CHAPTER 5

Shall We Dance... Again?

Kai’s POV

           I was just busy fiddling with my fingers when Chanyeol called out.

           “Everyone ready?” I immediately stood up from the couch and followed the others outside. They’re just wearing casual outfits. It’s good to go to the studio knowing that we won’t rehearse.

           As soon as we entered the studio, it was almost filled with people, but not so many, even our managers and some artists from SM. They’ve like turned the studio into a party hall. Donna approached us and led us to where the foods are. We greeted her a happy birthday. I just got a punch. [A/N: A punch is n iced mixed drink usually containing alcohol and prepared for multiple servings; normally served in a punch bowl.] I noticed that Luhan was still not back.

           “Hey, Luhan’s still not back.” I said to my friends. They just realized and began worrying.

           “Where’d he go?” Chanyeol asked.

           “He’s gone to buy something for Donna. I just don’t know where.” I said, and then Suho got his phone and began calling Luhan. He turned it into loudspeaker so we could also hear.

           “Luhan-ah! Where are you? We’re already here in the studio.”

           “Ah, okay. I’ll just go there. Still here in a store. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

           “Okay, then. Come fast.”

            Good thing, I thought something had happened to him. There were a lot of sasaeng fans near the building. He might come across one of them, or worse, with a bunch. I had another punch when Donna when infront to where the mic is.

            “Hello.” I looked as Donna adjusted the microphone. “There... um, hello guys. Thank you again for coming her to my party. It wasn’t that big, I know. I hadn’t had time preparing, but still, thanks for coming to celebrate one of the most important days in my life. Please, enjoy. And... thank you again!”

            We all clapped and held a toast for her. The party started, the studio was filled with music and dancing people. I was eating some cupcakes and had some chat with the other members when the door opened. Two girls emerged from the door... and they were panting and sweating.

            “Oh, we’re late.” One of the girls said. And then, I can’t seem to take my eyes off the other girl. The one holding a bouquet in her hands, her bun tied untidily but she still looks pretty... she was like massaging her ankle while the other girl helped her stood straight, her face worried. She was, I think, familiar. Have I seen her before? “Are you alright?” She asked.

            “Yeah. Yeah. I’m okay.” She answered, slightly grimaced. 

            Then, suddenly... Donna went over and welcomed them. I had another cupcake as I watched them. The girl still seems to be in pain. She tried to stood straight, but her back was leaned against the wall, stretching her right ankle.

            “Dara! I’m so glad you came.” Donna said as he hugged the girl. “How are you?”

            “I’m fine. I missed you! Happy birthday!” The girl, Dara, said as she gave her a present.

             “Thank you. I missed you too!” Donna said as she accepted the gift. Her eyes turned to the girl beside Dara. “Oh, you must be Nathalie?”

             The girl, Nathalie, made a bow. “Yes, I am. Happy birthday!” She gave her a beautiful flower arrangement. She bowed again. “Nice to meet you.”

              “Dara tells me a lot about you. I hope you’ll get well soon. I’d love to see you dance.”

               She bowed her head, shy. Her cheeks blushed. I think I know her. I just can’t put a finger on it. Nathalie... Nathalie... It’s on the back of my mind, at the tip of my tongue, but I can’t remember. But, she’s really pretty. Everything is like in slow motion except her.

              Then,  someone nudged me, it was Kyungsoo. He seemed to see me staring at her. He just eyed me and I sensed that he was thinking about something. I just knocked it off and got another punch. The door again opened, it was Luhan. Chanyeol and Lay helped him with what he’s carrying, a bouquet and a present. He went over to us first before going to Donna. We were sitting in a couch, eating and drinking.

              “What took you so long?” Suho asked. “You should atleast brought one of us with you.”

              Luhan was just smiling. We were waiting for his answer. After a few seconds, “It’s okay. It’s good to be doing normal things. Shall we give the gifts now to Donna? It’s just a bouquet and a bag. She likes bags, right?”

              “Next time, we should atleast bring someone when we go out.” Suho insisted.

              Even though it’s only Luhan who bought the gifts out of his own money, the presents still appeared to be from us. Haha. We made a formal bow, greeted her a Happy Birthday and gave the presents. She thanked us. I saw Nathalie, the girl from before, sitting near Donna. She was... shocked? And she was looking at... Luhan. And Luhan was looking back at her, surprised.

              After that, we all went back to our places except for Luhan. He was now talking to Nathalie.

            I can’t describe the feeling. But, I still can’t take my eyes off them. They were at the opposite part of the room and I can’t hear what they’re talking about. But, they really seem to know each other.

            “Hey, look at our Luhan.” Chanyeol said. The other members looked at Luhan. “She knows the girl?”

            “I don’t know. I just saw her awhile ago when she came. She’s pretty, huh.” Baekhyun said. I heard the other members agree. She really is beautiful. “Luhan must be interested in her.” I agree. And then I felt a pang in my chest, an indescribable feeling.

            I suddenly stood up. The other members were actually startled.

            “I’ll just go outside, to get some fresh air.” I said before anyone of them could ask.

            And so I immediately went of out of the room, taking a last glance at Nathalie and Luhan. They are still talking, this time with Dara. I held the knob, opened it and went outside. I don’t really know whebre to go but I decided to just go at the building’s rooftop. The sun wasn’t that mad. Just exactly what I needed, a place to think, a place to be alone.