oblivious but Minhyun understood. Aron’s eyebrows shot into his hairline and Minhyun visibly flinched. Jaewan was Aron’s oldest friend. He had been completely supportive of his relationship with Minhyun and agreed with gay rights. The medium couldn’t understand the sudden hostility.

“Excuse me?” The red-head went into defense mode.

“I said is he your-”

“I know what you said,” Aron cut him off. “What I want to know is why you're acting this way? You’ve never had a problem in the past with my relationship. Why did you suddenly change your mind and decide to let me know at my wedding?”

Jaewan shut up suddenly, his eyes falling down to his feet once again. Aron was just about to continue questioning him when his friend suddenly his heel and walked away.

“What was that?” Jesse asked eyes wide. Tom was frowning and Minhyun had reverted to nervously shifting from foot-to-foot.

“I don’t know,” Aron mumbled, watching Jaewan’s retreating back.

“So,” Tom changed the subject, “has anyone broken into the wine?”

Aron cracked a smile, grateful for the attempt. “I assume so. Jason probably has at this point.”

“Well then, why don’t we join him in the party? You two are so anti-social at your own celebration!” Tom cried, his southern accent seeping into his words.

The red-head grinned widely and he, his husband and his two friends went to go hunt down Jason or the drinks, whichever came first. Minhyun spotted the dark-haired Chinese man first and Jesse and Tom took off towards him. Aron was just about to join in on the pursuit when he caught sight of his parents standing off to the side of the gardens.

Minhyun glanced curiously at him but he quickly encouraged him to go save Jason from the rough Americans and Aron approached his parents’ spirits alone.

“Eomma, Appa,” Aron greeted, smiling.

“Oh my darling boy, you must be suffering so much,” Mrs. Kwak gushed in English, her eyes sad.

The medium looked at her, confused. Why should he be suffering? It was his wedding today. He was married to the man he loved.

His father smiled softly and took his wife’s hand. “Stay strong, Aron.”

“What are you guys talking about?” Aron furrowed his brows, trying to make sense of their vague way of speaking. “I don’t like ghost riddles, you know. Why should I be sad?”

His mom shook her head and hugged her husband’s side. “Not everything is the way it seems. Some things are just not meant to be, no matter how much we wish them to be real.”

“Eomma,” Aron started but shut up as soon as his mother placed her hand on his cheek and he actually felt her. Spirits couldn’t be felt in the real world, except by an odd gush of wind or a random area of cold air. She was warm. It was like she was truly there in front of him.

Aron opened his mouth to ask another question but the pair just smiled and their image faded before his eyes. Minhyun quickly approached from behind him before the medium could really think about anything else.

“Ronnie, we have to go do the toast. Then they’ll be doing speeches.”

“Alright…” Aron mumbled, letting himself be pulled along by his husband. Now wasn’t the time to be decoding strange ghost talk. Now was the time to be celebrating his marriage to this amazing person.

 

 

 

“Oh wow,” Minhyun whispered in awe upon entering the hotel room.

They were staying at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. It was the least likely place to have random spirits floating around so that Aron could peacefully spend time with his husband. Each room in the hotel was styled differently than all the others. There was also a pool, spa, restaurant and ballroom. The room they were staying in for the next few days was titled the China Flower and was beautifully decorated in Asian accents, beige, black and burgundy with gold trim. Aron had picked it in order for Minhyun to get a little feel for their home while they were enjoying their honeymoon in California.

“Do you like it?” The medium asked, smiling at the taller male. Minhyun nodded, drifting into the room with a dreamy look on his face and letting his hands run over the bedspread and chairs. Aron chuckled and thanked the bellhop for bringing up their luggage. The boy tipped his hat and closed the door behind him.

As soon as the sound of the door clicking shut resonated around the room, Minhyun threw himself onto the King bed and let out a big satisfied sigh. “I could get used to living here.”

“Just wait until you see the pool and spa.” The medium grinned and fell back onto the large bed, his head landing softly against Minhyun’s back.

The younger glanced over his shoulder at the red-head. “Can we go to the pool now?”

Aron nodded and got up, going to their luggage for their swim stuff. After getting ready the couple headed down to the pool that was right outside of the building they were roomed in. Everything was easily nearby and hardly a walk. Minhyun swung their entwined hands as they headed for the pool.

“There’s barely anyone here,” Minhyun commented and Aron glanced at the three other sets of people occupying the pool and concrete lounge area. A male and female were laid out on chairs, soaking up the sun. The other two couples were in the pool; a male and female and two females.

Aron picked a set of empty chairs and put their towels down. “Want to go in?”

Minhyun nodded and walked to the edge of the pool, looking over his shoulder at his husband with a grin on his face. Aron chuckled and dashed towards him before he could jump, effectively pushing him into the pool instead. Minhyun yelped, falling in face first. Aron jumped in after him, splashing as he landed. He could hear the squeals of the female couple before he went under. When he resurfaced, he could see Minhyun laughing with his soaked hair sticking up in weird places.

“Hey! Little warnin’ would ‘ave been nice!” A woman’s voice called, laughing in her heavily accented voice. Aron turned to see a pretty brunette wiping her now wet hair out of her face. The blonde woman floating next to her was laughing.

Aron couldn’t help the smile that stretched across his lips. “Sorry!” Minhyun bowed his head in apology, small giggles escaping his lips.

The female that spoke swam closer to the other two, her partner following. “Honeymoon, I assume?” Her accent was southern.

Aron nodded, laughing. “Is it that obvious?”

“No, it’s just that we’re on ours and you two look as happy as we feel,” the blonde replied, smiling. Her accent was lighter than her wife’s.

The red-headed male chuckled. “Congratulations.”

“And to ya’ two.” The brunette smiled. “I’m Zoë, by the way.” She held out her hand and Aron shook it.

“Michelle,” the blonde spoke up, smiling.

“I’m Aron and this is-”

“Minhyun,” the younger male spoke up. “I can introduce myself.” His accent was thick as he pronounced the English words.

Aron chuckled. “Sorry, I know.”

Zoë tilted her head curiously. “Where are ya’ guys from?”

“South Korea. Though, I was born and raised here in Cali,” Aron explained.

Michelle smiled at Minhyun. “How do ya’ like the Californian sun, Minheh- ah sorry.” Her cheeks turned red from the miss-pronunciation.

Minhyun chuckled a little. “It’s okay. Call me Min. I like the sun. It’s hotter than I am used to.”

“We’re from Texas ourselves. We’re used to the heat,” Zoë commented. Her freckled cheeks puffed up when she smiled.

“Oh, I see. So you decided to get married up here?” Aron drifted over to the shallow end so that he could stand on the bottom. The other three followed.

“Yeah. We’ve always wanted to visit the coast so we thought, ‘why not get married while we’re at it?’”

Aron nodded and Michelle glanced between the two males. “So you wanted to get married in your home state?”

“That and South Korea isn’t as supportive with this kind of relationship.”

“We totally get that.” Zoë sighed. Michelle climbed out of the pool and walked over to a pile of towels and a gym bag. “Zo, our spa appointment is in five minutes,” she announced.

“Ah, we gotta go then. We’ll probably see ya’ two again while we’re ‘ere.” Zoë got out as well and she and Michelle waved.

Aron and Minhyun returned the waves as the two women got farther and farther away. The medium watched his husband sigh and fall back, floating on the surface of the pool. The couple on the chairs were the only others at the pool. Aron smirked and dunked under the water, disappearing from Minhyun’s view.

Moments later the unsuspecting brunet let out a squeal, getting pulled under the water by his ankle. Aron dragged him down and broke above the surface moments later. He laughed, water dripping from his hair and chin. Minhyun came up soon after, sputtering and glaring daggers at his husband.

“You’re going to get it!” he warned.

The war was declared and the two battled it out in the pool until the sun was nearing the tree line and the two were more prune than human.

 

 

 

Aron woke up by an unwelcome smack in the face. The medium grumbled and peeked open an eye to see Minhyun rolled onto his stomach with his arm thrown over Aron’s face. That wasn’t a very nice way to be woken out of a dream.

The blond smiled to himself when the light streaming through the window caught the gleam of the gold band adorning Minhyun’s finger and he temporarily forgot the fingers poking his nose. The proposal still hadn’t fully sunk into Aron’s mind, even though he was the one who knelt and asked the big question. It had only been a few days but the whole concept of fiancé was still just an idea to the medium, instead of a fact. But still, here he was dreaming about the wedding and honeymoon way in advance. He had only searched up places so far, looking at ideal wedding spots and hotels for them to stay at. Two of the options seemed to have stuck in his head.

Minhyun’s hand was becoming irritating, nails uncomfortably scratching Aron’s cheek. The medium lifted the long appendage and sat up, letting the sheets pool in his lap. “Min,” the blond whispered, running his fingertips up and down the taller male’s back.

The brunet mumbled in his sleep and shivered lightly. Aron smiled devilishly and ran the tips of his fingers lightly over the small of his back. “Baby, wake up,” he cooed in English, leaning down to blow hot air into Minhyun’s ear.

The brunet turned his head away, effectively hiding his ear but at the same time bearing his other ear to Aron’s teasing. The medium’s smile grew and he let his fingers travel lower, slipping under the edge of the sheet that was folded along Minhyun’s waist. Slowly, Aron slid his foot along Minhyun’s calf and found the inside of his bare thigh. The taller male groaned in his sleep, causing Aron to freeze, unsure if he woke up.

“Minhyun,” the blond whispered, gently massaging the skin stretched across Minhyun’s backbone. Aron smirked and decided to act, playfully pinching his fiancé’s and tugging the piercing in his exposed ear with his teeth.

Minhyun cried out, thrashing wildly. Now he was awake.

Aron narrowly avoided the flailing arms and legs and laughed at the deadly glare sent his way. “That hurt,” the brunet hissed.

“Sorry, but not sorry. Your is just too tempting in the morning, and afternoon, and evening. So pretty much at any time of the day.” Aron grinned innocently.

Minhyun huffed and flopped onto his stomach again, burying his face into his pillow. “Let me sleep.”

“Nope, not a chance,” Aron replied. “There is no way you’re going to be sleeping peacefully in here with absolutely nothing on that glorious body. I suggest that you either get out of bed, throw on some clothes and say hi to sunlight or we can go for round three right now.”

Minhyun just waved his hand above his head, almost hitting Aron’s face, and snuggled deeper into his tangled cocoon of sheets.

Aron would have none of that. The medium shifted lower on the bed and ducked under the covers. Moments later, Minhyun’s shrill squeal bounced around the room. Sunlight would have to wait for a little while longer.

 

 

 

 

“Is the coffee ready yet?” Minhyun asked, perched on a stool at the kitchen island. His sleepy expression wouldn’t be going anywhere until he was given his morning coffee.

“Almost,” Aron replied, moving around the kitchen to flip their omelets and finish frying the bacon.

“When do you want to have the wedding?” The brunet asked for the umpteenth time.

“My answer is still the same; we’ll figure that out later. Can we just enjoy being fiancés for now?”

Minhyun hummed and jumped to his feet when the coffee maker went off, signaling that it was done. Aron plated their omelets and flipped the bacon. The morning had become a routine; it was almost boring.

“Shoot, we’re out of creamer. I’ll go get some more. Be right back.” Minhyun pecked Aron’s cheek and headed for the door. A deep dread settled in Aron’s stomach. He didn’t know why but he felt nervous all of a sudden. He felt like neither of them should step foot out of the apartment.

“Hey, can’t you just go without today? Or just use milk.” The medium tried to casually stop his fiancé from leaving the house.

“The corner store is just down the street. You know how I am with my coffee.” Minhyun smiled and slipped on his shoes. “I’ll be back in a few minutes. Don’t miss me too much.”

Aron watched from the doorway as the brunet walked down the hall and stepped into the elevator. The worry multiplied and he had to practically force himself to shut the door and return to the stove so that the bacon didn’t burn. He couldn’t shake the feeling as he slowly ate his omelet alone at the kitchen island. His eyes kept flickering up to the digital clock on the microwave. Five minutes passed and the knot in Aron’s stomach tightened. Ten minutes passed and Aron felt that it was harder to breathe. The medium had felt this way before when a spirit attached itself to him. It hadn’t happened to him in a while.

“I’m back,” Minhyun called suddenly. The blond jumped at least three feet in his seat. He hadn’t even heard him come in. Minhyun started laughing, finding his fiancé’s reaction hilarious.

“Don’t do that. You nearly gave me a heart attack!” Aron exclaimed, his heart beating a mile a minute. The medium could hardly hear the car horns and sirens from the bustling city streets of Seoul below them over the beating in his ears.

“Sorry,” Minhyun apologized and wrapped his arms around his fiancé’s chest from behind.

“Where’s the creamer?” The medium didn’t see any plastic bag or little carton anywhere.

“They were out of it. I’ll live with milk for today.”

Aron flinched when Minhyun brushed his fingers along his collarbone by accident. “You’re cold!”

The younger male turned sheepish. “I might have rummaged through the ice cream freezer while I was there. I didn’t get any though.”

The blond couldn’t help but start laughing. Minhyun looked like a child who was caught with his hand in the cookie jar. It was amusing. Aron was just about to playfully reprimand him when Minhyun suddenly planted a cold kiss on his lips.

Aron jumped a little at the cool smooth mouth pressed against his. That little liar, he did have ice cream. The medium abandoned that thought for the time being and enjoyed the feeling of the kiss. The blond began letting his hands roam his fiancé’s body but the owner of said body stopped him.

“Can we just stay inside all day, alone? I just want to lounge around, talking and cuddling.”

The request seemed simple enough. Aron readily agreed and he got up, taking Minhyun’s cool fingers in his own and led him to the sofa in the other room. The pair got comfortable on the couch and Aron shifted them so that Minhyun was half lying across the couch, leaning against the blond’s side. The medium used the arm of the couch as a prop and wrapped his free arm around his lover. A flash of silver passed Aron’s line of sight as he was holding the younger male but as soon as it appeared, it disappeared.

“You know how much I love you, right?” Minhyun suddenly asked.

Aron was just about to respond when the phone began ringing. Minhyun shivered violently and before Aron could even tighten his hold on him, the lights flickered and the phone’s ringing abruptly cut off. A power outage? If it was, it was quick.

“Why are you so cold suddenly?” Aron asked, rubbing Minhyun’s arms.

“I’m fine. Are you going to answer my question?” The brunet rested his head.

The medium kissed Minhyun’s temple. “I know how much you love me. I love you too.”

The younger smiled but it didn’t reach his eyes. There was a deeper emotion behind the smile.

Suddenly, Aron’s cell phone started vibrating in his pocket and he fished it out but the vibrating had stopped. He frowned and fiddled with the device, finding the battery to be all of a sudden dead. There was absolutely no explanation, except spirit interception. Often, spirits would drain the batteries to cell phones and cameras, as well as play with the electricity. Maybe that was why Minhyun was so cold; a spirit may have attached itself to him. The medium couldn’t sense any presence and his spirit guilds hadn’t shown anything. Something was off.

“Where do you think you would be if I hadn’t come into your life?” Minhyun questioned. It seemed the brunet wanted to venture the deep subjects.

Aron took a moment to imagine it. He would have remained a social-outcast mainly, with maybe Ren, Baekho and Jason as his only friends. He would have achieved his degree, just as he did now but he would have probably moved back to the US eventually. Minhyun was the primary reason the blond was still in Korea.

Aron told his fiancé as such and the brunet chewed on his cheek, mulling the answer over. “Do you ever regret meeting me?”

“Never,” Aron answered immediately. He would never regret it. “You’re my family, my life now. A life without you would be unbearable.”

Minhyun dropped his gaze to the floor and Aron watched the unknown emotions run across his face. They were too quick and sudden for the medium to distinguish between them. He just hoped this wasn’t anything too serious. If it was a spirit, he hoped it showed itself soon, for his sake and of course, Minhyun’s.

“Hold me,” Minhyun requested, his voice was small.

Aron held him. The two of them lay like that, on the couch, in silence. The medium must have been dozing off because he hardly heard what Minhyun whispered to him – at least he thought Minhyun whispered it. Maybe it was his imagination.

“I’m sorry, Ronnie. I wanted to do so much. It seems I had a different path. I love you so much. Remember me.”

The next time the medium woke up; he didn’t remember ever hearing anything. Minhyun was still curled up against him and he was still cold. Aron shifted and another flash of silver invaded his vision before disappearing. Maybe he was finally going crazy after all these years of ghost whispering.

“Are you awake, sleepyhead?” Minhyun asked, smiling up at Aron.

 The blond nodded and rubbed his eye. “Mhm. How long was I out?”

“A little over two hours I think.”

Aron grunted in reply and yawned, stretching his arms above his head. A frown crossed Minhyun’s face and he caught his fiancé’s gaze. Those almond brown eyes were speaking volumes to the medium. Love, sorrow, regret, guilt, and a little desperation shone through them. Aron had no idea where it was all coming from.

“Ronnie,” Minhyun whispered, tears shimmering in his voice. “I’m out of time.”

“What?” The medium was at a total loss on what his fiancé meant.

Minhyun stood up and Aron could finally fully see it. The source of the shining from before; connected to Minhyun’s back, where his heart was generally located, was a taunt silver cord. It shone when he moved and faded a foot or two behind him in the direction of the front door. Aron’s stomach filled with dread again, so much colder than it was this morning.

Before he could say anything, Minhyun took his hand and pulled him up off the couch. “I have to show you something.”

The medium found that he couldn’t speak, his throat wouldn’t produce sound. He let the brunet lead him to the front door and into the hallway and to the elevator, still in their slippers. That was hardly a concern right now since they were currently following a faint silver cord that was protruding from Minhyun’s chest. Aron stumbled along, letting himself be pulled along by his fiancé.

They made it out onto the streets of Seoul and continued walking down the sidewalk, stopping at crossings and taking several turns. Aron kept receiving weird looks but Minhyun didn’t let up until they made it to the doors of Seoul National University Hospital. The younger male stopped momentarily at the front doors but soon pulled Aron along inside. In the chaos of the emergency care unit, Aron’s presence was left pretty much ignored. In all the confusion, Minhyun’s cool grip had disappeared. A nurse came up to Aron, asking him the reason he was standing in the middle of a bustling, bloody room of patients and doctors. The nurse was quickly pulled away by a doctor in a white coat and Aron was left to glance around aimlessly. Minhyun suddenly grabbed him again and pulled him down a hall with more private rooms. He stood in front of room 213 but before he could read the name below the number, he was pushed inside by Minhyun.

The room was cold, white and too clean, like most hospital rooms. It was designed for only one patient. Aron could hear the buzzing and whirring of different machines and noticed the occupied bed and occupied chair. The figure in the chair stood in a rush and Aron realized it was Sujin, Minhyun’s sister of all people.

She was disheveled and looked a lot older than she was. The medium noticed that she had been crying. Fresh tears gathered at the corners of her eyes and her expression grew angry. “Where have you been?” she hissed.

Minhyun let go of the medium and stood next to the figure that was lying on the bed. From this angle and distance, Aron couldn’t make out the face of the patient but still he felt his heart plummet to his feet.

Things were beginning to add up.

The silver cord lead from Minhyun to the patient on the bed and Aron felt his throat close up. He couldn’t breathe. The nervous feeling when Minhyun left. The power outage and sudden cutting off of all calls. The coolness of his skin. The strange way he looked and talked. Remember me.

Aron’s mind had been toyed with, by Minhyun, to keep him in the dark about it. All connections to the news were cut off. Had he really felt him? Did they really kiss? Did they really lie together? Was it all an illusion?

Aron stumbled towards the bed, mind shutting down and heart shattering into a million pieces.

Minhyun.

Minhyun smiled a little, standing next to the bed. “I’m sorry.” He faded, the silver cord dissolving into thin air. A loud, steady beep echoed around the room and Aron screamed.

 

 

 

Aron woke up with a jolt, his chest heaving and sweat plastering his hair to his forehead. His heart was beating rapidly, almost as if it wanted to rip itself out of his chest. The medium gripped the roots of his hair and tried to keep in his sobs. Tears slipped from the corners of his eyes no matter how much he attempted to stop them. He was alone, something that had become the norm.

It was overwhelming, having to experience such lifelike dreams over and over again. He was being tortured; tortured by what could have been

It was so vivid. If the medium didn’t know better he would have believed that all of that had actually happened but in reality only the last dream was real. A memory he would do anything to forget, to do over.

The wedding and honeymoon were a product of his inner desires and plans he used to have for the future. A future he could no longer have. There were things that his mind and the spiritual influence got wrong. His parents were dead. Tom was a homophobe and probably wouldn’t have come to his wedding. Jaewan would have never spoken such words about him and Minhyun. Minhyun’s mother wouldn’t have been so accepting so easily. These facts reflected the deep desires of Aron’s mind, desires of Minhyun’s and how he believed things would have played out. Minhyun was still torturing him.

If only the nightmare was wrong too. The medium ran his hand over the empty spot next to him on the bed. He looked up when a bright light appeared at the foot of the bed. A silhouette took shape and then the vivid details of his lover became visible. 

Minhyun was as beautiful as he was the day he jogged to that corner store and never came back, physically at least. He was wearing a white t-shirt and white jeans and a halo of white light surrounded his brown hair. The sight of him made Aron’s heart ache and more tears filled the medium’s vision. His image was both a lovely sight and a brutal reminder. This way Aron would never forget how sharp his jaw was, or how narrow his eyes were, or how his hair fell just right over his eyebrows. But Aron couldn’t touch him, couldn’t feel the warmth of his fingertips or the caress of his breath. Minhyun was only an image, a mirage that was constantly toying with Aron’s heart.

“Why are you doing this?” The medium asked; his voice was rough from crying.

Of course, he got no answer. He never did.  

“Do you have fun sending me these dreams? Do you like watching me suffer?” Aron’s voice steadily grew stronger and louder. “Is your afterlife so boring that you have to find entertainment in torturing me?”

The spirit remained silent. Aron couldn’t detect a single change of expression from the apparition. This wasn’t Aron’s Minhyun. His boyfriend didn’t act this way. It had been like this since the day Minhyun’s spirit finally let go of his body. Once he gave up, it was like all personality had been destroyed during the process. Aron was facing a stranger wearing Minhyun’s face. That didn’t make it any less painful.

“I can’t take these dreams anymore! Quit playing with my mind! It isn’t fair!” The medium threw a pillow at the figure but the object went right through empty air and hit the wall with a soft thump. “Stop it! This isn’t fair! I can’t take this anymore! Stop haunting my dreams! Just leave me alone!” Aron practically screamed.

Minhyun’s spirit just smiled sadly and faded into nothing. The medium sat there, tears streaming down his cheeks and his t-shirt sticking to his overheated body uncomfortably.

He was gone.

No… don’t leave me… I didn’t… I didn’t mean it. Minhyun, pleasedon’t leave me…” Aron whispered, tragically.

Sobs soon took over and Minhyun’s name became a mantra on his lips. The medium fell to his side on the bed and curled up as if to keep his heart together. The pain was too much and Aron eventually cried himself to sleep.

 

 

 

 

Time seemed to pass oddly. It was as if a chunk of Aron’s time had been erased. It could have been hours, days or weeks since he had so foolishly cast Minhyun’s spirit away. He couldn’t recall what he had done in that lost time or if anything had happened. At this point, he still hadn’t moved from the position he was in, seated on the couch. Who knew how he had made it there in the first place.

He should move; he should find a more comfortable spot to wallow in his depression. The bedroom would seem like an ideal spot but his body wouldn’t cooperate. It was as if his mind wouldn’t allow him to move towards that closed door. It was as if his mind was protecting him from witnessing whatever lay beyond it; an empty bed and shattered memories.

Aron remained where he was. He felt lighter than he had in months. Like a weight had been taken off his shoulders; the pain he felt in his heart had disappeared. He felt at peace.

The medium got to his feet, unsure of why but finding he couldn’t stop himself. A figure was standing across the room, as still as a statue.

He wasn’t bathed in light like the last time. This time he wore the same sweater and jeans he wore the day of his death. Minhyun looked almost real. Aron hardly processed any of it and practically threw himself at the spirit.

Relief flooded his chest. He had come back.

“Min-,” Aron choked out, tears collecting at the corners of his eyes. It seemed all he could do was cry. “I’m so sorry – I didn’t mean it –”

Before he could think anything through, the shorter male threw his arms around the apparition. He expected empty, cold air, but instead Aron felt warmth. Under his fingertips, he felt solid, warm flesh. Minhyun was real.

“What?” Aron wondered aloud, gazing up into the deep brown eyes of his lover.

Minhyun easily stepped away from the medium’s hold and drifted along the floor, making no sound. He passed through the door to the bedroom as if it wasn’t there. He was still a spirit, he still wasn’t physically there. But Aron could have sworn he had felt him. He could touch him.

Aron closed his eyes and once he opened them, he was suddenly in his bedroom. Minhyun was there, standing at the side of the bed, staring at him. The medium noticed something else in the room.

There was a cord suspended from the fan, tied around the neck of a hanging body. Socked feet dangled above the floor and the body slowly turned until the face was recognizable.

It was Aron’s body.

The past two days hit the medium like a ton of bricks and he gasped loudly, hands going to his throat on their own accord. His depression, his despair, the loneliness, the heartbreak, the suffering; it was all there. Having dealt with the dreams for so long after Minhyun’s departure from this plane and having cast his spirit away, only to regret it right after. It was all too much.

Aron had ended it. It was all to be with Minhyun.

“Min, you understand right?” Aron asked, stumbling towards the taller male. They were both spirits now, drifting in the dimension between Earth and the Afterlife. “I did this – it was all for you.”

Minhyun stared at him; a sad, pitying smile graced his lips. “No, this wasn’t for me. This was all for you.”

His figure faded away and Aron was left utterly alone, even in death. 


I am prepared for the pitch forks and torches. 

I do believe this chapter is a little far fetched but it's fiction so who cares. I hope it wasn't confusing with the 'dream or reality' thing. Any questions just ask. I feel really bad for destroying Minron like this and I promise not all my current or future fics will be as depressing. 

I would really appeaciate comments. Look forward to more Minron from me. Thanks for reading!