CHAPTER 6

Shall We Dance... Again?

Nathalie’s POV

         “Wait, let me get things clear. You... are a member of a boy group?” Dara asked as I listened, still not believing what my ears had just heard. “And it’s called... Exo?” Luhan nodded with a sheepish grin as he took a sideways glance at me that made me startled. “Wooah. I can’t believe this. I can’t believe you didn’t tell this to me.” Dara said, looking at me.

       “I didin’t really know him before. I’m shocked too.” I explained. I looked over at Luhan, he’s still grinning.

       “Okay. So, how did you to meet each other?”

       “We first met at the hospital.” Luhan answered. “It wasn’t really a good meet-up. We bumped into each other. And then the next one’s a while ago, at the flower shop.”

        Dara nodded and turned to face me. “I really can’t believe you didn’t even say a word about this.”

        “I never got the chance.” I answered, which was true. “I still can’t believe I just bump into a famous person yesterday, and I’m even talking to one now. I don’t know what to say. This is truly daebak.” I said, starstrucked, dumbfounded, in awe.

        “Please don’t be uncomfortable.” He said.

        “Aww, sure sure. Of course, we won’t. Right, Nathalie?” Dara asked as she nudged me.

        “Aah..ahh.. Yeah, of course.” I nodded, still overwhelmed.

        So this was the group Donna’s choreographing steps for. I looked around me and saw the other members, they were all good-looking. I’m not really familiar with the people in Korea’s music industry, so I was getting a bit starstrucked. I wonder how they perform as a group.

        Dara kept talking with Luhan, asking random questions and such. She can be very talkative sometimes. I just listened, sometimes joining in. But, I just preferred being quiet, I don’t want anyone to know I’m nervous. Yes, I’m nervous... because of Luhan. I was lost in my thoughts when my phone rang.

        /ringtone/

        “Oh, someone’s calling.” I got my phone from my bag and checked who it is. “Min’s mom.” I said to Dara. “I’ll just go outside. It’s too loud here. I’ll be back.”

         “Sure.” Dara said, Luhan just nodded. I can feel his eyes following me as I left the room. I shook the thoughts away.

         It’s still noisy even outside the room, the music is too loud. I saw a staircase and climbed through it as soon as the music kind of fade of.

         “Hello.”

         “Ms. Nathalie, my daughter Min can’t attend this week’s dance lesson. It was all of a sudden, we have to go to our province to pay our relatives a visit. I called because I can’t go to the studio. We’ll be leaving tomorrow and there’s still a lot to prepare. I hope I didn’t bother you. Sorry.”

         “No, no, not at all. It’s okay. I’ll just tell Ms. Dara about it. We understand.”

          “Thank you. Thank you.”

          “You’re welcome. Have a safe trip. Please tell Min I say ‘Hi’.”

          “Sure, Miss. Thank you.”

       /End call/

        I checked my phone, 3 messages from Min’s mother. I didn’t feel it vibrate. I mentally face palmed. I looked at the time, it’s still afternoon. The sky’s marvelously orange.

        I was about to go back to the studio when I heard something. I froze in my spot and tried to hear. Music? I think it’s coming from upstairs. I first hesitated to go up but my mind is filled with curiosity so I slowly went up, the music getting louder and louder.

        I saw a door. This time, the music was changed, I pushed my ear near the door and I can hear an unfamiliar song, it was a good one, and I can feel myself making dance steps in my head. I became more curious so I slowly opened the door. It didn’t make a sound, good thing.

        It was the building’s rooftop. And there, in the middle, a man... dancing. He was good, really. I just stood there, unable to make a move, just watching him. The song, with so much ‘Two Moons’ in the lyrics really matched with his steps. ‘Two Moons’ must be its title. I made a mental note to download it as soon as I got home.

        He really was absolutely extraordinary.

        He ended the song with a powerful step, panting... drenched with sweat. I thought of running back down, but it was useless. He has seen me. He was shocked. I took a careless step backward and kinda hit my head against the door.

        “Are you okay?” He suddenly said as he took a step forward.

        “Yeah, yeah. I’m okay.” I said. For a second, we just looked at each other. “I’m sorry. I must’ve disturbed you.” I waited for him to answer, but he just stood there, looking at me. “Uh... uhm... I know it’s... it’s very rude of me to...” I can’t think of anything to say. “Uhh... I’m sorry.”

        “It’s okay.” He finally said.

         Silence. Silence. Silence. He was still looking at me. I awkwardly looked around, just to escape his stare. The rooftop’s really big. I glanced back at him, he’s still looking. I looked around again, and something really caught my eye. I looked the right side of the rooftop. The sunset. I looked at it, dazed.

        “Wow.” It’s been a long time since I last saw a sunset. I saw the guy looked at it too at the corner of my eye. “Daebak, really.” It’s really breathtaking.

         We both watched the sunset... in silence.

         And soon, it was getting dark. I looked back at him and made a bow. “I’m really really sorry for disturbing you. It won’t happen again.” I made a bow again, and swiftly turned back, opened the door and went back down.

         I was at the end of the stairs and paused to catch my breath. It was awkward. But, there’s something in his stares, it’s as if he’s thinking. What’s on his mind? I face palmed. I shouldn’t have gone there. I mentally blamed my curiosity. And then I remembered he’s a member of Exo, I think I sw him while they gave their gifts to Donna. Now, I’m blaming myself. Maybe, that’s why he dances so good. I closed my eyes, trying to shake away all the thoughts. Stupid. Stupid.

          I continued walking back to the studio and found Luhan and Dara still into a conversation, this time with some of the members. Dara stood up from where she’s sitting when she saw me.

         “This is Nathalie. Guys, Nathalie. Nathalie, Exo.” Dara said.

          “Hi. Nice to meet you.” I said as I shook each of their hands. They were all handsome and there are times when I have to look up at them, they’re really tall.

         “Luhan told us about you, saying meeting you was the most interesting thing that had happened to him.” The guy, Chanyeol said. I was shocked with this, and silently hoped that I won’t blush. I looked at Luhan.

         “I didn’t say it like that.” He said. But, it was useless against the other members who kept on teasing him... and me about it. I just stood there, silent. Fighting the urge to smile.

         Then suddenly, we heard something clang. It was Donna, hitting her wine glass with a spoon, asking us for our attention. Someone emerged from the door, it was him... the guy. I still don’t know his name. It’s time for Donna to blow her candles. So, we sang Happy Birthday, clapping our hands. When the song finally ended, Donna made a wish first and blew the candles. We all clapped and cheered for her.

         Kris gave his seat to me, which I shyly accepted. Luhan was standing beside me.

         The party became wilder. It’s actually full of choreographers and dancers, so you’d expect to see a lot dancing. Some of the Exo members danced too. Luhan just clapped his hands beside me. I clapped along too as we watched the others danced. I saw the guy from a while ago, just fiddling with his fingers in a corner.

         It was getting late, I think. After a few minutes, I saw Donna coming up front. She held the mic and we all got ready for her speech. “Hello. So, I’m thanking you all again for coming here. I know it’s a busy month for all of us, but you still took some of your time just to come here and celebrate my birthday with me. Thanks to my co-choreographers and friends who have helped me arrange this simple celebration. To the friends who have come here.” She looked and winked at us as she said it. “To our boys, Exo. I’m expecting a good show for MAMA.” With that, everyone cheered. MAMA? Melon Asian Music Awards? Wow. “To everyone of you, please go home safe and thank you again.” And that ended the party. Some of the guests started piling outside, saying their goodbyes and thanks.

        “Want us to help clean up?” Dara asked Donna. I smiled and helped her with the gifts she’s carrying. Luhan helped too and so as the other members. I saw the guy from a while ago helped too.

         “Oh, no... you can go home now. I can do this.” Donna said. “And boys, you should be resting now, you have a long day tomorrow.” She said to Exo.

         “It’s okay. We’ll rest after we get this done.” D.O. said, carrying the presents to the side, piling it neatly. The other members did the same, too. Dara and I cleaned the mess up.

         When it was all done, Donna thanked us all for helping. We were about to go when Donna called Dara and I. “Thank you guys for coming and of course, for helping me clean all the mess up.”

        We both smiled. “You’re welcome.” I said. “Thanks for inviting, too. We really had fun.”

        “Can I ask you guys a favor?” Dara and I looked at each other. What could that favor be? I hope it’s not to take the garbage out to the dump. I’m pretty tired by now. So, we both nodded. “Can you guys help us with the steps for Exo’s performance? Some of the choreographers were busy with thir daily lives and some were having fights with each other.”

         “Sure!” Dara suddenly said. “Nathalie here’s good with making steps. May it be complicated or simple, youcan count on her for this kind of things.”

          “That’s good.” Donna said, elated.

          “Umm... you guys know I have a problem with my ankle. I may not really be of good help to you. Dara’s good at making steps, too.” I said.

          “Aww, c’mon... we’ll be needing your ideas. Right, Donna?” Dara said, lookin over at Donna for confirmation. She nodded and smiled to me sweetly.

          “Please, Nathalie?”

          And with a defeated sigh, I said yes.

           “That’s great! Thank you so much, Nathalie!” Donna said.

           We then, went out of the studio. I opened the door and saw Luhan, waiting.

           “Luhan!” Dara exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”

          “Oh, I stayed to say goodbye.” Luhan said, he was looking at me. “I hope to see you guys again.” He said and shook hands with the both of us. It’s too formal, but is a cute gesture. I appreciated him waiting for us to go.

          “You’ll see more of us in the following days. Don’t worry about missing Nathalie too much.” I nudged Dara on the shoulder and scolded her with my eyes. Luhan was chuckling softly. “Just kidding.” She finally said, laughing. “So, bye Luhan.”

          “Bye.” He said with a wave. “Bye.” He said to me.

           “Bye.” I said with slight bow. I was going to say something but I stopped myself and just continued walking behind Dara silently as she teased me about Luhan. But, for the first time... all I can hear is myself and Luhan’s voice from a while ago. And this time, I didn’t shook the thoughts away. I like what I’m hearing. I like what I’m seeing in my mind.