CHAPTER 4

Shall We Dance... Again?

Nathalie’s POV

             “Bye, Mina!” I called out to my student as she left the studio with her mom. The kids have again left a mess. I made a few stretches before heading towards the cabinet. I got the broom and began sweeping from the left part of the studio to the right. Everyday seems to have become a routine to me.

             I was about to collect all the dirt with the dust pan when Dara suddenly spoke.

             “Leave the cleaning till later. We should prepare for the party.”

             “It’s too early, Dara. We still have time left.” I continued collecting the dust. I can’t stand seeing the studio in a mess. “Why don’t you help me so we can finish this up early?” She teasingly stomped her feet. Dara’s actually months older than me, but she can be very childish at times. But, she’s a very understanding person, she’s one of the bests. So, we both cleaned up the mess while I hum a song.

             And then, out of the blue, she said, “Wait. We still haven’t bought a present for her!”

             I was blown out of the water. “Eh? So, what are you planning to buy for her?”

             “I don’t know!”

             I facepalmed. “We should dress up now. Perhaps, there are shops near the SM building?” She nodded. “We still have two hours before the party. Let’s buy something for her there, then. It doesn’t have to be very costly. It’s the thought that always counts.” I said as I finished cleaning the mess up.

             “So, what are we going to buy for her exactly?”

             “I don’t know. We’ll see when we get there.”

             We both headed upstairs. I first took a bath and then changed to my usual getup, a simple t-shirt, jeans and sneakers. I also brought with me a small body bag. I tied my hair into a loose bun. When I was finished, I went down the studio and unplugged everything that is to be unplugged, checked and double checked everything while waiting for Dara.

             When she was finished, we quickly made our way out of the studio. I kinda again ‘ran’ slash walked quickly to where the cabs wait for passengers. We were like waiting for hours when an empty cab passed by.

             “SM Entertainment building, please.” Dara said to the driver. I honestly don’t know where that building is, but the driver must know. SM Entertainment must be really famous, but I’m like a prisoner in the studio and I just barely go out, only if I needed to buy something.

              It was a long ride. I can see the panic in Dara’s eyes. She kept on checking her watch. I held her hand to make her relax. Glad that helped. And after a few minutes, the cab stopped in front of a building. My, it was a huge one. I was struck in awe. Dara paid for our fare and went out of the cab.                    

            I looked around the vicinity, hoping to see something like a gift shop or maybe a department store. Fortunately, there’s a flower shop across the pedestrian, which is a bit far for my ankles.

            “Look, there’s a flower shop over there. We can buy her flowers.” I said as I pointed at the shop and looked at her for her approval.

            “That’s a great idea! There were also some department stores. There must be some gift items there.” She pointed at the stores near the left side of the building.

            “So, what if I’ll buy the flowers? You buy the gift?” I said. I’m really not good in buying gifts, especially that I don’t really know Donna personally. But, I think I know how to choose a good arrangement.

            “Okay then. Let’s go now and meet here after an hour. How does that sound?”

            “Sounds great to me.” I said with a grin. So we both parted ways. After like a hundred minutes, I finally have reached my destination. I entered the shop and found so many flower arrangements.

            I see a lot of flowers, but I still can’t decide what kind to give Donna. I don’t know her favorites.

            “Ma’am, may I help you?” A lady approached me; she must have sensed my confusion.

            “Oh, yes. I’m looking for a gift, for a friend. You make flower arrangements, right?”

            “Yes, ma’am. You can choose what kind of arrangement you like in our album, over there, ma’am.” The lady pointed to a corner. A man was there too, choosing from the pictures. I was behind him, waiting for him while he chose.

            It was taking actually some time. He must not have made his decision up to now. I was getting a bit impatient so I approached the hooded man.

            “Um, excuse me. Do you mind if I take a look too?” I said with a smile, trying to hide my impatience. I looked at him, he seems so familiar, I just can’t put a finger on it.

            “You?” He finally said. I was startled, I looked at him dumbfounded. But, when he removed his hoodie and adjusted his bangs to the right, I suddenly remembered, he was the guy at the hospital!

            “You?” I blurted out in reply. I was really shocked. I never really expected to see him again.

            He chuckled. I can’t help but to laugh with him.

            “Hey.” I said, lost for words.          

            “Hey.” He replied.

            “This is awesome. Umm... who would have thought that we’ll meet again?”

            “Yeah. What a coincidence.” He said, smiling.

            “What are you doing here?” I was shocked with my own words. I closed my mouth with my hands.  I mentally cussed myself. “Of course, you’re here to buy flowers. I’m sorry. I’m being stupid.”

            He just laughed and I just nodded awkwardly, I can feel my cheeks burning in embarrassment.

            “Have you been waiting there?” He asked out of the blue.

            “Actually, yes. Still can’t decide what to give your girlfriend?”

            “Girlfriend? I have none. It’s for a friend.”

            “Ohh.”

            “And I seem to be having a hard time picking. How about you?”

            “For a friend, too.” I said before he can say anything.

            He just smiled and nodded. So, we both looked at the album together... quietly. I can feel the awkwardness. It actually took a long time before we have finally made our final choice. He chose an arrangement with so many roses.

            “Girls love roses, right?” He asked me.

            “Not all, actually.” I replied. Which is true, in my case, I’m not really fond of roses.

            “You don’t like roses?” He asked, confusion painted on his face.

            “It’s not that I don’t like roses. I just don’t like the usual, the common thing, and the stereotypes. I’m fond of things that are different and unique but still can stand out among the others.” I explained.

            He was listening to me intently and that’s when I finally chose an arrangement with more of Baby’s Breath and a flower I don’t know. He asked why I chose them.

            “I have a thing for Baby’s Breaths. I don’t know what flower is this, but I think it matches well with Baby’s Breaths. I just find them cool and unique, simple yet elegant, cute and pretty. They add beauty to an arrangement even when they’re just little. And I used to pick some on my grandma’s garden when I was a kid. And that’s when I started to get fond of them.” I explained, he just looked at me. I looked back with an uneasy smile.

            The arrangements took time, actually. But the time never really crossed my mind. I patiently waited while we carry on a conversation. His arrangement was finished first. They looked elegant. I thought he’ll leave the shop first, but he waited for me, saying he wanted to see what my arrangement will look like.

            It just came to my mind that we still don’t know each other’s names. We were kinda lost in our conversation.

            “We’ve been talking for hours here but I still don’t know your name.” I said.

            “You don’t really know me? My name?” I just looked at him, confused. “I’m Luhan. The name rings a bell?”  I just again looked at him, this time, dumbfounded. He must be disappointed but he just laughed it off.

            “Are you famous or something? I don’t know... sorry. I just came here in Korea from the US. Just been here for like 3 months. I’m pretty outdated.” I said with a nervous chuckle. I maybe talking to a celebrity or a performer, a politician, maybe.

            “It’s okay.” He said, still chuckling. “It’s better if you just didn’t know. It makes me comfortable. We’re both comfortable, right?” I nodded. “Now, what’s your name?”

            “Nathalie. ___ Nathalie.”  And then, as if on cue, the counter bell rang and I saw the arrangement. My, it’s wonderful. After paying, I proudly held it in my hand and showed Luhan. He was amazed.

            “Girls really are good at these things.” I laughed at his remark. We both left the shop.

            “So, where are you headed?” He asked me. “Do you want me to bring this for you?” He said, referring to my arrangement.

            “Oh, no no. It’s okay. It wasn’t that heavy.” I looked at my watch, and to my surprise, it’s past 20 minutes our meeting time. “Oh, no. I’m late.”  I said. I looked at Luhan, who is taller than me. “I have to go! A have a friend that is waiting for me. I’m really late. I’m totally dead meat. Luhan, thank you.”

            “No, I should be the one thanking you. It’s been a long time since I had that kind of conversation. I really felt comfortable.” I’m not really sure about what he meant. “Are you sure you don’t want me to bring that for you?”

            “No, it’s really okay.” I paused, waiting for him to say something. “So, I have to go now.”

            “Okay, then. I hope to see you again.”

            “Yeah, me too.” That’s all I can say, but I mean it. Really.

            I realized we’re both just standing there. He must be waiting for me to go. So, I turned and headed towards our meeting place. I again fought the urge to look back, but I can’t help it. I turned my head. He was walking, and then he suddenly turned. We met each other’s gaze again. He smiled and I smiled back. He waved his hand and I waved back. I was in awe.

            I ‘ran’ towards the meeting place and saw Dara waiting, a bit impatiently, I think.

            “There you are!” She said as soon as she saw me. “Where have you been? I was getting worried.”

            “I’m sorry. It’s just the flowers took time.” I hold out the arrangement for her to see.

            “They’re pretty!” She said, admiring how the flowers were arranged.

            “Thanks. So, what did you buy for Donna?”

            “It actually took time, too. I just can’t choose.” She held out a beautifully-wrapped box. “It’s a purse. Quite expensive even if it’s on sale. But, it’s really pretty. If only I can buy them for myself.” She said with a chuckle. “I hope she’ll like it.”

            “Of course. I know she will.”

            And with that, we both headed to where SM Entertainment building is, my mind replaying the scenes awhile ago.