Sugar & Bumpy Steps

Messenger of the Deceased

This third part addresses homophobia and I just wanted to make it clear that in no way does this story reflect the true opinions of the charcters. I kind of went a little overboard in my opinion and Aron's views are a reflection of mine, mostly. Please keep an open mind and don't critisize me too much.


It was one of the days both Aron and Minhyun had nothing going on. Minhyun had permanently moved into his boyfriend’s apartment a week ago and all his stuff was finally unpacked and given its own place. Since the younger brunet had moved in, they had grown even more inseparable and their friends were beginning to tease Aron about being whipped. He could very much admit that he was.

Minhyun had tried getting Aron to agree to go on a full apartment clean up again but Aron had had enough of his boyfriend’s cleanliness during the last few days of unpacking so he decided to choose what they were going to do for himself. The older brunet had decided that it was time Minhyun learned how to cook some European/American dishes since he loved them so much.

So here they were, wearing the matching classic striped aprons Aron’s sisters had sent both of them last Christmas. The two of them had their sleeves rolled up and the medium was showing Minhyun how to knead Italian bread. Aron’s grandparents had sent them a bread maker with Grace and Hannah’s gifts, so they were making it from scratch.

“C’mon, use force, Min,” Aron directed, taking his boyfriend’s hands in his own and moving them to knead the bread dough.

“I was!” The younger brunet defended.

“You knead like a girl,” Aron teased. “Actually, most girls knead better than you do.”

“Oh, you’re going to get it!” Minhyun threatened, dipping his fingers in the flour sprinkled all over the counter and flicking it right at Aron’s face.

The white powder hit the medium right across the nose and he gapped. “Yah!” With a quick toss of flour right in Minhyun’s hair, Aron declared war on his boyfriend and the two began battling it out, getting flour everywhere.

Minhyun yielded first once his black shirt and apron looked like a snowman had thrown up on them. Aron burst out laughing and Minhyun quickly joined him. Once the pair of them calmed down again, Minhyun ruffled his boyfriend’s head, white powder raining down at their feet.

“You know what, you’d look really hot as a blond,” Minhyun suddenly concluded.

“Are you suggesting that I get my hair dyed?”

“Well, it wouldn’t be a bad idea. I think it would be a nice change.” The younger brunet was grinning, running his flour covered fingers through his boyfriend’s hair.

“Fine; if I dye my hair blond you have to get a piercing.”

“Deal; I get to choose where though. I’m pretty sure I know where you’d make me get it and there is no way I am piercing that.”

Aron snickered. “I was going to suggest ears actually. If you pierced down there we wouldn’t be able to do anything for at least a month.”

“The torture!” Minhyun dramatically announced and laughed. “Will you get a piercing too? You’d look good with an earring.”

Aron attempted to wipe some flour off of Minhyun’s cheek and shrugged. “Maybe. Before we do anything though, we need to finish this bread.”

“Then clean,” Minhyun added, smacking his hands together and creating a white cloud that rained down onto the already covered floor.

“Yes, yes, you clean freak,” the medium teased and pressed his palms into the neglected dough. “Now get kneading.”

Aron jumped a few feet in the air, a squeak leaving his lips when a pair of hands suddenly squeezed his . “Hey!”

Minhyun was smirking, his hands still groping the shorter male. “You said to ‘get kneading’; you didn’t say what to knead.”

“I have such a boyfriend,” Aron sighed in English, more to himself than Minhyun since he was the only one that could understand the words.

Minhyun’s lips met the older brunet’s ear, his hot breath fanning the side of his boyfriend’s face. “You sound so y speaking English. Say something else."

“My boyfriend just keeps getting bolder and bolder. You y vixen,” Aron murmured in English, Minhyun’s wandering hands making his body begin to shiver.

“Mmmm, I can just imagine what you’re saying.” The medium gasped when sneaky teeth tugged on his left earlobe. “You should get this ear pierced with diamond studs,” Minhyun suggested, his voice deep with desire.

The typical innocent and shy Minhyun was gone and the y and dominant Minhyun had appeared. Aron couldn’t say that he minded when the bread was forgotten again and his very persuasive boyfriend led him towards their bedroom.

 

 

 

Aron had been suggesting it for a while and had finally broken Minhyun’s resolve down.  The medium could understand why the younger male didn’t want to take this step but it was time Minhyun really came out and showed everyone he loved who he really was. Aron, after countless arguments and tantrums, had finally convinced Minhyun to visit his parents and introduce his boyfriend to his family.

After a year together, Minhyun could already call Aron’s sisters his family after frequent Skype calls but Aron had only officially seen Minhyun’s sister, Sujin briefly when she dropped off something Minhyun needed from his parents’ house. He had never met Minhyun’s parents. The younger male only visited them when he was forced to for holidays and met up with his sister for coffee, without Aron. What Minhyun didn’t know is that Aron had been getting to know his sister over the phone for the past two months when she called one night and her brother wasn’t home. At least Minhyun had given her his new house number.

It wasn’t until Minhyun had a reading period for University on the twenty-third and twenty-fourth and didn’t have to go to class that the couple actually had the chance to go. The younger male contacted his parents, notifying them of his surprise visit and his guest. The pair of them packed a few things for the two day stay in the Hwang household and they got on the KTX subway from Seoul to Busan. The three hour ride was pretty comfortable and the air wasn’t overly chilly for the end of October.

Minhyun’s childhood home was exactly as Aron had expected it to be. Minhyun’s sister answered the door and hurried the two males inside. Sujin hugged her younger brother tightly and reprimanded him for avoiding her. Aron could tell that Minhyun had really missed her.

The bubbly female version of Minhyun moved on from her brother and threw her arms around the medium. “It’s so good to finally meet you face-to-face! Ah, my brother was right; you do look good with blond hair.” She winked and laughed.

She reminded Aron of a less vulgar version of his own sister, Hannah. The blond’s heart clenched with homesickness.

“Wait, why are you two so familiar?” Minhyun had finally caught on.

Aron smiled a little hesitantly. “I’ve kind of been talking to her over the phone for at least two months…”

“What? Why did you tell me?”

Aron opened his mouth to give a poor excuse but Sujin came to his rescue. “Because I asked him not to. I wanted to get to know him on my own terms. Enough questions, mom and dad are waiting for you in the living room. I’ll put all your stuff in the guest bedroom.”

“Are you sure you don’t need any help getting it all up there?” Aron asked, the manners his parents engraved in him surfacing.

“I’m fine. They want to meet you. Go, go.” She shooed them away and lugged their stuff upstairs.

Aron noticed the expression on his boyfriend’s face and took his hand, squeezing it as a source of comfort. Minhyun smiled softly at him and quickly pecked his lips before pulling his hand away and stepping further into the house. Aron followed after him silently.

“Father, mother,” Minhyun greeted, bowing to the man and woman seated in matching armchairs.

Aron stood next to his boyfriend and bowed low. “Thank you for allowing me into your home. I am Kwak Aron.”

“Oh my,” Mrs. Hwang mumbled. “When Minhyun called us about visiting and bringing a guest, I thought it was a girlfriend. I didn’t know he was bringing a friend. I’m a little disappointed…” She laughed lightly.

“Mother,” Minhyun started.

Aron interrupted before the brunet could say anything else, “I understand. I hope you’ll take care of me regardless.” The medium bowed again.

“That accent… you weren’t born in Korea were you?” Minhyun’s father decided to speak up.

“No, sir. I was born and raised in California. I moved to Seoul four years ago.”

“A foreigner? How interesting!” Minhyun’s mother smiled warmly. “Please make yourself at home here. We’ll be having dinner in a few hours.”

“Thank you,” Aron replied, smiling.

Minhyun nudged the blond discretely, silently telling him to follow him out of the room. As the two were entering the hallway, Aron heard Mrs. Hwang speaking to her husband, “I like him, don’t you dear?”

“He seems like he was raised well,” Mr. Hwang answered. The medium was glad that his first impression had gone well.

Minhyun visibly relaxed once they had made it to the guest bedroom. “I haven’t been so tense in my whole life.”

Aron chuckled. “Are you glad you decided to see them?”

“For now. We’ll tell them tomorrow, okay? I want them to be able to get to know how amazing of a person you are before I drop the bomb.”

The medium nodded and took his boyfriend’s hands in his, kissing Minhyun’s knuckles gently. “I’m fine with that. I imagine I should also refrain from mentioning my hobby of speaking with spirits too?” An amused smile graced the blond’s lips.

Minhyun nodded and wrapped his arms around the shorter male. “You’re the greatest.”

“I know.”

The door suddenly cracked open with a soft squeak. “Am I interrupting anything?” Sujin asked, peeking inside.

Minhyun jumped away from the embrace and tried to feign innocence. “Nothing, nothing.”

His sister entered the room laughing. Aron rolled his eyes at his boyfriend’s jumpiness. “Min, we’ve been together for a year, she knows we’ve done more than hug each other."

The younger male just pouted and hit his boyfriend.

“You two are just too cute,” Sujin gushed, smiling widely. “I put Minhyun’s stuff in his old room since mom and dad will expect you both to stay in separate rooms, even though I know differently. You can both stay in here tonight when the folks are asleep and switch out in the morning.” The brunet paused in the doorway, glancing back at her younger brother and his guest. “I’ll come get you guys when dinner is ready so you don’t have to worry about anyone just suddenly walking in. Also, don’t forget, sound can carry pretty easily in this house.” She winked and disappeared, shutting the door behind her.

Minhyun’s cheeks were flushed and Aron was snickering. “She’s nearly as bad as my sisters are.”

“Can you imagine what it would be like if they all met each other?”

“We can’t let that happen,” Aron concluded immediately.

Minhyun laughed and took his boyfriend’s hand, leading him into his old bedroom. The couple spent the next two hours exploring the possessions Minhyun had left behind after high school. Sujin found them later on and the three of them headed down to have dinner.

After eating a hearty homemade meal, the conversation was brought into the living room where Mr. and Mrs. Hwang asked Aron a lot of questions about his life back in the States. The medium answered the best he could without giving away his gift. It went pretty well in Aron’s opinion.

Minhyun’s parents retired early into the night and Sujin the television, winking at the two remaining males while shooing them upstairs. “Go have fun!”

Aron tugged his boyfriend upstairs and into the guest bedroom.

“A-Aron,” Minhyun whispered breathlessly, his lips currently being bruised by the persistent lips of his boyfriend.

“Shh, just let me kiss you.” The pair continued, eventually making it to the bed and wrapping themselves up in each other. It didn’t get farther than a heavy make-out session – Aron was still very aware of it being Minhyun’s parents’ house – and they eventually did go to sleep, still in their day clothes.

The next morning, Minhyun escaped into his own bedroom before Aron woke up. He changed into fresh clothes and went down stairs, greeted by his parents. Sujin joined them next and Aron did as well shortly after. Breakfast went over smoothly and Aron was given the chance to go out all day and see the area Minhyun grew up in. It was a beautiful day to do as such and the two of them didn’t get back until nearly dinner.

Minhyun and Aron found Mr. and Mrs. Hwang in the living room. “Did you have a nice day, boys?” Minhyun’s mother asked when she noticed them enter the room.

Aron sat next to Minhyun on the couch and smiled. “Yeah, I’ve never visited anywhere besides Seoul since I moved here. Busan is really nice.”

“I’m glad. The city can get so stuffy sometimes,” Mrs. Hwang commented, sipping from her teacup.

“Mother,” Minhyun spoke up, inhaling deeply. “I have something to announce to you and father.” The medium guessed he needed to announce it before he decided to back out.

“What is it, dear?”

Aron silently took Minhyun’s hand in his, giving him strength to continue. “Aron and I are together.”

“What do you mean, Minhyun?” Mrs. Hwang had confusion all over her face.

“We’re in a relationship, a romantic one.” His voice shook by the end and Aron rubbed circles into the back of his hand.

Both of Minhyun’s parents remained silent for at least a whole minute. It was as if the whole concept stumped them. Mrs. Hwang spoke first, “Darling, are you sure you aren’t confused?”

Minhyun wavered but found his voice again. “I love him, Mom.”

“No, you do not!” Minhyun’s mother snapped, anger rushing forward all at once. “You must be confused! You must still be mourning!”

“I’m not!” Minhyun’s nails were digging into Aron’s hand but the medium stayed a pillar of support by his boyfriend’s side. “I’m so happy with him! A man, I’m happy with a man!”

No!” The brunet woman demanded. “You can’t be! He- he must have done something!” Aron flinched at the harsh, almost curse-like way Minhyun’s mother spoke about him. It was a complete one-eighty to the way she spoke about him the day before. “That foreigner must have brought over a disease. My child does not like boys! My Minhyun is a good boy. You’re going to find a nice, pretty girl and get married and have four kids and live happily ever after.”

“Mrs. Hwang,” the medium started, choosing to speak finally.

He was cut off. “Don’t you dare speak! I don’t want to hear whatever comes out of your disgusting mouth! I’m sure your parents are ashamed. Or perhaps they encouraged this? They certainly didn’t raise you properly.”

Mother!” Minhyun exclaimed, shocked at her behaviour.

“Do not defend him, Minhyun. He isn’t worth it. I raised you better, unlike this foreigner’s parents. I want him out of my house.”

Aron gripped his free hand into a fist, stranding up with a controlled rage in his eyes. “I would say ‘with all due respect’ but since you’ve shown me absolutely no respect in the last five minutes, I won’t. I will not sit here silently while you bash my parents, my nationality, nor the man I love. My parents are dead, for your information, and they raised me to be a smart, respectable young man worthy of their praise. They would be proud of who I am today. Just like your son, who is proud to bear your family name. You raised Minhyun to be a caring, gentle, successful person who I want to spend the rest of my life with.

“My parents had no effect on my ual preference. They raised me to be an accepting person of all races, religions, cultures and ual orientations. They loved me for who I am and would have supported me unconditionally in all my decisions. Also, being born on American soil has no relation to who I fall in love with. I am proud of my country, my state because we’ve finally overcome another issue and have broken free from the prejudice you seem to be entrapped in. I’m very grateful that your close-minded views didn’t affect Minhyun to the point where he would never be able to find the courage to stand before you today and tell you about this part of him.”

“How dare you!” Mrs. Hwang interjected. “You have no right to come into my home and speak to me like this! I am appalled that my son has even brought the likes of you here! You’ve tainted him! My Minhyun used to be a good child. He had that pretty brunet girl from a good family at his side. They were perfect for each other. But after she-” She cut off as if recalling a bad memory. “Minhyun darling, stop being so swayed by this foreigner. I know you want to find a pretty girl and have a proper family. Make your mother proud.”

Aron’s anger didn’t stop increasing as the woman continued talking. He wouldn’t hear anymore of it. “Being gay doesn’t define who you are; it’s just a piece of information that makes up who you are. It isn’t a disease or something that can be cured or changed. People were born that way, and like every other individual on this planet, they deserve to be treated properly. I understand the age and status levels of this country and how those older and those with a higher class deserve respect. Well, where I come from, we show respect to everyone, no matter what. Your lack of respect towards me – based on my personal love life in fact – goes to show me how much respect from me you have earned.    

“I apologize for urging your son to come here and reveal this secret of his. I thought it would be beneficial to your relationship but I now understand why he was so nervous to tell you. I pity you, Mrs. Hwang. Because of your judgemental opinions, you may just have lost your only son to this ‘diseased foreigner’. We’ll be going now.”

A bright light appeared over the shoulder of Mrs. Hwang. Aron realized after a moment that it wasn’t something anyone else in the room could see. The light took shape and the figure smiled warmly. “Thank you for taking care of him, Aron. Make him happy,” the spirit faded and the echo of Minhyun’s girlfriend’s voice rang through the medium’s ears.

It took another moment for the blond to return his attention to the two people seated in front of him. He bowed deeply once and his heel, pulling Minhyun after him. His boyfriend seemed to be in shock until they made it to the guest bedroom upstairs. Once they were behind closed doors, Minhyun broke down sobbing.

Aron led them to the end of the bed and just held him. “I’m sorry I made you do that, Min. If I knew she would react that way, I would have never suggested it. I’m so sorry for putting you through that. Forgive me.”

Minhyun shook his head fervently. “You don’t have anything to be sorry about, Ronnie. If you hadn’t suggested it when you did, I would have had to tell them eventually. It wouldn’t have been able to remain a secret forever. I’m just so glad that you’re here with me. Thank you for defending me. I’m so sorry about the horrible things my mother said.”

The older male wiped the remaining tears off his boyfriend’s cheeks and kissed his forehead. “She said them, not you. But to have your own mother – I can’t believe she could say such things. You shouldn’t have had to hear any of it. You don’t deserve that. I may have just permanently damaged your relationship with your parents. I’m sorry-”

Minhyun cut the blond off mid sentence by giving him a quick kiss. “Stop it. They may be family, but you’re family too. The way she was speaking about you and how my father didn’t stop her or say anything at all – it’s unacceptable. She hurt you and bashed your family and culture without knowing any of the important details. I’m so appalled at them. Can we please just go home?”

Aron nodded and embraced Minhyun once more before beginning to pack up for their long train ride back to Seoul. As soon as they were ready to leave, Sujin came home to a tense, silent house. She noticed Minhyun’s red eyes the minute she walked in and saw the bags in Aron’s hands.

“What happened?”

“We told them and we’re no longer welcomed into the house. We’re going home.”

Sujin covered and threw her arms around her brother. “I’m so sorry, Minhyunnie. I’ll visit you often and I’ll come to your wedding, okay?”

Minhyun smiled softly, his eyes beginning to tear up again. “Who said anything about a wedding?”

“Oh shush. As if you two aren’t obviously going to become old and cranky together. I demanded to be your maid of honour.”

“You’ll have to fight with my two sisters for that position,” Aron piped up, grinning.

Sujin giggled and hugged the medium. “I will. Thank you for defending him. I’ll be happy to call you my brother-in-law.”

“Why are we suggesting a wedding? It’s too early for a wedding!” Minhyun demanded.

“If I have any say at all, there will be a wedding,” Aron promised the pouting female, winking.

Sujin grinned. “I’m holding you to that. One of you has to call me when you get home so I know you got there safe.”

“Yes, mom,” Minhyun chimed; kissing his sister on the head before he took one of the bags Aron was holding and lead him outside.

“Bye, baby brother! Bye, ghost boy!” Sujin waved as the two turned back, waving as well. Aron was glad at least Minhyun’s sister remained supportive. The younger male wouldn’t be able to survive without at least one family member still talking to him, no matter how much he denied otherwise.

 

 

 

“Min, baby, come join me,” Aron tempted, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend from behind.

“I’m busy, Ron.”

The blond pouted and leaned over the back of the couch, kissing behind Minhyun’s ear. “But it’s nicer to soak with some company, don’t you think?”

“I think you’re capable of taking one bath without me. You managed fine before we started dating.”

Though that was true, before they started dating Aron hardly used the bath. The shower was always quicker but since he was lucky enough to have room for a bath to be installed, the medium loved to use it to its full potential. Minhyun just didn’t see that while he was busy writing a paper for one of his classes. Even though his parents had pretty much disowned him three months prior, Aron could see that Minhyun was still trying his best to not disappoint them with his education.

Sighing softly, the blond took a sneakier approach. “I want you, Minhyun,” he whispered huskily right in his boyfriend’s ear in English.

Minhyun shivered. “Why must it be right now?”

“Because there is a steamy tub of hot water ready for use in the bathroom. That very fact just makes me want to have you in there with me. You really can’t blame me when you’re so y.”

The younger male exhaled and shut the lid of his laptop, getting to his feet. “I can’t really work right now anyway. Maybe the steam will clear my head.”

“Just admit that the thought of me in the bath entices you too much to continue working on a boring English paper.” Aron smirked.

“You could have helped me with said English paper, you know. To think that I have a boyfriend fluent in the language but I have yet to have any assistance with the class from him.” Minhyun pouted.

“That would be cheating,” the medium replied, shutting the bathroom door behind them.

“No it wouldn’t! You’d just be like a tutor that I don’t have to pay.”

Aron laughed. “I’d make you pay me still, just not with money.” He smirked and winked.

Minhyun stuck his tongue out at him childishly and stripped off his clothing, layer by layer. The blond followed suit a moment later and the both of them got situated in the bath, Aron leaning back up against Minhyun’s chest. The older of the two reached back and wrapped his arms around the brunet’s neck, bringing his head forward until their lips connected.

The kissed lazily, with absolutely no rush. Aron savoured the feeling of Minhyun’s mouth against his and his fingers sinking into his blond hair. Nights like these were definitely enjoyed.

“Mmm, I bet you wouldn’t mind paying me,” Aron commented, still connected to Minhyun’s lips.

“I don’t think so either,” was the breathy answer.

“Want to make a deposit?”

A smile stretched across Minhyun’s lips and he deepened the kiss, exploring his boyfriend’s mouth with more fervour. The medium tangled his fingers in the damp hair at the back of the younger male’s neck. Aron eventually broke away from Minhyun’s lips and trailed his mouth along his boyfriend’s jaw to his ear. His teeth tugged on the black piercing Minhyun was currently wearing, eliciting a moan from the man behind him.

“A-Aron,” Minhyun mumbled, his eyes slipping closed and his hands wandering down the blond’s chest.

“Keep going, baby,” Aron urged in English, his voice muffled from still teasing Minhyun’s earlobe with his teeth.

The brunet very enthusiastically continued until he was interrupted by the phone beginning to ring. Aron groaned when Minhyun stopped what he was doing and got out of the water, pulling a robe on and disappearing to answer the phone.

The medium pouted as he waited, silently irritated at whoever called and interrupted them. His pout went on for a good fifteen minutes until he began to wonder just what was taking Minhyun so long. Maybe it was Ren and the two were discussing their next shopping trip? Or maybe it was Sujin, asking for the latest update on their lives? Whoever it was, they were taking away from Aron’s wet Minhyun time.

The blond got out of the bath and wrapped a towel around his waist, padding into the living room, hair dripping and feet making marks on the hardwood. The phone had been discarded at Minhyun’s feet and the younger male was hunched over, his hands over his mouth as he muffled his sobs.

Aron didn’t waste another moment and practically flew to his boyfriend’s side. “Min baby, what’s wrong? What happened?” He had no idea who it could have been.

“M-my dad called me,” he mumbled, sniffling.

The blond was immediately in protective mode. Of all people, he was not expecting Mr. Hwang to be calling. Aron wrapped his arms around the crying brunet and held him until he calmed down enough to continue explaining.

“H-he asked me if you make me happy. He said that it doesn’t really matter who it is, as long as I’m happy and will be taken care of. He said that my mother is mostly upset about having no grandchildren, but he said there are other ways. My dad isn’t completely comfortable with the idea but he said it doesn’t really matter if he is or not since it’s my life.” Minhyun smiled and let out a sound that was a mix between a sob and a laugh. “He’s going to try and talk to my mom.”

Aron smiled and kissed the top of Minhyun’s head. “That’s great, Min.”

“I’m so happy. I thought I lost them forever.”

“There’s no way it would have been forever. You’re their son. No parent can permanently cut all ties off with their son for such a stupid reason; especially if that son is you.”

Minhyun laughed a little and tucked his head under Aron’s chin. “Thank you, Ronnie. You’re good at making me feel better.”

“I just like seeing your smile,” Aron replied, smiling at the cheesiness.

“I love you."

“I love you too.”

The two of them shared a chaste kiss, temporarily forgetting the full bath in the other room and Minhyun’s unfinished English paper.

 

 

 

Minhyun clutched the bouquet of white roses in his hands; the crunch of their boots was the only sound in the silent cemetery. Aron was keeping him company today. Minhyun felt it was only right to formally introduce his boyfriend to his girlfriend. Today was her birthday and the pair of them wanted to pay their respects.

The brunet stopped in front of a giant case of memorials and knelt down on the snowy ground in front of her personal shelving slot. There were numerous pictures and flowers and ornamental things inside the glass case. He laid the flowers in front of the grave. Aron stood behind him, wanting to give him a moment somewhat alone.

“Hi, it’s been a while hasn’t it? I’m sorry I haven’t visited recently. I’m sure you know that my life is pretty busy right now.” Minhyun smiled slightly. “I miss you. I know it’ll be two years soon but I really don’t think I will ever stop missing you. You were my best friend. I know that you knew about how I used you. I’m really sorry about that. I did terrible things to you and you took it all to keep my secret safe. You were an amazing friend. Thank you.

“As you probably already know, I have a boyfriend. You’ve sort of formally met him before too. Can you believe it’s the crazy medium that came up to me with your message? I thought he was insane and now look at me, I’m head over heels.”

Aron smiled widely at the figure that appeared standing beside Minhyun. He placed a hand on Minhyun’s shoulder. “She’s here.”

The younger male looked up, a little surprised that her spirit showed up. “Where is she?”

“She’s standing on your left. She’s smiling.”

Minhyun smiled, his eyes beginning to water. “I’m glad you’ve come. I wanted to ask your opinion of him. I don’t know how trustworthy it can be though since it’ll be translated through him but I hope he’ll communicate word-for-word.”

The medium chuckled lightly. “I will. She put her hand on your other shoulder. Can you feel it?”

The brunet closed his eyes and shivered a little. “Yes.” He sniffled. “Do you approve of him? Is he worthy of my love? I don’t want to be with someone my best friend doesn’t approve of.”

Aron listened to the response and smiled. “She approves. Believe it or not, she actually told me to take care of you when we first met. She knew something before we even knew each other. I think she was encouraging our relationship from the start.”

Minhyun placed his hand on top of both his shoulders, grabbing both her and Aron’s hands. “I’m glad. Even if she didn’t approve, I honestly think I wouldn’t be able to let you go anyway.”

“Am I really that amazing?”

Minhyun smiled and looked up at the blond. “Yes, just don’t let your ego inflate anymore than it already has.”

Aron snickered and placed a single forget-me-not flower next to the bouquet. “She’s laughing at how love struck we are.”

The younger brunet smiled. “She probably has a few choice things to say to us.”

The medium chuckled. “I will, you can be certain of that. If not, I give you full permission to haunt my dreams.” He was replying to the spirit which left Minhyun giving him a confused glance. Aron explained, “She’s more or less threatening me to protect and take care of her best friend.”

Minhyun smiled and slowly got to his feet, taking his boyfriend’s hand off his shoulder and intertwining their fingers. “Don’t haunt his dreams too much. He’s bad enough of a sleeper without the random night terrors.”

Aron poked the brunet’s side and squeezed his hand. “She has to go.”

Minhyun wiped a stray tear off his cheek and nodded. “We’ll visit again soon.”

“She’ll visit us sooner,” Aron replied, grinning as he watched her light fade into the dim afternoon light.

 

 

 

Aron was pulled out of his deep reminiscing by a sharp jab in the rib. The medium focused on the tall figure looming above him. “What was that for?”

“I was calling your name at least five times. Were you in ghost land?” Minhyun asked, hands on his hips.

“No, sorry. I was day dreaming.” Aron rubbed his eyes and sat up on the couch. “When did you get back?”

“Just now.”

The medium checked the clock hanging on the wall. “Of course. Since you went out shopping with Ren and JR, you had to at least take four hours.” He snagged Minhyun’s wrist and pulled him down so he was seated in his lap.

Minhyun smiled and looped his arms around his boyfriend’s neck. “We would have taken longer but JR has evening class. Plus, I missed you.”

“You saw me this morning,” Aron reminded him, resting his hands on the younger male’s hips.

“That was this morning. Oh!” Minhyun suddenly shot up and rummaged through one of his shopping bags near the door. He returned to the blonde’s lap quickly and held up a white t-shirt with an interesting eagle pattern on the left side. “You said the American animal was an eagle? I thought I’d wear it when we visit.” A bright grin stretched across the younger male’s face.

Aron couldn’t help but laugh. Minhyun was just too cute sometimes. “You’ll look great.” The medium pecked the brunet’s nose and smiled. “My sisters are really excited. Make sure you’re prepared, they’re crazier in person.”

Minhyun laughed. “I’ll survive. Between their Skype calls and living with Sujin for a good chunk of my life, I think I’m plenty prepared. I can’t wait. Are you glad to be visiting home?”

The blond nodded. “It’s been so long. I don’t know if I’ll even want to come back after I feel Californian sun on my skin.” He heaved a big sigh, imagining the warmth.

Minhyun pouted. “You’re coming back with me, whether you like it or not. I’m not losing you to the Sun. That would be a giant blow to my pride.”

Aron chuckled and leaned back on the couch, pulling Minhyun with him so they lay chest to chest. “You’re definitely worth coming home to. The Sun doesn’t compare.”

“You’re so cheesy sometimes,” the younger male replied, a smile on his lips.

“But you love it,” Aron chimed, grinning in return.

“I can’t deny that."

With that, all conversation and reminiscing was put on hold as the two became distracted with each other. The bumps in the road had passed and Aron chose to make use of the smooth trip while it lasted. 


Thank you so very much for reading this short fic. I'd really appreciate feedback.